Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

4.3

Ratings: 7,578 |  Reviews: 2,435

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.98/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - Of course I love the packaging, as well as the name. I would like to know the story behind the name, but I haven't Googled it or anything yet. Anyway, to the actual ratable criteria of a beers' presentation...Pours an awesome amber/copper color with a thick pillowy white head with excellent retention and some lacing as well. Pretty spectacular appearance, I like it a lot.

Smell - Big breads, a little hop and spices, and a sweetness from I will assume the malt character. Complex, nice.

Taste - The hops in this one are very subdued, especially for what the style traditionally calls for as far as hoppiness is concerned. The sweetness is certainly the prime mover here, although it is not too sweet. Bready, malty character. This is an exceptionally tasty brew.

Mouthfeel - Nice and heavy, goes down smooth and creamy. I really appreciate a good, smooth finishing beer, and this is one. There is a hint of lingering sweetness in the aftertaste that I like too.

Overall - This is a good beer, recommended to try. I do not believe I have much experience with this style, but this is a good beer. If this is indicitive of the style, I think I will like it a lot! Check this one out

4.88/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now I am an IPA man in general but no lie Rogue Breweries Dead Guy Ale is on my top five list of ales, if not the top. First brews of this beer began in the early 90's and the logo of the skeleton with the bee hive is a tribute to the Mayan holiday of the Day of the Dead.

This Mai-bock style ale intrigues the senses with it's beautiful color and, to me, rich aroma. The taste isn't too strong but neither is it too weak. I recommend this beer to both the mild/entry enthusiast to the extreme enthusiast. In my personal opinion you can't go wrong if your hanging with a Dead Guy.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one's delicious. AND I don't even know how old it is!

This beer pours a crystal clear dark amber with bubbles all up over the place. They form a thick, tan head that sticks to the glass very, very well.

It smells both bready and sweet. I'd like to say raisins, but it's really just like fruit cake. It smells like fruit cake in a good way.

But the body isn't as sweet as the smell. There's a lingering honey sweetness in the aftertaste, but it's cut off by a decent wall of bitterness -- just enough to make an appearance. It's thick and slick from the hops, which went great with the stew I ate for dinner.

This is my first Maibock, so I'm not really used to the style. But I like it. I want more of it. I has some of the more pleasant sweet and bready qualities of some Belgian and German ales, but a bite that reminds me of American beers (even though it uses European hops).

Awesome.

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass at wine country Shreveport. Pours a hazy orange with a finger of white head. Nice lacing on the glass. Really nice mild sweet sugary malt aromas. Taste is bitter hop followed but the sweet malts. The hops are surprising since they were barely detected in the aroma but really well balanced and smooth. This is an awesome brew.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%