Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

4.3

Ratings: 7,594 |  Reviews: 2,439

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into a shaker pint: Hazy caramel orange body with 2 fingers of custard-colored head that's a little wavy & retains nicely.

Immediately get a honey-like sweetness & some orange candy in the smell, like an orange creamsicle, a little vanilla. Kind of reminds me of the orange & carrot jello my grandmother makes, sweet & fruit with just a little earthy bitterness, but not much. If I didn't know better, I'd say the vanilla has an almost bourbon character to it, but very subtle. Nice.

A lot of the same characteristics of the aroma come through in the taste: orange, vanilla, caramel, a leafy tea-like bitterness that finishes & lasts in the aftertaste. That bitterness isn't really evident in the aroma, but in the taste it goes a great job of balancing this & making what would be an otherwise super-sweet beer in something very drinkable. There's a little of the stony dryness in the finish, too, that I get from a lot of lagers, so even though I know they use an ale yeast, there's still something lager-esque about this.

Would like a little more body in the mouthfeel, but not bad. Medium-bodied, kind of lightens out toward the end.

This was the first beer I'd ever had from Rogue, in my favorite early days of drinking craft beer, & coming back to it was mighty pleasurable. A good drinker with some assertive character to it that's not going to knock you down.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark copper color that's clear, but not perfectly so. There's about one fingers worth of barely offwhite head which retains itself sufficiently. A nice film of lacing is left on the side of the glass, as well.

S: There's quite a bit of caramel on the nose, and - dare I say - it's faintly chocolaty as well. The noble hops give a nice grassiness to it, and makes it different from the dime-a-dozen IPA with crystal malts and Cascade hops. I don't know why I'm comparing it to the average IPA, I should be thinking of it as a maibock with ale yeast...

T: Tastes exactly like I expected it to - which is a maibock with ale yeast. It has that sort of pumpernickel bread flavor to it I expect from the average bock, only a bit lighter. The finish is pleasantly hoppy, but the problem is, the initial flavors and the finish don't really do much to differentiate itself, so it's kind of one note. I can see why this has a following, though.

M: Rogue did a decent job of keeping this crisp without the lager yeast, but the body itself is too heavy for the flavors they present and the carbonation doesn't make it seem any lighter. Despite that, this is easy to drink.

O: This beer represents a conundrum for me. It's the kind of middle of the road daily drinker I envisioned it would be - but it's priced just out of said middle of the road daily drinker range at $12/6 pk. For that reason, I wouldn't pick this up over offerings from Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, or the like.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales