Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Liked:
3.94/5
Alströms:
4.3

Ratings: 7,559 |  Reviews: 2,432

4.38/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a golden orange with a fluffy white head which stuck around. There were lots of bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

The smell was sweet malts, sour with some fruitiness and prunes.

Taste is pretty sweet, sugars, malts and a bitter after taste.

It had a medium mouth feel quite well carbonated and crisp.

Overall I couldn't drink many of these but once in while make a nice change from IPA's.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a orangy copper with a slight head. Smells a little bready and citric. Generally sweet paired with just a touch of bitterness. Flavor is some caramel malt, some lemon, maybe a little spice of some kind and it can also be a little watered down at times. Moutfeel is thinner. I can be hit or miss with this one, sometimes it hits me just right and I dig it, other times I find it lacking, like its holding back on me and not giving me all the flavor it should.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - pours a very nice copper colour, I managed to get a GREAT head about an inch and a quarter high that held for a good amount of time. Only critique would be that it's quite hazy, somewhere between translucent and opaque.

S - really subtle, notes of caramel, honey, and some kind of fruity sweetness I couldn't quite put my finger on.

T - just like the nose, only bigger. Caramel and malt were pretty big. Started off with a nice touch of sweetness, but the finish had a nice bitter taste. A hint of spice was also detectable and was a nice effect

M - Very smooth and velvety. Seemed to be richer and thicker than other ales I've sampled. One of the best mouthfeels I've had on an ale.

O - Fantastic beer overall, I'm definitely going to go back to the MLCC and pick up some more.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.94/5  rDev 0%

22 oz bottle to massive goblet.
By chance, I was eating some Norwegian salmon at Stella's in Minneapolis, this beer went quite well with it, like the right side of this page suggests.

A:Hazy orange with hardly any head. not very pretty.

S: smells of pumpkin, caramel, toasty malts, and some lemon.

T: Much like the smell, it is a slightly spicy beer. Lots going on, but it all comes together quite well.

O: This is a great beer, I have not had anything like it before, and that is commendable.

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%

Drank straight from the bottle

A- Unknown, drank it from the bottle
S- Fruity, floral, sweet....nice smell.
T- Sweet, but not over powerring, citrusy, very pleasant.
M- Light to medium bodied....closer to medium.
O- Really enjoyed this brew! Unique taste compared to any beer or ale I have ever drank, will definitely have it again.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Poured out of a 12oz. bottle into my Lazy Magnolia pint glass

A: This beer has a nice, clear copper color and a decent head that's about two fingers thick. A little bit of lacing is left, but not much.

S: Smells of caramel with a hint of hops.

T: A very unique taste. Sweet, but with a nice crisp finish.

M: Light/medium body. It's not overly syrupy, so it's very easy to drink.

O: A very solid beer. It's not my favorite. The sweetness really took my by surprise on my first sip, but I was able to really enjoy it once I got past the initial shock. It's just a nice beer to drink on a warm day.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales