Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Ratings: 7,490 |  Reviews: 2,414

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

3.67/5  rDev -6.9%

This so happens to be the first craft beer I ever had. Not the exact one, of course. I mean, I didn't drink half of it and save the rest to try six years later, although I suppose that would have been an interesting, if highly oxidized, experiment. No, what I mean is that my first ever craft beer was a Dead Guy, bought as part of a mixed six the day after I turned 21. I had not revisited it until my 27th birthday, when a shiny new six pack was gifted me by my sister. To be honest I didn't care for it the first time I tried it (I thought it was too bitter, ha ha) and it isn't something I would have picked up for myself, but since it was given to me and it is somewhat of a craft beer living legend, I figured, why not? I can only hope the review is half as boring and rambling as this introduction.

A- Fairly standard dark amber with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thinner lace.

S- Has that nice, characteristic bock sweetness that's reminiscent of homemade bread and caramel. Perhaps leans a little too far on the sweet side without any hint of hops to balance it out. About what you'd expect from your typical maibock.

T- Quite dry, actually, which is kind of a nice surprise given that the smell indicated it might be a touch cloying. Crackerlike malt is the dominant flavor with a good dose of grassy hops (I can actually see why I might have found this too bitter when I first tried it) and just a touch of lightly fruity, alcohol sweetness. Clean finish with a moderate bitterness. Pac-Man (the game) > Pacman yeast > Pacman Jones. Just throwing that out there.

M- Medium body, slightly slick, fairly low (but adequate) carbonation.

Actually a little better than I expected. I was kind of expecting a malty, unbalanced mess, but it was nicely balanced and quite drinkable. A pleasant surprise. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to buy it (especially given Rogue's outrageous prices) but it's not bad at all. Recommended for a decent everyday beer if the price is right.

4.32/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Copper color with a nice head.

Aroma: Decent balance of hops and toasty malts.

Taste: Flavorful but not overpowering hops up front with toasty, buiscut and bready/grainy malts in the finish. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light/ medium body with excessive carbonation that somewhat hinders the flavor.

Overall: This beer is the epitome of balance and has one of the best flavor profiles i can think of. It's delicious. the only issue I have with it is the excessive carbonation, but that can be made up for with a hard pour. Delicious.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%