Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

4.3

Ratings: 7,707 |  Reviews: 2,462
3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

A: An amber beer with a small white head that dissipates in a white lace

S: Hoppy, fruity smell – with slight pine overtones.

T: Strong hoppy taste up front that mellow into a sweet almost honey taste.

M: Medium body and carbonation

O: A pretty smooth brew – not overbearing, but a nice kick.

There's nothing I can say about this Beer that hasn't already been said in any of the other reviews. The only thing i can contribute is my personal story that goes along with this wonderful brew.

I never really had a taste for beer until college, and of course that was filled with nights of Keystone Light and Miller Light. I, in no way am slamming these beers they do serve there purpose, and I am not such a beer snob I would ever refuse any of these when given to me. What I'm trying to say is this is all I knew.

That is until I enrolled in the Cloverleaf Taverns MBA (Master of Beer Appreciation) program. 45 beers on a list, gift cards, t-shirt and name on the wall. That was good enough for me I figured I'd give it a shot. Never did I expect to gain such an appreciation and knowledge for beer as I do now.When I completed the list my palate was eager to learn more and try new and exciting beers.

Which brings me to Rouge Dead Guy. This beer will always hold a special place in my heart (and belly) as one of the first beers to show me how good consumption of liquids could be. Many nights I have spent at the Leaf with many pints of this wonderful beverage. With its warm honey glow and caramel smell. It will get you to where your want to go in less time but not get you to blitzed before you get there.

Springtime is the perfect time to enjoy this hearty, rich maibock that has a dryer, richer, more hoppy experience. Its a great transition from the heavy beers of winter to the lighter ones of summer. Hell I drink this all year round. So sit back and enjoy this wonderful brew.

3.27/5  rDev -17%

Pours a semi-clear copper orange with minimal head and minimal lacing. Aromas of bitter hops, some maltiness and (oddly enough) corn flakes. The bitterness really dominates the flavor all around with bits of caramel occasionally coming through. I found it difficult to drink and personally could not recommend it to anyone looking to step away from the mass produced commercialized stuff. That said, some people love this beer, but for me its pure mediocrity.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz undated bottle served in a pint glass. A little sediment at bottom of bottle ... added mid-tasting (recommended).

Clear, then cloudy (see above) light amber color; 1+ finger of cream head after a light pour has good retention.

Aroma is mainly citrus hops and some floral and apricot elements.

Tastes a little fruity, but with an excellent sweet/bitter balance. Somewhat weak finish and aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - rather low carbonation, but this seemed OK for the beer.

O- a well-crafted brew, but not as interesting, bold or appealing as a number of other Rogue brews.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance - Pours a nice medium amber body with a decent 1 inch off white head. Heavy, long-lasting lacing around the glass.

Smell - Hops come out with some citrus. I faintly smell toasted malts. There is some sweetness to this beer...

Taste - There is some good stuff here. Sweet on the tip and pretty bitter on the back. The middle is slightly hoppy and those toasted malts show their face throughout the experience.

Mouthfeel - Balanced and medium in carbonation.

Overall - I would drink this beer again. It's a little too expensive ($6/glass at my local pub), but on the whole...I like it and I would pay that price every once in a while.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

I always take get a good nose full of each the beer before I sip and this one delivered a wonderful combination of oranges and caramel. The start is almost all hops, almost leading like an IPA, but the warm sweet and warm taste of the malt comes in to balance it all nicely.

The body looks thick, but still very well carbonated. You get that same sensation in the mouthfeel. The finish is a little oily, but it's the perfect finish to this beer.

And the orangish-amber color is truly lovely. No lacing, though, which is a bit of a surprise, because the prevalence of hops would seem to suggest more lacing.

In all, this is one complex and delicious beer. Almost fun to drink.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

serving type: bomber

look: love that reddish amber color. head starts out big and fluffy, quickly dissipates to a thin layer of foam. also starts out with quite a bit of big bubbles charging up from the bottom of the glass...a minute or two later and it settles down to a very still looking glass.

smell: a little muted. bit of a hoppy scent, but not sharply so. honestly...i'm getting a very faint note of sharp cheddar, without the funk. a bit bready as well.

taste: sharp up front, but mellows out pretty quickly. a bit of an oily hop flavor. thick, caramelly malt flavor. a bit of lightly toasted marshmallow. lightly sweet. the very back of the tongue holds in the bitterness from the hops long after you swallow. extremely balanced and very pleasant. only the faintest warmth from the alcohol.

mouthfeel: solid medium body. bit of a prickly carbonation. a bit slick and oily on the mouthfeel, but not unpleasantly so.

i really like this one. easily a go-to...not super adventurous, but damned delicious. think i found a new favorite.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

a: has a nice head and looks very warm
s: very bright and warm smell, hint of banana
t: taste is very consistent and complex. starts off with a bit of a kick and then warms up as it engages the back of the tongue.
m: sits in your mouth great and when you swallow it almost feels like you just ate a fruity pancake.
o: very nice flavors although its a little lighter than other beers of the style definitely a good session beer

2.49/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearance: Deep Gold with a fluffy 1" white head.

Smell: A deep toffee flavor lurking in the back of some sweet malt. Very mild hop profile.

Taste: Candy like taste. Tastes a little like raw wort.

Mouthfeel: Not much carbonation or hops.

Overall: I think I may have gotten a bad beer here because it doesn't fit the profile I thought it would.

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a handsome amber, with thick head. Nice and ornate Brussels lace.

Malty nose, bready...

Flavor is instantly sharp on the palate, with a toasty graininess. I get some warm fruit hints, as well. And, a little alcohol burn in the finish. Enjoyable, with plenty of flavor. Superb!

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

When I first started getting into craft beer with my Dad about seven years ago this was one of the beers that really opened my eyes to a new world of beer. It was a standard go to beer but I have not had it in a while and I picked up a bottle today because I really missed it. Now I have to say that it has been at least a year a since I have had this beer and my tastes have changed a lot in the past year. At the same time I wish these bottles had expiration dates because I think I got an older bottle.

A: Cloudy copper body with a white head that dissipated quickly.

S: Malts, and light hints of sweetness & hops. I'm missing the bread & honey notes I remember.

T: You notice the bitterness first that gives away to the malts and then the sweetness. Now I thought the flavor was very balanced but at the same time its not what I remember. The taste came off as flat, not from a lack of carbonation or alcohol just that the bottle might be a bit old. It didn't hold the same sweetness & bread flavors that I had remembered.

M: This is an easy to drink beer, but at the same it is a hair on the heavy side, almost creamy and goes down easy.

Overall its a solid beer and an old favorite, my total score is based on my overall experience with the beer and not my most recent tasting.

3.18/5  rDev -19.3%

Reviewed this beer a few weeks ago on the phone, here is the interpretation of my notes:

APPEARANCE: Nice, golden copper color with a very pretty and perfectly sized head. Good looking color and overall appearance, but lacing was minimal.

SMELL: The Dead Guy Ale has always smelled Christmasy to me, and this pint was no exception. Malty and spicy, this a pretty decent smelling beer.

TASTE: For such a good looking and smelling beer, it really falls flat in the flavor department. Slightly bitter and hoppy, the Dead Guy is just not terribly entertaining to the palate. The word 'meh' comes to mind. It isn't bad, but it isn't good.

MOUTHFEEL: Very well carbonated and sparkly.

OVERALL: Again, one word can sum up this beer: meh.

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a a cloudy translucent orange-brown colour with a light tan head that disappeared quickly. The colour was absolutely beautiful. I'm wary of such beers, but the taste did not disappoint. The smell was citrusy. It really didn't have much smell at all. The taste was quite pleasant as well. It had a little more hops than I'd like, but I'd expect that in a maibock. Not nearly as disgusting as Sierra Nevada's take on this style with their Glissade beer. The taste is pleasantly sweet with a strong citrusy hop overtone. For a hoppy beer, it's really very easy to drink. I don't taste any malt undertones, but I can clearly SEE that malts were not skimped on, so maybe I'm congested or maybe the citrusy hops just overpower everything else.

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an Omnegang flute.

A: Pours a hazy dark amber colour. 2 fingers of off white, good retention. Little bit of lace.

S: Mostly biscuit and bread notes. Slight fruit notes as well.

T: A lot of the biscuit and bread notes come through in the taste as well. Nice tart dry finish.

M: Lingering tartness. Moderate body and carbonation.

It's a nice beer for the style. Not my favorite style but still enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12oz. into a Pint glass.

A&S - Nice deep amber with a white two-finger head with tons of lacing. Lots of biscuit and pine, and sweet fruit.

T&M - Nice crisp medium body, lots of malt, piney hops, alcohol, very sweet and bready.

O - Definitely a good beer. My first from Rogue so im stoked about trying the Double Dead Guy and their Shakespeare Stout.

Being a huge New Belgium fan, I considered this beer to be a "Fat Tire" of Oregon. After tasting and noticing the style and ABV I realized this is no where near a pale ale styled beer. Its a very interesting take on a session beer. There's really not much more to say about it. Its an amazing beer that should not be overlooked. As I said i'm super stoked about trying their Shakespeare. This brewery obviously has a passion for making darker beers, and making darker beers more session worthy if you will. Usually a semi-strong alcohol taste lowers the drinkibility, not in this case, this is a very drinkable, very well balanced beer. Stay thirsty my friends.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a copper apricot ale with brilliant clarity. Single finger head of loose off-peanut foam dissipates to thin sheet of the same. Spotty lacing.

S: Sweet malts with earthy hops. Nice, and forgettable.

T: Tastes like a helles. Sweet backbone, earth hops. Not too much to say here. A little too much residual sugar for me.

M: Medium body, smooth feel with light carbonation. Leaves a wetness in the mouth.

O: well done. Great for a flagship, can see why so many people drink this on a regular basis.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance - Dark saturated brown permeated by light hues of glistening burnt yellow when light hits it, slight head retention all most non-existent, minuet limited carbonation bubbles rise in a methodical manner to the top of the glass almost as if they were driven to defy gravity

Smell - Clean with a modest chocolate flavor intertwined with a smidgen of alcohol

Taste - Unprecedented umami

Mouthfeel - Smooth as Kobe's fade away with a light touch of babies bottom silkiness, uniform from beginning to finish with excellent moisture release and flawless density

Overall - "Sweet Nectar of the Gods" (I highly recommend trying this beer and it would be an absolute delight with BBQ)

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a clear amber/orange with two fingers worth of off white creamy head. Settles to a small cap and left thick lines of lacing.

S: The aroma is pretty sweet with some floral hops. Some sweet fruit and a little bit of bready malt as well.

T: Bready malt with a little bit of floral hops. The sweetness isn't near as prominent as it was in the aroma. There is a small sweet/spicy taste that lingers for a bit.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body.

O: It seems as though the MLCC has to mark most bottles from the U.S with a sticker stating a different Abv. It's been the case with all Rogue and Lost Coast products. Anyways this one is at 7% Abv. I thought this beer was going to be a lot more comlex but it's more of a simple beer. I don't know if I could drink this all night but I could have a few before I would look for something a bit more bold.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had this beer numerous times, most of which is from the bottle. It has a great dark murky amber look it that gives off a sweet but strong sense of hops smell to it. This beer has a very smooth hop taste to it that finishes easy. I taste caramel, apples, and pears when I drink this beer. The flavor is strong but not over powering. This is a good beer to have after a long day of work. Cheers

4.07/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a 1 finger bready head that falls relatively quickly. Extremely cloudy ochre/orange. Nice looking.

S: Strong maltiness with a touch of hop spice.

T: This one never gets old for me. It is very bready. Yeast and grain. Honey or barley malt syrup sweetness is rounded out by a light hop tinge. Very good. Ripe fruit, clovey, soft pretzel.

M: Rich and smooth. Med-high carbonation.

D: One of the all time best flagship brews out there. Nice and extremely drinkable.

2.53/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Pours a thick white 2 finger. Retention and lacing are good.

S: Pine, malt then citrus.

T: Slightly bitey with a bitter aftertaste that lingers.

M: Light.

D: I think the beer is ok. I'm not a huge fan of this style of beer so I don't really want to drink more.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

a: a burnt orange tone to it, light head with moderate retention. looks heavy until you give it a little swirl.

s: toffee, caramel and nut with hints of dried fruit in the back. a sweetness of brandy stems from the roasted malts. the nose lacks a lot of presence, though. wish the scents were stronger as they are delightful

t: same as the nose. toffee and caramel come to the front with a sweet taste of roasted malt in the back. I wish there was a stronger flavor here as these tastes are great but not as potent as I'd like.

m: nice, light carbonation mixes well with the soft yet thick feel in the mouth.

o: I feel the flavors here are very good though they don't come out as well as I wish they would. A very good brew and I'd love to try it again, though I hope they brew one with more emphasis on the flavor being stronger.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

It literally smells like candy that has toffee and caramel in it. It also has a bready smell with some fruitiness from the Noble hops that I'm pretty sure they use. The taste mirrors the smell pretty much with that excellent toffee caramel malt taste which really adds a thick mouthfeel to the beer. It also has a bready sweetness before ending with a dry hop taste mixing with the large amount of malt they use in the finish and aftertaste. Delicious. The hops evolve more and more on the back of the tongue to really blend the malt and hops taste so well.

I love how Rogue blends their malts together to give a really rich thick taste in a lot of their beers. The hops sort of take a backseat to this beer but they start to shine through more with each sip. One of the very few Rogue beers you can get in a 6 pack but I'm glad they put this one in 6 packs because its an outstanding beer.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours a darker amber color with small head. The small is a bit light, and malty. The taste is strong very malty, no other flavors are present, this beer is just for those who want beer and nothing else. The powerful taste stays on your palate, which isnt a bad thing. Overall this is an excelent beer, one of a kind.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

I have long been a fan of Rogue beers although I only tried Dead Guy once and didn't much care for it. Now, many years later, I have decided to try it again. From a 12 oz bottle into A Fin Du Monde glass.

An orangy-amber beer with billions of tiny bubbles and turbidity comes from inside the bottle. The head is small and light tan.

Smells are deep, sweet and malty. There is a slight tang that accompanies. I have no doubt that the result will be more pronounced and identifiable with warmth, this beer is at only about 50 degrees (F) just now. A deep currant-like smell is present at higher temperatures

Initial taste is a light sweetness and a slight tang followed by a pronounced bitterness as it finishes cleanly.

Good beer, worthy of another taste.

Slainte.