Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,392 | Ratings: 7,410
3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

thanks b for the housewarming gift. funny that a house'warm'ing gift is served cold. enough for now..

decided to cram the whole 22 into my paulaner 22oz mug. it fit, thanks to a thin, beige head that dissipated with haste. the beer itself glows a rich orange, and maintains a serious level of cloudiness (saw some yeast start to enter the glass towards the end of the pour), tiny bubbles waddle slowly through the visually dense matter here.

aroma is very cereal-grainy with notes of candy corn and a slight hint of cranberry juice... perhaps the hops? overall a malty nose but not as creamy and roasty as i would have envisioned.

immediately i taste a brilliant conflict between spicy hops and an english yeasty flavor. white pepper notes in the cheeks and orange essence come forward from the hop bitterness. these flavors clear out with some berry notes and finish off with a negligible profile of buttery diacetyl and vanilla. this is a maibock? eh, more like an alt to me.. but wtf do i know.

in its favor, it's got a great body. drinkability is fine for 6.5, although the bitter/butter contrast gives alot to wrap your tongue around and slows down consumption. warmth brings out a coconut flavor that improves the overall flavor of the beverage as well and covers up a fair amount of the D.

this is a good standby beer, and would make a great session in an oregon taproom overlooking the pacific and some big m-f'ing redwoods.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a clear orange amber, with the slightest of haze. The flavour is pretty bland to be honest, a little sweet, not shitty, but nothing stands out either. The after taste is a little annoying in this beer. Don't notice the 6.6% at all, so its easy to drink. This just doesn't have any personality. Very average beer.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

An above average beer that wont wake the dead guy

A - red/amber with a small single finger head

S - I could small hops but not much else I was expecting a bit more with the nice color.

T - Nice but hops still rule this brew. Maybe a hoppy version of a Sam

M - Medium body, good carbonation

D - Well balanced, but you gotta like hops to really enjoy this beer. Good but not great

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into a mug as dark copper with a nice puffy white head. Laced the glass very nicely. Smell is slightly fruity, nothing special though. Tastes light almost sweet but with a good brew appeal. The sweetness lasts through with the aftertaste but has enough kick to enjoy. I like it, a good Rogue product.

3.51/5  rDev -10.9%

First time I had Dead Guy, trying it on tap at a local pizzeria. Not bad, but didn't blow me away. It presents itself nicely, with two fingers of head atop an amber-copper body in a pint glass. The nose was malty, and I detected a hint of chocolate, but little else appeared. The taste was subtle but smooth. But I was disappointed since the malt was clear, and some spice was present--ginger, paprika--but little else. I was hoping for bolder flavors, but was left wanting. The texture was smooth, and ordering a second sure wasn't difficult. Overall, worth a try and a nice brew, but nothing that will knock the socks off.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

A- As close to a true copper color as any beer. Very clear, minimal head with nice lacing

S- Very pleasing, full nose...heavy on the malts, citrus and pine.

T- Full bodied. The alcohol is present at first, hand in hand with a heavy bready caramely malt with some hops thrown in. This is a deep bodied wine-like brew. I almost feel that I am drinking something different that some of the other reviews posted here. Hops? I'm not a hophead, but this one can sure use some more for balance. Almost tastes like a Marzen on steriods. Not sure what is going on with this and I want to re-review with a new bottle as I may have gotten a bad one. Something tastes a little funky.

M- Full again, with nice carbonation balance.

D- Not one I'd go back to soon. A little too overpowering in flavor, and not in a good way. I will, however, pick up another and revisit it some other time.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Had on tap at Timothy's. Review from notes.

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer was a hazy amber/orange with a very small tan head that reduced quickly. No lacing.

S: Heavy caramel aromas as well as some light grains. There are hints of apple floral hops, but both are pretty subdued.

T: Overly malty, I was expected at least a little bit of a hop presence, but its just not there. Heavy caramel and toffee with a slight hint of bruised apple and light spice.

M: Medium to full bodied, a much more filling beer than anticipated. Good carbonation.

O: It was ok, again a great hop presence would have made this a better beer, for me at least. Its fuller body makes it a tough one to drink a bunch of as well.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Has a nice roasted malt smell Appearance- poured a nice copper color with a nice white head Taste- A good malt flavor with a rather bitter hop finish. Palate- Medium body with a fair amount of carbonation. Overall- A really good Maibock, one of my first Rogue Brewery tries.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

This was a surprise beer. I bought a six pack of what I thought was Mocha Porter and poured. It obviously wasn't a porter, bonus beer. Anyhow I poured into a Cleveland Browns bud light nonic to a half inch a white head. It is copper in color and smells spicy and bready. The taste was spicy at first but became sweet. The hops were appearant on the back end. I have not had this beer in a while but it was not bad considering I was expecting a porter. I guess I should have looked at the bottle instead of bullshitting. Oh well, a pleasant bonus.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Pint on tap at La Piazza.
Copper with orange hues. Small head with light retention and lacing. Small nose of bread and toasted grains. Malt is balanced nicely with a moderate dose of floral hops that leaves a slight bitter aftertaste. To style? Nope. Tasty? Yes. Very fluid mouthfeel and low carbonation. Quite drinkable with a slight alcohol finish. Good beer that is widely available.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

A-Pours a hazy,reddish brown with a healthy,two- finger tall,eggshell head that showed good retention and left ropy lacing on the glass.Medium carbonation was visible.

S-Big wildflower honey aroma.Very sweet nose with caramelized pear and roasted nuts.Some faint citrus notes as well.

T-Very sweet with honey-butter and biscuit coming through.More caramel/toffee malt properties with a nutty finish.Only a small appearance made by the hops midway through with the malt finishing on the tongue.

M-Light to medium bodied with ample carbonation
and slightly cloying sweetness.

D-Maybe a little sweet for considerable sessionability but still average,drinkabiltiy
wise.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

This ale pours a clear amber with a small head that is quickly forgotten. There is a distinct aroma of flowery hops and fruitiness, and a bit of toffee-like sweetness. Taste is of raisins and cashew nuts with the flowery hops on top and the toffee-caramel sweetness underneath. Not much depth of flavor, but not bad. The mouthfeel is a bit diacetyl-oily with smooth finish and inadequate carbonation that is quickly history. Pretty drinkable, but not the best offering that rogue has out.

12 oz Bottle Poured into Pint Glass

A: Golden color with an Orange Hue, a little on the cloudy side about 1 Finger head. Nice lacing.

S: Malt, Hops, a little fruity, and a little steely..

T: Very complex....Very Hoppy up front, hint of fruit and a steelness. The finish is bitter & dry, with a odd aftertaste.... lots of hops

M: Crisp, medium body.... good bit of carbonation.

D: Very interesting brew... it will take a little getting use to.... Not the best I've had... A little to Hoppy for my taste so it is really not my type.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

I don't know if this review is fair since I didn't know this beer was a Maibock. I thought it was going to be an American Pale Ale, so I was definitely disappointed when I took my first sip.

A- Almost pure orange with a bubbly/creamy head that laces well.

S- Alcohol and sweetness with almost no hop aroma.

T- Sweet and alcoholic with a slight dry hop bitterness that fades into more alcohol.

M- Medium-Heavy bodied with a medium amount of carbonation.

D- Not very drinkable, I could barely finish one.

Again, I don't know if this review is fair. I was expecting an APA. I thought this beer tasted almost like pure alcohol. There was a little sweetness and dry hopiness to the flavor, but the alcohol definitely overpowered it. If that's how a Maibock is, than I'm sure it's a good one. However, I didn't care for this beer. I'm going to definitely shy away from Maibocks in the future.

I do like dupplebocks like Troegenattor though.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a beautiful amber-blonde color with a thin head of foam. Aroma is thick and malty, chewy with a hint of caramel. Taste is very interesting upfront. Malty and chewy with a buttery aftertaste that goes down quite smooth. Somewhat bready as well upfront. Chewy.

Not bad at all!

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

light amber color with a descent sized white head that came down at a moderately descent pace, left a descent lacing as well.

the smell was of not strong, nor weak; scent of blueberries, yes blueberries, and a light hoppiness.

taste was a fairly balanced malt that was difficult to describe, with a hoppiness that was slightly florally. the finish was crisp to the palate, but the medium-light body (that i enjoyed), kind of took away from the crisp factor.

good beer, but i dont see what the big deal is about this beer. nothing would have me crawling back to it, just a good refresher along side your meal.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer was just okay. I got it as a Christmas gift and was excited to see it was a Maibock as I like that style and usually don't buy that style until the spring. Although I didn't like it as much as say; Maibock by Capital Brewery, I think this is a perfect session beer. It had a decent, smooth, malty taste so it would be ideal to down 3-4 of them in a row. It had a nice copper color and there was a little bit more of a bitter hoppy taste than most maibocks. So I did like it, the beer just didn't wow me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

bottle into duvel glass

appearance: ruby/amber color with a hint of orange, 1 finger white head

smell: nutty, caramel, some fruitiness, smells like belgian yeast (remind me faintly of a trappist), malt heavy, slight banana, pumpkin, very subtle earthy hops

taste: huge english malt backbone, slight bitterness from the hops, but not too forward, theres subtle notes of pumpkin and apple somewhere in the middle as well, the ending is very refreshing.

mouthfeel: not much carbonation, could use a little more

overall: Just bought a 6-pack, may revise this review once im finished with it. Not much experience with the style, but I enjoyed this beer. I feel like it will grow on me even more as well, its a very warm, tart, malty brew. I'm having a really hard time describing it, but it's very well balanced.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured pale amber with a coarse sturdy off-white head. Aroma is. . . it smells like iced-tea. Specifically; it smells like the iced-tea I remember my Dad making when I was a boy, out of Lipton tea bags -- it smells EXACTLY like that!

Damn. . . that is EXACLTY what it tastes like too! Unsweetened iced-tea made with Lipton brand tea bags. This is weird. . .

You guys get a 3.5 for this stuff -- and hey; STOP MESSING WITH MY HEAD!

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Presentation: Poured an opaque amber into a slim mug. A two-finger thick head formed quickly, and then it started to dissipate. Retention was decent. It wasn't so much of a "creamy" head, since it showed off a lot of carbonation. A strong, crisp floral hop aroma dominated the nose.

Tasting: I caught a lot of hop bitterness on the tongue and in the aftertaste. There was a little bit of malt sweetness balancing it out, but it almost didn't seem enough in my opinion. Based on what I've read about the style, this seems to be par for the course. After I got used to the initial few tastings, it started to come across as slightly more grapefruit-y. The taste stuck around in my mouth for a bit. The carbonation was more than I cared for. With a slightly higher-than-average alcohol content, drinkability gets knocked down a notch.

I think that what could have made this beer better would have been more malt balancing to offset the hop bitterness. I am open to the idea that others would prefer the assertive hop character, though. This one was (and is) definitely worth a try.

[Best served in a Lager Glass]

The pour was a mildly cloudy copper/amber with an orange hue and a small (less than 1 finger) off white frothy head that had decent retention and good lacing.

The aroma was of toasted caramel malts, citrus hops and a biscuit yeast with strong citrus, toffee and caramel notes.

The taste was sweetly bitter with a hint of caramel in the beginning then progressed into much bitterer flavor with a nice dose of citrus at the end, I am guessing a little lemon and grapefruit. The flavor stuck around long enough to let one enjoy the nice citrusy hoppy aftertaste.

Mouthfeel had a smooth creamy texture and a medium body with a prickly carbonation.

Overall a super refreshing ale that had a nice blending of malts, hops and citrus. And one that is most definitely worth drinking again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Poured into a pint glass a hazy orangey copper colour with a couple of centimetres of dense off white head that falls fairly quickly leaving some rings of lace down the glass.
S - Toasted caramel malt aroma with some earthy and herbal hop hints. The Rogue Pacman yeast is quite noticeable.
T - Like the smell the taste is definateky dominated by a toasty & caramel malty character with some slight earthy, herbal hops.
M - Medium bodied, fairly high carbonation. Dry, lingering toasty and herbal taste.
D - Worth trying, I'd drink it again but there are others in the same price range from Rogue that I'd buy before buying this again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

I wasn't sure what to expect with this ale/lager beer but I was impressed. Little to no head to speak of. The smell is malty with dark fruits and a bit of alcohol heat. The taste is smooth and malty with a touch of sweetness that reminds me of a Marzen with a little more oomph. yb

Bottle.

Orange pour with a small white head.

Smells very sweet and malty, almost like a doppelbock but not as rich.

Sweet malty taste that goes down smooth as silk. Wasn't sure that I was going to like this one but it really is pretty good.

Not sure I could drink more than one or two at a time due to the sweetness, but a very good tasting beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Dead Guy is a hazy orange-brown beer with a smooth and clingy off-white head. The aroma is of sweet malt and fruity hops. It's rather faint and a little ciderish in the nose. In the mouth, it's dry and abundant in gravity. The flavor starts with the sweet malt, like baking cookies, which turns a little sour before unleashing its wooden bitterness and alcoholic warmth. It tastes much stronger than it is.
(rated Jun 11, 2007)