Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

YOUR RATING = None |
Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,369 | Ratings: 7,281
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine ale. Pours an intermediate amber color. A nice white head forms but does not last. There is however nice lacing throughout the duration. Tastes absolutely wonderul: a some what sweet malty caramel nicely balanced with a hint of bitter. This is something worth searching out. A highly drinkable beer. Enjoy!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The dead guy has been sitting on my shelf for about a month and I finally got around to him last night. Wow, What a good beer. Deep burnt orange to amber in color, the head was very full, fluffy and thick with a light tan color. Noticable hop aroama bubbles bust through. Slightly sweet, floral, and honey smells with a big burst of malt. Taste is unbelievably balanced with supersweet malty richness, and a crisp dry hopped finish. Tastes alot like the best amber ale I have ever had, that rich. I was surprised to see it listed as a Mai-bock. Whatever you want to call it, it's a great beer. Smooth and creamy richness, suspect a higher abv warms your belly. Another pleasant surprise from Rogue. This is another beer that made the cross-country trip from California, and well worth it.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

A- Appearance is a great crisp and clear amber color.
S- Smell is slightly hoppy with just enough hops aroma
T- Taste is strong and hoppy without being a strong IPA taste
M- Mouthfeel is great just light enough without tasting like light beer or a lager
D- Drinkability is high because this beer is both delicious and not too hardy

This is one of my new favorite beers. Its taste and smell make it a very pleasurable beer to drink.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%

For overall drinkability, I can't think of anything that beats this beer. It is the only beer I can think of that will appeal to the snobiest of beer-snobs, as well as the casual beer drinker.

It is so well balanced and crafted that there are layers of flavor, but nothing too overpowering.

I will say - I am currently drinking this on tap (from my kegerator). There is a huge difference in this beer when it is on tap or in a growler, compared to a 12 oz. bottle.

The bottles tend to be over carbonated and less balanced. If your store gives you the choice, pick up the Jug (Growler) instead of a six-pack and enjoy this beer the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

At $200 per keg - I probably won't be buying too many more kegs, but I will always buy the jug!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally reviewing this beer, one of my all time favorites...

Poured into a tall pint glass, color is bright crisp gold with an amber hue, great thick dense head that lingers nicely and leaves a light lacing.

Scent is very clean, great light pilsner malt with some munich coming through in the form of some breadiness, light caramel comes through as well. hints of of feint clean hop bitterness.

taste is great, easily one of the tastiest, easily drinkable beers out there while not losing any ounce of complexity. it comes through inititially as light toasted pilsner, some munich breadiness and then hints of caramelization. crisp hop flavors balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is well balanced, neither the crispness of the hops or the sweetness from the malts overpower, while blending well and making for a great easy drinking brew.

Overall, a great brew from rogue, great flavors, somewhat complex and easily drinkable.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

wow! first sip, what a taste! i was epecting something totally different.
orange-y-copper color poured with a finger of same colored head. smelled a little malty and tasted sweet. the hops are balanced in the taste but not really figuring in the total sum as much as i expected. there are some micro-bubbles rising from the bottom which arent very obvious unless you look for them and the feel is of a medium heaviness.
overall, i really like this. Total Wine has the growlers on sale for $14, but i opted for the 12 oz'er first to try it. hope they're still there when i go back . . . . i read the label but it didnt sink in that it's a maibock style. i'll have to try a few more of these.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Honestly, one of the best beers I've ever tasted. I can, and do, drink these any chance I get.

A - Pours an red-amber to the light with a thick, tan one-finger head.

S - Good amount of hops but very balanced. It does have a decent taste of caramel

T - Very smooth and very malty. A bit of hops near the end, but once again, it's very balanced.

M - Found it to be quite stimulating and crisp

This beer is really, really good.

4.69/5  rDev +19%

A - Rich amber color with a slightly off white head about 1/2 finger width.

S - Honey, slightly toasted malt, apricot, some booziness, and mild notes of raisin.

T & M - NICE! The first thing that strikes me is how smooth this is. Then a full bodied texture laden with rich and complex flavor. Roasty toasty malt sweetness framed by a very subtle hoppy bitterness that lingers in the finish without being sour. This is fantastic balance. Mildly dark dried fruitiness shares the backbone with a malt flavor, and subtle but apparent notes of honey. An alcoholic warmth emanates from the top of my stomach, into and around my chest and lingers. A fantastic experience. Mild carbonation - just enough to keep from interfering with the flavor. There is also the suggestion of creaminess in the mouthfeel.

D - Between the flavor and the mouthfeel, the drinkability is fantastic.

I can easily see this beer becoming one of my "go to" beers.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

I Poured this slightly overpriced Maibock into a pint glass. It's always been one of my favorites.

appearance
Copper with head that vanishes quickly but leaves some good lacing behind.

smell
Pleasing blend of malts and hops.

taste
I sigh and smile broadly every time I have the pleasure of drinking one of these and feel a since of loss when I'm staring at the empty bottle afterward. It has a very complex flavor with a hoppy finish and hints of citrus with no apparent heat.

mouthfeel
Smooth and oh so refreshing, medium to light body, nice carbonation

drinkability
This is definitely a session beer. I would make this a beer that I always kept in my fridge if I had a extra money on a regular basis.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a deep hazy golden color with modest head. Nice malty smell. Taste is soo good. Nicely sweet and mildly bitter. So smooth in the mouth with a complex and totally enjoyable taste. I've had this before in bottles, seeing the growler with the Dead Guy logo was too much to resist. Superbly drinkable, my daughter and I polished off the growler, with my hungover son-in-law declining. Too bad it was a bad day for the Eagles.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured a deep yellow/burnt orange with a just a gigantic creamy head, lacing all the way down. Large bubbles formed all around the glass.

Smelled of malt and caramel. A deep taste of bitter hops give way to caramel malts and just a tinge of citrus and ends with a pleasant sweetness. I could taste alcohol much more than I expected.

This is a fantastic beer, not much else I can really say, other than I could drink these all day.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

im a huge Rogue Ales fan and part of rogue nation... This is by far my FAVORITE beer! Great taste all around! if its on tap Im getting it! my reviews arent the usual but i tell it how i feel...! Great BEER! if you haven tried it you are missing out!! Cheers!!

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

I first tried this beer three years ago on a whim at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA. I have to admit that I am a total slave to packaging...if it looks cool, i'll buy it. The skeleton dude called to me and I had to have it. I have to say that what I found inside my glass was FAR better than I expected. I thought i'd get an average beer with a great label, and instead I got a great beer with a great label.
Creamy and smooth with just the right amount of sweetness to it. When it is first poured into the glass, it has a beautiful red/caramel hue to it that looks almost too good to drink. It has a great aroma. This is a beer that has all the flavor of a heavier beer, but it won't weigh you down like a steak dinner, making it an all-night endeavor.
The only knock on this beer is that, if kept too cold it can get a little bitterness to it. Most self-respecting establishments will keep certain coolers at different temperatures to ensure the best taste, but every once in a while you'll get one that is a tad too cold and it seems like you're drinking the Dead Guy's ugly sister. Those situations are few and far between, but I gotta give the whole story.
If you see this beer, do yourself a favor and get a pint. I suggest it to all newbies and I get great response. Enjoy!

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

i think i can say this is the very first beer that really got me on to the whole good beer scene

i had this beer on tap over at Iron Monkey in Jersey City, it had poured and presented itself with nice white dense head on it

the aroma was really great it had fresh bread and sweet malt in it not a lot of hops but this one definetly had a nice clean character to it

the taste was really awesome, so drinkable for such a unique style of beer

the mouthfeel was super slick, really had texture without being chewy

overall i think this beer is really awesome, i also wonder why i don't see it as much any more about 3-4 years ago i used to see it all the time, now its more rare, either way its going to be one of my go-to beers as its really just a very well put together brew

i love rogue beers in general but this one is one of my favorites

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours mildly hazy amber with a 3/4 inch head or so that left significant lacing. Looks enticing Deep and lightly hazy amber honey in colour with a wispy white lace.

The smell has a very sweet character but there's a definite hop presence. Very welcoming...

Taste is great. Like the smell it begins with bit of sweetness and ends with a notable hop presence, a perfect balance. It's smooth and has the right amount of carbonation.

If it's not my favorite beer, it's definitly close. Pick it up if you see it and give it a try.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

Amber haze with a white, sticky head that mostly settles soon after the pour. Great balance of sweet malt and hops in the nose. Just a bit fruity and peat-like. With a taste, I literally become wide-eyed... what is this I'm tasting? Could it be? Pistachio! Right in the middle of the palate, a very clear pistachio-like character. Something I've never experienced in a beer before. Before I start ranting about loving pistachios, I'd better move on to the other characteristics. Sweetness from the malt, balanced well by the hops, as in the nose. Bread-like toasted malt character abound, especially with retro-olfaction. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel that is both crisp from the hops and grainy from the malt. I'm really enjoying the unique character of this beer. Very flavorful and just plain enjoyable all the way through.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

I bought this beer at a liquor store at Vegas and among all there was, this was the first one i grabbed, because it has a skull logo;

A: Copper color with a very white foamy head;

S: Roasted malt, toffee and cherries;

T: Toffee, roasted malt and pumpkin and bitter hops;

M: Dry, high bitterness and sweet notes;

D: One of my favorite american beers, i would like to celebrate the next "dia de muertos" drinking this beer.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

I love it in the bottles and it's even better on tap.

Deep orange body with a frothy light tan head. Leaves good lace rings all the way down.

Smell is sweet malt some a somewhat nutty character abcked by some citric and flowery hop presence.

Very well balanced taste. The sweet malt melds with the hops and finishes with less bitterness than the bottled counterpart. Super easy to drink.

One of the best brews to grab on tap as far as I'm concerned.

Serving: 1.5 Pint bottle

Deep amber color.

Smells of malts, with a sweet finish and roasted notes. Caramel and hops are also in the smell.

Taste is very complex, starts out smooth, with malt and caramel, then a slight twinge of alcohol, a roasted note, fresh bread crust, and a slightly hoppy and sweet aftertaste. The aftertaste is really nice.

Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing.

Overall, quite delicious. This really hits the spot. I need to find some more Rogue brews.

4.67/5  rDev +18.5%

My goodness - what a treat.

This is a crisp, refreshing beer with a slightly sweet, mild taste. The malty, grainy, biscuity tastes start with a perfect amount of carbonation before giving way to a slight dash of springy hop bitterness then finishing clean, dry, and crisp. By the time you've swallowed and smacked your lips a couple of times the flavor still lingers but there's absolutely no unpleasant aftertaste. None. No overpowering malt, no boozy overtone, no hop lawn trimmings 'n' bitters to sour up your palate - just a pleasant warm flavor lingering for a bit leaving you craving for more. The balance in this ale is phenomenal. A great spring or summertime beer, like a lazy sunny afternoon after finishing lots of outdoor work.

The alcohol is very well masked, as other posts have emphasized the 6.5% ABV will sneak up on you. And it is hard to just have one, so after you get your first plan on hanging out for a while.

4.66/5  rDev +18.3%

As soon as I opened the bottle the beer shot right over the top. It poured with a decent amount of off white foamy head. A redish orange body that's really cloudy. It looks freakin' awesome! Creamy lacing from top to bottom of glass.

A sweet bitter smell of hops and some malts. A hint of barley.

Very smooth and crisp, a slight carbonation hitting the tongue but not too much. Body doesn't feel heavy at all. Leaves the lips a little sticky and the mouth feeling dry but isn't.

The taste is awesome! Bitterness from the hops and some sweet caremel malty characteristics. I'm thinking some citrus hops, maybe grapes, pineapples and oranges. A slight taste of grass and pine. Everything is perfectly balanced with a unique and interesting taste.

I could drink this all night. Smooth, crisp, light in the body. Feels nice going down. I wish I got more than one bottle of this! This is everything I would want an ale to taste and feel like. Very close to being perfect.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

I think y'all know what this beer is about. I lucked into a sale at 7.99/6 at the Lowes in Calabash, NC on 1/29/07.They also had the Red and the Amber on sale as well. Anyway, awesome malty flavor with a strong hoppy kick at the end...this batch was in 6 pack form...no dates whatsoever on the packaging so I have no idea of the actual production date. The last time I found this was in bomber form in Cloudcroft, NM a coupla yrs ago...I turned some of my bud lite friends onto this and they loved it...so if you have it at yr local groc get it...kill if you must...Have a nice day!!!

4.65/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful dark amber color with reddish highltights. I didn't get a very big head or much lacing. Then again, it may be the way my wife poured it.

Smell: Smoky caramel notes. Wonderful Hops smell, Very intoxicating.

Taste: I have to admit, i didn't do a good job of differentiating the various tastes. When the first mouthful hit my tongue, my eyes rolled back in bliss. Such an overal great experience drinking this beer. On one hand, I wanted to keep drinking and on the other, I didn't want to swallow it so I could keep enjoying the taste.

Mouthfeel: A little silky to me, not as thick as I thought it might be but still a great experience.

Overall: Definitely on my radar for another go around. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

This beer remains one of my all time favoriates. I constantly recomend Dead Guy to people. I find it to be a very eary to drink beer with rewarding aftertase. I noties a stightly metalic flavor in this beer that has grown on me. Having had this beer both out of the bottle and on tap, I would say that it is fantastic both ways. The only knock on it is the price; its generally very expensive. I would purchase it much more if it was not quite as expensive.

4.65/5  rDev +18%

OK it has been a while since I had this so I will be writing from memory.

A: Mid to Mid-dark Amber, not much head.

S: smelled like a bock but with noticeable alcohol notes. a bit sweeter than I expected.

T: OH WOW! This is almost the tastiest beer I have ever drank. Had one because the tapper looked interesting, after it was gone I had to go get another because I drank it way too fast. Not as good in the bottle. Drink from the tap if you can.

M: the beer just hugs the tongue and leaves just enough remembrance to leave you wanting more.

D: Absolutely spectacular. One of my all time favorite beers.

Get this on tap if you can. The bottle does not do it justice. I will bypass all other beers if I see this.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales