Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,402 | Ratings: 7,438
4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

Bought a 6 of this awhile ago, finishing the last one now.
Appearance is a dark orange/light brown. What impresses me is that its not very dark, but you still cant see through it, a feature that I very much enjoy in beers that I might not expect it. Small head which slowly dissipates and no lacing.
I pick up on some (caramel?) malts in the nose, not much else cause my nose is a little stuffy today.
I think the 2 things that best describe the flavor is that it is well-balanced and subtley forceful. By the latter, I mean that it makes itself known, but without being obtrusive. I had this with some sausage and onion pizza, which I put garlic and hot pepper flakes on (I know, not a good pairing, especially for a review. As a rule, I seldom like to drink craft brews when I eat.) But despite of the powerful flavors in the meal that accompanied it, the flavor of the dead guy never seemed to waiver or submit. As I said, its a well done balance between the malts and hops...a feat I am thankfull for, not being a hophead. The slightly sweet malts are noticed 1st, with the hops making their presence known at the end and in the aftertaste, but not too much so.
Just the right amount of carbonation and smoothness in the mouthfeel. Very high drinkability, and a recommended brew for those who dont normally go for the hoppy stuff but still want something with a little bit of bite.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Nice in all aspects.

Pours a pretty amber color with a small head. Smells vaugely sweet with a hint of caramel and hops. Taste was very smooth, sweet and uncomplicated (perhaps the way that an ideal death should be?) with a very nice caramel aftertaste with a hint of fruit.

Full bodied, goes down like butter. High alcohol %, though, and since it's so smooth it's easy to drink too many of these...

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

The first time I drank Dead Guy Ale, it was from a 22 oz. bomber. I enjoyed the cool-as-heck glow-in-the-dark bottle and thought that the beer was decent but not outstanding. I scribbled a few notes on my impressions but held off on writing a review. Last week I revisited the Dead Guy at Rogue’s waterfront brewery in Newport and was fairly disappointed. This beer is nice, but not as fantastic as Rogue’s other creations.

To begin with I was served from an old tap. The Rogue Brewer’s On The Bay alehouse is a world-class brewpub. But it’s still a tiny one-room place in a small town and it closes at 9PM. I can’t see that they do enough business, even in the peak of July tourist season, to justify 20 brews on tap. Without sufficient turnover, the beers go flat. I accept no excuses for a stale beers at a brewpub.

Dead Guy is not bad. Not bad at all. The pint I was served had almost no head, limited carbonation, and no lace whatsoever. It was a flat bronze color, clear but without luster. It had a light aroma of sweet malts and an adequate mouthfeel, but was nowhere up to Rogue’s customary high standards. It tastes well balanced and clean with a rounded malt profile and a punctual finish. But as the name might suggest, the Dead Guy lacks vitality.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%

I missed the pour but it was set in front of me as a clear medium amber in a frosted glass. Halo of foam wanted to leave a little lacing but for the damn frosted glass. The head was completely gone by about 2/3 down. It looked nice even considering the serving faux pax.

Aroma of roasted malt and touch of flowery hops. It should be quite tasty.

Very tasty with some subtle bonus flavors of fruits and and interesting chalky note. Slight crescendo of bitterness is quite welcome.

Quite a smooth mouthfeel with a medium to heavy body.

Very drinkable for a beer that heavy. The light carbonation might have something to do with it.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: 12 oz bottle from World Market. Pours a hazy amber color with a white to tan head.

Smell: A balanced blend of hops and malt with some hints of alcohol and maybe some spice that brushes the nose.

Taste: Hops and malt both but more hops. It's got a sweet aftertaste but the first thing I taste is definitely the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very chunky and heavy. Overpowering carbonation which makes some of the nuances of the beer hard to pick up at times.

Drinkability: Ok for me. Seemed very filling and I'm not sure if I could have more than one of these in a sitting. A good representation of the style and certainly a well made brew but I probably won't be back for more.

4.36/5  rDev +10.7%

A new favorite. It has been a while since I've had a Rogue and I'm glad I grabbed this one (again?). A great bottle and label with even better beer inside. It pours a nice, solid reddish amber with a head that holds its form well. Not too much strength in the smell, but it made me think of clean, fresh, mountain air (whatever that means, other than I couldn't put my finger on any one thing).

The taste is bold and oaky but very smooth, not over-powering. It sits well on the tongue and new flavors emerge as you easily hold it for more of a taste. One quick bite as it goes down and the glass comes up for another drink.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

22oz Bomber

Roasted malt aroma that's almost fruity. Taste is malty, but balanced, with a bitter hop finish. Medium body with good carbonation. Although smooth with a balanced flavor, you can easily taste the alcohol in this beer.

Overall a solid, great tasting beer that's easy to drink and a good representation of the style.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a cloudy, dark amber with a dense head that dissipates quickly. Smells of sour apples, cherries and caramel malt - yum. Taste is plenty malty but is balanced nicely by spicy hops as well. Candy-esque tastes show through in different capacities as you drink it and it warms; whether it's the reported "cotton candy" or caramel apples. Finishes mildly bitter. On the tongue, it's medium to full and ever so smooth. A blanket of gentle carbonatin soothes the tongue. A great, highly drinkable, classic American micro that should be tried at least once by all. There's always room for some in my fridge.

4.52/5  rDev +14.7%

On tap at the Moan and Dove, Amherst MA.

Pours a cloudy caramel amber with a modest head that recedes to leave a faint lacing on the glass as you go.

Nose is interesting. Malty. Lots of caramel going on here. Sugar too. After agitating and sniffing several times the scent I indentified was that of a Sugar Daddy. Very nice.

First hit on the palate is of faint, smoky hops. This is balanced out quickly with the Sugar Daddy flavor from the nose. There's more here though, and after a few sips and some more sniffing I figured it out: toasted marshmallow! The toasted marshmallow and sugar daddy flavors are beautifully intertwined and danced all over my palate.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium carbonation. Despite flavors one would think of as being sticky or sugary, there's no sense of oversweetining on the palate. Well done.

Drinkability is great. I could easily see myself ordering more of these in the future.

Overall, a top-notch beer. In fact, the Randallized DFH 90 Minute I had after this tasted truly one-dimensional.

Wyll-

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

Auburn with a lot of highlights, nice head. Smell is of caramel malts. A good candiness in this brew, but a malt/hop interplay that is kind of annoying. Big body, smooth.

Like most of Rogue's stuff, this fails to impress me. I think I am narrowing it down to their odd bittering hoppage and the boring yeast. A good beer but not one that I am likely to return to.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

My first review...
Cloudy, light amber with a small head. Smells bready, with clean hops. Taste is malty, with some hop presence and a very nice, solid bitter finish. Good mouthfeel, a little hop oily. Very good drinkability, good both as a session and with food. Very nice, classic beer overall, but this may be an old bottle...

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

Appearance: Poured a dark amber color, slightly cloudy, rather like chestnut honey, with a minimal cream-colored head that left no lace (although I suspect this may be my own fault for opening and pouring it right from the fridge).

Smell: Subdued floral hops notes up front, followed by a blast of malt. As the beer warms up, the hops begin to take center stage, accompanied by some interesting tropical fruit-like esters.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The malt comes out to play in a big way with this beer - at points it almost tastes like a well-made sourdough bread. The malt announces itself first with caramel and honey notes, fading into a sweet breadiness from the yeast. Hops don't show up till the finish, which has a slight oily, bitter overtone. In terms of mouthfeel, this beer does give you something to chew on, as it starts out moderate and rounds off nicely at the finish. I might prefer this one with a touch more hops, but that's just my $0.02.

Drinkability: In terms of flavor and palatability, this beer is excellent, but the alcohol content will sneak up on you after three or four. Unless your liver contains a super kung-fu version of alcohol dehydrogenase, I wouldn't exactly call this a session beer.

That said, it's outstanding with a meal (I'd put it with thick soups, pasta, deli sandwiches, etc) and great as a nightcap at the end of a session.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a nice amber color, with a tan head.

The biggest smell here is malt and more malt, with some fruity characteristics.

This beers flavors are complex, there are honey and fruit flavors here, with tons of malt, and a slight hop bitterness. The taste is very breadl like, and for some reason it reminds me of cereal, sweet and grainy.

Overall this is one good beer, its so easy to drink, that the alcohol sneaks up on you.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

Rusty orange-brown in color with a small white head, the Dead Guy doesn't have a very strong smell, just a bit malty. The beer itself is quite tasty though, a sweet mix of malt, caramel and orange peel with a silky texture and a nice fruitygrainy finish. I've always liked this beer, they still print these occasionally with an orange version of the dead-guy label that glows in the dark, don't know if that was an annual Halloween stunt or what but it's cool.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Tried this one on a suggestion from an IPA lover. It had a orange honey color, kind of cloudy. Held a decent head throughout the glass. Smell was somewhat fruity. Taste was sweeter than expected. Made me think of crisp, sweetness. Not too hoppy, but just enough. Is that possible from someone who usually drinks dark stouts? Maybe my tastes are changing. Maybe it's just summer, and hot, but I enjoyed this one a lot! And will definetly drink it again.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

dark hazy orange color with a light tan head...dissapates quickly to a top layer that laces well

smell is sweet and fruity...hints of apritcot and apples

taste is a little bitter start to a sweet bananna/apricot finish

lightly carbonated with a nice full mouthfeel

pretty easy beer to drink..wouldnt have a problem killing a 6pack..but its much more enjoyable to save it and have one a night for 6 days :-)

also..one of the cooler labels ive seen

had this awhile back and forgot to review it..its definitely a good, classic beer and worth a try if you havent yet...

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

20 oz imperial pint in a traditional English pint glass

Beer was cloudy and dark with an extremely dense 1 inch thich head that did decrease in height but not in density. Left nice lacing all the way down the glass.

Smell was mildly hoppy with hints of malts and fruitiness underneath.

Tasted very good, with the fruit flavor coming to the front right from the beginning and the malt coming in right after.

Low carbonation made the flavor stand out and made this beer easy to drink.

Not particulary my favorite style, but still a fine beer and one I would order again.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

I could drink this beer all day. I find it very satisfying. I had it served in a bottle and the bartender walked away before I could get a glass. It is quite hoppy, but not overhwelmingly so, almost bittersweet. The carbonation is mild and actually what I think makes this beer so good. The aroma has hints of banana. The taste also has hints of fruit, but I've never been able to decide exactly what.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

650ml bottle, laser printed logo

Pours with a murky amber body, cloudy and hazy. Decent foamy tan head, aprx. an inch tall

Smell is hoppy, dry and musky, herby and heady

Taste is nice and bitter, lots of hops . Citrusy finish leaving a dry and musky aftertaste

I'm a big fan of this, very drinkable, very moreish, so drinka ble

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dead Guy Ale is a good, but not exceptional maibock, at least in my book. Every so often, I'll get in the mood to pick one of these up, and I never regret the experience, even if the beer itself never seems to live up to it's lofty reputation. Cool, painted label, though.

Dead Guy pours ok. Smallish head, not overly carbonated. Dark amber coloring. Hints of fruit and alcohol in the nose.

The taste is a bit on the bitter side, almost as if it's out of balance. The malts never quite get a strong foothold in this beer. The hops just seem to dominate the flavor. Slightly acidic, but it does capture some complexity. There are hints of fruits and breads in the taste.

Finishes like it started, bitter but interesting. Not immensely drinkable to my tastes. This is a good beer, but it fails to get the maibock style completely right, IMO. I'll give it a go again sometime, but I'm not sold on it as a mainstay of my regimen.

4.27/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:

Cloudy Orange-brown with a thin white head with some good retention.

Smell:

Overtones of fruit (apricot) and a delicious burnt sugar odor that has me anxious to taste.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This is one complex ale. The sugar in the nose is apparent (like a sarsparilla candy cane), but there is also a smoky yet suppleness to this one. The hops are present, but muted (to my liking). This is excellent stuff. I don't get enough Rogue in my diet, and need to drink more!

3.05/5  rDev -22.6%

single 12oz bottle.

Poured nicely with a small head that soon disappeared to nothing. Smell is piney and somewhat sour. The taste did not really impress me at first. Very sweet, somewhat piney, with a bitter hop finish. Seemed uneven, yet sort of mellowed out as time passed. Kind of flat in my opinion. No lacing on the glass whatsoever.

Not a bad beer, but not that great in the bottle. Im pretty sure, however, that this beer has been around the store I bought it from for a while, so it is possible that this sampling could be a little "off".

Note: I've had this beer several times on tap, and absolutely love it, though I am not very impressed by the bottle offering.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Had this on tap at Dr. Dremo’s. Dead Guy came out a dark amber color with not much head to it, probably due to the bartender more than the beer. The aroma has a pleasant hoppy citrus smell with creamy malt and fruity smell to go along. Taste starts off with a bitter hoppiness with spiciness to it. A nice creamy malt flavor on the back to provide some balance. It has a nice mouthfeel and is very drinkable. Has enough complexity to keep you coming back and it would make for a good session beer

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

The name is intriguing even though I'm not much of a bock afficianado; nontheless I figured I'd give it a shot. The Dead Guy Ale pours a honey-caramel colour with an off-white head that--I'm not kidding--has a green tint to it. The hops come first to the nose, but underneath are some pines and light grape and citrus tints. The taste is excellent; very complex, but balanced. It starts off with a nutty sharpness, mostly hops but a little sweet too, and there's some good strong bitterness at the finish. The mouthfeel is medium and heavily carbonated.

Dark amber brown with a small bit of quickly receding head. Smell is very nice, with some buttery pine nut flavors overlapping malts and hops on the back. Taste is much the same, with similar components. Mouthfeel is light and sharp with good amounts of carbonation. Feels perfect on the back of the pallate. It is crisp and refreshing, but it has plenty of flavor hidden within it to make it quite a good beer for a warm summer evening.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales