Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,376 | Ratings: 7,325
4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a slightly murky dark copper color with a yellowed off-white head that starts off at a couple fingers, but quickly fades to a lasting 1/4 inch layer of foam. Very little lacing on the glass. Smell is of sweet malts with a little bit of citrusy hop aroma. Taste includes sweet, bready malt, a little fruityness, and nice citrus rind-piney hop flavors. Very well balanced. Lingering hop bitterness, but it's not at all harsh, Very smooth and drinkable. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with medium body. Carbonation is apparent, but not over-done. Upon finishing the first one, I immediately wanted another! Not exactly to style... but who cares! Highly recommended and sure to become one of my regulars.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from the brand new DGA "Growler" to a robust, yet cloudy brownish-red.

Head started off nice but thinned out. There was absolutely no lace to decorate the glass.

Aroma is sweet, almost a hint of honey and spice.

Flavor is equally as nice. A near perfect balance of hop, malt, spices and whatever secret ingredients Rogue may use for this delicious brew.

I hate to say this, but I waited way too long to try this beer, being an Oregon native and all. Perhaps this is one of the better beers to share with the fizzy-yellow beer crowd in hopes of converting them to the true beer way.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Love the label. The beer is light mahogany in color, pouring out with a pillowy reddish-tan head. Good staying power with the head, scant carbonation in the beer.

Smell holds the promise of hops, malt, and grass clippings.

Hops give way to sweet malt and alcohol in the mouth, buried in a smooth, slightly oily mouthfeel. The sweetness takes over quickly, pretty much obliterating any hop bitterness. Malt lingers in the aftertaste, with hints of chocolate, smoke, and hay. For reasons unknown to me if I try to drink more than three of these in a night I wake up with a headache, which reduces the drinkability score somewhat. Certainly not without its charm, but not a whole not here to distinguish it from other microbrews.

4.01/5  rDev +1.8%

An intriguing beer that is not quite an ale, and not quite a lager, or both. There is a smoky element, perhaps from the yeast, that this beer has in common with Anchor Steam (a similarly in-between beer). Also like Anchor Steam, I've found this beer can be wonderful if fresh and well-kept, and blah if not. This is a good, fresh sample. I like the Day of the Dead theme but the Grateful Dead association is a little much. A disconcerting, and intriguing murky copper, with good head that doesn't stick around, minimal lacing. The aroma isn't much, it's pretty invisible. The beer itself is a nice blend of caramel malts, honey, bread, light smoke, gently tangy citric hops. It's almost like a Munich-style helles cross-pollenated with a hoppy Pacific Northwest pale ale. Fine stuff.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

appearance: Pours a beautiful dark amber color, a bit cloudly. It starts with a 1/2 inch head that quickly turns to just lace.

smell: Sweet and malty with maybe a little bit of a bread smell.

taste and mouthfeel: Medium bodied, somewhat sweet at first but with a more bitter finish, also a touch of citrus on the finish. A nice carbonation really helps it go down easy.

notes: Nice beer to drink, good combination of flavors but I wish it had a bit more complexity. Not much seemed to jump out flavor wise. My first Maibock.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

The Dead Guy pours a reddish-brown, nearly clear liquid with a tannish head that is large, lacing is minimal. I thought that there was surprising little aroma but that may have been my expectations running ahead of experience. The primary smell is a sweet malt aroma with some expected hints of fruit.

The taste is another story. It is a very flavorful bock with mostly roasted maltiness and some real underlying hops kick. It is bubbly in the mouth, but still manages to be creamy. I really enjoyed this first foray with the Dead Guy.

A tall creamy off-white head piles up from an aggressive pour that fills the glass with a clear coppery amber edged by pale gold highlights. Sweet smalty scent. Piney bitterness leaps into the first sip, followed by light toffee and spicy, fruity malt. I keep thinking of caramel apples. Thick, creamy bubbles fill the mouth. Resiny finish with lingering sweetness.

Once the head settles, it looks more a glass of tea. The body thins as it warms up and the alcohol becomes more evident.

12 oz bottle.
Pours a pale amber with some golden hues to it. Small but dense white head. Lacing is okay but not great.
Smell is light malts (some toastiness to the aroma, not sure what malts were used but it's definitely a masterful blend) and ripe, exotic fruits.
taste is more complex than one would think from the appearance and aroma. This is a very fruity beer (pears, apples, citrus). There is some toastiness to the beer, but it is kind of overpowered by the fruitiness.
A fine beer, I would definitely have this again.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a beautiful tan head crown that rests majestically on top of the reddish brown brew.

Pleasantly sweet scent is immediately apparent and accompanied by a slight hop aroma.

The first sip is caramel/fruity like and overly candied apple. Hoppy are subtle at first, but provide a brilliant balance.

A tremendous amount of lace coats the glass down to the last drop.

A very good beer, I will have to request more of it be ordered as I had the last six pack in the store.

4.7/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fine ale. Pours an intermediate amber color. A nice white head forms but does not last. There is however nice lacing throughout the duration. Tastes absolutely wonderul: a some what sweet malty caramel nicely balanced with a hint of bitter. This is something worth searching out. A highly drinkable beer. Enjoy!

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

This poured to a somewhat dark ruby and orange color. The head and lacing were about average.

There's almost a hint of green apple in the smell and taste. I like it. I'm not sure how it got in there but it seems to fit nicely. The flavor is good and blends the alcoholic content very well, resulting in an easily drinkable beer.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Thank you Dead Guy for opening me up to the world of better beer.
Amber in colour with a hint of gold. Hops on the nose mixed with a slight fruityness. Hoppy flavor with a good malt backing, leaves bitter. Crisp and easy drinking. I can, and will, drink this all day long.

3.41/5  rDev -13.5%

I've had Dead Guy a lot of times but am finally getting around to reviewing it.

The color is a murky dark light leather. The head is large, creamy and very healthy.

Hoppy and malty aroma. Plums, sweet malts, sap and passion fruit.

So this is brewed like a maibock but fermented like an ale. Odd. It confuses many people. The taste is fruity,spicy, tender, piney and posseses a lot of malt flavor especially caramel.

This is a so-so Rogue.

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

I exhumed this not-so-stiff beer from its 12 oz. browner with a mug totin' skeleton on a keg label. Cool name. This ruddy red morgue occupant brought to the surface a full inch of sticky cratered moon surface head that pops down and leaves a lattice lace. Reddish, clear, teeny haze, letting some decent amount of microscopic sized bubbles continually escape to the surface.

Sniffs reveal yummy vanilla ice cream & rootbeer aroma. Hmmm…cream soda in the nose. This has big-time malt caramel in the upfront nose.

Punch to the kisser is easy. Dead Guy gets knocked back as easy as wheeling a corpse on a gurney. This keg sittin’ skeleton has middle of the road creamy sweetness. Ever go to an ice cream Sundae bar, and taste caramel topping on a good Breyer’s Vanilla Ice Cream scoop? That’s it! This reminds me of an almost nitro-can pour.

There is not a whole heck of a lot of carbonation here. If left on top of the tongue, this doesn’t do much of anything. Aftertaste starts to be a mild cloying Turbanado sugar sticky sweetness that eases off to a dry wheat toast finish.

Last swigs: Easy drinker with melted vanilla ice cream & caramel soup-in-a-bowl flavors. Great body feel, sticky maple syrup finish. BA brownie points for a cool label. My mates and I drank this at a Middle Eastern seven course restaurant all night long. At the end of the night we offered our bus a couple bottles, quite to his huge enjoyment.

Beer is good. Dead or alive. Happy beering.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California. Body is dim amber with an off-white, dense head. No lacing.

Smells like sugary, buttered bisquits, with a gritty middle of hop bitterness and finishes fruity (fresh grape juice).

Taste opens with a chewy, dense bitterness along the center of my palate. The middle is tangy and spicy at once (lemon zest with a dash of red pepper flakes) and closes on a dry, bitter note played long and sharp on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth, backgrounded by a gentle fruit-juicy sweetness.

Coats my palate and coasts off with ease -- perfect. Carbonation is very evident yet not over-powering.

Well-rounded, awesomely balanced brew.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

On Tap in NYC at the Blind Tiger Ale House. Coppery/reddish body with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and tea like. I specifically smelled grapes. Taste is definitely on the hoppy side of things. Good pale malt backbone. Strong hop bitterness throughout. A full and smooth mouthfeel. This beer is close to IPA territory.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

I picked up a bomber of this at Riverside Beverage in Chattanooga. I was very excited to find a store that carried more than a few selections of Rogue in my area.

This brew pours beautifully into a standard pint glass. It’s appearance is a clear, rusty reddish orange. A lively off white head compiles robustly a nice three fingers high. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles make their way quickly to join the head. Lacing is somewhat sparse but persistant.

As soon as the bottle is opened the sweet maltiness in the aroma reaches out and tickles my nose. Caramel and toffee wrap themselves lovingly around the juicy hop aroma in the nose. This beer smells absolutely delicious.

The smooth, sweet malts roll their way across my tongue as bitterness prickles at the edges and back of my palette. Straight up malts and hops here baby, and I love it. Mouthfeel is moderate, and lets this one go down EASY. Insanely drinkable.

I will definitely be making a return trip for more of these, in fact I wish I would’ve picked up a sixer instead of a bomber. There’s always next time. In fact, now I know why they keep cases of this one by the door!

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this one on tap at MacGregors tap room. It was my first experience with the style, and I'll definitely try a few more. Although in comparison to the other "bock" styles it's not my favorite. I love and am somewhat used to drinking dopplebock's, and this is considerably sweeter, and slightly less alcoholic.
Poured a dark amber, with smallish head, although I never seem to get much of a head at this joint.
Couldn't really pin this brew down. Maybe because it was so balanced. Had a sweet agreeable malty tone but perhaps a bit too sweet, slight spiciness that I enjoyed, and finished crisply. Nothing really stood out, but thats not always a negative.

Great session brew, but perhaps not with taco salad. Live and learn.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a nice dark amber with a two-finger head. This head is lasting a good while here.

The smell is a moderate strength. Sweet and clean malt and hop smell.

A nice toasty malt taste. The hops really come out in the finish. Not as complex a some better beers, but as tasty as we expect.

This beer is active on the tongue, but not harsh. Goes down smooth. Don't really feel the alcohol here. It's a little higher in ABV, but not so much you can't take a few. I'm drinking a bomber now and could probably handle another if I had one.

This is the beer that really got me searching more than ever for better beers. Had it at a deep dish pizza place that had the first beer list I ever saw. I admit I was drawn by the name but came back for the taste. While it almost made my girlfriend sick (she dislikes beer in general), I enjoyed it. It's a good one.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

A pre-symphony pint last night from the new corner joint that suprisingly has gone upscale grunge but with a comfortable feel; kind of like this beer. a Rembrantesque color deep,dark reddish brown- beautful bown-cafe color. Excellent head, glass-lacing and a nose of plum tones. Again, I too am not versed in the maibock style, but I enjoyed what appeared to be a full-bodied, sweet -hopped beer. I enjoyed this beer immensely; very, very quaffable. I can't wait to have some more. Would also like to compare to it in the bottle.
well I''ve found that this is also a great beer prelude to bluegrass as well as classical. I truly, truly enjoy this beer. I also had the good fortune to have pints from a fresh keg - this is one quaffable drinkable beer. additional comments- really smooth, nutty mouthfeel. I love the sweet hoppiness and the dark distinct, medium to full body. this is almost a combination stout-ipa or porter ipa, but way better than any black & tan that I've ever had. truly wonderful beer and a favorite.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

This is my first experience with the Maibock style. Pours a solid orange, quite an unusual and interesting color for a beer, with average head. Smells like a pilsner, hoppy and "crisp". An excellent taste, pacman hops provide an unique and subtle bitterness, semisweet, with a hint of jasmine perhaps? A fun and refreshing brew.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Already tons of reviews for this beer, so I'll spare the unabridged review. Just wanted to note the (very subtle) flavor of cotton candy I noticed in this beer. (anybody else pick that up?) And, call me crazy, but I see this as being a near perfect session beer. Very, very drinkable, yet it has the complexities to keep one interested for some time. Give me this stuff and just watch it disappear.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

i found it interesting that the beer is labeled an ale, but is really a maibock? i had, and still have no idea, what a maibock is. But by the time i completed my first sip, i concluded that whatever a maibock is, i like it. now, last night was a hectic beer-b-q and i didn't really have the time to give my full attention to one of these dead man's brews, so tonight, ive decided to take some time aside properly review this beer, so here goes:

appearance: a gold coppery brown, similar to that of fine homebrewed iced tea. A thin, but rather elegant lacey head rests on top of this beer, and receded significantly after a few minutes.

smell: not the strongest of scents, yet appealing. the smell is of hops and assorted fruits.

taste: an initial burst of fruit flavor, that is quickly followed by an explosion of hops. The hops come across as sweet at first, but then blossom into an excellent bitter hop kick in the ass. the bitter hope aftertaste is not overwhelming, but is extremely strong. this has quite a bearing on the mouthfeel, depending on your feelings towards hoppiness

mouthfeel: blissful at first, but the bitter hoppiness that lingers on in your mouth will really detract people who arent into a powerful hop prescense.

drinkability: not really a session beer. its strenth is well masked, making it easy to drink, although the bitter hop aftertaste would make it a chore (a pleasant chore i guess) to put down alot of these.

i give dead guy the nod. i look foward to trying more maibocks in the future. this beer kinda reminded me of hopdevil ale, sans spiciness. the negatives for this beer would be that it could have been more bold, and the the aftertaste can be rough to the point were it interferes with the taste of your next sip, gulp, whatever. i have to say though, this beers positives far outweigh the negatives. good beer for a cool fall or spring night.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

The pour was light copper/amber with a half inch head that quickly dissapated to nothing. It left a fine ring around the top of the beer that stayed with the beer throughout the drink but didn't stick to the glass.

The smell was floral, with a light hint of apples. All that mixed with malt and hop spice.

The drink started with a very carbonated sweet kick followed with a medium hop bite in the middle. It finished with a mix of malt sweetness and hop bite, but it didn't linger.

This is a very drinkable and refreshing beer that didn't let me down, given how ledgendary it is. I'm glad I finally got to try it.

Finally picked up this legendary beer. My expectations were kind of high and I guess i was a little dissapointed with it. Pours a nice red/brown color with a small white head that was tinged with beige. Smell is faint but it is sweet and malty. Taste is more of the same. The malt is more easily perceived than the hops and the finish is slightly sweet like Xingu. This beer feels a little bit thin to me, but i suppose the drinkability is decent. This is just a good beer, not great, not bad, but good.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales