Smoke Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

Label of 22 oz bottle:

12 Ingredients: Great Western, Harrington, Klages, Munich & Hugh Baird Crystal, Carastan 30/37 & 13/17, Chuck's Alderwood Smoked Munich & Bamberg Beechwood Smoked Malts; Saaz & Perle Hops, Free Range Coastal Waters & Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast. No Chemicals, Preservatives or Additives.

DEDICATED TO THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL.

A German Style Rauchbier with an orange-amber hue, a delicate smoke aroma and flavor, with an intense hop finish.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 48 IBU

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Liked:
3.8/5
Alströms:

2.92/5  rDev -23.2%

Appearance: A very nice, if somewhat hazy, burnt orange with a billowy, slightly off-white head that lasts for a fairly long time.

Smell: Unique and intriguing, a nice mix of malt sweetness with a pronounced wood smokiness, delicious.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Medium body with nice carbonation. Starts rich and malty with a bit of hop bite when BWAAAH! Oh my GOD, absolutely overpowering blast of smoked meat and sweet barbecue sauce; about as subtle as a lead pipe to the head.

Drinkability: Glad I did it, but I can't imagine ever drinking another. In fact, I had trouble finishing this one.

I must point out I'm no expert in this genre of beer, but I simply cannot recommend a beer with one flavor feature so radically overpowering. If you really feel the urge to drink a liquefied sausage, this is your chance.

2.64/5  rDev -30.5%

Beautiful reddish amber with wispy white head.
Smells like bacon. Yummy bacon.
Tastes like bacon. Yummy bacon. And katsuobushi. The flavor is nicely balanced. Balanced but I cannot discern the hops seperate from the smoke. So maybe mixed.
Smooth micro bubbles and long finish.
I like to eat bacon, not eat it.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Try to think of the character Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds" when you read the following line:

"We've got band-aids! We've got band-aids."

I don't mean to begin with something negative, but that's the first thing I noticed when I tasted this.

The guy in the beer store said he had heard from supposed smoke beer lovers that Rogue Smoke Ale was "too much." I don't find it to be quite that. In fact, once your brain learns to regard the band-aid flavor as hops, it's very good. I've had a few smoke beers before this one, and only one of them had a definitive smoke flavor. But I didn't doubt Rogue for a second and nor should I have. The smoke flavor is there, but it respects its boundaries and it's delightful.

I knew the beer that got me into the mug club wouldn't taste like shit!

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Ok served at the Rogue brewery on the Bay at Newport , Oregon.
The beer appears a smokey, slightly hazy chesnut brown..with a good tan coloured head.
mmm nice smokiness to the beer rather like good smoked Gouda cheeese..some malts in the background.
Nice smokey taste but not near as much as the great German Rauchbiers..but its still very noticable,,some malts show through..no hops detected.
Nice on the palate ..smooth despte the smokiness.
I liked this beer..very tasty.

2.38/5  rDev -37.4%

Nice mouthfeel, but thats about it. I think the smoke flavor and aromas just didn't mix well with the rest of the beer. The spicy hops combined with the smoke to give a plastic flavor I couldn't stomach. I actually gave up after less than half a glass and poured the rest into the dog's bowl... He couldn't finish it either.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%

My first true smoke beer. Orangey color with a low beige head. Aroma is distinct beef jerky. Flavor also reminds me of beef jerky, with a touch of saltiness (or am I imagining that?). Very light hops and malt, perhaps a touch in the finish. The flavor is very distinctly smokey, and all the way through the glass, still feels like tasting a piece of smoked meat. Interesting.

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy reddish brown with a modest offwhite head that quickly goes away. No lacing at all.

Smell: Hickory smoked sausage with a touch of malts and hops. Something like a nice campfire.

Taste: Smoky and bitter with a touch of sweetness from the toasted caramel malt. Very unique.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, but the taste has a presence that lingers for quite some time.

Drinkability: Not an everyday beer, to be sure. Unless this is your cup of tea. Worth trying, and I'll probably have some more in the future.

Other: Screams for food. Cuz it was late and I was out of food in the house, I opted for jerky from the 7-11. I felt bad having the Bud of meat with something of such good quality, but wow did it pair well.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

22 oz bomber bottle found at the Whole Foods Market with a bunch of his brothers. "That's it, everybody in the cart, you're all coming with me ! "
Murky dark copper color. Thin tight beige head. Bubbled up then faded to a thin coating on top.
Smoke smell striking from the moment the cap is popped. Fills your nose with a deep musky smoke, more like a NW smoked salmon smell vs. a charcoal smoke of some of the others, if that makes sense great.
Tastes like a hop charged amber ale, that sat in a wood smoker for a few days. Very nice, more subtle smoke flavor than the August Schlenka Rauchbiers I have had. Nice carmel malt sweetness lies underneath with a bitter snappy hop finish. Fairly dry finish, but some hop bitterness and smoke lingers enough for your tastebuds to crave another taste. Medium to light bodied. Flavors are bold, but balanced. Smokiness is not overly played. Bottom of the glass yeilds hints of peat and smokiness akin to an Islay Scotch Whiskey without the heat. Paired this with an oven roasted hickory smoked turkey and swiss sandwich and the exhaust fumes of the Brickyard 400. Perfect Match ! I could have this again maybe with a winter time smoked gouda or nice rubusto on the back porch.

4.24/5  rDev +11.6%

smoky, smoky, smoky! what a great brew. a dark amber ale wit ha medium head that dissolves to a nice lasting lace. the smoke smell hits you and doesn't quit. this brew is like liquid barbecue and had me craving some pulled pork and ribs. along with the smokiness, some spice flavours can be detected along with a bit of nuttiness. goes down smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. i really dug this brew and hope to find it again real soon. one of my favourite rouge ales.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Man, another good brew from Rogue!This was my 11th different brew from these guys and once again I was impressed. Looked and tasted similar to the German Rauchenfelser I drink from time to time. Cloudy deep muddy amber with nice thick head that laced nicely. Aroma is smoky Beechwood and a subtle hopiness. Medium bodied and smooth with a slightly dry finish. Flavor is nice blend of the smoked malts with a generous dose of hops bittering nicely but not overbearing. I recommend this one only if you like smoked beers. I happen to, and Rogue did a nice job with this offering.

3.15/5  rDev -17.1%

This brew has a smoked sausage aroma. Medium head of fine light brown bubbles above a tempting cloudy dark brown body. Tastes like carbonated sausage too. It also has a strong smoke aftertaste.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

Pellucid light ruby hue. Fluffy vanilla white persistent head leaves loose foam trails. Mellow smoked malt and understated toasty Munich upfront in aroma, followed by medium lovibond caramel sweetness and subtle, red currant fruitiness. Overshadowed spicy hop nose. Surprisingly tame, but pleasant aromawise. A combination of caramel malt and dextrin sweetness hits the palate initially, then is contrasted by rounded, lingering smoke and moderate hop bitterness. Melanoidin tinged, grainy Munich malt undertone adds depth in malt character. Hint of grassy hop flavor adds a token noble presence. Moderate in body, but heavily dextrinous and approaching oily in mouthfeel, from the copious use of caramel malts. Plenty of residual dextrins, but not quite proteinaceous enough. As the beer breathes, smoked malt, although not overbearing, begins to envelope the palate. Finishes oily, smokey and lightly bitter. Almost a great smoked beer. It doesn't possess the depth or crispness of malt character demonstrated by Schlenkerla lagers, and the smoke character is almost peated like in nature. Rogue Smoke is nonetheless a unique, flavorful and enjoyable brew that I would readily drink again.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottled in 2000. Poured out with just enough carbonation to produce a 1/8 inch off white head that immediately settles on top of hazy brownish liquid with red notes. Nose is a gentle smokiness that is still quite inviting. Taste is all about smoke, smoke that lingers on and on until quietly pushed aside by a medium sweet maltiness & a mere shadow of the hoppiness that a fresh sample would possess. Finishes sweet, withna long-to-fade note of smoke.

Thanks to francisweizen for the bottle.

3.46/5  rDev -8.9%

Notes: old 7 ounce bottle from when this beer was part of the XS line from Rogue. No date indicated but I am guessing that this beer is from 2000 or earlier. This beer opened up with no 'pft' at all! It poured with no head and much sediment so the appearance was not very nice at all. If it had been decanted it would have been a nice brown colour. This smelled like smoke and tasted like smoke! Quite nice really, but I think a fresher carbonated bottle may work a little better than this. The mouthfeel was suprisingly full and good but the lack of carbonation really did it in for me. A nice 'blast from the past' and definately worthy a try if you can find it. This beer has some high strong points and some weak points as well. Interesting to say the least. R.I.P.
Cheers!,
F.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

I'm not a fan of most rauchbiers but when i saw a Rogue bomber i never tried i had to have it. This hazy copper colored brew has a medium to active carbonation that livens up the flavors nicely. The smoke and sweet maltiness seems more subdued than most other rauchbier i have had and it works well for this brew. The Saaz and Perle hops give a pleasant spicy and clean finish. I wish i saved this for later to have with the heavily smoked kielbasa i'm having for dinner.

2.59/5  rDev -31.8%

22 oz. bottle

Appearance: This beer poured a brownish-red color with minimal head at all. It thinned out quickly to just a ring around the edge of the glass and left no lace.

Smell: The very first smell that hit my nose was a sweet, maltiness. That was then joined almost instantly by a smokey aroma. It reminded me of smoked salmon, or possibly beef jerky. The two smells, malt and smoke, intermingled, with the smoke being the most prominent. I could not detect any hops in the aroma until I had taken a drink.

Mouthfeel: This was a fairly smooth, full bodied beer.

Taste: Basically, this beer had an intense smoke flavor that was followed by a nice hop bite. I felt the malt in the beer more than I tasted it. Drinkability was horrible. The smoke flavor just became too much. I dumped out most of the bottle

Personally, I did not like this beer. However, I believe that it is probably a good representation of the style.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours copper in color with small head. Slight smell of smoke. Taste is smokey but in a subdued way compared to other smoked ales that I've had. Not as sweet as other smoked stouts or smoked ales. Don't get the ashy taste. A good intro to smoked beers but not quite the most unique smoked experience out there. Nice to know it is there in the Rogue lineup.

4.01/5  rDev +5.5%

Undated 7 oz bottle. Carefully poured off of the yeast it's only slightly hazy. The body is a deep orange-tinted copper. A short foamy head drops quickly to nothing. The aroma is quite astonishing and reminds me of my favorite smoked beer, the Alaskan Smoked Porter (also by John Maier). I guess that's the Alderwood. But there's also some sweet malt there that's just as inviting. The body is medium/light and quite smooth in the mouth as there's only a limited carbonation. The flavor starts with a rich and sweet Munich and caramel maltiness but soon gives way to smokiness. Very nice! The bitterness rises in the finish along with a palate coating smokiness. The Beechwood flavor is noticeable. Very well done with lots of smoke flavor, but not overly aggressive and cloying. Some minor hop flavor is also present throughout, although I suspect that this is an old bottle that's dulled considerably. Still, it's quite nice and I intend to enjoy a few more of these!

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

Nose is toasty and subdued smoke, like your jacket might smell a couple days after a bonfire party and with a bunch of crackers in the breast pocket. Hops are kept to a minimum--for a Rogue brew--to allow the fleeting smoke flavor to ease its way across your buds. A very accessible smoke beer, but it doesn't quite sate the guy who sits closest to the campfire. Would make a good starting point if your interested in the style.

Cheers to Billy Stout for the sample!

I was given a pony bottle, so I did not get allot but from what I got was as follows. Color was a slight smoke clouded amber. Decent yellow-pale/smokey head. The lace seemed thick and mirrored the head. The smell had hints of malt and smoke. The smoke was not as strong as I would have thought it would/should be in the smell. Tasted slight hops, chocolate, coffee , slight sweetness but the smoke flavor was there. A good style of beer and brand. I would like to try a bigger bottle to get more.

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a deep, hazy amber color with a solid, well-retaining head. Smell is mainly of the smoked malts. Taste is quite smoky with the typical Rogue hop profile, which is quite robust. Would complement foods like smoked salmon well. Very enjoyable flavor. A smooth, relatively carbonated mouthfeel and solid drinkability make this an applaudable stab at the rauchbier style. Very good.

Pours out a stormy haze-filled amber. Large pale-yellow head shows great durability. Clinging and milkshake-like.
Ashy and malty nose. Smoke is not as pronounced as most of the classics. Substancial bready notes with flashes of chocolate. Hops are noted, but to extent that they play in this brew.
Taste begins somewhat bready with an underlying camel sweetness. Hints of coffee and chocolate, but they disappear as soon as they are identified. A large, lazy, smoke cloud decends. Not overly assertive, but just present to add some smoky goodness. Just as this begins to settle in and smother the mouth in that smoky embrace, the hops rudely enter and shatters the moment. Like your drunken roommate entering the room on you and your ladyfriend (or boyfriend...or your blow-up doll). Lingering burnt toast flavors afterwards and memories of euphoria lost.
Medium and creamy mouthfeel. Light to medium carbonation.
Still pretty nice, but could have been wonderful.
F'king hops.

4.13/5  rDev +8.7%

I found a fresh bomber of this, so I'm re-reviewing it since my last sample was past its prime. Pours a wood brown to amber color with a very slight haze, topped with a cream-colored head that stays very well in the 2-3 cm range. A few splotches cling to the glass as it goes down. Great smoked aroma, of course. Reminds me of a barbecue. Maltiness is detectable under this. However, the aroma is not nearly as strong as it was in my aged sample. In the flavor, the smoke is much more subtle than I expected. Instead, a targeted and crisp rind-like hop bite takes center stage. Caramel malt is detectable just under this, and is more evenly distributed on the palate than the hop character. Gives a good balance between the two. Much better body than my last sample. Smoke is more present with retro-olfaction, and in the aftertaste. Although I expected more smoke, it's a good effort overall. Soothing, warming, and satisfying.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

Deep amber in color, the head is light beige, the lace in thin sheets. Nose is malt, light hints of caramel, bit of smoke. Front is sweet, the top light, the finish once again has a touch of smoke, acidic, dry, fairly well hopped and a decent drinking beer. Ranks #657 on my current 1000 beer master list.

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Slightly hazy, dark red-amber body. Thick, rocky, cream-colored head. Very smoky aroma with slight undertones of sweet malt. I really can't taste anything beyond the smoke. Smooth beer, just too heavy on the smoke to be truly enjoyable. Probably great with a turkey sandwich.

Smoke Ale from Rogue Ales