XS Imperial India Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 1,251 |  Reviews: 770
4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap, a 1/2 pint pour at the Rogue Ales Public House. $3.75.

A: Silky, slightly cloudy golden beauty. Thin white head with a clingy lace. Small lazy carbonation bubbles percolate to the surface.

S: Powerful hop aroma. Big bitter citrus, fresh resinous pine. Extremely fragrant.

T: Juicy! Lots of grapefruit and piney hops. Very fresh, slightly herbal, slightly medicinal (bitter), but so full of flavor. A malt sweetness creeps into the mix after the initial hops fade. Salivation-causing!

M: Thick full mouthfeel. Tongue-tingling lingering bitterness. Creamy, thickness is almost syrupy.

D: A wow beer - amazing. Powerful flavors, heavy ABV so limit to smaller doses. Very highly recommended DIPA.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Love the bottle. This was a hazy orange color with a nice thick head, and some impressive lacing. Wonderful floral aroma, very intense. The first sip gave a big, bitter hops taste, as well as a noticeable alcohol taste. I thought the alcohol was a little intrusive, but still a really good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

The XS bottles are the Stealth Bombers of the beer world. I love them, but why the stoppers? I guess as a gift to homebrewers.

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange color with a chunky long lasting head. Lacing is astounding, dense curtains puncuated by thick ridges. The aroma is packed to the floorboards with fresh, pithy, perfumey hops. Some firm malt is also detected but the ethereal hop aromas take over. The first thing I taste is a big wack of hop bitterness and some warming alcohol. Citrusy, herbal, aspriny, woody hop flavors quickly peek through the colossal bitterness. A solid caramel malt base is always present and gains more depth as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is medium but numbing with loads of hop bitterness and alcohol heat. The finish is long and hoppy with a powdery aspirin feel.

This is a kick ass DIPA. It has an intense amount of hops but also a good malt balast. Not so much the citrus bomb variety, this DIPA has a more herbal hop profile. Potent stuff.

4.46/5  rDev +8.3%

This is my first review so its pretty small.

$9.95 for a ceramic flip top bottle.

A-1 to 1/2 in. head,murky color.

T-Very hoppy tasting,evident of fruit ,strong taste on my palate.

S-Fruity smell

D-Very strong taste,would recommend,Dont know if i could drink a 6 pack or more.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

This is a 750 mL ceramic bottle, much disparaged of late (and that made me curious to try it), served in a Troegenator glass seidel.

Appearance: The ale has a hazy, burnt orange colors with a thick vigorous head that laces very well.

Smell: The ale has a fragrant citrusy hop aroma that gives off a slight bitterness.

Taste: The ale has a citrusy floral hop flavor that is vibrant but not over powering. The finish is long, giving a slight grapefruit flavor. The alcohol becomes evident when the ale is allowed to warm on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: The ale's hop body and alcohol get a little heady at times. The alcohol is a bit of a put-off while the hops are not too bad.

Drinkability: The 9.2% is rough, but one bottle is very doable for this hop beast.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Well i took this bottle and poured it into a nice mug. The appearance was an amber with about two fingers of white head. In the smell category it smelt very much like hops and almost a citrus. The taste was nice in the beginning changing to more of and undesireable aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very thick as almost if you were drinking milk but it is able to be dealt with. The drinkability was harder I believe you cannot quickly drink this beer it takes a few minutes. All in allI would buy this again because i though that the overall experience was nice.

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours a cloudy dark golden yellow, some carbonation, nice small foamy head, nice lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops a plenty, citrus, and some spices.

T - The tasty is hoppy as expected with a nice dry bite finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Very drinkable. An amazing brew from Rogue, very tasty.

Bottle courtesy of Daalamar: Poured a deep and cloudy brown color ale with a small foamy head that disappeared quite quickly. Aromas of citrus hops is quite powerful and dominate most of the aroma. Taste is a mix between sweet malt and a load of hops that provide a citrus and quiet extreme bitter finish. Body is way above average and I love the fact that this is unfiltered. Great IIPA that I wouldn’t mind cellaring a few of those.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Great packaging, great IPA. Pours a beautiful dark amber, with lingering head. Smell is of butterscotch, pine, citrus, and of course, hops. The 9.2 ABV cautions sips, not gulps, but this IPA has an intense initial smoothness followed by a nice, lingering bitterness. All in all an exceptional IPA...

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL ceramic flip-top bottle. Very cool.

Pours a light auburn, almost orange color with a nice, fluffy head and good lacing along the glass. The aroma is fairly malty, with a hint of alcohol and some floral, spicy, citrus hops. The taste is also sweet with malt followed by some spicy hops and then a bitter, citrus-rind hops finish that I found too harsh. Carbonation was fairly light, with medium body. Overall, it had some good flavors, but the rough, harsh bitterness took away from the taste and drinkability to me. It did hide the alcohol taste, though.

3.74/5  rDev -9.2%

1 pint 10 oz swing top ceramic bottle.

OK, so i love this bottle. I might even have rated it higher, but the Lagunitas Shut down ale sorta beat it out last weekend during an IPA vertical tasting. I need to try this again, ...alone.
Darkish amber color with a cream [darkish] thinnish head. The aroma wasn't nearly as good as the Lagunitas, but it did have some hops present. A much sharper hope flavor, that didn't seem to be as balanced with malt. This was very drinkable, and i will try this again.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

After long deliberation, I finally decided to shell out 13 bucks for one of these overpriced "XS" series of bottles. The primary reason being that I'm on a mission to try every DIPA I can. The beer poured a dark golden color, almost amber, with a small head that lingered in the glass. Aroma was typical for the style, very floral and citrusy. Nice. Taste was very good, with flavors of citrus, hops, tropical fruits(mango maybe?) and a nice dose of malty sweetness in between. I could taste some alcoholic punch as the beer warmed. Mouthfeel was medium and I enjoyed that slick, oily sensation that highly hopped beers have. This is an excellent DIPA. It's very hoppy, but also balanced so it doesn't become a horrible mouth puckering mess. Is it worth the money I payed? Probably not, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 2 hours later the 750ml ceramic bottle was empty and I was feeling quite happy.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

This was served to me with a tiny head atop a golden brown body. I was glad to finally find this on tap rather than spending what is in my humble opinion an overpriced $12 for a bottle. Nose was very faint, but what I could coax out of it appeared to be piney. Taste was very nice, running the gamut of hop flavors. Pine, grapefruit, orange, and a decent amount of malt to play second fiddle. Mouth was medium but nicely carbonated. I'd surely drink this again if I found it on tap, but no way would I spend $12 for a bottle. Rogue, please put this in regular bottles instead of the overpriced ceramics.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this beer out of the new ceramic bottle and I was very suprised. The beer poured a very light yellow color, much light than any IPA I've had, let alone a DIPA. Had a nice white head that lasted about a third of the glass with very little lacing. The smell was a light scent of hops with a slight amount of malt.

The taste a a very hoppy taste, but as citrusy as I was expecting. Very little malt balance, but not so mush that it was unpleasant to drink. Great hop after taste, like the oils of hops were on your tongue. Mouthfeel was really smooth and carbonation was really good.

A really nice beer from Rogue and the ceramic bottle was COOL! A little pricey, but if you want the bottle it's worth a try.

3.1/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a stopper-capped ceramic bottle - the best looking bottle I've ever come across, btw - into a tulip glass. Cloudy orange-amber, thick, tan head, lovely lacing. Perfect looking.

Aroma is highly hopped with sweet malt backbone. Hops tend towards the pine-y side. Can smell the alcohol too.

Taste: [ insert needle ripping across vinly LP ] Damn! What's gone wrong? Bitter (and not the hops kind of bitter) with a horrible burning plastic aftertaste. Astringent. Bleh.

Despite the tase, it felt pretty good in the mouth. Burns going down, though.Not an unpleasant burn, more a spicy burn, but a burn nevertheless.

Drinkability - The taste and $$$ conspire to make it a 2.5.

Man, I hope something was wrong with this one. It looked and smelled incredible. The taste went off the rails, tho. You'd think that if something was bad pre se with the bottle, you'd be able to tell early on. Not here. This one puzzles me to no end.

Bottom line: Big -no, horrible - disappointment. That said, I'll try it again, just to see if it was an isolated event. Rogue's always come through for me in the past; this one deserves a second try.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

First time I tried this was out of a ceramic bottle, but managed to find a 12 oz at the liquor store for $3.60. What a find!

Cloudy, rusted-gold body with an off-white head that stays. Hops drift slow out of the glass. This one really must have had some time to age more in the bottle, because the hops are really soft. It doesn't get overly grassy and mellows out nicely at the very end. Reminds me of a really good rye whiskey. Give this beer some time to age and it won't kick you in the teeth with hops, but rather it will slide in with velvety hops like an early spring afternoon. Sweet malt is well balanced in this beer. Thank you sir, may I have another?

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 750mL ceramic bottle.

This beer pours a hazy golden orange with a creamy off white head that holds decently and laces a little. The smell is a nice balance of sweet malts and hop aroma. Very Nice! The taste is a little dissapointing for the style. While this beer is still quite good, it was not quite as good as I expected from the other reviews. I kind of thought that this beer was a little out of balance. For 74 IBUs, this was quite bitter. I felt like there wasn't enought maltiness to this beer to balance out the bitterness. It also felt as if there was not enough aromatic and flavor hops, just a bunch of hops that is used for bitterness. There is a nice thickness and good carbonation to balance out the feel. Overall quite drinkable, a good Double IPA just not the best.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

And now for something completely different… This is not what I expected at all but I like it. 2IPA is one wicked brew. Served in a 7 oz glass at the public house in San Francisco. Body is light yellow-orange . Carbonation is minute, nearly invisible. Head is lacking but a thin, glass-clinging lace looks quite nice. Agitation of the glass creates an 1/8 inch of bubbles that lasts but a split second. Surprisingly absent in the aroma are pine sap or juniper berries, two things I’ve grown to expect in 2xIPAs. Instead I find a bountiful amount of tangerine rinds and touches of ruby red grapefruit juice. Mouthfeel is very interesting. This 2xIPA is wet on the palate. How odd. I expect dryness in a 2xIPA. Not so with this one. I actually find this rather thirst quenching and refreshing. It’s not bitter by the standards of the style. In fact I primarily taste sweet tangerine juice. Obviously this points to some heavy hopping but somehow it remains well balanced and very drinkable, perhaps even for non-hopheads. Exceptional buzz and great sweet citrus flavor. Should be served by the liter though. Seven ounces is just not enough.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

750 Ceramic type black bottle, capped w/ a stopper for next day use for the girls that can't finish a bottle. Decent head that takes a bit of work, nice lacing, orange to light copper in color.

Of course there is the large hop presence but underneath this has a nice orange fruity taste that is essential to the goodness. Saaz type drying after the fruitiness is helpfull (I love saaz). Cascades are pretty well refined, far from the super raw that I've noticed in other DIPA's. This has what I would expect from this style but its easier on the palate and a bit more drinkable.

Notes: Huge fan of this offering, although if there is any criticism its the price per value ratio that I tend to use for my beer stock selections. Is it good? Yeah....Is it great? eh borderline. Can I do without it? yeah for the price its a bit out of range for how good it is. There are plenty of borderline great DIPA's out there that are much more reasonable. Nice bottle to bring out for company though as the presentation alone is impressive.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Fantastic color on the pour. This beer had an exceptional copper color with modal tones of orange. Plenty of large, excitedly mobile carbonation bubbles throughout the beer. All topped of with a large creamy almost white head the had a fantastic retention time and stellar lacing.

The first note I had with the first whiff was a sublte but noticable hop. This was quickly overtaken by a citrus aroma that danced in my nose for a while. Citrus aroma was mostly of grapefruit with hints of orange knocking at the door. A third smell also noted a slight hint of green apple.

The first taste was a nice blend of the hops and grapefruit, that sadly disappointed due to the lack of the orange or apple noted. Despite the lack of those two I was impressed on a second sip to have a slightly more malty flavor then first noted. It was in perfect balance to the other flavors.

Sat on my tongue while tasting, with a carbonation kick. This beer had a decent mouthfeel, despite the slighty higher alcohol content I thought might make it go wrong. No watery feel, with flavors that bounced all over.

Unless you are opposed to hop this is a must try for everyone. A fantastic first offering I have tried from a brewery that rates so well. I assumed that based on the high marks I would only end up dissapointed, but will be the first to admit how wrong I was. To the boys at Rogue, kudos.

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours out a nice amber with a light head on it. Clear and appetizing. Smells well hopped, a little minty, with a good bit of malt sweetness coming out to balance it. A pleasant surprise in taste. Not like I expected. It is quite complex with a bitter hop coming out a bit stronger than the malt. But what I think makes it delicious is the fruity esters that come out right when it hits my mouth. Crisp, not a heavy mouthfeel-medium at best with a great bitterness. I like this one a lot, a great bitterness and good complexity.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

I didn't know what to expect going into this beer, but I was pleasantly suprised. It had a quite golden/amber, see through appearance. The bubbly head stayed retained pretty well. The smell was not especially pungent as is with a lot of double IPAs, but it gave you some clue as to what was about to ensue from the taste. The taste was the best part of this beer. A sweet pale malt flavor was very prominent in the start, and balance in the finish. At first sip, you can sense the hoppy aroma, fruity and citrusy with some pine, but there is not at bitter bite, and this I found my favorite character of the beer. I can't even come up with all of the words I want to describe the hop flavor, there were fruity esters across the whole spectrum. The mouth feel was pretty impressive too, enough cabonation and sweet flavor from the mouth to hide most of the alcohol. I rated this in its category for drinkablily, I think its the most drinkable double IPA I have ever tried

3.77/5  rDev -8.5%

Absolutely industrial-looking black ceramic bottle, 750ml. Looks like a small bomb or missile canister. Black cap with the attached swing-top capper, giving the option of putting this beast back in the fridge instead of imbibing it all in one sitting. On the front is the blue, vertical "Rogue" with red lettering below it showing the IIPA. Definitely an eye-catcher of a bottle: the aesthetics beg to be seen. Quite a pop as the cap comes off and this beer poured into my pint glass a hazy apricot/peach, with an enamel-white head that thinned quickly but remained with various sizes of bubbles. Average lacing. Decent appearance, nothing extraordinary. Aroma...mmm, good citrus hits of grapefruit, pomegranate seeds, and lemon. Absolutely lovely combination of hops here: spicy, like jalapeno peppers or tree bark. As I sniff well above the glass, though, I actually get more caramel malt than I would have expected, adding some butterscotch and bread notes. As expected the hops take over very quickly on the nose, earthy, like fresh soil, with a bit of chemical astringency. Extremely metallic at times, tickling the nose. Rusty metal notes. All in all very warming and piquant, not overpowering so as to numb the nose, but absolutely filled with hop oils and bursting with floral bouquet. Lots of flowery, perfumey nuances as well. Very nice. Taste is a little overwhelming at first in its bitterness. Definitely the dryest beer I have yet tasted(hey, we don't get many DIPAs up here in Canada). The first taste is a grapefruit and barbecue flavour. Then come a myriad of metallic burnt tastes, and the finish really does pucker the mouth and slaps the saliva-glands in the face. The solvency of the hops really makes the alcohol more noticeable, making this a very slow sipper. The malting makes a small appearance in the finish, and the beer does have sweetish fruity flavours, but it is hard to get anything past the metallic bitterness and earthy spicy citrus flavours. Very tasty, but a little one-sided, limiting the complexity. Funny, in the long aftertaste, seafood or oyster-like flavours appear effervescently. Sometimes the aftertaste literally resembles a mouthful of dirt. A solid mouthfeel, low in carbonation and medium-bodied but with a lingering bitterness that is remarkable--spritzy on the tongue and sticking around on the mouth like a hot pepper. Drinkability? Come on. Now, this might be drinkable in the style(it is only the second DIPA I have had) but I could not see myself buying this regularly. The opposite of a session beer: big and brutal, worth trying once for the thrill, but I could never see myself buying this again, especially for the price. It was kind of like a bungee jump or something: fun once, expensive...not something you would want to do every weekend. Magnificent packaging and aroma though.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Deep orange/ copper color, looks flat initially but the light head just takes time to develop. Smell of bright hops and citrus fruit hit the nose strongly. The taste is strong, with orange and grapefruit flavors up front, coupled with piney hops. The flavors sort of fades into the finish though and doesn't give you much to hold on to. Alcohol not too strong, moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is a bit light/thin, with very subtle carbonation. I was able to drink it very easily even at over 9%. Basically I would say it is a pretty solid Double IPA.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Was glad to see this beer available at the Kensington Wine Market, but was not glad to see the price ($20) for the 750 mL ceramic bottle. I jumped for it though.

Poured amber-orange into a Nonic glass. The frothy white head dissipated very quickly while leaving a bit of lace on the surface which also disappeared after a few sips.

Aroma of hops, hops and more hops. Huge florals and pine notes with a tiny hint of sweet malt reminiscent of demerara in the back of the nose. The high abv makes itself known in the aroma as well.

This beer tastes as it smells - huge hops and that alcohol reminding you that it's there. For a double IPA, it does well balancing itself, though the aftertaste is a bit bitter in the back of the throat. There is a fair bit of carbonation allowing the beer to dance on the palate before going down but it just doesn't have enough body to give an excellent mouthfeel.

Quite drinkable and dangerously so. I am looking forward to seeing more Rogue in Calgary or maybe even BC!

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales