XS Imperial India Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 1,252 |  Reviews: 770
3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange. A little on the lighter side of this type of color. The head is relatively full with a coppered cream coloring. Impressive and cascading sheet of lace all around the glass.

S: Strong smell of floral hops, grapefruit, and a slight citrus aroma. The alcohol was present but still nicely shaded by pine and sweetness. Even a bit of bready characteristic that made this more full in the nose.

T: Great IPA taste. Big and hoppy with a taste of yeast that allows everything to balance out very well. There are tastes of spiced herbs and wood soaked caramel. Full and dry but in the end the bitter finish is overcome by the high ABV.

M: The alcohol is present in the mouth. Carbonation is soft. Overall this was not quite thin but still less then medium bodied.

D: Overall this is a quality DIPA. Not sure where it would fall on my list for this type but it would not be in my top 3. I didn't realize the $15.99 price tag until I was at the register. Because of the price and beautiful ceramic bottle I was expecting to be floored. While not floored, I enjoyed it and it snuck up nicely.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

4.21/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours out a nice amber with a light head on it. Clear and appetizing. Smells well hopped, a little minty, with a good bit of malt sweetness coming out to balance it. A pleasant surprise in taste. Not like I expected. It is quite complex with a bitter hop coming out a bit stronger than the malt. But what I think makes it delicious is the fruity esters that come out right when it hits my mouth. Crisp, not a heavy mouthfeel-medium at best with a great bitterness. I like this one a lot, a great bitterness and good complexity.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Awesome, awesome bottle!

A - pours a hazy golden amber with a nice white head which dissipated into a really nice lacing

S - did somebody say DIPA? Massive hop assault. Citrus, orange, grapefruit, and floral hops fill the nose. There's some sweet malt going on as well. Nice

T - initial taste is crazy bitter as you'd imagine, but it's really nice. Orange and grapefruit fill the palate followed by an amazing resiny pine flavor. The bitter explodes in the aftertaste as well. Awesome, simply awesome

M - medium bodied with light carbonation. Quite nice and smooth

D - wow, this has been sitting in my fridge for a bit because I forgot I had it and assumed it was a bottle of Old Crustacean I was gonna drink later. What a surprise! Awesome DIPA from Rogue. Total hop bomb, which I'm a big fan of. Great DIPA, and awesome packaging. Totally resealed my bottle to savor later, which I'm looking forward to. Highly recommended, and would totally buy again, though the price is intense. Still, if you haven't tried this yet do so!

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

First of all I am not even sure I am reviewing the right beer. It is Rogue, but it looks nothing like the picture on BA. This bottle is black ceramic with a clasp-type top and is labeled Imperial India Pale Ale, I2PA is no where to be found. Ingredients are listed on the label: 100% Floor malted maris otter pale malt; saaz; cascade and northwest golding hops; free range coastal water and top fermenting pacman yeast.

This brew pours a brilliant, but hazy amber color while emanating a burly pancake head. Foam subsides to leave a slight lacing.

Smell: Ripe fruit, mild citrus, yeast with a slightly floral nose.

Mouthfeel is slightly grainy and bready. This brew starts off semi-sweet for about 4 nanoseconds before the hops kick in. Malts are coupled well here to keep the bitterness in check. Slightly warming alcohol finish leaves a subtle leafy aftertaste.

In summary this is a damn fine pale, but the price tends to make you weep. Is it worth the cash? It is definitely debateable, but for me I'll stick with an Ayinger 4-pack anyday instead of one bottle of this stuff. No disrespect, but a little too pricy for me. Still a solid offering that is well worth a try. Cheers.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a nice light golden amber color with a huge rocky white head about a inch high. Nice lacing on the glass..

Smell: Strong notes of oily piney hops. A little citrus and a little biscuit and bread aromas from the malts.

Taste: This beer explodes with hops up front. A little piney and little citrus, followed by a nice body of bread, biscuit, and caramel from the malts. This beer finishes with even more hops, some bitter some sweet, giving this beer an overall great hop profile. The end is also a little juicy with some grapefruit flavors as well.

Mouthfeel: What a great full body, nice balance with a nice crisp carbonation. Just feels great on the tongue.

Drinkability: Is this really 10% alcohol. My god this beer is so flavorful I can't believe it has that much alcohol.

2.34/5  rDev -43.2%

Served into a tulip glass, bottled in 2010

A - Pours a bright shade of orangish yellow, very hazy with a thick white head of small bubbles.

S - Bursting with a floral/citrus/pine smell. The citrus can almost be green apple like, maybe some orange peel. Somewhat of an alcoholic nose. Can be a little spicy with some fruity ester.

T - Bready and boozy right up front. Very off centered ipa. Rather unpleasant hop flavors with an alcohol warming throughout the whole taste. Has a bit of bitterness that I perceive to be quite astringent and unpleasant.

M - The beer is light to medium bodied. Carbonation is on the low side.

O - Overall I thought the smell was very complex but the flavor was not very appealing to me. A little on the flat side also. Didn't really enjoy it and was not worth the price.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presented in an awesome ceramic jug with rubber stopper on top. Poured into a tulip glass.

A: Very nice bright golden color. Head was thick after a vigorous pour, but it dissipated quickly. Little lacing, although sticks nicely when twirrled.

S: Citrus, sweet tropical fruits, and a lot of hops. Bit of alcohol as well.

T: Pretty bitter at first, goes down with a smooth carbonation. Floral, a hint of citrus, a lot of bread, especially in the finish. Hops all over.

A bit watery, making it highly drinkable but I would like a thicker body in the mouth.

3.35/5  rDev -18.7%

The XS I2PA Ceramic bottle.

Appearance: First glass was slightly opaque and the 2nd was downright cloudy with hoppy bits floating all around. I like.

Smell: Delicious. West-coast hoppiness with a slight alcohol smell as well.

Taste: Hrm. Very hoppy but almost medicinal in alcohol flavours as well. Not my favourite. The hoppiness is great, but I've had DIPA's with less apparent alcohol flavours(even though this is 9.5%).

Mouthfeel: Burning from the alcohol but overall, not bad.

Drinkability: Too much booze. This would be perfect, hop-wise, if it were a 7% beer. Sacrificing taste and mouthfeel for alcohol content is not a wise thing to do.

Overall: Not terrible, but the alcohol flavours are oppressive and now that I reflect on it, I feel ripped off my $15.00. If you're in Vancouver, get the Phillip's DIPA, or the Lighthouse(for a SIPA). Howe Sound Devil's elbow is great too and all three offer way better value.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A hop nectar, the glory of the high alpha's. A thunderstorm of flavors. Hop heaven and then some.

This beer is not balanced. This features hops, and if you didn't get it the first time, it reminds you on every sip. I like hops and I like this beer but it's a little out of whack with the best hop monsters out there.

This is a very deep reddish/orange color with a cream colored head. The aroma of fresh hops is truely amazing. I grow hops for myself and just breathing in a bag of hops can't top this. The aroma runs from citrus/pine to resiny, earthy hops. It is extremely full bodied with a syrupy malt sweetness to open followed by a waterfall of hops- piney, oily, grapefruit rind and all very fresh tasting. It's a bit too syrupy in the body to truely measure up to my fav's but I'll have this around on a regular basis just for the hop fix.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

75 cl bottle that put me back $15! That is outrageous, but of course I'm a big enough geek to pay it.

Hazed orange in color with a nice white froth. Surprisingly bubbly considering the high alcohol.

Big time hops come right out and give a stinging bitch slap. Conifers, citrus, tropical fruits; slightly sweet and some booze as well.

Medium-full body, oily and resinous. Initially sweet, the beer goes quickly to the hops: citric, piney, herbal, aspirin. You can taste the malt but it's not in the front!

Not worth the price of admission, but I'm a big enough sucker for hops that I'll probably buy it again.

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales