XS Imperial India Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 1,253 |  Reviews: 770
4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

Deep orange/ copper color, looks flat initially but the light head just takes time to develop. Smell of bright hops and citrus fruit hit the nose strongly. The taste is strong, with orange and grapefruit flavors up front, coupled with piney hops. The flavors sort of fades into the finish though and doesn't give you much to hold on to. Alcohol not too strong, moderate bitterness. The mouthfeel is a bit light/thin, with very subtle carbonation. I was able to drink it very easily even at over 9%. Basically I would say it is a pretty solid Double IPA.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Was glad to see this beer available at the Kensington Wine Market, but was not glad to see the price ($20) for the 750 mL ceramic bottle. I jumped for it though.

Poured amber-orange into a Nonic glass. The frothy white head dissipated very quickly while leaving a bit of lace on the surface which also disappeared after a few sips.

Aroma of hops, hops and more hops. Huge florals and pine notes with a tiny hint of sweet malt reminiscent of demerara in the back of the nose. The high abv makes itself known in the aroma as well.

This beer tastes as it smells - huge hops and that alcohol reminding you that it's there. For a double IPA, it does well balancing itself, though the aftertaste is a bit bitter in the back of the throat. There is a fair bit of carbonation allowing the beer to dance on the palate before going down but it just doesn't have enough body to give an excellent mouthfeel.

Quite drinkable and dangerously so. I am looking forward to seeing more Rogue in Calgary or maybe even BC!

4.24/5  rDev +2.9%

this is the second time i've tried this beer but the first time i was too drunk to review it. pours orange, cloudy and sediment filled. smells absolutely fantastic. super-hop odor with sugary sweetness too. kind of like sweetbread. hops are obviously the big thing with this beer and it might even be a bit overkill. very bitter and very sweet at the same time. syrupy mouthfeel. this is not a beer to drink alone. glad its not in a bomber bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - hazy amber yellow color, with a thick rocky white head, no visible carbonation but plenty of sediment

S - very hoppy smell as expected, but there is also a brown sugar sweetness to it

T - wow, damn well balanced, great bitterness and a subtle sweetness to keep the IBU's honest, what a great beer, one of the better Rogue offerings

M - good mouthfeel, smooth, dry finish

D - you have to like your IBU's

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Picked this bad boy up at the Kensington Wine Market, one of the first 3 labels from Rogue to come in. Presented in a matte black ceramic bottle, capped but also comes with a swing-top cap for re-use. At almost $20 a bottle this is more than just a beer, the whole package seems like an investment.

It pours out a chill-hazed apricot hue, capped by a frothy egg-white head that produces a lot of sticky spongy lacing. The aroma is quite refined and pleasantly mellow for a double IPA, very enticing and refreshing notes of juicy red and white grapfruit, pomelo I'd even say, tangerine, a bit soapy with some faint pine. Just a hint of caramel malt sneaks through, but every large inhalation I take gets rewarded by fresh ripe pomelo fruit.

The flavour however wants to wrestle right from the start, this seems like a wolf in sheep's clothing given the quaint soft edges of the nose. Big chewy malt crashes out through the door already in a life or death struggle with the massive hop concentration while the alcohol content referees and incites by adding more fuel to the fire rather than keeping this a clean, fair grudge match. Rind bitterness is the only way I can describe the hop aspect, but a rind bitterness in layers. Soapy aftertaste. Large presence of the alcohol content, a low-lying burn throughout that peaks on the finish. I've only had a half dozen sips and my head is swimming....

Mouthfeel is surprisingly creamy, a little bit of soapiness, but smooth for the most part. Things start to mellow and balance out as this brew reaches room temperature, although I had already allowed it to warm up a fair bit before sampling. Now it's a straight cannonball run of caramel malt holding hands with a cleaned up hop bill which starts out a bit herbal and ends with the Cascade hop signature flavour of citrus and grapefruit rind and pine, yet settles out over the aftertaste with more of an arugula astringency which carries until the curtain call. It's a standing ovation so the aftertaste does linger on a very long time.

Well then, what a trip, that's something I can't see myself imbibing every day, but certainly pulling out for certain occassions and get togethers. Definitely a bottle worth sharing with others, a 750 ml serving is far too much for me for one sitting, good thing I waited until the weekend to sample. Time for me to wrestle my way down with the last 325 ml of it...

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Poured from a 750ml ceramic, stopper bottle. Bottle said 9.5%abv

Appearance- Poured a good two finger head with great retention. Left some good filminess on the side of my glass. Color was a lighly toasted orange eel. Nice lacing for the first 20 minutes of enjoying this brew.

Smell- Smelled like grapefruit zest with hints of chamomile andf lilac seedlings. Mix that with some old fashioned white bread and your good to go.

Taste- Starts out with truckloads of cascade hops and the rest being mamas country biscuits. Very resiny floral and citrus hops. Of course an overall strong hop bitterness flavor but a good balance of toasty malts and hops.

Mouthfeel- A little dry and resiny. Like I was taking a bite of a hop flower. Very good tongue coverage I must say. My palate was realing a good while after finishing my brew.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

Very excited to try off tap at Coles, in Buffalo. Nice presentation, a small cap head which wouldn't last. Typical golden hued yellow. Aroma of hops, a great blend and really nice composure - not overbearing and not face-smacking. A masterfull blend of hops, masterfull. This beer is bold in its subtleties. It drinks (off tap anyways) like it's 6 or 7 %.
Mouthfeel is immacualte, a fantastic experience with each sip. Even more honourable because while many (heck, basically All) in this style continuously try to impress by going over the top and mouth-numbing; This however - and more surprising that it's Rogue, cause they've been known to do that here and there - does not. A ton of malt which *almost* I found overides the hops. Considering this a DIPA, a great deal of malt to compete with these hops. In the back of the mouth the hops become very bitter, and quite harsh, right as you are about to swallow and then crumble, just disintagrate like crumbs. Or think the end of Usual Suspects when Kevin Spacey blows his hand - "...and like that, (they're) gone." Pretty damn good.

4.04/5  rDev -1.9%

Hazy golden color, but with tons of sediment. Noo matter what I do, I've not been about pour one of these without all the sediment. WIth that said, the aroma is quite powerful, with the typical DIPA smells coming through. One could really feel the alcohol in this. Mouthfeel is a bit too bitter as compared to other in the style. Used to be one of my favorite DIPAs.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

This beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a light amber coloration. There is a large amount of sediment in the beer. Ther head was two fingers high. The beer had ok retention of head. There was a nice road mapping of lace on the glass.

Smell: This is the mother load of green floral, piney resin, citrus hop attack! There is a nice sweet citrus undertone to the beer.

Taste: The taste is as it smells. Ther beer has a viscious hop attack. The beer is well supported by a great malt profile. Loads and loads of cookie dough without cloying sweetness. The beer manages a very dry finish.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is a full bodied beer treat. The finish is very dry. The beer is a nice beer drink but hardly sessionable.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

From a 12oz bottle into a pint glass…

A: Cloudy burnt orange body topped with ½” of cream-colored head. Head looks sticky and sweet even from a distance.

S: A wall of hops. Spicy and citric hops. Sweet malt underneath with a hint of alcohol.

T/M: Sweet citrus (ruby red grapefruit) hops. Hops get a bit spicy (a pleasant burnt flavor). Malt is sweet and citrusy as well. Sweet but clean all around. Feels great in the mouth, and washes out nicely.

D: Easy to drink tastewise, but alcohol looms overhead. Would be happy to drink several of this if its priceability was a little more reasonable.

Notes: Been waiting for this brew for a long time. The price tag on the 750mL always scares me off (~$15), so when I found the 12oz for $4 I bought one (should have bought more, but already over my budget). Thank you Rogue for this beer and for helping to pioneer my favorite style.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

A big, sticky head and the huge floral smell from the Cascade hops balanced with the earthier notes of the Saaz make a promise that this is going to be a treat.

There is a hop assault from the first sip that comes to rest on the back of the tongue for a long, bitter finish. 75 IBUs in all. The alcohol and malt reminiscent of a whole wheat cracker compete for attention.

3.79/5  rDev -8%

No date on the bottle.

Poured a very hazy orange color. Head looks great. Half inch, medium to small tan/off white bubbles. Aroma is a bit earthy… vegetal… Taste follows suit with the aroma. Strange. This is not at all what I remember from this beer in years past. Not bad, but not what I was expecting. Nice long bitterness in the aftertaste. Nice English IIPA.

$3.99 for a 12 oz will keep me from enjoying this more often.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

This was a brutal beer. DIPAs are a favorite of mine, I enjoy aggressive hops- but this was just waaay too much. Poured a hazy, grapefruit like color- almost slushy-like- with some white head and a bit of lacing.

Nose was hoppy and citrusy and just a bit bready. Everything was going well, until the first sip... it was sooo hoppy, and bitter, just on the brutal side. I enjoyed it for a while, but it just got to be too much. Mouthfeel was a bit watery, and harsh on the palate. Drinkability... just rough. I didn't hate it, and I did kind of like it, but it's just too harsh.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Picked this up today at Stony Brook Beverage on route 25A, a decent little stop with a mixed selection of American microbrew and import specialty bottles.
I thought the four plus bucks I dropped on this 12 oz. bottle seemed steep, I know this beer is highly rated.
Pours a neon golden with a rocky white ale and cloudy body. The nose has hints of yeast and citrus bit is primarily hops..I can smell the E. Goldings and Cascades (the aggressive ones), the Saaz is a little more subtle. Lacing is particularly good as well.
Woh. This is mad hoppy. Forget everything else, this is just a hop blaster. Obviously bitter as hell but also mostly clean and dry on the finish.
This is a complete beer but the hops can be oppressive unless you really are a hop addict. Body is solid but I'd like to see a little more malt balance. Texture is spot on.
Too much for me hop wise but this still oozes craft brewing and quality. Worth a flyer.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle(room temp) a hazy light gold with lots of carbonation and a huge head of foam that grew in my goblet until it almost overflowed. When it finally does settle down, it leaves a fine layer with some lacing.

The smell is very hoppy, bitter hoppy with some fruity tones, mostly grapefruit, there as well.

The taste is very big on hops up front with strong bitterness but there's a bit of malt in the background that comes through and it tries to tame or at least balance out the hops but it's only partially successful. This one is *still* all about the hops even though the 12ozer(XS series) is probably a couple of years old and then.. there's the 9.20% abv. It is noticeable but doesn't "burn".

Bottom line: This is a good cold weather sipper that's worth buying from time to time.

Edit: 2004 12oz bottle courtesy of rpohagan.

I poured the beer into my NB goblet and it is a cloudy dark gold/red that when I hold up my glass to a light, I cannot see the light at all.
A nice 1" head of foam here with superb lacing.

The smell is...oh so inviting with a still massive hop aroma of pine and citrus grapefruits and a bordering on maybe crossing the line of some tropical fruitiness. There's some nice sweet notes from the malt here as well that figure in just right considering how long this has been cellaring and grows in intensity the more whiffs I take.

The taste is different than what I expected from the smell. The malt brings a buttload of caramel sweetness tempered by *very* light and I do mean *VERY* light bitterness that is just that....bitterness. No signs to me of any real citrus or pine or tropical fruits...just plain old bitterness pure and simple and the balance it creates with the malt is in a word, superb!

Bottom line here is that I had no clue as to what ~7 years would do to this DIPA so what I'm finding is surprising the hell out of me.

For the most part it is medium bodied thinning out some towards the finish and it has ample carbonation.

Drinkability? Time did wonders with that. Fresh, I found it too hot as many others did. This cellared bottle was one of the easiest to drink big abv brews I have ever had. If you have any of these bad boys in your "cellar", give one a go right now.

A: 4.5 S: 4.5 T: 4.5 M: 4.0 D: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

O my gosh.. this is really alcoholic. (mmm... a REAL beer). Even though it was 3 bucks for the bottle, I heard good things about this beer so I couldn't help myself.

Hansome brownish gold color, with modest head. Unfiltered so there was some sediment in there after the pour. After settling.. looked damn good.

My nose wasn't picking up all that much smell at first but as it got warmer, it came through. Nice hoppy smell.

Tastes great. The alcohol content makes itself very evident, and is accompanied by the bitter hops. This brew does not mess around.

Heavy, satisfying mouth feel. Hop aftertaste lingers.. and lingers.

If I didn't have to drive anywhere (and if I would have bought 2...) I would do another one of these. I'm impressed.
-Cheers

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I ordered a 12 oz. glass at Brewer's on the Bay while Kristen and I were there to visit the Newport Aquarium (had a great there as well).

I receieved an awesome pour with a head finger of head that peaked up over the top of the glass and retained throughout the drinking of the beer. Ultra fine lacing was left around the glass in intermitent groups along where each sip began or ended. The beer itself was a slightly hazy, very deep gold. The nose was staight, beautiful hops. Excellent. The flavor was a big bitterness that was balanced with an impressive, and not overly assertive, malt pressence. I downed my glass to fast, and on an empty stomach, had to wait for my beer cheese soup to arrive before ordering another glass. On a perfect day outside l- sunny, and about 50 degrees outside - this forefather of the contemporary double IPA style came as an excellent and perfect treat. They just need to work on the pricing of their ceramic bottles. How about some bombers for less than $6 a bottle? Please.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

The price tag on the ceramic bottle kept me from buying this beer for some time. I am glad I finally broke down and bought one. It was awesome!

A: poured nice golden color with nice head.

S: Hops...lots of hops

T: If you like IPAs you have to try it. It does have some sweetness that goes with the hops. Hops stay with you for a while.

D: I really enjoyed this beer, but the price is a bit high to buy on a regular basis.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

I wonderful experience for a beer lover who loves hops. A somewhat cloudy haze at first pour turns into a rich looking amber. Strong smells of citrus and of course hops. This is really an amazing tasting brew. So assertive with the bitterness, but has a slight sweetness. The hops linger in the mouth for long periods of time. You have to love IPA's to enjoy this beer. It is expensive, but worth it once in a while.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

About as close to looking like gold as a beer can be. Lacing the lasted down the entire side of the glass as I drank. Good head but not overly fluffy and it subsided at a good rate.

Nose was completely flowers. I never had a better that smelled so much like flowers. There was just a hint of hops on top of that.

The taste had the perfect amount of bitter to go with the that flowery nose. It reminded me of how my mouth feels after eating a good olive. It was leafy yet crisp and had good carbonation.

If price were not a factor, I'd definately drink this one again just for that flowery smell.

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%

This brew pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is massive, fluffy and glowing white. The aroma is wonderful:pine risen, grapefruit, plum and a little cirtus. The taste has all the same qualities of the aroma in the sip with the addition of a nice bitterness and alcohol warming in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, rather smooth, but the carbonation might be a tad too much. Overall, this is a very good DIPA. i would certainly drink it again if it weren't so damn spendy.

2.84/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle.
Murkey golden brown with a few flakes suspended and little head. What there is doen't last long. Holy Hop aroma!!! Too overhoped and unpleasantly unbalanced. Lingers as would be expected for a double IPA. Texture is Viscous and chewy. Some spiciness but the bitterness is annoying. I can feel the enamel on my teeth being eaten away. Not enough balance IMO. Lots of hops are fine but they need to ba balanced. Maybe it's because of the 12 oz serving. I hated Old Crusty in 12 oz bottle but loved it in the 750 ceramic. I will give this another chance.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle Pours a hazy gold with a large lasting white head. Fairly good lacing. Aroma is a subtle hoppy with citrus hints. Taste is good with a hidden malty touch. Has a slash of spiciness. Very smooth and well carbonated. Texture is almost gritty with a solid body. This is very good. I would expect nothing less from the fine people at Rogue. This is very good and I would highly recommend it.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Light copper/gold with a little chill haze. Off-white head, only a little retention, but some nice lace.

S: Citrusy, grassy, saazy hops, with a little malt in the background.

T: Citrus & grass, with a little pine and spice. Tons of hop flavour, balanced to the bitter side, but there is some nice pale/bready malt in the background.

M: Moderate body is acidic; carbonation is moderate.

D: The hops are a little over-the-top.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

750 ml ceramic bottle. Rather attractive, but completely unneccesary. You have to wonder how much of that $12 price tag could have been shaved off with more modest packaging.

Semi-hazy orange copper, with generous head and lacings. The aroma is bursting with hops, with sweet Cascade playing off spicy notes (Saaz?). Alcohol shows up in the nose as well. On the palate, the bitterness just builds and builds and sticks around through the finish. Somewhere in there there's a fleeting trace of cinnamon. A very brief hop juiciness reveals itself quickly but goes away just as fast. The alcohol lingers in the background most of the time, then is summoned up in the form of a nice little warmth that settles in the gut.

If you love hops and bitterness, as I do, this beer is right up your alley.

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales