XS Imperial India Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 1,251 |  Reviews: 770
3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Its crystal clear amber with a glorious head that laces very nicley.

S - Over the top pine tree hops, mixed with the fruity side of them if you know what to look for.

T - Surprisingly strong toasted hops. Ususally these types are so one sided, that malts don't come through. But it's nice.

M - Exceedingly bitter. Sharp, and dry. Needs to be a little creamier for this style

D - Not a session beer. But it's able to be drank all night.

Ceramic bottle. Citrus zest and grassy aroma exploded out of the bottle. Very hazy golden color with a nice head.

Wow this is a flavorful brew. Very hoppy with some lemony and grassy notes. Bitterness is pretty up front in this one. I get a light metallic taste near the finish. Green, grassy hops are the calling card for this DIPA. Doesnt have the thick mouthfeel of a Hercules or 90 Minute. This just feels lighter. I prefer a bit more thickness.

Goes down smooth though, and the 9.2% ABV is hidden well. Halfway through the 750, this is starting to hit me. Its so easy to drink I have to make sure Im not slugging it down too fast...Cause its easy to do just that. As it warms it starts to get that thicker feel I was looking for. And the metallic taste has went somewhere else.

This is an excellent double IPA. My usual beer store always has it but I never bought one for some reason (maybe the high sticker price?). The way I see it, Ive paid more than $10 for a bomber via trade (once you figure shipping costs), so I figured I might as well try it. Im glad I did. Ill pick up another one of these badboys in the near future.

Probably the grassiest tasting IPA I've had. But I like it. Its not a carbon copy of any other DIPA out there. And for that, I give credit. The high ABV keeps me from giving it a higher drinkability score - more than a 750ml and youre asking for trouble.

4.74/5  rDev +15%

I could smell the citrusy hops as soon as I popped the cap on this bad boy. I purchased a 12 ounce bottle (which I gather may be old? I think they are only making this in the ceramic bottle these days). Pours a hazy amber with an incredible smell and a thick head that is slow to dissipate. The taste is awesome, tremendous hop taste through and through. Very intense, I'm not sure how much I can drink of this, but I sure do like the bottle I've got. An exceptional beer, worth seeking out.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Purchased from Strong Bros. Liquor Store, Fayetteville, TN. 750 mL ceramic bottle, consumed in one sitting.

This beer pours into my pint glass with a orange-yellow body and a thick white bubbled head. Leaves heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma is composed of hops, hops, hops, with a touch of fruit (perhaps grapefruit) buried underneath. Slight floral notes as beer warms.

Flavor is solid, with crisp, refreshing hops at the front, fresh, pleasant, slightly floral fruit following to wash the beer down. Gives a very balanced (for the style) aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is foamy and thick (washing it around the mouth coats the palate with floral complexity nicely) but not so much as to affect refreshment or drinkability. Very nice.

Overall drinkability good, especially for a beer this hoppy with this much alcohol. I'll be buying these again.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

Came in the ceramic bottle from wild oats. pricey, but i was in the mood for nor'west IPA (living in midwest...)
Poured into an imperial pint glass (starting to get homesick for Barclays in Oakland!). Pour was coppery in color. The end of the bottle release some serious sediment.
Smells of a typical, big, northwest IPA; huge hops, not like when it's on draft, but you know what I'm talkin about.
Taste...This is a monster IPA, chewy mouth feel(I could eat this IPA with a fork). up front the hops are more noticeable and they linger. A little more carbonated than I prefer.
Overall: Overall a very good beer. I LOVE northwest style IPA. Granted, I don't get many chances to enjoy it living in The 'nati, but I have had enough of it to say that if you are in the mood for a hugely hoppy IPA and you don't mind spending an extra couple bucks, grab one...

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%

From one of those big, overpriced, ceramic bottles that look really cool.
This one is rough around the egdes all around.
Not so pretty, not so smooth.
Aggressively hoppy. Alcohol comes across a bit too strong in the flavor. Mouthfeel is prickly and almost chalky.
Ballsy and in your face drinkin.
Not shy.
Not bad.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

I got this beer by accident. The bar had a blackboard and this was one of the specials on tap. I saw Rogue Imperial, and apparently my mind substituted stout for IPA. So I was expecting a stout but got an IPA.

Nonetheless, not wanting to send back a $6 pint of beer, I decided to drink it anyway. I'm not much of an IPA fan, but I will try and review it for the style, keeping in mind that I wouldn't typically order one of these.

It came in a pint glass. Pumpkin, coppery colored with not a lot of head, but the lacing remained throughout the glass.

Could smell the hops, grapefruity and flowery, but not overpowering like some IPAs.

Bitter, Bitter Bitter sums up the taste. Like drinking a glass of grapefruit juice. But for the style, I think it was appropriate.

The high ABV was well hidden, and it left the palate cleansed after swallowing. The hoppiness lingered for a while, but then left a clean feeling. I had this with a bowl of spicy chili, and it actually paired well, the hops cutting through the spiciness.

I felt the ABV about a third of the way throught the glass, and it would be hard to drink a lot of these. But it was obviously a quality brewed beer, just not my style.

4.65/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a bright copper with a slight haze. Vigerous pour results in a thick foamy white head. Awesome lacing.

Big hop aroma of cascades, citrus and pine, sweet malt aroma.

Really very good, like syrup in texture on the palate. Malt sweetness with a complex hop finish. Kind of a metallic twang to it. Cirtusy and a little piney and an alcohol burn lingers on palate. I really enjoyed this one, balanced perfectly. The ABV has a nice warming effect. Delicious.

Cheer!

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a medium amber out of the growler - not a large head, but that is typical of growlers.
Smell is strong of citrus and hops, hints of pine present....absolutely beautiful.
The bitterness smacks you in the face but it is overcome by the excellent malt and citrus flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium and the alcohol presence is low considering the ABV.
Overall an excellent brew - especially on a cold winter's New Year's Eve. Exceptionally delicious.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

I bought this and couldn't wait to get home.Mine came in the fancy ceramic bottle,it's a nice look.This pours a orange amber color with a gigantic creamy foamy head.The smell is a very strong citrus and cascade hop smell.The scent is almost exactly like grapefruit.The taste is a citrus blast ending with a very bitter hop aftertaste.This is very good,but be warned it's VERY BITTER.The mouthfeel is light and crisp,but there's a big difference from the intial sip to the aftertaste.It's not as smooth as I would like.This is a real treat,and tough to find,but worth the wait.Not a perfect beer,but a beer that's worth savoring.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a large beige head over a a deep red liquid.
Pine, but mostly hops. Some orange and heavy sugar sweetness with bursts of citrus.
Gigantic grapefruit initially hits then the pine, man it's a ton of pine. Close to a hop overload if you will but I think it finished nicely.
Thick mouthfeel, slick oily residue along the glass equals what was in your mouth.
I'll have this again.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

~12 oz brown bottle, no date. Pours a dark orangish amber color, perhaps apricot, with a small, large bubbled head, didn't retain so well. Lacing is ok.
~I took a sniff, and said 'oh boy.' As with most Rogues, this isn't shy. A very hoppy citric whif at first, I smell orange peel, ripened fruits, the alcohol is apparent but not overbearing, maybe a hint of pine.
~I took a first sip, and what I noticed is the beautiful apricot aftertaste. Never had anything quite like like it. The flavor is present throughout, almost too powerful and distracting from what else is going on. Its more of a rind taste than the fruit proper. It comes on with a warm and fruity front, and gets a big hop kick in the middle, also a bit spicy, lightening up a bit, or evening out with a return of the malts and fruits. Ends with an alcoholic bite that warms as it fades. And as it fades, I keep thinking to myself, "this beer feels good."
~This is really just a great beer, very complex. I feel like I'd have to have a few or more of these to really get at the multiple layers and hints that this beer presents. If it weren't so high alcohol, I could really sit down and enjoy a few of these.

3.46/5  rDev -16%

12 oz bottle with no date markings. Pours a large-bubbled three finger light tan head over a a slightly particulated sharp apricot liquid. Smelled piney and soapy during the pour. To the nose it's mostly hops. Oranges and some pith. A bit of pine cleaning solution. A heavy sugar sweetness with fruity esters, the flavor of which blend right into the orange of the hops. Simple, yet drawing.

Taste...the draw is a smooth thick pull that's flavorless until the fluid hits the tongue. I was expecting a blast when I touched it to my lips. Hop bitter that's drying by itself and becomes desert twigs when the flat lupulin mixes in. The thickness of the liquid says their must be sugar here, but it's too much for me to avoid thinking about the dry flat hops. It feels like my face is drawn in a grimace and I'm guessing I won't finish this beer. Hop flavor is present when I force my mind away from lupulin. Oranges mostly with some grapefruit. The hop flavor persists as a sweet tartness on the back of the tongue during the aftertaste. Some fruity esters late have been dipped in a light-colored caramel. Apricot, pomegranate, and others that get lost beneath the hops too quickly for me to identify. Smooth creamy thick mouthfeel that would be wonderful to slosh around in the mouth, if the beer didn't taste so damn awful. Modest carbonation.

I tried this beer once while my palette was still young and hated it. I found the hop lupulin to be foul. Now, nearly two years later, I'd say that this beer is challenging, but not enjoyable. I'll have a look at the style guidelines and review it to style, not my personal preferences. NOTE: Not as malty as the style guidelines indicate it should be, but it's got the hops. One thing missing in my review is 'alcohol sting'. There is a touch of that, now that I'm saerching for it, but it's buried quite well under the rest of the flavors.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy and apricot in color with debris floating throughout. The head poured finger high and settled down rather quickly, but a nice thick white creamy covering remained and provided excellent lacing. Smell had a strong grassy hop aroma with undertones of yeast. Taste was strong with hop flavor, spices and a slight grapefruit flavor. The hop taste was about twice as strong as the smell led on. Mouthfeel was creamy, chewy and had plenty of carbonation. Drinkability was very good considering the alcohol content was hardly even recognizable.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

Beer #6 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Rogue I2PA pours a light copper color into my glass. Atop the moderately opaque liquid sits a 1/2", light tan head that quickly collapses down into a soapy head. Low carbonation and little lacing. The aroma is a mix of citrus and fruity hops and an alcohol-infused malty sweetness.

Initially, the taste of this beer is moderately hoppy, with citrus and fruit flavors. After a little bit, the sweet malt and alcohol shines though, providing a bold balance to a bold initial flavor. The mouthfeel is slightly dry, full, and acidic; finishes dry, crisp, and with a sour/dry/alcohol aftertaste.

Overall, this beer is surprisingly smooth and toned-down for a beer of its style and ABV; I didn't know what to expect when I opened this beer, but the particular combination this beer brings to the table wasn't quite what I had in mind. In any case, it's tasty enough, and worth checking out.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

Fades from red, to orange to gold in my glass. It’s slightly cloudy with a creamy white head that leaves great lacing. Smells of apples and pineapple with a Cheerio like malt and a slight pepper aroma. Awesome flavor! Tastes of sweet cherries and oranges with an extremely well blended dryness. Finishes like grapefruit. Mouth feel is thick and creamy with slight carbonation. This is an intense full flavored beer that is a pleasure to drink.

01-11-06
I opened what I guess to be the first edition of the 2IPA in the ceramic bottle, so I assume its well over a year old. Upon aging, the beer took on a very cloudy, hefeweitzen-like cloudiness. Also, the hop dryness toned down quite a bit and blended into the honey and oat malt with what I can only describe as a grassy moss flavor. Not as visually appealing this time around, phenomenally more complex in flavor, but perhaps not as tasty overall.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

11/26/05- Purchased at Beverages and More in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, no freshness info, poured into my Duvel tulip. I know it's at least 1.5 to 2 years cellared.

Appearance- Beautiful semi cloudy golden pour. Neon white inch + head with chunks of lace clinging everywhere. This is what a DIPA should look like. Looked almost like a good Belgian Strong Pale or a good Saison.

Smell- Heavy grapefruit and pine hops infiltrate your nostrils. Can tell this one is going to be a bitter beast.

Taste- Huge grapefruit hits first and then the pine tree swats you upside the other side of your head. Almost too much of a hop overload. Starts to taste a tad metallic. This beer literally numbs your tongue. I wonder if the hops would even be more intensive if I tried a fresh bottle? I'll have to put that on my X-mas list.

Mouthfeel- Numb tongue, very bitter aftertaste with average to higher carbonation.

Drinkability- I'd love to try a fresh one to see what the difference would be. Hopheads should jump on this one. I still have one more to terrorize my taste buds with though.

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange amber color with a thick and bubbly white head that coats the sides of the glass with sheets of sticky lace. Nose is floral citrusy hops and fresh pine along with some sweet malt in the background. Taste is ripe fruity hops with notes of fresh juicy grapefruit and an herbal piney flavor perfectly supported by a strong malt backbone. A tremendous IPA—simply delicious.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

Orange-tan body. Very small head even with the aggressive pour. Tiny yeast particles floating all over the place.
Big pungent floral and citrus juicy hops in the aroma and taste. A lot of sweetness too. More than I imagined. An icy-hot sort of feeling going down with a slick mouthfeel.
This is a strong, punchy, and satisfying DIPA. Just what you'd expect from Rogue

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

12-ounce bottle poured into a Brooklyn snitfer glass.

A - Pours out a bit hazy, the color or grapefruit. HAs a tower of a bubbly white head that doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

S - I'm hit with a lot of citrus initially. There's a bit of spice on the nose that hits you on the finish. A slight alcohol tinge. Overall an inviting aroma that leads me to believe this is a refreshing brew.

T - A great citric hop flavor on the initial slip that slides into a nice bitterness. I don;t know if I've ever seen two distinct hop characteristics attack at once and then balance out so nice. In the end a tiny hint of malty sweetness, a touch of a smoky flavor, and some nice alcohol warming becomes present. Very nice.

M - Feels nice. The carbonation bouncing around is very fitting along with all the flavors going on.

D - I didn't know what to rate this numbers-wise for drinkability. It keeps me coming back for more like crazy, so very drinkable to me. In fact, I considered a 5 for a bit. However I had to chip one half point as this is an "aggressive brew" one that I could see some people, fans of the style even, not being crazy about. However, the sheer multitude of flavors and nice bitter finish make me jump on this one like crazy.

Notes: What a beer, this is definitely a treat for hopheads and those who can handle a lot of flavor in general.

3.36/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz Bottle with no date and could be old due to the sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Hazy amber with nice fluffy white head that falls after a couple of minutes. The smell is malt and hops, but not very aromatic. I am not getting much pine or citrus that I would normally expect in this style. The taste is well balanced, nice malts and bitterness. Just like the smell, I don't taste much floral hop flavor in the bitterness. In a good way. I am starting to think this bottle maybe a little old due to the mellow-ness of the beer. I do detect a slight alcohol warming as well. Mouthfeel is medium to thick side. I could drink maybe two of these, but this is not my favorite DIPA. It seems a little closer to an IPA. I will have to find a fresher bottle and revisit this beer to make sure that I am not drinking a "cellared" beer.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

I got this as a single from Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. No date on the bottle, but with this beer, it won't matter too much.

Pours a cloudy light amber with a big white head of sticky foam. The head falls to a coating and a ring, with good lacing. There are little floaters in there from being bottle conditioned.

Aroma is an interesting blend of citrusy lemons, pine oil, and black pepper mixed up with biscuity, clean pale malt. Also maybe fruits like mangos and raisins. Smells great.

Flavor is big; very bitter at first, then huge hop flavors of citrus and pine needles, a big, bready malt backbone, some residual sugar, but not too much, and definite heat from alcohol. The alcohol comes through as very solvent-like, detracting a little from the overall enjoyment of the beer. Aftertaste is bitter and hot.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, with a medium level of carbonation. Lips are slightly sticky from residual sugar, although the beer isn't too sweet. Finish is bitter and hot.

This is a pretty quaffable brew. Aroma is nice, mouthfeel is good, and except for the hotness from alcohol, the flavor is good, too. Great burps! As DIPA's go, this one is right there. Recommended.

3.96/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance - This beer arrived in a tall, branded pilsner style glass and was yellow-orange with a offwhite, two finger head exhibiting good retention and heavy lacing. The head was positively above the top of the glass and still held together without dripping over the side. Impressive carbonation showed off the whole time.

Smell - Spicy, dry-hopped, flora smells abound.

Taste - This beer tastes outstandingly hoppy with pine and hop oil tastes throughout. There are herbal and honey hints that appear before a long, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is chewy, coarse, nicely-carbonated, and rich.

Drinkability - With the nearly 10% alcohol, it’s a bit tough to put too many of these away. Very enjoyable, if not super drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -11.9%

The beer pours a hazy mild orange. Not sure if it is my pour but I get a fairly large head that dissipates quickly to a sheet of oily goodness. Its smell is very piney and bitter, with the alcohol spice clearly coming through. I don’t smell much in the way of citrusy hops or any malt balancing. This hop-bomb is clearly stating its intentions.

The smell does not lie as the hops blast my tongue from start to finish. Any malt hidden in here cannot fight through to provide balance, leaving this a one-way street that is a less complex than I was hoping for. The alcohol makes a powerful stand in the finish – I know I am drinking a sipper here, almost barleywine-ish. Lightly carbonated with a nice chewy mouthfeel and the astringent alcohol cleans the palate in the finish so that I am ready for the next sip.

The drinkability is solid for its style, but hardly a beer to session with. Definitely gave me a hop fix but not in the top of its class. I am sure I will stumble into it again but it did not crack into my must-have’s list.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Orange amber with a touch of cloudiness. Two finger long-lasting beige head. The lace is spotty but sticky.

Clean floral hop aromas. Fresh! Reminds me of the smells in a brew shop.

Hoppity do da. Nice dry aftertaste with a strong lingering hop bitter bite. The malt is creamy and "round". Light cream like richness, with a low level of carbonation. Goes down real smooth...I cannot detect any high alcohol levels (despite the 9.2% abv)...could be dangerous.

Excellent IPA. While I question the price ($15.95 for 750ml) value relationship, this is still a superior IPA. I will likely buy another bottle, so the price can't be that high. ;-)

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales