Brutal Bitter Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American IPA

**NOTE: This beer is now called "Brutal IPA" **
It has also been bottled as "Portland State IPA" (2010).

An Imperial bitter with exotic traditional floor malts, citrusy, hoppy flavor and stupendous hop aroma. Rogue brewmaster John Maier describes his Brutal IPA as a cross between a Very Extra Special Bitter and an Indian Pale Ale. Hedonistic!

8 INGREDIENTS: 2-Row, Carawheat, C15 & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Alluvial™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

22oz Bottle & Draft / 15° Plato / 46 IBU / 81 AA / 13° Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Ratings: 2,144 |  Reviews: 1,109

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Haven Gastropub in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a hazy honey orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and honey. Taste is much the same with a malt finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink but it’s definitely not brutal in any sense.

3.67/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance is kind of a little cloudy/goldy/amber.

Smell is very nice, hoppy, citrus zest.

Taste is a little hoppy, not very bitter at all, very light.. Taste is on the small side, I like a little more, I guess that all i can say is that I was hoping for a little more in the flavor department. but don't get me wrong, what flavor is there is good, I just want more of a punch when it come to IPA's I guess that why I like Doubles.

Mouthfeel is nice, very smooth, easy to drink

Overall, decent, I would recommend for a newbe

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.01/5  rDev 0%

I got a 22 oz. bottle marked Brutal IPA. I didn't know it was the same thing as the Brutal Pale Ale, or I probably wouldn't have bought it. Anyway, I did, and here's what I think:

A: It pours a really orange-y copper. Nice color. Very little head.

S: There's an IPA hoppy smell, but it's far from (pleasantly) pungent. The smell is kind of on the subdued side of what I wanted from an Oregon IPA.

T: The taste starts off on a great note. There are lots of hops. It's pleasantly citrusy. The bitterness is decent. Then, it kind of turns to this soda-water bland fizzyness in the back of my mouth as it goes down. Honestly, I think this kind of kills this beer as an IPA.

M: It's full-on at first. Then, the bitterness stays on the tip of my tongue and there's that soda-fizz around the back of my mouth.

O: I think Rogue should have kept this as a "Brutal Pale Ale." By calling it an IPA, I have expectations that aren't met. I expect a lot from Rogue. If this taste got clearer and that soda-water flavor went away, this would be a decent IPA that would sit with other major west coast brewery's IPAs. I rated it as a 4.0 overall as a beer instead of as an IPA. If I was rating this as an IPA, I would have rated it much lower -- maybe a 2.5.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.85/5  rDev -4%

Appearance – Pours a hazy golden orange color with a light head and minimal lacing.

Smell – Piney hops, with a very light touch of citrus and sweet apricot.

Taste – Light hops (definitely not “brutal”), malt, and a small hint of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel – Good carbonation; goes down easy.

Drinkability – An easy drinking IPA. Not at all “brutal bitter”.

3.84/5  rDev -4.2%

Brutal's colour is very nice, a dark amber-orange with an off-white head. Not very good retention however, and the lacing is just barely there. I can't say that the smell is all that impressive. It just barely registers a light hoppiness and nothing else. The taste is completely the opposite, with earthy bitter tones dominating the hop spectrum, and an interesting bready malt up-front. Medium-bodied, well-carbonated, and a dry finish. Not too shabby!

Brutal Bitter Ale from Rogue Ales