Brutal Bitter Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American IPA

**NOTE: This beer is now called "Brutal IPA" **
It has also been bottled as "Portland State IPA" (2010).

An Imperial bitter with exotic traditional floor malts, citrusy, hoppy flavor and stupendous hop aroma. Rogue brewmaster John Maier describes his Brutal IPA as a cross between a Very Extra Special Bitter and an Indian Pale Ale. Hedonistic!

8 INGREDIENTS: 2-Row, Carawheat, C15 & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Alluvial™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

22oz Bottle & Draft / 15° Plato / 46 IBU / 81 AA / 13° Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001

Liked:
3.98/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,154 |  Reviews: 1,110
4.17/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Great burnt orangish color. A little hazy and small amount of head. It's a pretty IPA.

S: Huge grapefruit. A lot of tangerine on the back end. Resinous effect and nary a whiff of malt. It almost smells sticky.

T: Whoa, what a nice balance in this beer. That brutal label is a little misleading. It drinks so well you don't notice the huge IBUs in this brew. Doesn't pucker the lips. The only drawback is the after taste which for me is a bit too sweet for an IPA.

M: One of the chewier IPAs I've had, even without the malt character. A little syrupy for me.

O: It drinks amazingly well. For folks looking for a hop bomb, it's not here. If you want an IPA that you can come back to and maybe have more than one - this is it. Fantastic offering.

4.09/5  rDev +2.8%

Weathered copper orange in color with and murky. Poured with a thick, dense foam that quickly reduced to a wispy cap. Pungent, ripe, citrus hop aromas, orange, pineapple, and apricot, with sweet bready and caramel malt beneath. Creamy smooth feel in the middle on the tongue, and a tangy, puckering bitterness on the edges of the mouth. Flavors are a bit more balanced than aromas, but are still hop forward. Pungent ripe citrus hop flavors up front with pine hop flavors beneath. A solid sweet caramel and bready malt flavor props up the bitter hop character. Finishes semi-dry with a sour bread and bitter pine hop aftertaste.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed straight from the bottle, my first impression was the drinkability and lack of bitterness most IPA's have! Certainly not what I expected with "Brutal" in the name! Now I'm a big, HUGE fan of Rogue's Dead Guy and Double Dead Guy Ale's, but unfortunately this entry is not at that level! While this IPA could easily be enjoyed on any given Sunday, it is simply an o.k. or average entry into the already crowded IPA scene. The taste was average, not really dry like some IPA’s. This is the kind of beverage that could be used as “spacer” between higher ABV choices and do well extended one’s evening.
UPDATE: I don't know if they changed anything else when they updated the name & labels or if I just lucked into a real fresh one because I am really enjoying this one!

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

On tap at Haven Gastropub in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a hazy honey orange with a foamy khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit, citrus zest, and honey. Taste is much the same with a malt finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink but it’s definitely not brutal in any sense.

3.67/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance is kind of a little cloudy/goldy/amber.

Smell is very nice, hoppy, citrus zest.

Taste is a little hoppy, not very bitter at all, very light.. Taste is on the small side, I like a little more, I guess that all i can say is that I was hoping for a little more in the flavor department. but don't get me wrong, what flavor is there is good, I just want more of a punch when it come to IPA's I guess that why I like Doubles.

Mouthfeel is nice, very smooth, easy to drink

Overall, decent, I would recommend for a newbe

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

4.01/5  rDev +0.8%

I got a 22 oz. bottle marked Brutal IPA. I didn't know it was the same thing as the Brutal Pale Ale, or I probably wouldn't have bought it. Anyway, I did, and here's what I think:

A: It pours a really orange-y copper. Nice color. Very little head.

S: There's an IPA hoppy smell, but it's far from (pleasantly) pungent. The smell is kind of on the subdued side of what I wanted from an Oregon IPA.

T: The taste starts off on a great note. There are lots of hops. It's pleasantly citrusy. The bitterness is decent. Then, it kind of turns to this soda-water bland fizzyness in the back of my mouth as it goes down. Honestly, I think this kind of kills this beer as an IPA.

M: It's full-on at first. Then, the bitterness stays on the tip of my tongue and there's that soda-fizz around the back of my mouth.

O: I think Rogue should have kept this as a "Brutal Pale Ale." By calling it an IPA, I have expectations that aren't met. I expect a lot from Rogue. If this taste got clearer and that soda-water flavor went away, this would be a decent IPA that would sit with other major west coast brewery's IPAs. I rated it as a 4.0 overall as a beer instead of as an IPA. If I was rating this as an IPA, I would have rated it much lower -- maybe a 2.5.

Brutal Bitter Ale from Rogue Ales