Half-E-Weizen | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Witbier

Also know as 'Mom Hefeweizen'

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Harrington, Klages and Wheat.
Hops: Saaz.
Specialty: Coriander and Ginger.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by MrNuggets on 09-25-2001

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

650 ML Bottle copped from Wine and Beverage Depot in Totowa... first time I saw this Rogue sample... pours a slightly cloudy and hazy appearance with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was tinged with coriander, wheat, and lemon... taste was dominated by pepper, citrus, and florals... strong pepper flavor and a noticeable wheat and coriander essence make this a good Witbier... a decent selection from Rogue, with a good mouthfeel and very easy drinkability, especially due to the rather modest 4.8% ABV... a tasty version of the style, better than most American depictions with the typical Rogue quality... Recommended as a good representation of the sample...

2.63/5  rDev -26.1%

A - Towering three finger head on top of a more or less clear golden body. The foam settles pretty quickly, but leaves nice lace.

S - Spicy wheat aroma with herbal hop notes.

T - Sour, spicy wheat flavor with grassy, herbal hops. Dry chalky finish with some soapy notes.

M - Medium to heavy body, moderate carbonation and a dry finish.

D - Nothing about this beer makes it difficult to drink, but it isn't exactly the kind of beer that inspires me to keep sipping either. This isn't really half-a-weizen, it is more like not-a-weizen. It doesn't seem like a wit beer either, it really lacks any redeeming character at all; which, in my opinion, makes it a stylistically spot-on American style wheat beer.

3.49/5  rDev -2%

Slight head on it when poured and it went away quickly. Pours a kind of cloudy gold color. The initial smell and taste was of lemons and honey. I found this to be a decent casual drinking beer. It's better than the mega breweries for sure, but nothing special. There are better weizens out there.

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Drank half a bomber that I bought from the Portland brewpub. Witbiers and hefeweizens are a hard sell for me usually, and to be honest, this one doesn't help. Pours a clear straw yellow, with a billowy white head that condenses into a thin rim of white lace. Lots of carbonation. I stuck my nose into this and smelled... carrots? There are some of the standard witbier spices: orange peel, coriander, etc., but they're dominated by carrots. Same with the taste: some spices, bit of wheat, but mostly this taste of carrots. Light- to medium-bodied mouthfeel. Overall, it's drinkable, but I'm just not liking the aroma and flavors. Too one-sided. Perhaps this one went bad traveling home from Portland?

4.08/5  rDev +14.6%

Hoegaarden glass.

I agitated this beer quite a bit that I had to pry off the cap different imes to let out the co2.Completely no yeast on the bottem of the bottle and thats what I wanted.Total blizzardness.Comes out a very murky yellow,dusty body that seems darker in the center of the glass.Small white head that falls faster then most BMC heads.No lacing on the first glass.The 2nd pour left a nice one finger white head and that fell to a patch.

Lots-O-ginger,very clean smell(hops)It is a bit ginger heavy and that may be the only downfall.

Ginger,hops,and spiciness,some coriander and lemon,Yeast,wheats and small amounts of malt.This may be the only Rogue beer that I have had that didnt have that Pac Man yeast taste.Sometimes thats good.Small bitterness at the end of the taste.

CO2 is a bit too harsh.Mouthful is very pleasent and its a very easy drinker.Great for a summer beer but great for me anytime of the year.

I like this beer quite a bit and will have again.I like this take on the german hefe,its been Rogueinized and they did a hell of a job with it.Cheers John Maier.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Purchased a case of 12 recently for cheap at the Brewpub in the pearl. Served into a pint glass with a lime slice squeezed over it. I recall liking it being served this way from the last time I had it on tap at the brewpub. First impressions were a very euro-esque artisan beer smell, somewhat like old cheese. I mean this in a good way. The taste was that of somewhat bitter citrus with more of this old cheese euro-pils type flavor. Very light mouthfeel, can easily down a few bombers in a sitting, especially at the relatively low ABV. The second glass from my 22oz was without lime and was more pleasant. Whether this was due to the lack of lime, the unfiltered yeast on the bottom of the bottle or the fact that I had loosened up over the first 12 oz, I wont know until next time. However second half of the bottle was lacking much of the bitterness of the first. Not a great beer, but many Hefes are fairly one-sided to begin with. Summer wheat beers that are light and good with pizza. For the genre, Rogue's brew may be one of the better ones. However, I will most likely be giving many of my 22oz bottles away.

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

I missed the missive on agitating before the pour; initially it was straw yellow and clear, but the suspended yeasties have added some haze. Highlights of orange; lacing is big, hangs suspended for a good while.

Aromas of spices and some malt sweetness, with just a touch of peppery hop. Reminds me a bit of a Belgian wit; spicy and unique, with some coriander notes for sure.

Tastes like a thicker, highly carbonated ginger ale, also plenty of coriander flavor. The continental hops add a prick of flavor as well, along with some sweet, crisp grain. Body is medium to slightly thin.

Very unique, not a personal favorite but interesting enough.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

(Served in an weizen glass)

A- This beer has a light hazy golden body which gets hazier with each glass. There is a big carbonation of big bubbles and an off-white head that is spongy and last a good bit.

S- The soft smell of white bread and fresh pale malt finishes with a nice soft green bitterness. There are some very subtle bubble-gum hints and some dry spice that enhances the hop hints.

T- This beer has a nice flavor of light pale malt with some biscuit notes followed by a soft pine bitter hint in the finish. There is a nice dry spice note that increases and compliments the hops.

M- This beer has a full mouthfeel with a zingy fizz finish.

D-I wouldn’t typically buy a beer with an old woman in a tracksuit on the front but I was very surprised. The flavor is light but has some nice subtle depth. The fresh malt flavors really balance the soft green bitterness. I don’t find many wheat beers that I would consider session beers but this is definitely one of them.

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

A- This is darker then most Hefes. Body is a translucent-almost opaque golden yellow. Pours with a decent foamy white head that quickly disappears. Cloudiness is thick and yeast moves about in the glass. Great unfiltered wheat look.

S- Hoppy zest with citrus and added coriander. Smell is light.

T- Hoppiness up front with citrus and banana. Solid yeast back bone. Coriander and ginger emerge for the finish and the yeast presence grows stronger. Slightly sweet yeast and ginger linger.

M- Great smooth body. Medium carbonation and a much heavier mouthfeel than most wheat beers. The yeasty presence makes this one smooth and creamy.

D- This one is decent and I will probably have it again. Not my favorite wheat beer but pretty well done. I wish others could match the superb mouthfeel of this one.

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Had this one from a 22 oz. bomber. Beer poured a cloudy golden color. Very big foamy white head. Aroma was a bit pungent. Mouthfeel was good and beer was very smooth. Flavor wasn’t quite what I expected. The Saaz hops were evident, but the taste wasnt as citrusy as I expected. Not bad but I’ve had better wheats.

4.24/5  rDev +19.1%

Just picked up this bomber fresh from the brewery. As I sit on my hotel room patio watching the sun set on the Pacific ocean while enjoying this beer, I can’t help but wonder how I am not going to give this a perfect five. This could be a Budweiser and right now in this perfect setting, I’d give it a 5 ;-) Drank from my brand new Black Butte Porter glass that I purchased last night from Deschutes brewpub.

Appearance- Pours a cloudy gold-yellow with a soft bubbly one finger head. Light carbonation fizzles about quite violently. The head quickly dissipates to leave no collar, no head, and absolutely zero lacing. It actually looks really really flat about 30 seconds after the pour.
Smell- Very citrus and sharp. Ginger and coriander add a nice touch of spice that gives it that familiar witbier smell. A nice light wheat malt hangs in the nose gradually getting a bit stronger as it warms.
Taste- First thing that hits the palate is the ginger. It’s not necessarily overpowering, it’s just the first thing that pops out. Like ginger soda without the overpowering sting. Nice wheat doughyness that subtly sweet and balanced nicely by a light hop. No traces of coriander or Hef yeast.
Mouthfeel- Very light, very crisp. Lots of tiny tiny carbonation that doesn’t appear to be in the glass after is sits a few seconds but is definitely there.
Drinkability- Fantastic. It’s light and very smooth. Lot’s of big ginger spicyness (not too much IMO) that I really enjoy with the body of the beer. Great beer that I wish I didn’t have to drive 550 miles for.

2.6/5  rDev -27%

Clear, which is strange for a hefeweizen. No cloud at all. Good had, though.

Smells of wheat, lemon, honey, and malt.

Tastes very sweet and lemony, little bit of sour wheat taste at the end, but the yeast flavor is non-existent.

The mouthfeel is thin and fizzy. Not rally to style.

Highly unoffensive and drinkable, though I'd probably pull a different wheat.

poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a nice golden straw color with a nice fluffy white head that retains itself quite well.

S- has a slightly sweet malty smell with a bit of ginger to it.

T- tastes almost like it smells, very balanced with a nice bitterness.

M- medium bodied with decent carbonation and goes down silky smooth.

D- this is a very refreshing beer, i could drink these all night long.

3.21/5  rDev -9.8%

A - pours a nice deep golden color. it is an attractive beer. Poured a solid 1/4" head.

S: I really can smell the hops on this one - I would assume the Saaz. Not unappealing.

T: It was fairly bitter for the style - and maybe a little too strong of a taste. But, I assume that its Rogue's variation. I could detect a light hint of spices, coriander.

M: Smooth beer - not over carbonated. Good quality. Light amount of sedimentation from the yeast will hit you sooner or later.

D: I could drink more of this beer. I thought it went down very smooth on a nice summer day.

Overall I had steered clear from Rogue due to my general ambivalence to Rogue. But, with this attempt, I'll try them some more.

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

A light, almost straw colored weizen that pours with a lot of carbonation creating a bright, white head on top of the beer. The aroma is touch spicy with a bit of straw or hay; not too exciting. Half-E-Weizen tastes crisp with toasted malt flavors and a lightly bitter, mineral-like finish. This beer tastes more like a cross between a wheat beer and pilsner, then a hefe-weizen. (There's lots of trub down at the bottom of the bottle, but none if my glass.) I rouse the yeast and pour again and I get very cloudy beer with a head of loose white bubbles. (I can still taste the bitter finish of the last few sips of this beer as I watch th head fall.)
Poured with the yeast in suspension, this beer changes and has a more herbal bouquet; more yeasty esters. The addition of the yeast seems to soften the beer, leaving it less crisp and less clean. I think the bitterness is somewhat more muted, too. The mouthfeel is smooth, but perhaps a touch smoother with the yeast added. Incidentally, I didn't really notice the ginger (an ingredient that is labeled on the bottle) until I looked at the ingredients.
Overall, a a crisp, tasty wheat for summertime, and one that inspires me to homebrew an example of my own.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

A: Pale-ish apricot orange in color with a thin white head in an island and ring formation, almost soapy. Good lacing.
S: Aromatic scents of generic baked citrus rind, coriander, orange-ginger, and some slight hops here and there. Has a "thick" nose. Orange and slight apricot near the mid-end.
T: Nice flavor profile with orange, slight apricot and generic citrus rind at first with coriander, spice, and ginger quick to follow. Those flavors meld at the middle and are met with some nice hop flavors - crisp and slightly bitter. Ends with some creamy baked citrus flavors as well as some slight earthiness.
MF: Medium and "creamy"
Overall: An elusive brew that has finally made it's way to PA! I've been lookling for this one. Lately, it's been hit or miss for me with Rogue, but this one is a definate hit. Not the strongest american hefe out there, but a solid interpretation. Blurs the lines of a hefe and an american wheat, but the flavors move to the former more often.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Since I've noticed my palate changing since I quit smoking, I thought I would take another
look at Rogue's Half-E-Weizen, their own take on the weizen style. I think I was a little unfair
the last time I had it.

My bomber poured out a big rocky head that collapsed to about a finger's width over a cloudy
golden brew. Carbonation is moderate, and the nose is malt, citrus, and Rogue Pac-Man yeast.
The flavor is malty up front, with a citrus hop finish- weighted more toward hop than citrus. Mouth
feel is thin but crisp, with more of an herbal tang due to the hop presence. Hops are not usually
part of this style, but of course, those European purity laws aren't in effect here- here it's just an
interesting style variation. Also interesting is the fact that the bottle states that the brew comes in at
30 IBU, which gives it a bigger hop presence than a lot of regular macro lagers. As it warmed I noticed
a definite clove presence as well, and a lot of the other flavors came a little foreward too. Interesting
variation on the style. Tasty.

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Ah! The elusive Rogue Half-E-Weizen. I'd been looking for this somewhat rare Rogue offering for quite some time just to see what Pacman could do to wheat. Imagine my delight when I saw grandma staring back at me from the fridge at the Mesquito Grille in Doylestown, PA. I just had to bring her home with me... errr, yeah.

APPEARANCE: Poured a straw gold that was crystal clear until I gave the botttle a swirl and poured in the yeast sediment. Not too much of a head to speak of, unfortunately. Just a thin collar and a few splotchy patches.

SMELL: Holy spice! The ginger and coriander immediately jump out at me. Notions of wheat and yeast are slightly evident, but the spices absolutely dominate.

TASTE: The initial taste is surprisingly of hops. My tastebuds are greeted with a citrusy bitterness that gives way to sweetness of ginger, banana, and spice. You can definitely tell that this beer was made with Pacman. The hop bitterness lingers to the aftertaste and somewhat cancels out the refreshing aspects of this beer. The ginger is pretty overpowering, but despite an awkwardness to the hops, they help to balance out the spices and sweetness a bit. Overall, the flavors are all quite interesting and ambitious, though I'm not sure if balance was quite achieved.

MOUTHFEEL: The mouthfeel is actually quite nice. Light to medium bodied with a slightly higher level of carbonation that I think fits perfectly with a wheat beer.

DRINKABILITY: I was going to say that it's quite drinkable also, but as I look over at my glass, I still have quite a bit remaining. So this one doesn't pass the "How much is left in my glass when I'm finished my review" test too well. It's still pretty nice, though, and if you give me a few more minutes, I'll be staring straight at the bottom of my glass.

This definitely should not be classified as a Witbier. I'd say it's more of an American Wheat. It's still not bad at all though. I'd prefer this one over many other Rogue beers. If you happen to see it anywhere, consider yourself lucky and grab one. Grandma will thank you when you get her back home.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Halff E Weizen has an orangish body with a nice bright white head. The lacing is pasty and sticks around pretty good to the end. There is a moderate amount of hop aroma and nearly dominated by floral aromas. There is also a slight hint of orangish aromas too. This actually tastes a lot like pale ale, not like a wheat beer. Feels wet at first, nut finishes dry. Overall very refreshing.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer poured a cloudy golden/straw color with very little head. The smell is quite cereal like. The taste is of grains and slightly sour – the taste is a mild and refreshing.. This is full bodied but not thick. The drinkability of this beer is high, as it can go down quite quickly.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

This is one of the first Rogue brews that I tried several years ago. I had yet to revisit it for a second time until now. It's an interesting take on a wheat beer, but nothing too special.

The beer pours to a golden yellow color, quite hazy. Decent carbonation. Head starts off quite tall, but recedes to a film in a matter of minutes. Lacing is thin.

The smell is quite wonderful right after the pour, but as the head dies down and the beer warms up, I get more and more of the Rogue Pacman yeast aromas. The description of the pacman yeast on Wyeast's website is bogus, claiming that the strain produces little to no diacetyl when that is the common link between every Rogue beer I've tried. Anyways, the beer has a distinct flowery Saaz aroma with hint of coriander and pils malt. Of course, as I already noted, as it warms up it gets to be more bready and buttery.

The flavor is good as well. Has a light malty sweetness, though it is well balanced by a generous amount of saaz hops. Coriander and other spices in the finish, along with a hint of toast, caramel malt, and diacetyl. Very pleasant.

The body is fairly light with a nice crisp feel. Good balance of flavors. Quite drinkable. I will probably revisit it again, and this time I probably won't wait another 3 or so years.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

A: Pours a hazy cloudy med golden color as it should be with thick foamy head that retains lacing well S: Grainy with a touch of very light spiced aroma T: Smooth light wheat body with a clean crispness to finish M: medium body with unfiltered body and graininess D: Very drinkable with smooth crispness that would compliment a warm weather day nicely. I would seek this out again and hefe's are not my favorite beers.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a hazy light gold with a moderate head that doesn't hang around all that long. There's some delicate spice and honey on the nose. On the palate, an obvious but not assertive spiciness livens up the soft wheat notes and lends a brisk, dry sensation in the finish. The ginger is used nicely here, lending just a hint of itself but by no means dominating as ginger is capable of doing.

This is a nice take on the wheat beer model (for me anyway, given that I'm not usually a huge fan of wheat beers). I'd say the highly attenuative Pacman yeast causes mouthfeel to take a hit, and I'd like to see better head retention. But anyway, I shared this bottle with my girlfriend and she didn't complain about it... so that's a victory.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle for $5.
Pours a thick orange gold color, nice haze, nice head. Thick lacing all the way down. The taste was not the typical flavor I thought it would be. Slightly sweet, slightly yeasty, also very slightly bitter. I guess thats why they call it a half-e-weizen. All in all a good balance of flavor, though nothing stands out.
Don't drink this if you're looking for a knock your socks off witbier. But, I really could see myself drinking a few cases of these if they were a bit cheaper.
Also, if you're sharing a 22 oz. with a friend, take the latter half...the flavor is all settled on the bottom.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Served from a 22oz. bottle. Pours a yellow straw color without the usual cloudyness you get in a hefe beer. One finger width head that settles to a film. The smell is like that of an american hefe, lacking the esters and clove smells but, with a hint of ginger. Taste is american hefe, some ginger and honey notes. Mouth is light with good carbination. A drinkable and different take on a hefe beer.

Half-E-Weizen from Rogue Ales