Morimoto Soba Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.
Hops: Crystal.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO

3.53/5
Alströms:

4.92/5  rDev +39.4%

One word: beautiful.

I don't much about brewing with soba, but Rogue did good with this. I don't completely agree with the classification, but I guess this has to go somewhere.

It poured from my 22oz bomber into my Smuttynose tulip glass with a clear straw color and nice white head. The head retention was wonderful.

Immediately I could smell honeysuckle and blossoms. It was one of the best smelling beers I have encountered.

The taste was a very well balanced, beautiful bouquet of honeysuckle, herbs, roasted nuts, and a hint of pie. It tasted warm, rich, yet clear and delicate on the tongue.

It paired beautifully tonight with my wife's hazelnut butternut squash lasagna, but I would drink this with just about anything.
Morimoto Soba would go great with a many dishes, from seafood with spicy or light sauces, to any asian dish. I would be hesitant to pair with anything richer or creamier, but it was so good, it may just go with anything.

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

4.7/5  rDev +33.1%

WOW just opened this tasty beverage that I purchased from my local beer man,"Otto", in Fort Smith.
appearance - golden orange
smell - citrus malt
taste - malty fruity (but I can't quite place it)
feel - soft like a woman's breast
drinkability - really pallate friendly. I wonder what the alcohol level is? Subtle finish, very smooth, I wish I bought more!

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%

A: Hazy orange. Small head that leaves a strong film.

S: Lightly toasted malts. Floral and citrus hops. Orange peel. Corn? Not a particular strong bouquet but a good-smelling one.

T: Lightly toasted malts. Corn and caramel. Some bittering hops. Very delicious.

M: Extremely smooth. Perfect carbonation. Fluffy.

O: I could drink this all day! Sessionable and refreshing.

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

Bottle, 22 oz. thin head, slight haze; picture a golden coloured hefewiezen.

the aroma is rich with malt, honey and a toasty backbone. just a hint of some candied roasted nuts.

the taste is clean with moderate to high carbonation and a slight sweetness balanced with acidity. finish is clean and dry with some residual honey and acidity.

i had this on its own but it would truly make a great accompaniment to many foods especially sushi (for which it was designed to some degree I'm sure). i will do that again soon.

4.44/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Opaque golden honey. ~1 finger of white head with about average lacing.

S - Fresh white peach, touch of toast, honey, hint of golden raisins.

T - Bring ricey grains, touch of sour malt, light grade honey. Alcohol says hello for a split second later in the profile. Porridge and cream in the aftertaste.

M - Soft texture and a medium body. Finishes slightly sweet.

D - Very drinkable. Mellow flavors and a great mouthfeel.

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This one is strange for me. I think it's overall a good beer, but only if I'm in the right mood.

Appearance: beautiful gold color that reflects the wheaty nature of the beer.

Smell: absolutely wonderful! Rich notes of toasted buckwheat with a very mild floral hint. Smelling it brought a nice big smile to my face.

Taste: a bit delicate but nice with hints of buckwheat and a very slight but pleasant starchiness. Standalone the beer is great! But with a nice bowl of hot udon it's a masterpiece.

Feel: good, but not perfect. I felt it lacked a prominent head and unfortunately was a tad flat. It's not bad, but it feels like it's meant to be paired with food.

Overall: it's a good beer, but not something I would drink on board games night. Rather it's one I would prefer on a quiet night watching a movie and eating some Udon.

4.37/5  rDev +23.8%

a: cloudy, light gold like hay. white fluffy head disipated quickly, some lacing.
s: sweet smell, honey, light citrus, molasses . nice but not complex.
t: well balanced light pale ale flavor. citrus and hop bitterness very mild and subtle.
m: light body, mild carbonation. nice hot weather beer
d: easy drinker that cleanses the pallet. not sure what the abv is, but certainly not overpowering.

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-nice bright golden color with a white head

S-clean and very bready smelling

T-dough, almost chewy, clean

M-medium

D-Drink this beer. I will definately have this beer again and again. I had it with fish and chips and it was a very good pairing.

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have to appreciate this beer for what it is. If you've had soba tea going beforehand the ale will make so much more sense. I drink the soba tea (dark honey brown color, very sweet with satisfying bitter finish) whenever I go to my Korean friend's house.

I ordered the Morimoto Soba Ale while out for sushi. I really didn't know what to expect; when ordering I had completely forgotten what soba even referred to, but it all clicked once I tasted it.

The sweetness of the soba bean comes through very strongly in the ale, though it's not overbearing. The sweet flavor is curbed nicely by the natural bitterness of the soba bean in combination with the flavor of the hops. The carbonation is relatively light, which I found fitting for the aim of this brew. The beer accentuates a lighter meal superbly.

Overall, I was very excited by with the creative combination of soba and hop flavors. Very unique and successful in my opinion.

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

You'll get the Soba taste. If you like it, you will be hooked. Nutty.

Nuff' sed