Double Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Strong Ale

7 Ingredients:
Malts: 2-Row, Munich and C15.
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
78 AA
25º Lovibond

Added by mnapier on 02-17-2008

Ratings: 1,208 |  Reviews: 531

Finally... a strong ale that I can rank with Boulevard's "Sixth Glass." Double Dead Guy is a BIG beer with a fantastic range of flavors. The nose is delightful with hints of dried fruit, mulling spices and hops. The first sip is like a party in your mouth. As expected, dried fruit, spicy hops and malts pervade the senses but (surprisingly) this beer has a HUGE chocolatey taste that the smell conceals deceptively. My first thought was "this is what it would taste like if they started mixing quads and imperial stouts." As the beer warms, the fruity aspects are more apparent, and some of the chocolate wanes to a comfortable edge on the back of the tongue.

A- For some reason, I felt like drinking this straight from the bottle... For that reason, I can't rate the appearance of the libation itself. That being said, the bottle is really great to look at! Wonderful and unusual design (the bottle I bought was painted red and featured 2 "dead guys" at the top)

S- Like I said... Wonderful (if a little deceptive) nose on this bad boy. It begs to be tasted!

T- So many flavors in this beer... it's tough to even categorize. Like I said, a BIG beer with absolutely wonderful taste. (Malt, hops, chocolate, dried fruit)

M- Mouthfeel is wonderful. A tempered yet spicy carbonation mixed with a satisfying yet not-too-thick syrupy feel.

O- One of the best strong ales I've ever tried... Right up there with Boulevard's "Sixth Glass"

Poured into a pint from a 750ml bottlee. This is a 2009. The bottle looks amazing, truly great design, this is a plus to the magnificent tasting experience. Great as an object!

A: Looks cloudy amber, very creamy and thick. Large and thick head, very creamy looking. Moderate lacing (might be the alcohol).

S: Very powerful aroma, citrics, bready malts and alcohol nicely blend into the "tour de force" for the nose.

T: This is a strong brew, and yet it's great balance could let any palate enjoy it. A lot of malt, caramel, alcohol. Nice and sweet finish.

M: Full bodied, medium carbonation.

D: I could drink this beauty all year around.

This is a wonderful beer, Rogue never ceases to amaze me, the complexity/ balance of this beer is what I would call CRAFT BEER. Pure Rogue'n'Roll.
Carajo!

Had a bottle of Dead Guy before to warm up and Yes
it was Truly DOUBLE in every way, and of course shared this with friends making it a very special tasting. Looking for another! I rated this a 5 because it deserves it, I salivate when thinking of drinking another. Beautiful orange/red color with a strong but pleasant palatable swallow! It reminds me of a perfectly mixed cocktail but only in a beer balanced flavors of sweet/sour/bitter and floral! Friends said"You only have one"?

The red bottle was of the 2009 and earlier variety, having discontinued and switched to the 2010 XS thereafter. I gave it all 5s. Best I've ever had on draft and bottle was pretty close. I kept a few for maybe 3-4 years and they just weren't as good. I hope I get to taste it again one day. As always, that's just what my taste buds tell me.
- jefé