Double Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Strong Ale

7 Ingredients:
Malts: 2-Row, Munich and C15.
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
78 AA
25º Lovibond

Added by mnapier on 02-17-2008

Reviews: 530 | Ratings: 1,201
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

I am unsure if presentation and price should pay a role in the perception of a brew, but when you pay $15 for a bright red painted bottle I think it should have some affect.

I admit I was drawn into the hype, "Wow! Look, this is a big red bottle... is pretty damn expensive... well it's gotta be amazing.... right?

...Well it was good.

The appearance is a nice clear golden amber, good head retention, and nice cream head.

Aroma was nothing spectacular, the malt most dominant

Taste was pleasant. The malt flavor was very interesting. I associated it much with smelling dry malt grain; it was a very sweet earthy taste. There was also a prominent hop flavor that stayed on my tongue. I was very pleased by the flavor complexity.

For a 9% abv this was a very drinkable beer. But, being that the Double Dead Guy is on the more expensive side, I probably won't be able to enjoy this brew that often.

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 750ml bottle at a local shop intrigued by the red painted bottle. I have had Dead Guy on many occasions and have always regarded it as a great beer. A session beer, if you will.

This Double, however, is not a session. It's quite big and boozy and...great.

A- Dark amber. Head is big and fluffy! The lace lines the glass after each sip. The retention is amazing and will accompany you as long as you need to enjoy the entire glass.

S- Floral and boozy.

T- American strong ale with fruits in the beginning and a warm tingly...dry finish. Spirit-like.

M- This beer does not lack body at all. Carbonated just right. Just like the taste, it's quite warm.

D- Careful. This beer tastes so good that the 9% ABV creeps on you! Very easy on the tastebuds but not something you wanna drink fast in high quanity.

Notes: Dead Guy is a great beer to bring to a BBQ and establish yourself above the Coors Light drinkers....Double Dead Guy is something to enjoy slow and sit inside and really....feel. If that's the right word. Great after dinner beer to be enjoyed at night time with a good movie and a good woman who knows good beer.

Good. Good. Good. Kudos Rogue!

2.57/5  rDev -34.3%

I understand the concept of this beer and love the smell of it! Not a fav of the Strong Hoppiness! Great For a Strong ale of course but i tend to lean towards lagers and browns... Probably need to sit down and ave one of these again and really get into it! not a go to beer but You should try it out!

4.41/5  rDev +12.8%

Drinking this beer was like hugging puppies that had just successfully completed a run through the dryer with some sort of glorious fabric softner.

I did not expect to enjoy "Double" Dead Guy as my experience with Imperials and Doubles has been negative. A wiser friend than I purchased it for me to celebrate the anniversary of my birth. Thank the FSM.

A) Couldn't stop starting at this beer. A glorious Sunrise+Burnt Sienna in a glass. Created this horrible cycle where I didn't want to drink it because I wanted to keep looking at it, but

T) it was so good I couldn't help myself. A fair amount going on here. Definitely some hints of ETOH, but at 9% it was understood. Delicate maple undertones dancing with Cascade Hop Madness. I wanted to freeze it and ice skate on it.

S) Light smells representative of the hops with touches of simple syrup and high gravity brewing.

M) Heavy. Coats Delightfully.

D) Not for sessions of collegiate rabblerousing, but I can see having three consecutively and passing out on the floor with a smile on my face.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this on tap at the Saucer in Addison; came In their short-stemmed wine glass they reserve for 6+ ABV brews.

A - poured dark copper with head that disipatwd in a couple minutes. Gorgeous lacing from the initial head, but little lacing thereafter.

S - Smells just like grass. Light floral aroma, but mostly grass.

T - very piney hops take the forefront. The grass is still there, but aftertaste is very alcohol-heavy. Defintely for sipping. Of I'd paired it with something better, I'd be able to avoid comparing it it to "pine scent air freshener in a glass". But the piney hops are undeniable.

M - medium body with decent alcohol and lngering bitterness that strengthens the mouthfeel.

D - I like Strong Ales. I like Oregon. But in the end, this tasted too much like Northwest Rainforest in a Glass to get the full 5 stars from me.

Finally... a strong ale that I can rank with Boulevard's "Sixth Glass." Double Dead Guy is a BIG beer with a fantastic range of flavors. The nose is delightful with hints of dried fruit, mulling spices and hops. The first sip is like a party in your mouth. As expected, dried fruit, spicy hops and malts pervade the senses but (surprisingly) this beer has a HUGE chocolatey taste that the smell conceals deceptively. My first thought was "this is what it would taste like if they started mixing quads and imperial stouts." As the beer warms, the fruity aspects are more apparent, and some of the chocolate wanes to a comfortable edge on the back of the tongue.

A- For some reason, I felt like drinking this straight from the bottle... For that reason, I can't rate the appearance of the libation itself. That being said, the bottle is really great to look at! Wonderful and unusual design (the bottle I bought was painted red and featured 2 "dead guys" at the top)

S- Like I said... Wonderful (if a little deceptive) nose on this bad boy. It begs to be tasted!

T- So many flavors in this beer... it's tough to even categorize. Like I said, a BIG beer with absolutely wonderful taste. (Malt, hops, chocolate, dried fruit)

M- Mouthfeel is wonderful. A tempered yet spicy carbonation mixed with a satisfying yet not-too-thick syrupy feel.

O- One of the best strong ales I've ever tried... Right up there with Boulevard's "Sixth Glass"

4.73/5  rDev +21%

I really enjoyed this beer and was surprised how smooth it was for 9% ABV. A - amber color with nice foamy head. It had a few small bubbles like a fine champagne. S - caramel, malt, sweet. T - very smooth, bitter on the finish, rich with a slight hoppy character. Overall, I loved this beer.

3.48/5  rDev -11%

A: A nice darker amber color with a good head. As you drink t he head remains ans gives a lacing down the glass. Its also slightly.

S: Excellent taste, the normal dead guy is one of my favorites but this "hopped" up, dobblebock version is just as good.

T: A smooth malt taste with a bitter hop finish.

M: good carbonation, smooth finish.

D: This is a very good release from Rogue, and woth a try, but for "extended" drinking the normal dead guy is better, this warms your insides very quickly.

4.42/5  rDev +13%

Pours a deep copper color with a nice two-finger head that sticks around. Citrus aroma is really dominant and the taste is all fruit too--kinda reminded me of Hawaiian Punch (a terrible analogy for beer but it was what kept coming to mind while drinking this). Has a bit of spice at the end. This is an extremely drinkable beer and I'm glad I had a chance to try before it is all gone.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Orangeish tan with almost two inches of head

S - Mild smell, not offensive but not appetizing either

T - A bit sour and very bitter

M - Sharp on the tongue, you can tell there's a lot of alcohol in this beer.

D - A bit harsh because of all the alcohol, but pretty good. Not worth the price though.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Background: 9% Strong Ale poured from bottle into pilsner glass. Stored refrigerated.

First Thoughts: Suprisingly there was no head retention or lacing on this. Carbonation is low which I like. Suspected that it it's an old bottle from the retailer but with no date on the bottle there is no way to tell.

The Good: Strong toasted caramel malts with peppery hops. This would be awesome with BBQ it could be used to make some sauces with.

The Bad: Some may find it a little boozy (not me). It's hard to find something bad about Double Dead Guy, maybe the cost or it could be considered one sided on the malt but that's if you are knitpicking.

The Bottom Line: A damn good beer that is complex and a belly warmer.

3.14/5  rDev -19.7%

First impression was a nice lacey head.

The I gave it a sniff.
ok, so I used to work in a Horse farm back in the day and moved a lot of hay bales. This beer smelled like horse food, and it quickly earned the name horse food. Mind you I could smell the alcohol. but when horse food sits it begins to ferment too. Ok thats not fair, but this beer smells like a hay field while being harvested with a hint of alcohol.

I like Rogue, I really do, but I was not thrilled with this offering. The grainyness is extremely evident before even tasting.
Cant say I was suprised by the taste. It was not too strong tasting for 9% so that was nice, but the malts were MONSTER. reading the other reviews I learned the term rank malt. I still think horse food. There is a real molases flavor that I could not get past. but a bitterness came in after the alcohol nip.

doubling up the alcohol was not woth the effort to me and more of a gimmick than anything.

Some here might judge me, but I poured out 90% of the bottle.

for context:
This was the maybe 4th beer of the night with some DFH 90Min and a growler of City Steams Carpenter ale as our base line.

We had a DFH 120 Min break, went back to the base line, then double dead guy.

tonights recap...
Carpenter might be better than 90, but 90 is so drinkable!!! 120 let me down this time, but is still nice to try from time to time, but double dead guy?!?! never again. and I wont try tripple now either.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Had a taste of this beer from a bomber that my friend picked up.
Being a huge hop-head i didn't feel that this beer would live up to my standards, even though its not "hoppy" didn't sway my tastebuds though.
This is one helluva smooth big and boozey brew. IT surprised my taste bud's with a great malty profile and i found myself begging my friend for a little more. All i can say about this brew is WOW. Good job Rogue, keep up the great brewing!

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured red with orange highlights, substantial off-white head that seemed to rise from nothing before settling back to nothing. Nose shows alot of hops and malt, in almost equal proportions. Caramel is the most dominant character. Palate shows some more caramel before some sweet malt gives way to dominating bitter hops. The sweet caramel malt again makes an appearance to take a bit of sting out of the aggressive hops. Shows a spirit like aniseed on the nose as it warms.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Rogue - Double Dead Guy 2009

22oz Bomber into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a rusty amber color and is rather cloudy. A nice two finger light tan head. Nice retention and noticeable lacing.

S - Very sweet. Heavy on the caramel, brown sugar, slight citrus and pine notes.

T - Very malty and sweet. Caramel, brown sugar, and a grapefruit taste at the front and middle. Somewhat bready. An overall citrus hop carries through this and finishes with a slight pine. Alcohol is present, but not overwhelming. Reasonably balanced.

M - A fuller medium bodied beer. Leaves a pleasant coating in the mouth.

D - One bomber in a night will do. This is definitely one to have, but not one to over do in a night. Considering it's abv, this is very drinkable.

4.11/5  rDev +5.1%

What can I say more after I bougth this bottle!!!

WOW!!! Very good brew! This beer, a little bit complex, was very interesting! I recommend you to buy it right away!

Of course, it's not a beer to drink in a time of manner just to feel the alcool. Take it slowly you'll enjoy it for sure. With salty side (pretzel...) is a very pleasant beer, and when I've a chance to buy it again, I'll do that for sure.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

For weeks it has sat in my bedroom, tempting me, testing me, persuading me, until today.

Appearance

The color is a deep amber, slightly red, with an approximate color of 15 SRM. Large opaque head formation, very thick and clumpy. Decent lacing as the beer is drank.

Smell

The smell is a mixture of dough and caramel or molasses or really good maple syrup. Reminds me of an Old/Stock Ale. No hop presence.

Taste

The taste has the same caramel flavor as the scent. Notes of roasted malt are present behind the caramel. A very slight aftertaste of hops is present, subtly bitter, without any citrus or floral notes. No bite from the alcohol whatsoever- possibly a bad attribute for a 9% brew.

Mouthfeel

Thick and flat. The beer is reasonably carbonated, but feels very viscous and heavy on the tongue. Again, it is reminiscent of a molasses or syrup, albeit a very thin, very alcoholic one.

Drinkability

Should definitely be a sipper, at this size. The richness helps to limit the pace at which I can drink a glass. It is very smooth however, with nothing to disagree with. I could drink several of these on a cold night, but I might regret it in the morning.

4.68/5  rDev +19.7%

This brew pours a deep, almost orange copper and produces and moderate head.
The smell is appealing and hints at the citrus and mineral/herbal undertones. As for taste, I love bitter hopes, the more the better! This Beer hits your mouth hard with a pleasantly complexed smooth sweethness. I sense hints of chocolate smokey undertones below the noticeable citrus profile.
This is a limited release. Hopefully they will come out with it again, I agree with some of the other reviewers...with a bit more age, this will be an even more delightful brew!

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%

The good:

The color and aroma of the beer are great, the taste is also very good without any food. Malty sweetness and a good backbone of bitterness.

The bad:

The beer alone was good, the beer with a meal gave some extremely alcoholic flavors every once and a while it was weird. Not nearly as good with a meal as alone on the palate.

Since this beer is so high in alcohol I don't see alot of people drinking it without a meal, there are better beers for the price.

But this beer is definitely something everyone should try.

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured in a Duvel glass.Yesterday.2009 version.

A-Light brown bready color with a great head.Nice medium sized bubbles and good lacing.I like this a lot.

S-Smell is malt-dominated,but the hops make it strong and present.I smell cherry-like scents.Pretty nice.

T-Sweet,sweet malts.I see a resemblance to the original Dead guy.caramels,cherries,apple hard-candy,caramel apple,red flavors up first.Then,the alcohol lets you know this is not a beer to be fucked with,but it doesn't attack you,bringing presence without being foul.Finally,the hops reach surface with a IPA-strength bitterness and mouth-refreshing balance and contrast.I would've gotten sick of the malts otherwise.It's a bitchin' beer.

M-Thinner than I thought and rather soft.Properly carbonated.

D-Too easy to drink.I drank this so fast,it almost pissed me off.

Wow.I liked this more than I thought I would.I almost said nothing while drinking it.I loved the hops on this,since they didn't make this a DIPA but were there enough to bring harmony,not discordance to the table.I'm a musician.I would say this is very much like a doppelbock with Ale yeast.Very similar malt characteristics.I am buying Double Dead Guy again.

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

750ml bottle from limited release at LCBO.

A- Amber with a bit of reddish in there too. Copper tones. Creamy off-white head. Falls to a decent thin remainder, probably due to the strong alcohol.

S- Sugary. Malts...hmm, yep more sweet malts. Too cold = not very strong nose, warmed up = strong alcohol presence + (Rust?) metallic and unpleasant. The overall nose is malty, sweet, and some diacetyl/buttery stuff. Close to a butterscotch candy smell, but not crazy.

T- Bready. Malts upfront, but the main attraction at first is the strong bitter aftertaste. A nice hop bitterness. It says Crystal hops and Rogue's Rebel Hops on this bottle, differs from the BA stats. Long aftertaste. A bit of peppery spice at the beginning, maybe some coriander. Creamy.
Alcohol fits nicely in there, but gets more noticeable as it warms. Reminds me of DFH 90minute, but less IPA-y and note quite as balanced as far as alcohol goes.
This would be a nice Winter sipper due to the warming alcohol.

M- Full bodied ale, oily and slick. Nothing bad here.

O- I'd say it's good, it's simple, but doesn't knock it out of the park. A solid strong ale, I would recommend splitting one of these with a friend. Again, would make for a good winter-warmer.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The double ipa revolution is here and this beer is right up there with the greats.This beer is complex and strong and you can drink it warm or cold.If its chilled its less complex and strong, I love this beer warm getting all the aromas and taste.If you get the chance try this beer you won't regret it

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

I was recently introduced to this ominous looking bottle that I found @ World Market.... Kind of surprising since I just read that it's been discontinued (BOOOO). It sat in my fridge for about a week until I felt like I was man enough to give it a try. I told a friend or two about it and they both agreed that Rouge Ales make an awesome product, so in I went, Pint Glass in hand.

It poured nice and thick with a reddish hue. A nice thick head was revealed and quickly settled to a 1/2 inch layer. I hate to admit it but I was a little intimidated but after the first sip, I was pleasantly surprised by a nice hoppy flavor, followed by an interestingly spicy Caramel note in the finish. Let me tell you that I did this after having about 5 Coors Lights, this beer came out and slapped the living shit out of me with 9% ABV. Definitely make this your first beer of the evening it will let you know what a REAL BEER is supposed to be like.

To top it all off, I got home from work today and my wonderful wife picked up another bottle for me to "review" along with a bottle of Lucky 13. At this pace I'm going to clean out my local World Market and go broke from all the world class beer they carry.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Had it on tap at the Cerulean Garden in Winona Lake, IN. Pours deep copper color, very clear with thick off-white head. Smells of caramel malts and some citrus hops. Taste is malty with hints of citrus. Full bodied with good carb. This is a tasty brew with a very nice balance between the malt and hops.

Had a bottle of Dead Guy before to warm up and Yes
it was Truly DOUBLE in every way, and of course shared this with friends making it a very special tasting. Looking for another! I rated this a 5 because it deserves it, I salivate when thinking of drinking another. Beautiful orange/red color with a strong but pleasant palatable swallow! It reminds me of a perfectly mixed cocktail but only in a beer balanced flavors of sweet/sour/bitter and floral! Friends said"You only have one"?

Double Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales