Rouge

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
RougeRouge
Notes: We don't joke about beer. So while many thought it was an April Fool's joke when we announced Rouge, a Brut IPA blended with Pinot Noir juice and dedicated to typos, we knew it was real and it was spectacular. The label is an anagram of our name: Rogue. And it's been the most common misspelling of our brand since day one.

We can't count the times we've received phone calls for a "Rouge Alés" and we relish the opportunity to recount that one time our brewer's yeast was accidentally delivered to the gentleman's lounge, Club Rouge in Portland instead of Rogue Eastside Pub & Pilot Brewery. Heck, we've even been guilty of misspelling our own name once or twice. It's such a common gaffe, we've even given it a term: "getting rouged."

After 30 years of "getting Rouged," we felt it was time to embrace our rougey roots and brew something delicious in honor of it.

Rogue Innovation Brewer Michael King started with a brut IPA, a dry but aromatic example of the IPA style, combining 2-Row Malt, Corn Flakes and Rolled Oats. For hops, he selected Mosaic, Chinook, El Dorado, Strata, Rogue Farms Alluvial. He of course used our proprietary Pacman Yeast and Newport's own Free Range Coastal Water. And for a real Rogue (Rouge?) twist on it all, he blended it with Oregon Pinot Noir juice.

The result is a crisp and semi-dry brut IPA co-fermented with Oregon Pinot Noir juice for a unique flavor and an added rouge hue. The finish is hoppy and delicious.
Reviews: 7 | Ratings: 16
Reviews by 98green:
3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

From a pint can to snifter.

Look is pink at first, but more amber as it fills the glass, mostly clear. Smell is piles of that brut yeast, followed by light ripened grape.

Taste is a bunch of nothing for me, very dry with minimal hop bitter or malt backbone. Closer to a seltzer taste than a beer. Finishes with a very faint vinous remnant.

The feel is dry on dry, moderate carb but honestly I thought this might be better served going harder on the carb. Zero trace of alcohol, so they hid the 7.5% very well.

Overall, I get the brut thing for sure, but I don’t taste anything close to IPA here. I suppose “brut IPA” is the only brut Stryker do they went there, but this is unlike other brut IPAs I’ve tried. This is unique for sure, but the style is closer to a hard seltzer malt beverage than a brut IPA beer for me.

Other reviews seem to have rated it a bit harsher than me, and I can understand that view. I think this might be a very polarizing offering. I tend to be a bit more forgiving for something unlike anything I’ve ever had. This certainly fits that bill, although I think one is more than enough.

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

$ 3.00 (Including tax)/16 oz can ($ 0.188/oz) from Franklin Beer, Franklin, PA. Reviewed 6/19/19.
“CANNED ON 04/23/2019” on bottom of can. In reefer at point of sale. Stored upside down at 42 degrees and served at 45 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Appearance – 3.5.
First pour – Very light peach, very slight haze.
Body – Orangish pink, hazy, translucent, effervescent.
Head – Average (Maximum three cm, aggressive center pour), off white, low density, below average retention, diminishing to a zero to two mm crown fed by effervescence and a single small island of bubbles for a cap.
Lacing – none.
Aroma – 3 – Weak sweet aroma of rotting fruit and pungent sweat.
Flavor – 3 - Starts with white grape juice mixed with stone fruits. Sweet and not dry. No alcohol taste or aroma (7.5 % ABV), no diacetyl, no dimethylsulfide.
Palate – 3 – Medium, a bit syrupy, soft carbonation.
Impression and interpretation – 3 – Certainly not a Brut IPA other than in name. Carbonated fruit juice.

4.46/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Still don’t quite get it what makes a Brut IPA. Similar to NEIPAs but... but what?
Is it that rawness, that excessive hoppy resinous aroma and feel to it? If that is what it takes then I am loving it.
Rogue is a master brewery and I like all their brews. Funny that they made a pinch at such a typo but this way they turned it all around and made the beer almost red - well, rather like a rosé - using pinot noir juice. And the beer became not only a super hoppy something, but yet something that reminds me of - stum. I mean the grape juice that is just starting to ferment. This feeling of both wine and beer is quite unusual, sometimes strange but it is interesting enough. It is very slightly tart with a body feel similar to sours, you also have almost no head and a very subtle maltiness to it. On the other hand you get a punch of resinous and pine hops in your nose, a slightly hop-bitter flavor and some funny booziness that I’m not even sure if it is there of if it is the play of the aromas together.
I COULD imagine the beer in a bit more ideal way (bit more tart or spicy yeast) but then it would become a sour or a farmhouse ale or a saison and not a Brut IPA. Hey, I even forgot that it’s supposed to be one...
Anyway, here are the real notes from the can:

Every day we get letters and emails that misspell our name, heck we even do it ourselves sometimes. Fed up, our brewers decided to make a beer to fit the name. They started with a brut IPA and blended in Oregon pinot noir. The resulting beer is pleasantly complex and dry with a rouge hue. Here's to beter spleling threw bere!

1.75/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.94/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

Rogue Ales "Rouge"
one pint can,"CANNED ON 05/04/2019 10:10:24"
$3.99 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Look: Hazy dark-amber/copper with a pink sheen. Short head of lightly pinkish white foam.
Smell: Hoppy with resin, flowers, pine, and citrus followed by a kind of generic fruitiness from the Pinot Noir grapes.
Taste: As the aroma suggests with more fruit (grape, berries, apple). Stiffly bitter and dry in the finish.
Feel: Medium to medium body with a moderate carbonation that leaves it soft and smooth.

Overall: For some reason I thought this was going to be a disaster, but in fact it actually works great. First, it's a Brut IPA, no questions asked. Then the flavor from the Pinot Noir grapes comes in, giving it additional character without swinging it towards becoming a full blown fruit beer. Flaws would be that the hops on the Brut IPA side are a bit muted, but they obviously had to do that to balance it to accommodate the fruit; and the carbonation is low to accommodate the fruit in that anymore carbonation would increase the perception of bitterness and add a bit of an acidic bite. The limited carbonation also affects the head retention and lacing, dropping its score on appearance. In the end if you simply look at it as one "rouge" beer, rather than breaking it apart, it's quite good.

Review #6,668

Not quite rouge but slightly pink in hue. Flavors are dry but I was expecting more carbonation for the style. White grape juice notes. Citrus rind bitterness in the finish. Distinct hop flavors are muted.
Overlaps quite a bit with the Belgian strong pale ale spectrum. The focus on yeast being critical to the final product shows in this.
Clean and straight forward with subtle mineral components. I hope I find this again.
On tap at Barcade Jersey City.

4.17/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Attractive clear brew the color of a pale rosé wine with a big foam in the Belle-Vue Gueuze glass. Pleasantly fruity aroma. Lively mouthfeel with a mildly acidic touch. The carbonation lives up to the "champagne" claim more here than most of the Brut IPA entries. Hints of rhubarb, orange, and plenty of red grape.

Dry finish after the fruit, and it's even lightly winey. This is actually one of the better fruit-flavored beers I've had. Grapes + Brut zing makes for a highly drinkable but entertaining brew. From the 16 oz can purchased at Mt. Vernon Co-op.

1.82/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Oh lawd please save me from the disgusting mess I'm about to force down my throat.

Poured from a 16 oz can into a teku glass. Gotta be fancy.

Pours a relatively clear pinkish gold color with a finger of pinkish white head. The head is gone rather quickly, leaving almost no lacing as it settles into a thin ring.

The aroma brings some white grape juice with some dank vegetal notes not far behind. It's like somebody dropped some spinach into their glass of grape juice. Not pleasant.

The flavor fairs much worse: White grape juice with the absolute foggiest idea of bittering hops. So simple and so pointless.

The feel is light bodied with moderate carbonation. Extremely dry on the finish. Carbonation is completely lacking for the style.

Overall, a very poor beer. Its flavor is basically white grape juice with a hint of carbonation. There's just nothing going on here and nothing worth noting. It's just not a good beer.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rouge from Rogue Ales