Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American IPA

8 Ingredients:
Cara Foam, Melanoiden & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Amarillo & Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

15º PLATO
76 AA
14º Lovibond

Added by Avryle on 07-26-2008

Ratings: 2,102 |  Reviews: 668

Strong, bold, but smooth IPA taste. I start drinking yellow snow during the fall holidays season and it's a nice IPA taste and cool look.

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours orange straw with a fluffy white head. Smells of citrus hops, and slight sweet grain. Tastes of thick citrus hops and nice full light grain body. Beer is light bodied and very easy drinking, slightly heavy carbonation. Overall, an above average beer.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I've heard that the snow in Oregon isn't the best - sticky and wet, but plentiful. You just have to "Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

This pours a deep golden, like a pale or a double. The head is negligible as is the aroma, which has just a hint of funkiness.

The taste is bitter and malty. Balanced, and not as hoppy as expected. The can could be old?? The aftertaste is a nice bitterness that lingers on the tongue. I got this from a dealer that is new to me, and I have reason to question the freshness, which would be important for this style. The can would certainly help over a bottle.

Recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

01/22/15

Bottle to pint glass.

AROMA: light citrus, pine, leaves.
TASTE: light citrus, pine, leaves. A touch hoppier, but not as tasty, as Rogue’s Brutal IPA.
FEEL: smooth, sipper.
Still a good beer. Love the name.

4.06/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I am breaking out my box of Crayola crayons for New Colorful Beer Sunday (Week 646), drinking & reviewing some CANned beers with colors in their names. I had stocked my reefer with CANs for the 4th of CANuly & since I did not run through all of them as planned + I do not want to pull them out since they are already chilled, only one option remains - DRINK 'EM!

From the CAN: "Dedicated to Common Sense"; "Rogue Yellow Snow IPA is pale golden on color with a hoppy, fruity aroma. Big hop flavor up front complimented by medium body and hoppiness mid-palate. It finishes with a characteristic, lingering bitterness."; "Dare*Risk*Dream"; "16º PLATO[,] 82 IBU[,] 81 AA[,] 14º L[ovibond]". They seem to have upped the ante(s) since its initial release.

I Crack!ed the CAN open and CANtemplated my next move. Yes, it was a pounder CAN, but I actually had a glass large enough to handle its CANtents in the standby position. What to do? You guessed it - I attempted an inverted Glug which became so out of CANtrol that I may never even CANsider such a reckless, Rogueish maneuver ever again! Well, if you like head, then that is one way to get it. I generally use flowers & CANdy, but in this case, I had just under two fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with great retention. Color was ... who's zoomin' who, here?!? Yellow? Feh! Try Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of many things - pine, caramel, freshly-turned earth, light grapefruit, tangerine/orange & an unidentifiable secret ingredient, which may have been melted yellow snow. Eeek! Oh, those Rogue boys & their adjuncts ... JK. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was very much of pine & pine tar & I always flash back to George Brett & his pine tar incident meltdown in such instances. As a hophead, I often get overwhelmed by Citra hops & their inherent grapefruit citrusiness, so when an AIPA comes along that is not reliant on them, it is like a cool, refreshing breath of fresh air. This beer had that taste - cool, minty, refreshing, Finish was cool and dry with a seemingly dichotomous caramel taste as the lingering aftertaste.

I CAN't lie to you & tell you that this was my first time drinking Rogue Yellow Snow IPA, but I never reviewed it on here + it was my first exbeerience with it from a CAN. I feel like a born-aCAN virgin!

3.33/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.56/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.19/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Appears orange/yellow with mild sediment on the bottom. The head is minimal and short lived.
S: The aroma is earthy and malty. I was hoping to find a more prominent hop profile in the aroma but it's just 'regular'.
T: The taste is mildly resinous and bitter fruit.
M: The body is medium. Carbonation is perfect. Bitterness is mild.
O: Good enough for me, I liked it. Dunno if I'd buy it again, but I'd definitely drink it again.

3.54/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color, nice frothy head, persisting , excellent lacing. Medium malt aroma, caramel. Very low aroma of citrus hops, mostly orange. Very high bitterness, medium sweetness. Medium body, medium carbonation, oily, long dry finish , bitterness linger into aftertaste but is not harsh. Smooth beer. Some rusty notes, which is I think old hops. That would explain lack of hops aroma. Expiration date is October and we are in April... so I would like to try it more fresh I think.

4.09/5  rDev +8.8%

3.51/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Huge foamy head on this. Love it because the head reminds me of snow. Solid IPA. Flavor not too surprising, somewhat light actually. Beautiful complexity to the color of this brew.

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Light hazy golden color with white cap and good lacing.

Aroma of spicy, citrusy (not grapefruit), piney hops and rich malt with the malt playing a minor role. There is something fruity as well which I can't place as the hops or the yeast. Good clean scent.

Taste on entry is hop brightness quickly followed by malt richness. As in the scent the malt steps back from the limelight but it's voice can still be heard. The fruity element is still there in the taste but changes to citrus notes mid palate, as if there were a key change in the music, and that's the remaining theme through the finish with a resinous hop note lingering in the aftertaste which is also slightly bitter.

Texture is full and creamy. A lighter sort of creaminess but it's still there.

Overall it's a fairly simple brew with just two voices, hops and malt, but they duet well together. Should stand up well to spicy food. At 6.5% it gets my juices flowing.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.77/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has an orange color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is malty, a bit sweet. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, some pine, very easy drinking. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall, it's not a hop bomb, but it is an enjoyable beer.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.43/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%