Yellow Snow IPA | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American IPA

8 Ingredients:
Cara Foam, Melanoiden & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Amarillo & Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

15º PLATO
76 AA
14º Lovibond

Added by Avryle on 07-26-2008

Ratings: 2,100 |  Reviews: 667

2.61/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

Todd kindly shared this with me and others during the holidays. I hadn't had this this a good long while, so I was happy to revisit it. Poured out of a 64oz growler into a plastic tumbler cup (we were at a concert, so whatever). Not sure on the capping date - I'm thinking no more than 2 weeks?

First off, as a Zappa fan and as a media studies major, I'm less than flattered that I should be drinking anything with "yellow snow" in the title, but at least it doesn't *look* like yellow snow, or any interpretation of urine for that matter. Cloudy amber orange in color, with a nice frothy white head that dissipates rather quickly, and leaves pretty much no lacing at the finish. Pretty standard for the style, although definitely has its own slight twist at this point.

The aroma is a very typical Northwestern IPA flavor, although it's definitely filled with a lot of the grainy and spicy yeasty qualities that I've found most of Rogue's beers to be chock-filled with. In other words, not as zesty or hoppy as you'd think. At the front, I get a lot of toasted cereal grainy qualities, with some notes of orange, lemon, and a bit of pine. At the middle, there's a black peppercorn spiciness, with some green pepper, as well as a toffee and caramel undertone that finishes it off. Smells a little buttery, and a little chalky as well, as some other reviewers have pointed out. It's memorable in a strange way, and while it's not totally bad, I have no clue what the brewers' intentions were in developing this beer's recipe.

The flavor only produces a larger question mark overall - if this is really an IPA, or a hoppy beer for that matter, it's definitely one made for those that haven't had too many hoppy beers in their life. Rather, it stands as an enormously astringent, grainy, husky, chalky mess overall, and while it's not completely undrinkable, it wasn't the most pleasant thing to sip on while I sat around to watch some live music. Huge husky grain flavors are at the front, with a toasted, yeasty malt flavor that tastes both brittle and cooked, with brief spice, pine, lemon rinds, and semi-sweet toffee thrown into the mix. It's definitely bitter, but other than the lemon and pine notes, this offers far too much bitterness and strange raspy yeasty spiciness from everything BUT the hops, which makes this progressively more difficult to drink over time. I haven't a clue what this aimed to do other that displease me overall.

Other people I was with seemed to enjoy this just fine, so maybe my palate was wrecked from the Coffee Bender I had beforehand? No clue, but I really don't think this is a very notable hoppy beer, nor is it a very enjoyable beer on its own. I simply cannot get past how astringent and brittle the entire beer felt and tasted, and how much its malt profile would cover up whatever its hops sought out to do. Not the worst I've had, but way below average for what the style tends to offer in terms of drinkable options.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

4.14/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours from a bottle with a hazy golden orange color with a foamy white head. Has a grassy, piney aroma. Flavor is pine and medium to high bitterness, with a dry finish. The beer has a medium body mouthfeel and goes down pretty smooth. This is a pretty solid IPA.

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%