John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged) | Rogue Ales

good
John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged)John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged)

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Brown Ale

"Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar aged in Rogue's Hazelnut Spiced Rum barrels."

13 Ingredients:
Harrington, Klages, Brown, Carastan 13/17, Crystal 70/80, Crystal 135/165, Beeston Pale Chocolate & Rogue Micro Barley Farm Dare™ malts; Saaz and Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution Hops; Hazelnut Extract, Free Range Coastal Water & Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3.2º Lovibond

Added by Docer on 07-19-2009

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Rogue John-John Hazelnut with rum
On draft at The Avenue Pub, New Orleans, LA

Appearance: brown, small head, some good lacing.

Smell: nutty maltiness.

Taste: nutty sourness with some malts.

Mouthfeel: medium.

Overall:
It is an interesting brew. It isn't powerfully strong, but has a good balance of flavor.

2.91/5  rDev -16.1%

22 oz bottle

a - reddish- amber, clear, little to no head

s - very little if any aroma, I was hoping for a nice nutty smell, but didn't really get anything

t - was hoping for a nice malty, nutty, smooth taste, but felt a little weak in all areas. a little too carbonated for my tastes as well. very nice subtle hazelnut finish though, and I would have liked to have more flavor overall throughout. good bitterness to balance the maltiness that was there

m - crisp but medium bodied

d - drinkable, though not enough to want to try another just yet

3.82/5  rDev +10.1%

How do you make Hazelnut Brown Nectar, one of Rogue's best beers, even better? Throw it in some rum barrels. Nomnomnom. This was enjoyed on tap at Tops and poured into a standard pint glass.

A: slightly hazy cherry-tinged amber. There's absolutely no head; just a fizzy tan ring that seems a few molecules wide.

S: like a snicker doodle. Rum, sweet molasses, subtle cinnamon and toasty ritz crackers. Nicely sweet, nicely roasty.

T: rum, sweet toffee, crackers, and hazelnut, all combining to remind of pretzels. The toasty and nutty qualities are balanced perfectly with the sweeter toffee, caramel and rum flavors. The finish is slightly dry.

M: medium-light in body, a prickly moderate carbonation creates a light fizziness, though the beer holds together well as it moves throughout the mouth.

D: I like what rum-aging did to this beer -- it adds an interesting spiciness, making the flavor a bit more robust than the un-aged Hazelnut Nectar. A well-balanced, thoroughly enjoyable brown ale, though drinkability has to take a hit for the outlandish price Rogue charges for it.

3.59/5  rDev +3.5%

The aromas are pretty good. A lot of malt with the some hazelnut notes coming through. I can also pick up a little bit on the barrel aging and some spices as well.

The tastes start out nutty with a good dose of malt and caramel. Falls a little short on my expectations; seems almost like a less carbonated/flat version or the original hazelnut brown. The finish is pretty dry and slightly nutty. There is a small amount of spices and earthiness from the barrel aging. The mouthfeel is between medium bodied without much carbonation.

Overall this is a good beer but not worth the $10 price point and the original Hazelnut Brown is better in my opinion. It's worth trying but only if you can get it for less than I paid.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

On-tap presently at Selma's in RSM.

Pours a thin head with a slightly opaque brown body. The head is virtually non-existent.

Aromas primarily of rum-soaked sweetbread. No too intense but present enough to be pleasant.

Tastes like Rogue Hazelnut Brown (always good) aged in rum barrels (also good). Fairly smooth, though not highly complex. I like the taste overall, but the rum nearly overpowers the brown, resulting in lack-of-balance.

The mouthfeel is thin and watery. That's a problem, as any brown should have some semblance of body to it.

Overall, it sounds better on paper. The rum overpowers the nutty characteristics way too much. I mean, it is smooth, and I do actually dig the flavor, but the thinness of the beer combined with the aforementioned rum-domination makes this less a beer and more a watered-down rum that happens to exhibit some flavors of Rogue's Hazelnut Brown.

2.16/5  rDev -37.8%

16 ounce pint at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: The shifty bartender, unable to make eye-contact, nervously places before me a clearish, darkened brown-amber body with a scant, light beige head. Does he know something I don't?

Smell: It's just an odd aroma, really. Illgotten spices scattered over berries and grapes and thrown into a vat of raw alcohol, giving a scent akin to over-the-counter cough syrup. I know I don't waste my money on those flu shots, but, come on, I'm not sick and don't need sixteen ounces of medicine. Unacceptable!

Taste: Slim maltiness, nil sweetness, and, actually, I find it a little hard to detect the hazelnut found in the standard Brown Nectar. That same medicine character carrying over from the aroma. I'm not tasting anything I'd feel confident labeling as tasting of rum (which I like, as I've been known to take a long gluglug pull from the bottle). It's like the barrel just sucked the absolute life oughta this beer without putting anything (at least anything good) back. Heated, boozy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Lightly carbonated. It's kind of dead in my mouth, just like my hope and interest in the continuation of the John John barrel-aging series.

Drinkability: A beer where everyone and everything you ever cared about is ripped from you and you are left spinning in a black, featureless void of nothingness, unable to feel anything but the slow, dull ache of remembrance as to how the world used to be. Rogue took a beer I've always enjoyed and turned it into something horrific.

2.86/5  rDev -17.6%

I'm not a huge fan of the regular version of this brew but I'm hoping that this might give it a twist to the good...

Pours a dull brown with a very murky muddy appearance and virtually no head at all... Just sorta sits there... No carbonation that I can tell...

Decent aromas of caramel malts with hints of the namesake hazelnut mixed in...perhaps a touch of the spice present in the aroma as well but that could be my imagination. Not sure what I was expecting but I don't think it was this...

Dull flat tasting maltiness with what I can only describe as hazelnut coffee creamer mingled in... I guess what I mean is that it tastes phony to me... Lifeless brew... I'm with one of the earlier reviewers on this in that I'm thinking Rogue hasn't perfected barrel aging their brews...

Disappointing...

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Much closer to dark apricot orange than hazelnut brown. The cashew colored crown is not up to this brewery's usual standards. The foam doesn't have very interesting topography and almost no lace is making its way to the glass. Liquor barrel-aging tends to do that.

The aroma is underpowered, even when the head has largely faded away. JJA smells like a toasted bready brown ale with a hint of hazelnut. Spiced rum is not appreciated. Looks like there's some work to be done on the palate.

If full-strength Hazelnut Brown Nectar is truly the base beer, and is aged in barrels that had previously contained spiced rum, then how in the world does the ABV go from 6.2% to 5.0%? Unless less malt is used in this offering... which is what it tastes and feels like. Sorry, but I'm not feeling this John John.

Specifics include brown bread with a small amount of earthy caramel and an even smaller amount of hazelnut (splash of Frangelico). Still no rum and still no spice. There simply is not enough barley to deliver the proper amount of depth and boldness of flavor. Even a modest bitterness has no trouble burying whatever sweetness might have been present.

The mouthfeel is too thin (even taking ABV into account) and the bubbles are harsh and fizzy, living at the edges of the beer rather than buried within and creating creaminess. Yet again, not up to the usual Rogue standards... at... all.

Either Rogue Brewery is slipping or they haven't yet figured out how to barrel age beer. John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged) is a disappointing effort that isn't anywhere near as good as Hazelnut Brown Nectar. Unless major changes are made, there's no need for this one to be released again.

had the chance to try this one on tap at barleys last night. my last big night out before a month long beer stop. served cold and into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/07/2010.

the pour was a nice medium brown color with a smooth even head of lace that was tinged the slightest color of off white. decent lacing but a fairly bare top.

aroma is light run notes, lots of roasted malts and hints of brown sugar that all seem to play off each other quite nicely and leave a pleasant, earthy air to them. a bit lighter then i was expecting but it seemed to work as each sip let the flavor bounce around the tongue and lead to warm run notes, dark malts, lots of sweet notes and a touch of spice in the finish.

overall not the most interesting of beers from rogue i have ever ha but i certainly cannot complain.

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a nice dark amber brown. Nice puffy white head. Nice sweet aroma of hazelnut, and dark rum.Very nice flavor, warm spices and hazelnut mix with just a hint of the dark molases rum flavor. This is a really nice brown ale. Its a little flat in the mouth, could use a little more carbonation. Otherwise a real treat.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The ingredient stats on the bottle available this side of the 49th are slightly askew from those stated here, including, most prominently, an ABV of 6.2%...

This beer pours a slightly muddled ruddy amber hue, with two fingers of foamy pale beige head, which leaves zip in the way of lace as it fades away. It smells of sweet bready/biscuity malt, a bit of nutmeg, clove, and mild boozy wood barrel. The taste is more sweet bready malt, and a dry, almost gingerbread/pumpkin pie spiciness, supplemented by an earthy woody character. The carbonation is quite sedate, the body medium weight, smooth, and just a tad cloying. It finishes off-dry, the nutty malt still stronger that the proffered miscellaneous dryness .

I very much like the hazelnut, in fact, it's my favorite nut, and by that metric, there ain't no hazelnut in this here beer. A shame, that. Much more a fall Oktoberfest/Winter Spice offering than the titular barrel promise, but in my experience, rum is rather quiet in its influence on any manner of aged content.

3.54/5  rDev +2%

A- Poured into a DFH snifter... starts with a light brown somewhat fizzy head that lingers very briefly before almost completely disappearing with no trace left behind. The beer is dark amber/copper colored with little activity

S- First smell gives a sweet aroma, almost that of a cola. After some swirls of the snifter it has some toasted malt aroma, but is mostly a great blend of the hazelnut and rum... almost smells like molasses

T- Has a toasted malt taste with hints of hazelnut and a mellow spicey rum finish

M- Medium bodied with very little carbonation

D- Well, an interesting brew and worth the money once to give it a try though I don't think I would spend it twice. I think I prefer the Hazelnut Brown fresh as opposed to rum barrel aged...

CHEERS!!

1.88/5  rDev -45.8%

Waiting for the World Series to resume here on fun Halloween...Have to settle for the awful Raiders while I check out this interesting brew...

Pours a slightly cloudy, rust-colored amber. No real head forms, and no discernable lacing, either. Leaves a thin tiara of persistent head near the rim, and the carbonation is in the middling range. Did I mention I hate the Raiders???!!! Well, I freaking do...

Aromas are very faint...Some sour cherry notes, and that's about it...Do I have a cold or something?? Nope, no cold...

Weird flavor. Super-tangy right off the bat, then it morphs into this somewhat funky (as in Belgian funk) and off-malty. Finish is somewhat thin and lacking. No real hop character in here. All-in-all this is somewhat disappointing. Nothing really going on, and kind of flat all around. Painfully expensive at $8.99/bomber. I'd avoid this concoction altogether...

What I like most: um, I guess the faint sour cherry aroma.

What I like least: pretty much everything else.

Verdict: Very expensive and poor effort from a normally great producer. Avoid...

2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Pours a light clear amber with just a ting of rose color.

S: Dominated by booze. It smells sickeningly sweet like they took rum and added brown sugar to it.

T: Not much flavor. I do get some of the sweet rum flavor but also get a hint of cola. It tastes a little like club soda.

M: Thin and watery made worse by the fact that it is to carbonated.

D: It is super easy to drink as there isn't much to it. It doesn't have much flavor and it is very thin. I could drink a bunch of it, but I wouldn't choose to do so.

Overall: Not impressed. Proof that barrel aging doesn't necessarily equal good.

3.02/5  rDev -13%

This bares little resemblance to its derivative brew. This creation is strange and interesting. Just about no signs of carbonation, a decidedly auburn hue with a jewel-like glow. Cask-conditioned overall look. Simply a spiced rum aroma with some toasted nut (hazelnut, to be sure). No fruity or bitter elements to the smell. Much of the same for the flavor, only the toasted nut really busts out here with the rum barrel conditioning taking a back seat to it. The most delicate spiced cake malt quality in the finish. Somewhat boring feel due to the absence of discernible CO2. Definitely one of the oddest brown ales I've had. Unique. Can't liken it to a British brown/mild. Neat little novelty ale. Hesitate to give as low marks as I am, however I, for some silly reason, am trying to critique to style. Difficult to do here.

NOTE: The draft I had today was the first with a relatively aggressive injection of CO2. Not great - totally scrubbed away the subtleties in flavor and feel that makes this beer quite unique. This one actually poured with a head. Swirled the beer endlessly in the glass and waited it out until it warmed up decently. Only in the very end did I start to pick up flavor and aroma - as weak as it was. No, sir, I didn't like it. The bar agreed it was a mistake.

3.56/5  rDev +2.6%

A: This poured a nearly clear light mahogany with moderate tan head.
S: It smelled like faint coffee and roasted barley, with a little spiced rum and raisin and copper.
T: It tasted like dry earthy barley and roasted coffee, with some copper hops and spiced rum and applesauce. It had a somewhat dirty and mild bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was fairly thick with some carbonation. Pretty nice body.
D: This was a great concept that ended up being kind of weak. Some people might view it as nice and delicate, rather than being bold or obscene. But I'm an American, so I prefer my beers extreme. So I was a little disappointed this didn't have a stronger rum or hazelnut presence. Plus the taste was a bit dirty, to me. On the plus side, the body was solid and it was easy to drink. But overall this was only a mediocre beer, despite all its potential for greatness.

2.93/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Pours a dark brown color. At first a two finger tightly packed head rises, but recedes in a second to nothing. No lace is left behind either.
S: The aroma is of spiced rum. Some sweet malt as well. Nothing else that I can pick up. Beyond that pretty neutral.
T: Sweet malt some nutty flavors, and spiced rum. Nothing much else.
M/D: A much lighter body than I was expecting. Thin, watery, and almost under carbonated. Not hard to drink, but nothing I care to finish.

This is not doing it for me. Not much going on here, and what is here does not mesh well. This is not the worst thing I have had, but nothing I am going to recommend.

3.37/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a bomber into a BN Army pint glass.

A- Hazy brown. Head reduces down to a thin white surface, very little lacing.

S- The spiced rum comes through heavily in the nose...not much else.

T- Woody and spicy...the barrel comes right through followed by a little malt sweetness. Perhaps if the base beer were better the spiced rum taste would be better supported.

M- pretty thin and watery.

D- The barrel flavor is the most predominant, but not over powering. It is drinkable because the flavors are not overpowering, but the taste is pretty blah.

3.32/5  rDev -4.3%

On-Tap at Hulmeville Inn in a pint glass

John John came to me looking like dead guy ale without any head. The liquid was brownish slight red with some light and no life up above, pretty still beer here. Scents include caramel and sweet candi with a dash of hazelnuts that barely register. Hops are not much of a scent opener here, pretty basic stuff. Taste is pretty simple considering this was "aged" on some type of wood, rum it says, but im not picking up anything of the like. This remains a brown ale with a touch of candi sweetness. Feel is less than medium with no activity on the mouth whatsoever, there is no party going on here. Drinkability suffered because I did not want to finish this. Glad I gambled on a tap version of this because If i wasted loot on a bomber I would of been pissed.

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours out cloudy brown with very little head. Not a lot of lacing here.
Smell is light hazlenut and just a touch of the rum. I am getting a charred malt and a candy cherry like aroma.
Taste is a little watery but the flavors come pretty quickly. Some bitterness but mostly a rum spice of some sort.
Mouthfeel is watery because of the low abv but this is a clean brew with just a tad of stickyness.
Drinkablilty is pretty good with this offering from Rogue.

4.6/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the Issaquah brewhouse.

Smells like superintense hazelnuts. The regular hazelnut brown only kinda tastes like hazelnuts. It's the same way a chocolate sout only kind tastes like chocolate--it's a type of barley, mostly, that has some chocolate complexities.

This beer, on the other hands, smells like Hazelnuts. Like those candies that come wrapped in gold foil.

It tastes like the same kind of candied, chocolatey nutty goodness, only it's backed up by a lightly vinous and heavily spicy complexity. It's a damp flavor, actually more like gin than like rum, and it finishes on an endearingly odd blend of nuts, brown barley, rosemary, and molasses. Gorgeous.

Why is it that I'm the only person who seems to enjoy these John John beers? Is it because their rarity and high price make reviewers expect higher ABV beers? I just don't know. I've never before found myself standing so firmly against the critical consensus.

2.2/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

This is a perfectly stored bottle from Hi Times and tasted shortly after being removed from its cooler.

Pours a beautiful dark clear copper red with a nice but thin and quickly fading light tan head.

Nose has a red wine fruit forward fruity nose that is pleasing and inviting albeit light and not very forthcoming; a hint of hazelnut because you're looking for it and no rum or wood character at all.

Mouthfeel is thin and much more "Rogue like" than the John John in Gin barrels. Mouthfeel is watery, diluted, light carbonation and not inviting or inspiring.

Flavors are faint, light, simple and boring. In fact, the flavors are so weak as to be almost non-descript. Tastes like weak lager. Light watery yeast and a hint of hop and malt. No hazelnut, no rum no wood in the flavors whatsoever.

A "dirty water" finish and little else. I opened a second bottle from another case. Same review.

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Enjoyed this one with my brother on Thanksgiving day. I've tried the regular Hazelnut Brown at a recent Rogue tasting, so was really looking forward to this one!

A - Pours a nice brown colour, slightest haze, thin finger of maple coloured head which dissipates after a few minutes and leaves no real lacing.

S - Scent is very nutty, but is supported by a nice bready caramel malt. Sweet maple scent also noticeable and a faint spiced rum on the finish.

T - Very tasty offering with the nutty caramel coming off the top, several spice notes also present with cinnamon and nutmeg also coming into play. Can definitely notice a bit of a spiced rum flavour on the finish and a spiced up bready malt lingers on the tongue.

M - Medium bodied, but could easily get away with a bit more of a thicker and chewy feel. It goes down smooth and is nice and wet on the tongue but is just a tad thin.

D - Overall a very tasty drink and definitely worth a try. I found that the regular offering had a greater nutty flavour and had less of the spice presence, but this one offers a bit of a twist on their classic hazelnut ale.

4.02/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - nice deep caramel color with 1/2inch white head on top.

S - hazelnut, maple, maybe a bit of the whiskey and some caramel and vanilla.

T - it's decent, but a little lacking. I was expecting some more body and more pronounced flavors of both the whiskey and hazelnut. Each are there, but pretty weak. Not as much depth as I would like.

M - good carbonation, nice mellowness.

D - this is a nice brew and definitely a sessionable brown ale. I could drink this all night.

3.62/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark brown color with an off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thing ring of lace around the glass leaving a decent amount of lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty good. A lot of malt with the some hazelnut notes coming through. I can also pick up a little bit on the barrel aging and some spices as well. The aroma Reminds me a little bit of a pumpkin ale.

T- The taste starts out nutty with a good dose of malt and caramel. The finish is pretty dry and slightly nutty. There is also a good amount of spices. The taste like the aroma reminds me a bit like a pumpkin beer.

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodied with a good punt of carbonation.

D- Overall. John John Ale is another solid beer from Rogue that I'm glad I tried. Definitely worth a try. Recommended.

John John Hazelnut (Rum Barrel Aged) from Rogue Ales