Rogue Farms Dirtoir Black Lager | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Schwarzbier

Malts: Melanoidin, Carafe Special II, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro-Barley Farm first growth Risk malts.
Hops: Rogue Micro-Hop Yard first growth Independent and Revolution.
Yeast & Water: Oktoberfest Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
130 AA
75º Lovibond

Added by Cresant on 12-22-2009

2.5/5  rDev -38%

2.6/5  rDev -35.5%

22 ounce bottle poured in a pint glass.

A: black, but there were hues around the glass. good head

S: roasty, fruity, over all not bad

T: garbage.

M: fine

D: I drain poured this beer a couple of sips in and I decided to open something else. I seem to not like the style, for some reason.

2.99/5  rDev -25.8%

22oz bottle, split and shared with my wife, poured my allotment into a mug. This is crazy thick! Slowly glugs out of the bottle. This is like used motor oil. Not what I would expect from a lager, albeit dark. No light penetrates at all. Frothy mocha head on top. I would swear this is big stout. Notes of chocolate, dirty greens, baker’s yeast.

The mouth is creamy smooth and heavier than I’d like. This is really odd for a Schwarzbier. Not as easy-drinking as expected. Really big flavors of chocolate, roasted malts. These flavors are usually nice and mellow with this style, but this is just way too ‘big.’ Imperial Schwarz? Glad I tried this, but this isn’t what I’d reach for when in the mood for this, one of my favorite styles. A miss for me.

More like a disappointing stout than an interesting black lager.

3.05/5  rDev -24.3%

Just cracking the top of the bottle made me reconsider what I was about to get myself into. When I read on the label that this fancy Dirtoir Black Lager was indeed, well, a black lager, I was expecting a tame and slightly dark water to pour out. But the smell was strong with coffee notes, and after falling into the glass, this beer was clearly not what I expected. This sucker was muddy and reasonably thick with a head that's darker than most stouts I dive into. The smell was sweeter than the initial wafts of bitter coffee, with touches of sweet chocolate tickling the olfactory sense. The first sip left a sour taste, though. Literally. The front notes of this beer were just off from the beginning. A slightly off-kilter, clunky, watered-down bitter beer taste scraped against the tongue for the first few seconds before finally getting pounced on by a dry and roasted malt profile. Not exactly the kind of beer that begs for more sips. Throughout the remainder of the glass, the flavor didn't really change all that much, with maybe the sour taste and awkward hop notes disappearing just a bit, but in general, this beer wasn't the most desirable to get through.

This is certainly a beer where the bite was worse than the bark. Based on the color and smell alone, I was expecting a truly astounding schwarzbier. However, what I got was a slightly ill-conceived rendition of the European style that still has some obvious rounding-out to do. It might be highly drinkable if you're a fan of the style and can stomach the weirder sour-bitter flavor near the front but for me, this just didn't quite work. Sometimes, a special edition beer is a good thing-you won't have to see it around for very long.

3.06/5  rDev -24.1%

Sometimes you look at the scores of others on this site, and just sort of say "huh?" And that is my reaction in this particular case. Schwarzbier is not necessarily the most dynamic of styles, but this particular example is full of flavor. I'm just not sure that all that flavor really belongs in a beer of this style and if I really like the flavor that's there.

It pours a pretty thick black - much more like Imperial Stout than Scharzbier. Color is there, but viscosity is off. Aroma was to me less roasty than it was smokey. This was confirmed to me upon my first few sips, which were decidedly smokey and to my mind a bit on the earthy/peaty side. Not light on the tongue like Sprecher Bavarian Black or Kostritzer, which I think of as sort of the American and international standards for the style. The flavor was pungent and not unpleasant, but not really delicious nor appropriate IMO either.

Still, not a bad beer. I bought 2 bottles of this at Blacklick Liquor in Columbus.

3.06/5  rDev -24.1%

This one of those reviews that isn't going to make sense. The number scores are higher than they should be, because this beer doesn't really fit it's style. I would have liked to give it higher scores because I liked the beer.

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a solid black, with a thick, dark brown head that very good retention and lacing. In fact, this beer looked like a porter.

A very rich, roasty, slightly chocolatey aroma greets the nose, and has a satisfying presence. The flavors are very similar to the scents, deep, rich roasted malts and very little hop presence. Again, both of these categories were more like a porter than a lager.

Body and drinkability were both very good, different from what is expected for the style. Overall, a very good beer that would have scored if called a different style, like maybe a Baltic Porter. Worth trying.

3.12/5  rDev -22.6%

3.13/5  rDev -22.3%

C: Black. Coffee colored head about 1/2 inch.

S: Coffee. Chocolate. Little else. No hoppy scent.

T: Taste lacks flavor. The coffee flavor w/ malty combination dominates the beer but lacks character.

M: Low carbonation. Watery flat texure. Low carbonation.

D: Gets boring quickly.