John John Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

"Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels"

Malts: Carastan, Rogue Micro-Barley Farm Dare & Risk malts.
Hops: Saaz, Willamette, Rogue Micro-Farm Hop Yard Revolution hops.
Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

Added by RedBrewer83 on 01-10-2010

3.8

3.69/5  rDev -2.9%

My cousin, Anthony, brought a bottle of it up to Mammoth on our ski/snowboard trip. I poured it from a 22 oz bomber into the closest thing that looks like a pint glass here in our rental condo.

A - Pours over a finger width of head Light amber color, with no carbonation bubbles coming up. The head settles to a nice ring that just floats on top of the beer. There is some lacing left on my glass.

S - I get some faint citrus smells, possibly lemon.. There is some grain mixed in, and maybe light alcohol notes. Kind of lacking for being aged in a whiskey barrel.

T - The flavor of dead guy ale comes through, predominately. There's some other citrus notes mixed in, with maybe a lingering taste of alcohol long...long afterwards in the aftertaste. But the aging in the whiskey barrels really hasn't done that much for this beer.

M - A heavy/syrupy body with plenty of carbonation. I don't really know what style this beer is supposed to represent, but it feels nice. Maybe a touch too much carbonation.

D - Tastes good, alcohol is hidden. It's very drinkable...just not what I was expecting.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

A slightly dull amber body is just a little opaque, with a fine 1 finger head. Smells a bit of green grape, booze, and just a bit of bread. The taste begins with mellow Maibock flavors of bready sweet malt and subtle notes of hops, but the finish on the beer is really impressive: the green grape sweetness is complimented by a fine oak flavor and a hint vanilla. Its like you start drinking a decent pale ale and end with a great chardonnay! The finish is nice and clean. Mouthfeel is on the dry side with effervescent carbonation that contributes to the crisp clean finish. Despite a boozy smell, no alcohol burn can be detected at all-- yet a pleasant alcohol warmth travels down your esophagus and warms your belly with each sip. Its a fascinating brew that manages to be both crisp and refreshing yet still rich and satisfying.

I like it.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Maybe a finger of bubbly white head. Bubbles, hazy amber.

S: Malts, some alcohol, and maybe a little bit of fruity sweetness.

T: Very malty and grainy followed by a kick of hops and some alcohol. The hops help balance the strong sweetness. A weird soapy aftertaste. But overall quite tasty.

M: Full and strong and smooth. With some carbonation to give it a kick. Very nice.

O: Very good. I'd have again; recommended.

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Very interesting beer. The appearance is amber with a good head. The smell is a strong whiskey tinged scent. The taste is good. It doesn't remind me of a maibock, more of a strong amber ale, and the whiskey really comes through nicely. I'm not a storng amber ale advocate, but this balance of flavors is good. One of the best beers I've had by Rogue for a while. The afterttaste is not that great as it rounds out overwhelming maltness without much hop flavor, but it isn't bad. The beer is best while it's in your mouth. It is fairly drinkable although the unique flavor makes me not really want to drink too much of this in one sitting.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Deep tawny hazy orange that leave about a two finger head that fades quickly but maintains a minimal coverage.

S-Sweet caramel malt aroma with small hints of whiskey.

T-Taste follows the nose with the sweet caramel malts with a slight honey sweetness. Then I get a mild whiskey/oak barrel flavor thats not overwhelming and grows stronger as the beer warms up. Also picking up some slight vanilla notes.

M-Noting exceptional, medium body, light carbonation.

O- This whiskey/barrel flavor is very subtle. I really like the beer because dead guy is one of my go to beers and will still get this beer on occasionally in the future, but would have liked a little more of the barrel flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a chalice

A- pours a deep orange golden color. Frothy white thick head, quickly disappears to nothing but a thin white sheet over the liquid.

S- caramel malt, vanilla woody undertones. Earthy funk, mild alcohol ting in the nose.

T- earthy funk. Vanilla woody highlights through out the beer.. earthy hops. A perfect melody.

M- prickly in the mouth followed by a hop bite. Sweet highlight through out the ale
... almost slight creamy in the back.

O- very interesting take on a hells Bock. Dead Guy is a phenomenal ale.... this really highlights it on a slight Bourbon barrel feel... they really did well with timing on the aging of this beer on the wood. If anything longer this would of been a mess

4.18/5  rDev +10%

22 oz bottle poured into 10 oz Allagash chalice.

A: Pours a beautiful apricot with a substantial orange-cream head. This beer looks awesome when held up to the light.

S: Smell is very clean; apricot & orange-blossom honey with a touch of oak. I was expecting this to have a boozy nose, but it has none whatsoever.

T: Hops come through very nicely and citrus/floral notes are in the forefront. The ethanol finally comes through during the finish, along with some oak and vanilla. I was told this was drinking hot, but I think it's quite balanced and pleasant.

M: The mouthfeel is perfect given the style. Hefty carbonation leads to a creamy sensation that starts thin but quickly builds body and coats the tongue after it goes down. Very nice.

D: ABV is rather low, making this quite drinkable. The clean flavors make me gravitate towards another sip quicker than I had expected to. I would've liked to see the whiskey take a bit of a more assertive role, but this is a very nice beer that warrants at least a second purchase.

Very good.

Pours a dark golden hue into a snifter with a limited head. The aroma is primarily of whiskey, with a little of the familiar dead guy aroma hiding behind. At first, the taste is really whiskey like, but gradually, the whiskey flavor fades, and I can taste the beer which lies beneath.

I don't really enjoy whiskey, but I enjoy this beer. The whiskey isn't overwhelming; it's warming but never cloying. The mouthfeel is still pretty light. Overall, I enjoy it, although I miss Dead Guy's hop presence.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A - The beer has a cloudy and amber-colored appearance, which looks very appetizing.

S - My nose isn't refined, so I can't really get into it, but it smells good. For me, I can only smell that it definitely was coming from whiskey barrels. I can smell a whiff of bourbon (maybe?) whiskey emanating from the glass.

T - While tasting this beer, I can taste the whiskey. The beer isn't too overpowering, but it may be a little underwhelming.

M - It really does taste sweet and after swishing the beer, I could taste the whiskey as I swallow. the whiskey after-taste lingers somewhat, but it's not too overpowering.

Overall, I think I hold Goose Island's beers to be the standard where I compare everything else to. Well, Goose Island is the standard when it comes to anybody who attempts to brew beers with whiskey barrels.

However, I still enjoyed this beer as it's refreshing change from the usual IPAs I drink. I can see myself drinking this again when I come back to Oregon visiting my family.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A cloudy amber color with a creamy head that diminished to gook lacing.

The fine smell of oranges and vanilla

I was expecting malt, but the initial taste was citrus, pine, the oak and whiskey presence was in the back, good balance.

Overall a very refreshing and drinkable ale

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a deep caramel color and look a bit on the thicker side. The aroma isn't much there, maybe the beer could of been a little bit warmer then when it was served? At the initial taste it has a bit of caramel taste to it, but much less then the standard Dead Guy Ale. The whiskey flavor is much less then you would hope for. This was an easy to drink beer, but nothing all that special... like I said, going after Curieux is a tough job. give this one a 3.5

John John Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales