Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

John John Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

"Dead Guy Ale aged in Dead Guy Whiskey Barrels"

Malts: Carastan, Rogue Micro-Barley Farm Dare & Risk malts.
Hops: Saaz, Willamette, Rogue Micro-Farm Hop Yard Revolution hops.
Yeast & Water: Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

Added by RedBrewer83 on 01-10-2010

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

I love beer aged in oak and just could not pass this one up.

Appearance 4.0: Gorgeous, deep golden color. Nice, 1/2" head that stuck around for most of the session. Opaque with some particulate matter, which is always a plus in my book. Very nice lacing.

Smell 4.0: Nice nose on this brew. Subdued and somewhat dry, but with a very nice bouquet of corn, oak tannins, malt, vanilla, wood rosin...lovely.

Taste 4.25: Front is slightly tart, but mellow. Middle is where the barley and the oak start to mingle and...wow...what a delicious mingling it is. Also, at this taste level, I detect hints -way in the back of the palate-- of whiskey. Finish features a fantastic vanilla/wood rosin taste mingling with the liquor notes and the light hops along with the malt. Aftertaste is long and features so many flavors, but the oak notes are of special interest to me.

Mouthfeel 3.75: Right on the nose for this style and the tastes they are trying to accentuate.

Overall 4.0: Excellent beer. Reminds me of Innis and Gunn in the old days, before demand forced them to change how they aged their beers. However, I&G never featured taste collages like these. Excellent balance on almost every level and just an all-around fantastic beer. Recommended.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

1.81/5  rDev -52.5%

This beer was TERRIBLE...Just TERRIBLE.
I chilled the beer to 50 degrees and poured it into a 4 ounce snifter.
The color looked good, a golden-brown ale.
Smell was OK, could smell the whiskey barrel aging a bit and thought this might be a decent drink.
Took a mouthful and holy what the heck...a combination of sour elephant dung, decaying squid heads, and pig urine in a thin watery Budweiser-like fluid. This bottle must have been a bad batch...that's all I can honestly think. It was clear though so I think it was a non-infected beer - just horrible as heck.
I paid $12 for this???
So I let it warm up and took a sip every few minutes thinking, "this is going to improve as the temp gets warmer".
No Such Luck. This remained feces in a bottle.
I felt obligated to drink it after dropping so much coin on it so I decided to mix it with a stout to make it palatable. No way, it just ruined the stout.
I dumped out the remaining 14 ounces and I'm so dis-a-frickin-pointed.
I've had a few other Rogue brews and while I'm not an avid fan, they do make a few decent beers (Old Crustacean). ..but this one???OH man If I could get a refund, I would be all over that.

John John Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales