Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: American Porter

Rogue calls this an 'Imperial Porter' on their website.

10 Ingredients:
Malts: C120, C150, Kiln Coffee, Black, Chocolate and Rogue Micro Barley Farm Risk™ malts.
Hops: Summit and Rogue Micro Hopyard Willamette.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast and Free Range Coastal Water.

19º PLATO
76 AA
133º Lovibond

Added by Bitterbill on 02-26-2010

2.22/5  rDev -42.8%

I was told this beer wasn’t going to wow me, but I decided to risk it. At 12.99 a bottle it certainly is priced to impress the hell out of me.
Pours a deep brown but not nearly black body. A tall head forms and dissipates almost as quickly as it formed. Doesn’t look overly thick but it is an imperial porter so I suppose that’s why this is a porter?
Nose has some roasted coffee, a hint of perhaps cocco, some vanilla, and surprisingly a LOT of hop character.
This just isn’t an “imperial” anything. I think other than a touch more abv than is needed there aren’t really any intense flavors here. The Shakespeare, oatmeal, and chocolate stouts all pack more flavor and cost less. You have some coffee, a lot of roasted malt flavors, plenty of hops for a porter, vanilla, and I suppose there are some chocolate notes somewhere in this. I’m not thinking mocha with this beer and I honestly do think that with their regular offering. Honestly, can I get some coffee flavor here?
Based on abv the body is about right though a touch thin. Based on the double rogue lable, it’s way too thin! The body really comes off medium for the stout/porter world. Almost watery for an imperial version. Alcohol is lower than most in these categories, but I can still taste it.
Lately I have been trying to give Rogue a chance. I mean they take up an insane amount of shelf space in a lot of places, and I know people buy their beer. The problem is they just make mediocre beer and charge absurd prices. They have less than 5 beers today worth what they charge for them. They choose the wrong format for most of their beers. They don’t bottle date. I’m sorry but Rogue seems hell bent on being a shitty brewer with great distribution.

FYI price was strongly factored into this review. This is a 36 dollar 6 pack equivalent which might be acceptable for a really world class beer. This is so far from it.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.51/5  rDev -35.3%

One thing that bothers me about using the name Mocha, is that I get almost no coffee flavor from this beer. It's a very solid double porter with a misleading name. for being a double porter, it's pretty good. Heavy on the bittering hops, low on the aroma and flavor to bring out the malt flavors. Nose is dominated by malt and slight alcohol mixed with hops. Tasty, but like I said... where's the coffee?

2.59/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

22oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a pitch black color. Produced a decent tan colored head. Some lace.

(S)- A very dry caramel and raisin profile. Some dark fruits and a mild roasted component.

(T)- Pretty similar to the smell. A dry toasted caramel with some dark fruits. Hints at a coffee character; very subtle though.

(M)- A good carbonation level. A bit bland and not what I expected considering the name. The flavor drops off the palate fairly quick. Its almost thin; more like a brown ale with what I am seeing in front of me.

(D)- Not bad, but maybe Rogue should go back to the drawing board on this one. Definitely was expecting it to taste a certain way due to its name, but this certainly threw me for a loop.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%

From a 750 ml blue enamel bottle. Pours out a deep brown/black, some translucent highlights when held to light. Creamy dense beige head with lasting retention and spongy lacing.

Some sharp roasted and burnt grains rounded out with rich coffee comprises the majority of the aroma.

Flavour is an overload of coffee, abundant bitter coffee. Malt only seems used to colour this beer as none is present in the flavour. Overwhelming coffee and nothing else. Just lots of bitter and astringent coffee.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel, starts thin but the texture fills out, moderate carbonation.

Yet another example of a once fine brewery resting on the laurels of their previous quality core of beers, but not following through or living up to it any more. This may have sounded good on paper or as a concept, but the final product does not deliver. Double Dead Guy stood on its own, but this has no depth or character beyond the original Mocha Porter at all.

2.82/5  rDev -27.3%

serving: poured into glass
Color: very dark, frothy mocha colored head, does not stick
Smell: very faint mocha/malt, not much smell. disappointing as I expected much more mocha. Not sure where people are getting the overload of smell from.
Taste: Light consistency for a dark beer, malt like in taste, not very strong mocha/chocolate taste. Leaves a nice mocha after taste. Slight bitterness not too much.Very easy to drink.

Solid beer but not worthy of a high rating IMO. Good entry level dark beer for someone who does not drink them but would like much more smell and taste.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

Sorry for the stunted review, but until there's an app, it's going to be hard to review beers from bars and restaurants...

Poured very dark brown and left a sticky tan lacing on the pint glass. Looks good.

Smells malty and I can get the mocha (slightly). I expected a stronger nose.

I get the mocha taste, but it's more malt (like malted milk) than mocha. Slightly bitter, maybe too overly hopped.

The body is a little too watery for my preference. It is disappointing.

Overall, it's not bad, but it didn't blow me away.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle, shared and split into pint glasses.

A: Dark, with a one finger mocha head. Looks like a Porter should, maybe a little darker all around.

S: roasted malt bitterness. Maybe a hint of chocolate or something else sweet (milk, fruit) but its 99% roasted malt.

T: About the same as the smell. The roasted malt is pretty bitter in my opinion, a little like espresso beans. Very faint chocolate flavors. Bitterness dominates.

MF: Thick and full bodied, with some bite.

D: Fairly low for me; I wasn't impressed with this offering.

3.14/5  rDev -19.1%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a pitch brown body, possibly black, with two fingers of light mocha head filling the remainder of the glass. The receding head is composed of dense, creamy-looking bubbles. The head leaves tons of sticky lace down the sides of the tulip, in all 3 pours.

S: It's grainy, with a roasted component to it; cocoa powder is noticed. I don't pick up much coffee in the nose. Some earthy, floral notes to it.

T: I pick up more coffee than I got in the smell; the cocoa is pronounced, too. The beer lives up to its name. The hops aren't too bitter; they produce a perfumey, earthy flavor that is kind of like fresh, grassy dirt. Grains are prominent in the finish, with a roastiness that imparts some bitterness and dryness in the aftertaste.

M: Medium-plus bodied, with a shade under medium carbonation. Semi-dry, which is especially impressive for the ABV. The bubbles are fine and silky. It's quite good here.

D: A solid beer, though I find myself thinking that the regular Mocha Porter is a superior beer. It feels less heavy and seems to have a more complex flavor. I am also not thrilled about the $15 price tag (though I didn't pay it).

Double Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales