Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale | Rogue Ales

Liked:
3.64/5
Alströms:

3.67/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.56/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with two finger of head that fade slowly with thick lacing. Grainy malt and piney hops combine in the aroma. The body is much thinner than I was expecting, and along with a strong, slightly harsh bitterness is the dominate characteristics of this beer. The bitterness is sharp and earthy, with just the slightest hint of malt sweetness. The finish is lingering with an unpleasant bitterness. Not a great beer - the single malt bill doesn't have what it takes to balance the hop profile and really holds this beer back.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

4.26/5  rDev +17%

I had this on draft at Mellow Mushroom while waiting patiently for the Mrs. It poured a hazy golden color, I didn't realize it was a blonde ale given then name when I ordered it, so that came as a bit of a surprise. The taste was floral almost under yeast and malts, and was actually quite nice. There was decent lacing on the glass, but not a ton of staying power. Good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

3.93/5  rDev +8%

Hazy orange-yellow with a creamy, quarter-inch white head that remains.
Smell is crackery malts with some caramel tones. Some toffee and faint brown sugar as well.
Taste is bready, buttery malts with some light hops. Finish is malty and slightly bitter.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Finish is slightly watery.
Drinkability is very good. Well-rounded beer.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Slightly hazy amber topped with a large tan head. Head fades slowly and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet aromas of pineapple, citrus, and some malt.

T- Sweet pineapple at first that is soon wash away by a slightly bitter grapefruit middle and finish. The finish is dry and clean.

M- Medium in body and decent carbonation.

D- An easy drinker for me, not sure of the ABV but my guess is that it is low 4-5% range. I think I could session this one.

Solid beer not stellar but solid.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

22 oz. bottle poured into a Sams Perfect Pint glass.

I rarely comment on the appearance of the bottle itself, but in this case, I think it deserves a mention.

The bottle is extraordinarily informative, giving the exact latitude/longitude of all their hop yard and Barley farm. They list every malt used, every hop used, the yeast used, the plato, ibu, and alpha acid.

But they don't list the ABV. ???

The beer pours a very clear light gold. There is a big head that lingers for a few minutes, but fades away leaving a nice lace behind.

The nose is crisp and clean - though simple - that really displays their hops.

With lots of carbonation in the mouth, the taste is citrusy and hoppy, but this evolves beautifully into a wonderful toasted malt finish. For me, this finish is really what elevates this beer from an average beer to something a bit better.

Overall a well made, and well balanced beer that really doesn't try to do too much. It's clean, it's refreshing, it's got a very pleasant (though not complex) hop profile that takes center stage up until the finish, at which point their Dare Malts shine. Additionally, the beer has a great value: I only paid $6. Well worth the price, and a nice refreshing brew.

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.74/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.82/5  rDev +32.4%

Update 5/14/2011:

I would say the beer pours slightly hazy gold/orange (had said crystal clear). The head was crazy: big, fluffy, fully three inches before it started falling off. I continue to think this is a near-perfect beer and will try to stockpile what I can along with Sierra Nevada Estate.

I'm standing by my assertion that some reviews seem to be reviewing how they felt about the name ON the bottle and not the liquid IN the bottle. Now that the anti-Rogue hysteria has passed somewhat (with Goose Island's InBev deal taking the heat now) perhaps we can get some meaningful reviews.

Original Review:

Pours from the bottle golden with a ful inch of light head. Beer is crystal clear with lovely tiny bubbles rising from the glass maintaining the froth for quite a while.

Smell is rich: healthy, earthy, sweet, biscuit malts supporting sharp, piney, tart hops that grow drier as the beer warms to room temperature. Taste is deep: starts with richness and earthy bitterness with tastes of dried grass, plum, honey, oats, and cereal grain; rich and fruity with a mineral complexity like produce harvested from a virgin field: all the elements of the soil are imparted to the grain. The hops are spicy with subtle citrus and pine, but those are later, lingering hints and the first wave is a spicy oscillation from black pepper to coriander seed.

Maddeningly drinkable, the body is medium. I wish it had more butteriness, but that is my own quibble with this near-perfect beer. Lovely, and I was happy to share it with an appreciative group.

My response to this beer is unreservedly positive, and I have to think that some reviewers are allowing their negative feelings for Rogue to cloud their palates. I shared a 22oz. with friends, and the response was overwhelmingly positive among a wide range of beer appreciation, from hopheads and homebrewers to "Miller Lite treats me just fine."

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Bottle to pint glass. Nice head on the beer, very white, and about 1/4 inch. Consistent carbonation makes me thing this will stay throughout. Beer is a nice orange/yellow pale color. I expected this beer to be a darker color and malt character just by looking at the bottle.

Smells slightly fruity/earthy, which is probably from the hops. The taste is pretty tart at first, but smooths out a bit through the drink. The bitterness hits first and doesn't let any of the malt come through. It's carbonation gives the beer an almost thin taste which makes me think they used some sort of priming sugar instead of more malt for bottle conditioning, even though the label says it's made with 4 local ingredients.

I like the idea of this beer and I'm glad I tried it because I've often thought of growing barley and am growing hops right now in my backyard. I don't think I would reach for it again based on flavor, but I might. It is a well disguised high gravity beer.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden with some orange hues, capped by a billowing two finger white head. Retention is good and some light lacing is left down the glass.

S: Aroma is somewhat muted - light malt base with earthy hops and some strong citrus notes, predominantly lemon zest and a touch of orange.

T: Light grain base up front, followed by a strong lemon character and some light green apple. Piney and earthy hops come in strong and dominate the second half of the sip, leading to a bitter and slightly citric finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly prickly on the tongue.

D: Goes down fairly easily, but not interesting enough to want more than one of.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked this up at the local bottle shop for 30% off. The appearance is a light cloudy gold in color, with a thick white head. The smell is a nice fresh hop aroma. Slight spiciness. The flavor continues in that vein, but adds a subtle sweetness, and the spice now tastes more like a pepper/rye. The mouthfeel is fine, if slightly cloying. Overall a nice blonde ale, and certainly one of the better blonds I have had.

Rogue Farms Single Malt Ale from Rogue Ales