Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,455 |  Reviews: 1,615

I think I had to grow to love this beer. And, three years later, I feel completely confident revising my 4.3 to a perfect 5. The beer is exactly the same as it's always been, but I'm a better man.

Shakespeare Stout is the first growth Bordeaux of beer. Its lush fudgy taste balanced by the best use of Cascade hops in the U.S. Yes, better than any I.P.A.

The bitter citrus is a wondrous foil for the chocolate. And it adds edge to the otherwise creamy texture. Yeah, the Brits would have just left it creamy--maybe relying on a bit of minerality from their water to balance it. Rogue don't need no mineral. They've got hops. And I'll take delicate hops over limestone any day.

Looking back on my experience with beer over the past several years and drinking this today, I realized my proudest moment was probably when I tried to clone this--and it came out exactly the same. For one day, I played tennis with the gods.

Pours a beautiful thick black with a large 3 finger brown head that hangs around leaving a lace down the glass. The smell of the cascade hops and roasted chocolate are evident and smells absolutely delicious. Wow! Great brew with flavors of chocolate roasted malt with the hops balanced superbly and the chocolate hangs around to the end. This beer has a very creamy mouthfeel and leaves your mouth begging for another swallow. Only my second perfect 5 in 100 reviews. I couldn't find anything wrong with it, period! What a way to enter the mug club and I was saving it for that! Cheers!

This is similar to Rogue's more traditional Shakespeare Stout, though I find that the Oatmeal stout his a lighter flavor but maintains the chocolaty aroma.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales