Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,597 | Ratings: 3,385
4.45/5  rDev +7%

A delicious stout. Just sweet enough, without being cloying. Lovely syrupy aftertaste. As drinkable as they come.

Is this my favorite stout of all time? It just might be. Rogue got everything right on this one.

The only negative thing I can say about this stout is that it is a bit pricey. I paid around $4.25 for a 22 oz. bomber. But I wouldn't hesitate to pay it again to enjoy this beer.

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

Dark brown, near black. Tan head about 1 finger, decent retention, with minimal lacing.

Smell is mild chocolate, coffee, and oatmeal. Not a ton going on. Needs to be a bit more forward.

taste is of bitter chocolate, some roasted coffee, and some dark fruits. Better than the smell, but still could use something more.

Smooth, but was missing the creamy thick mouthfeel that I expected. Mouthfeel needs to be beefed up. In the end, it ends up to dry.

Drinkability is hurt by the dryness. Not exactly what I would want from the style. It was ok, but was lacking to me. I would have it again, but won't be seeking it out anytime soon.

Poured from a bottle into an imperial pint glass

A-- Opaque black pour with nice 2 finger mocha brown/espresso colored creamy head lacing the glass as I go
S-- Roasted malts, chocolate and slight hops coffee
T-- Light, hints of bitter chocolate and roasted malts, coffee finish is a little bitter
M-- Light and little to no carbonation maybe a little chewy
D-- a wonderfully balanced stout.. another please

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from 650 ML bottle into glass.

A- Looks like a stout... Opaque dark brown and about a half finger of small cream-colored head that disappears quickly. A fair amount of nice lacing. No carbonation visible (will come back to this later).

S- As one would expect, primarily cooked oatmeal. Also chocolate, biscotti, and mocha... Smells like a delicious stout, hoping the taste follows.

T- The most amazing thing about this stout is how crisp it is... I might even call it refreshing, an adjective I don't typically attribute to stouts. Although I can't see any carbonation, there's a decent amount here... Definitely surprised me (in a good way). The taste is mostly what you would anticipate: oats, slightly bitter mocha, light chocolate. Lingering smokey aftertaste.

M- As I said above, the carbonation here was the big surprise for me. Very refreshing with a medium-light body (for a stout). Finishes relatively clean and dry.

O- In a style dominated by overpowering, high ABV, thick-as-motor-oil stouts, this beer stands out as a shining example of a simpler, lighter stout that still has plenty of gusto. I keep coming back to this beer, and it remains one of my favorites from the Rogue family.

3.95/5  rDev -5%

A - Authentic dark stout appearance. Healthy head that dissipates quickly.

S - Strong oat hues mixed with roasted barley.

T - Smooth, woodsy fireplace beer. Authentic stout taste and consistency. Comparable to cask served.

M - Smooth, smooth, smooth

O - This is an authentic stout that I would recommend to anyone looking to adventure into the world of stouts. Excellent consistency, color, taste, and appearance.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

From one of favorite breweries, Rogue, from Oregon. Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout is my standard for Oatmeal Stout, and this is almost as good. Rogue seems to alway knows how to make sure the brew has character. This outmeal stout is smooth, and, at the same time, has that kick that Rogue loves to add. Pours thick, little lacing or head, a bit musty espresso followed by a slight bitterness. Excellent, maybe great, but not perfect.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

A- Pours a solid black with a light brown head

S- Roasted Malts, chocolate and espresso

T- I like this a little more than the Rogue Chocolate stout. The difference b/t the two is that I find this beer to be more roasted. In the Chocolate stout all you taste is chocolate but in the Shakespeare stout you can taste the chocolate as well as some good sweet coffee with a nutty backbone.

Food Pairing- I made beer braised chicken with this and it was really good.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

You better come thirty for this bad boy or its money wasted. Let’s start with the oversized behemoth of a 1 pint 6oz bottle for around $7. I can’t drink that much stout after work and would love a smaller 4 pack option. The pour was good with lots of rich creamy brown head. Has a nice sweet fruity smell that puts my grinning face deep into the glass. My thoughts are easily lost in deeply roasted malts and tantalizing bitterness. It has everything that I like in oatmeal stout, but the cocoa was a bit overpowering for me in the aftertaste near the end of the bottle. Nitpicking the logical minds, Shakespeare didn’t know chocolate, so maybe they should rename this beer to imply what it really is, Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Anyways, in short there is nothing unexpected, just a good stout with lots of sweet and bitter flavors. Only negative is the price and size limits the purchase options from me without a friend to share it with.

3.15/5  rDev -24.3%

Poured to a mason jar

A – black opaque with a 1 finger beige head that lingers and dissipates slowly . Some lacing.

S – Roasted malts, very little coffee , maybe even some fruitiness/raisin,plum.

T- Roasted malts, , faint nuttiness. bitterness that lingers throughout. No pleasantries just left with a bitter aftertaste.

MF – mild dry finish, carbonation is a little much. This is my first Oatmeal Stout. I will be in pursuit of more Oatmeal Stouts to compare it to.

Summary: the price point was right for sure, but if the taste isn't there i wont go back.

**I enjoyed the Roguee Chocolate Stout much more:)

4.49/5  rDev +7.9%

This one is addictive!! Jet black appearance with a creamy, ever so slight, tan head that crawls down the glass as you drink it. Smell can't be beat for me....roasty, coffee, slight hints of chocolate, all at the perfect 'strength'. I love the smell of this one! Taste has some bitterness, sweetness, and coffee to it, with a possible slight alchohol warmth, particularly in the finish. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy, but not quite as thick as a Chocolate Stout. Drinkability only gets a 4 for me, as it is sweet and thick....but, it is still a very drinkable stout to be as thick as it is. One of the best!

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Served out of 22oz bottle

This beer pours pitch black, when held up to the light no trace of any other color. A nice tan colored head forms but disapates fairly quickly. Smells of piney hops a bit of citrus coming through. Along with coffee, and chocolate. Medium bodied stout that feels good in the mouth. A clean finish with mild hops on the nose. A great stout and will drink(buy) again.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A pour from a bomber produces a thick and frothy head, beautiful brown and chocolaty. A rich looking dark beer, with a dense mouthfeel, but not heavy. Nothing like those watery nitro-infused stouts. An aroma of burnt malt comes to you, then a full taste, with slight roasted notes and chocolate aftertaste. A pleasure to drink. A great stout and my favorite offering from Rogue. Try it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

In my poodonk town of Sarasota, Florida and my favorite beer pub, the Cock and Bull, (number 6th in the nation) there is a sign hanging up that proclaims this to be the best stout in America. Rogue hung this sign up after the last beer fest we had back in January and I've been staring at it for 5 months debating whether or not I should try it. So, last night I felt in a stout/porter mood, so I bought this beer.

Appearance: Jet Black with nice head and loads of lace.

Smell: Mild roasted malts, caramel, and bitter hops.

Taste: First of the night and it didnt stand a chance, I downed this 22 oz. bomber like it was water. Excellent complexity of all ingredients.

Mouthfeel: Light and caramel background.

Drinkability: Would make a nice Black and Tan with perhaps a Grimbergen Dubbel.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

I poured my Shakespeare Stout from a 750ml bottle. It appeared pitch-black in the glass with a nice tan head. The aromas were of chocolate, but a little sweet. No sweetness was there when I drank it. Very thick and velvety. Tastes of coffee and unsweetened chocolate. Pretty dry and bitter finish. Extremely nice. A dessert in itself.

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%

Let me start off to say that this beer really smells quite different, and not good in my opinion, the palate differs though. I will start off with the good to say there is plenty of chocolate marsh mellows, but really has quite a bit of medicinal notes that are very present. The beer almost smells like a cleaning agent to some sort, to what causes this i'm not certain. To the palate- a different story. The taste infuses chocolate, cinnamon and gingerbread that has a balance of some bitter hops. I like this beer, but the nose is incredibly weird. One of the few beers where the nose is off, and the taste is on

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This stout poured black with no hint of any other color. A thick, creamy, medium tan head quickly developed and stayed around for two to three drinks. As the head dissipated, it left behind a nice set of lacework, which also reappeared after each drink. It smelled of dark roasted grain and coffee.

The taste was better than I expected. It was slightly sharp with a nice roasty malt flavor with hints of coffee and little to no bitter after taste. It was not as heavy as I expected, there was little carbonation, and left a dry feeling after each drink.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

22 oz. Bottle

Pours a dark black with a tanish brown big frothy head. Hints of red can be seen on the edges of the glass when held up to the light.

Roasted malts dominate the nose followed by toasted oats, smells a lot like an oatmeal stout. A hoppy citrus character pulls through in the end giving this brew a very nice, balanced aroma.

The roasted malts really show they're power and own the initial flavor, again followed by a hint of toasted oats. Hop bitterness follows, nicely balancing the brew and leaving your mouth dry and begging for more. A chocolately aftertaste pushes this stout far above most brews of the same style. This brew defines balance.

Overall, another outstanding Rogue brew. They continue to impress with every style and make me wonder why I live on the East Coast. A must try for any American stout or oatmeal stout fan.

4.07/5  rDev -2.2%

A-- jet black...no light from my flame passes through...dark creamy sticky lacing and head...almost looks like bubbles in chocolate milk..

S--definet chocolate and coffee on the nose first...hops in the backround...cascade i believe...light oat smell...very inviting..

T--immediate roasted malts and chocolate flavors...gives way to slight hops but that could be due to the bottle sitting to long as the first time i had this the hops were very present..malty and a bit sweet but not at all near cloying..just right..

M+D-- thought it would be thicker than it is but it is still a touch creamy...making it very drinkable and easy going...can finish a whole bomber easily and then some..

3.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a pint glass. Beautiful khaki head with good retention and nice lacing.

Smell is of chocolate and a nice earthy-ness.

Taste and mouthfeel were extremely rich with a good roasted flavor and plenty of bitter. Very nice.

Drinkability was decent, a little too much roasted flavor for me to want more than one at a time.

OVerall this was a pretty good beer. Not my style of choice, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours almost black out of the bottle, looks black in the glass. Ample amount of light brown, foamy head.
S - Smell is slightly sweet, subtle note of chocolate.
T - Taste is dry and earthy with a bitter chocolate aftertaste.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy and creamy.
D - Very drinkable Nice even flavors, no rough edges. Good for a heavy beer, maybe a little filling though.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark black, small brown head dissipates quickly, leaving behind minimal lacing.
S: Very roasty. Smells of freshly ground coffee.
T: Super smooth, nice dark malt character, burnt cookies. Mildly sweet.
M: Very dry, clean feel to it.
D: Good, but I think I'd really have to be in the mood to have this one again.

4.61/5  rDev +10.8%

You can't judge a beer by its bottle, but looking at this beer you can figure it will be tasty. I opened this beer and started to pour it into a glass and found it to have a very nice, very rich dark brown (almost black) color and a VERY nice light brown head. the head was thick and lasted for quite some time and left a heavy lace throughout the drink. As I havent drank many stouts, I was unfamiliar with the aroma but once I tasted the beer I realised what the smell meant and found it to be enjoyable. And as for the taste. this was a fantastic beer. very complex. it had a nice bold flavour without being overpowering. It was a relativly easy beer to drink, but I would imagine one bomber is about all I would want to drink at a time. not cause it gets old, but because it is a slow drink and leaves you full and satasfied. overall, I would recomend picking up a bottle you can get your hands on as it is one of the best stouts I have ever had.

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured opaque black with very small, brown head, which dissipated quickly.

Coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt aroma. A bit of citrus.

The hops kind of smack you in the face. The roast malt and coffee are underneath but are overpowered by the hops. Very flavorful and complex.

Acidic feel. Low carbonation. Heavy body

The hops are a bit too much for my personal taste, but if you like hops, you will love this stout. Nice change of pace, but I will probably not make this one a regular purchase.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

had this a while ago recovering my notes from last summer

pours black with very tan head that is thick smells of chocolate roasted coffees and malts also there tasted of chocolates with roasted coffee and one can detect the presence of some hops this all mixes together to make one great beer

ive had this beer many times and i definitely recommend it to anybody who loves stouts

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber into Imperial Pint

Ebony color with rich browning head.

Immediate roasted aroma. Very close in smell to a smoked beer.

The dark roast dominated the flavor. Hints of chocolate, campfire, cedar, moss.

For a stout with oatmeal to create a creamier texture, it was thin and biting. I have possibly been spoiled by my nitro-homebrew stout I always keep on-tap. But to me, a stout, especially one with oatmeal, should be full and creamy in the mouth, whether nitro or none.

I finished the bottle, but the drinkability was only average.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales