Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,488 |  Reviews: 1,625
3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Pours a deep brown-based black with 2 fingers of brown, chunky head that dissipates quickly to a ring of brown foam that falls quickly.

S- A fairly fruity malt scent smells of raisins and other dried fruits. Very light hop scent.

T- Malty, slightly grainy with a light chocolate taste.

M- Moderate mouthfeel with light carbonation. Sweet aftertaste. Quite light -- pretty good.

D- Quite drinkable. Enjoyable and not too heavy.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

A- 3in puffy chocolate mousse head really dark brown with great retention and lots of sticky lace over a deep brown almost black brew with orange/ruby highlights.

S- oats and coffee, roasted malt, slight cocoa and sour hops, toasty wood, mushroom, dark burnt fruit, soy sauce, hop resin, dark rum, molasses

T- slightly smoky charred wood, soy sauce, burnt granola, a dab of citrus (from the hops?) cigar tobacco, toasted oats, earthy soil, and a coffee ground smoke aftertaste.

MF- crisp and resinous, mid-low carbonation, coating and filling

D- a very worthy stout

4.11/5  rDev -0.7%

P: 650 ML. Dark Brown bottle.

A: Black oil pour, two fingers of thick intense dark espresso foam that slowly dissolves into a slight cover and lacing galore.

S: thin and grainy grapefruit pith with deep undertones of espresso roast and a slight sweet finish

T: Intense rush and bite of sharp grain then a dark roasted coffee finish with a flight grain finish to the tongue.

M: Surprisingly thin, but very complex as it starts with a burst of sharp hops then setles down for the roasted expresso with just a dab of sweetness. Hops meets a stout and the hops almost win.

D: Definitly not a session. This one needs to be sipped, savored and studied to do it justice as I found it to be really complex and really changed in character as it warmed, started at 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
This is a hop lovers stout, but a great exercise for the stout lovers.

3.87/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured out of the large bottle a wonderful pitch black, almost like an onyx gem, the way it reflected light. It had a wonderful tan head and great lacing. Not much of a scent, though, very little to detect beyond some roasted grains. Nice taste, a very nice roasted flavor, seemed more like a dry Irish stout than an American, but good nonetheless. Not many other characteristics to the taste, though. Goes down great, very smooth.

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance - Dark, chocolate appearance with a thin layer of head. The head is consistently noticeable throughout the time of drinking the beer.

Smell - Deep aroma of malt and cocoa.

Taste - The taste at first can be quite overwhelming. However, after a few more sips, the beer settles in well. The cocoa aroma translates really well into the flavor.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability - Low carbonation = empty bottle. I truly savored the beer, and I realized after a while that I was done with this bottle. I could enjoy another bottle or two in one sitting. I noticed that it complimented the cool weather outside. Def. a late fall beer.

3.07/5  rDev -25.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic, Shakespeare Stout is a pitch black with garnet edges when held to light, with a huge, thick rocky tan head that is slow to recede and leaves big hunks of foam. Pretty much as good as it gets stout wise, although without being to anal, some of the bubbles are to big for my taste.

Aroma is dusty coco with a bit of citrus hops, but overall pretty soft. The roast comes out more as it warms, but overall it's still not too impressive.

Taste is very robust and quite roasty, boarding on burnt, but cut by the citrus hops and a bit of chocolate, before the acrid, bitter, lingering finish. It rounds out a bit as it warms, but is still rather astringent.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, but a little oily. However, the body is much lighter then it looks.

Drinkability is average. I have to say I don't see what all the fan fare is about, it's just too acrid for my taste...I could use more coffee and less coffee grinds. That being said, the body is pretty light and the ABV modest enough that it went down easy enough, particularly as it warmed. Still, I'll take Rogue's Chocolate Stout over this every time.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz. brown bomber into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Deep dark brown with tinges of black. Pours with a thick dark tan head that settles nice and slowly. Slippery lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Chocolatey with roasted sugars are most prevalent, including some oaky/earthy malts. Slight hints of some deep fruit, and possibly maple sugars? Deep whiffs reveal a tiny piney hop scent.
T: Chocolate/coffee malts all the way, with an undulating sweetness that is most prevalent in the midtaste. The finish brings a smooth yet slightly smoky taste. Other flavors that show up are some light sugary spices, and a creamy caramel.
M: Quite nice. Full-bodied, for sure, but never too filling or heavy. Nicely creamy in the finish.
D: Pretty good. Definitely a sipping beer.

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nearly black color with minimal lacing.

Smells and tastes exactly like a strong coffee. Unfortunately, that's all it tastes like. I remember this beer being much more complex. But, after having it tonight, I feel as though it's a decent stout, but there are definitely better ones on the market.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours out a very dark brown, almost black with a big chocolate milk head that dies slow to a ring. Smells of mild cocoa, mild coffee and a slight hop twinge. Taste as it smells with coffee and roasty notes coming forth bigger and bigger as it warms. A nice bitter hop bite on the finish. Medium in the mouth and very smooth. Nicely drinkable. An american classic stout.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

I poured this beer at 48º from a 22 ounce bottle. There was no date information located on the bottle. It was poured into an Imperial pint glass and a 2 finger rich, chocolate foamy head resulted. This lasted for about 5 minutes with lacing as is subsided. This was almost a black beer.

This was definitely a stout with that full bodied, slight chocolate aroma rising from the glass. The bouquet was very inviting.

Decadent coffee and chocolate lingered from the first sip. At first I thought about letting the taste subside before the next sip but then I came to my senses and started quaffing away. This was very nice and smooth with just a tinge of bitterness to give it a slight bite which I liked.

This beer lasted for a while in the mouth with good acidity and balance. There is nothing disappointing with the way this stout treated me.

The lacing continued throughout the first few sips and this evaluation. As I sit here looking at this dark and lovely beverage, I think it is time to terminate this review and get down to the task at hand. No excuses!

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I tend to be very picky about my stouts, and I have some pretty high expectations given how good I know they can be. The bottle lists the ingredients, which of course includes Rogue's trademark Pacman yeast, as well as chocolate malts, cascade hops, and oats.

I poured it into my tulip glass, noting that the head remained somewhat small throughout the pour. The finger's worth of foam was mocha-brown in color, and the liquid itself was the deep, murky black of a good coffee.

The aromas were surprisingly faint, but they hinted at vanilla, dark chocolate, and burnt coffee beans, with only the most vague trace of hops. It fits the profile of a stout well-enough, but I kept expecting a bigger smell.

However, the taste leaves virtually nothing to be desired. Most stouts can capture the necessary flavors reasonably well, but this one delivers them with a richness and boldness that is rare. Butterscotch, vanilla, chocolates, coffee, with a bit of dairy/cream...it's like a dream. The hops seem to be present only to remind the drinker that it is in fact a beer that is being consumed, not a liquid brownie. The very slight bite keeps the flavors perfectly balanced all the way through the finish.

Just as I was surprised by the lack of punch in the aromas, however, the mouthfeel is a bit of a letdown. In contrast to the fullness of the taste, it feels a bit thin. This might be because of the molasses feel I'm used to having with Imperial stouts. Either way, it isn't too terrible, and it doesn't take away from the incredible taste.

It's so drinkable that I had restrain myself from gulping it down. I poured about half the bottle initially, put a stopper in it and stuck it back in the fridge for a few days to see if the aromas might emerge. I pulled it back out about 20 minutes ago to no avail, unfortunately. But I'm perfectly content drinking it the way it is. A brilliant stout, this is.

3.24/5  rDev -21.7%

Let me start this off by saying I love everything Rogue. Sadly I'm just underwhelmed. I think this bottle may be a bit old, but with what I drank I can't possibly see why everyone rates it so well

Appearance: So black I couldn't see even a hint of light through it when i held it next to a 60W bulb. The head betrayed it... too foamy, too lacey, not thick like you'd expect from such a dark stout.
Smell: burt and woody, a hint of ash, a bit dirt
Taste: Kinda plain. Burnt, a bit ashy. Also it's dark. And burnt. And ashy
Mouthfeel: very thin for a stout. Not entirely unpleasant. I could drink a lot more of this than most stouts, not cuz it's good, but because it has a nice dark flavor without really filling me up at all.
Finish: Clean, plain. Not bad.

Also, I = we....
JB&KW

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz bomber, served in a pint glass.

A - almost black in color with a good sized, dark tan/brownish head that fell some, leaving some lacing behind.

S - good, roasted coffee and roasted malt aroma.

T - very good taste, rich flavors of roasted coffee, a hint of chocolate, roasted malt and a slightly bitter espresso coffee finish. IMO, a very well balanced and flavorful stout.

M - medium/full bodied without feeling too heavy or thick.

D - I should have bought 2 bombers... oh well, next time!

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at Brew House Grill

A--Dark brown with a small tan colored head. Very little lacing.

S--Coffee, with hints of chocolate and prune. Not a huge amount of aroma but it is there.

T--Roasted coffee and mild chocolate. A hint of prune / raisin Aftertaste bitter roasted malt (in a good way) and chocolate.

M--Very rich and full bodied. This is a very pleasant and easy drinking full stout.

D--Lovely, refreshing stout. Went well with my AYCE king crab...didnt overpower the meal at all. One I could drink again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a nice big thick billowing tan head. The head dissapates quickly. Dark black/ruby in color.

Smells of creamy malts, flan, and chocolate. A balance of hop whifes the nose.

This tastes different then I expected from the smell. Opfront is bisquity burnt malts. Currents and other spices present. Good oily hop aftertaste. Seems like an exceptional balance to this brew.

Mouthfull is "semi chewy" I want to EAT the rest of this beer. Very creamy, very smooth carbonation. A classic. I want to session this beer VERY soon. Ther is nothing over the top. Just an exceptional balanced stout.

4.48/5  rDev +8.2%

What would life be like without a bit of Shakespeare. This has been a long time favorite. Pours a very dark brown with tan head that does not last. Smell has lots of coffee and chocolate. The taste has lots of bitterness and it can be a bit of a mouthfeel. Maybe a little to much but hey I like big beers but one 22oz bottle is usually enough.

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

What an awesome experience.
A Esspresso brown with a carmel colored head, great lacing.

S Reminded me of mollasses, sweet, pungent and enticing

T Hoppy for a stout, not excessivly bitter, nice chocolate/coffee mix with a little citrus rind mixed in.

M Can I say heaven in my mouth?

D I would have to say Yes, draft, bottle or from someone elses glass

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours with a large brownish head. A fair amount of lacing is left behind as the foam settles atop the black colored stout.

Smells of caramel, a fair amount of citric hops for a stout ( nothing wrong with that), roasted malt and coffee.

I really enjoyed the taste and drinkability of this stout. Lots of matly coffee goodness along with some chocolate and a hoppy zing.

4.11/5  rDev -0.7%

Thick creamy head that rivals a cold-deck pint of Guinness. Color is a deep brown, rivaling the bottle. The head lingers as I drink the beer leaving long laces along the side I tip to my mouth. The smell of the beer is the only part that is lacking. I catch only a hint of roasted malts and chocolate. The beer tastes wonderful. This is where I found the roasted malts and chocolate flavors I yearn and some well balanced hints of hops to round out the beer. It is velvety on the tongue and the flavors linger as I swallow. Quite drinkable although the 22oz bottle can take awhile to finish.

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

From the very first whiff I could tell that this stout is going to be thick. The aroma was very roasty, and it flowed like chocolate syrup out of the bottle to form a very large latte colored head.

I was slightly disappointed by this stout's taste as far as complexity and intensy, but it was still very delicious. The best way to describe it would be like dark chocolate covered espresso beans, which became more bitter as the beer warmed up. And the mouthfeel was positively heavy.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

A - A dark brown brew with a huge brown head with a nice cascading effect before it calms. Without a careful pour, this one is all head. It leaves small specks of lacing all down the sides of the glass. Lacing really doesn't hold its weight, especially among stouts.

S - Coffee, chocolate. Hint of elderberries. That is all I am pulling out and it isn't very strong, but it is nice.

T - At first there is a cocoa flavor with some light coffee. The slightest hint of dark fruit. Aftertaste is of bitter charred malt and a hint of fading chocolate.

M - Carbonation was at little high, especially when poured in such a manner to prevent having all head. Thin and very refreshing.

D - Very, a refreshing pleasant stout with a low abv and a nice flavor. I was expecting a more powerful stout, not the lighter subdued "session stout" that this is. I might have this again if found on tap.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a complete black with a very generous two finger tan colored head that dies down to a nice frothy layer. Stickiness is pretty good with a nice wall of lacing all over the sides. Smell is a nice milk chocolate up front that masks a nice hop tingle. Sweet caramel mixes in well with an hint of espresso. Solid, complex smell for a 6%-er. Taste is a bit disappointing to be honest. Stale coffee flavor up front with a tiny hint of smokey caramel. Not much else, pretty basic on the tongue. Was expecting much more from the smell, but I learned my lesson not to assume. Moutfhfeel is surprisingly light bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Decent brew, but really thought there would be more in terms of flavor.

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

I realize this is a well reviewed beer here on Beeradvocate, but in general, I just have to disagree.

Pours with a dark brown/black body, very opaque, and a nice creamy head. Quite attractive. The smell is interesting ... lots of coffee and ... hops?

Flavor is coffee, dark chocolate, but instead of cherries, prunes, or figs, there is a definite mixture of grapefruit-ish hops here. Strange, to say the least. Almost like a stout with more than a few oz. of IPA mixed in. I didn't care for the combination.

I realize this is a low ABV beer, but the mouthfeel and taste were somewhat thin for a beer of this type. A decent stout, but nowhere near one of my favorites.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Snatched the 650ml bottle from Community Beverage back in early-August and had the will power not to drink it until last night. Poured out deep dark brown, almost black. Very little head with moderately-gentle pour. Lacing was amazingly thin. Smelled of roasted hops/malts, sweet malts, chocolate , and coffee. Delicious taste. Quite full-bodied and the roasted flavors are quite pronounced. Unlike Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout (one of my personal favorites), this brew has a more subtle chocolate and coffee taste and the alcohol level is perfect. Deliciously smooth and a wonderful brew. Completely warranted of its high ranking and rating.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

22 ounce bomber from BevMo in Torrance split with my dad tonight

Had to do another stout for my 200th review on here

Poured into a Firestone pint glass and was almost black with a 1/2 tan head that did not really go anywhere

Smell was purwly chocolate malt

Taste was roasted oats and barley, had a nice spicy bite to it and the finish was a little bitter as well, interesting stout and very good

Could drink a lot more of this than I did, very smooth and alcohol content is not too high

I am glad this normally available at most liquor stores I visit

Highly recommended and one of the best Rogue brews I have had

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales