Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,600 | Ratings: 3,407
3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Solid black with brown at the edges, creamy thick head. Potent odor of roasted barley and burnt flavors. Big malt characteristics, twinges of coffee and a good deal of strong bitter chocolate, some caramel and a slight butteriness deep down. Very mild sweetness and a big hunk of oat. Hop bitterness is attenuated by the burnt malt flavors but the dryness is extremely prominent. Mild hints of grasses and green vegetables as well as slightly offputting brown sugar and molasses. A very thick, sticky beer which is not cloying thanks to the hop dryness. Still not a particularly good session stout - I discovered this the hard way. It's a good beer, but unworthy of all the acclaim; perhaps this and Sierra Nevada are the prototypical West-Coast stouts.
updated 3/04

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

This lacks flavor and feels very watery. It looks and smells good, but really let down after that. Not much good to say other than it's cheap and available.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Appreance- Looks absolutely scrumptious with choclately tones and smooth stout medium head

Smell- Aromas just do not match the look, there is a faint nutty choclate mix, hazelnut maybe, but overall the smell is not punctual or alluring

Taste- Smooth, easiest to drink stout I have ever experienced; however, it does not pop at all and finishes kinda boring

Mouthfeel- Goes down soooo smooth, gentle and light

Overall- Good solid beer, but not Rogue worthy and defiantly not 90+...great winter drinking beer

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Several of my friends swear by this beer; me, not so much. It's good, but it is too low in ABV and a bit too tame for me. I would take, say, a Lion Stout over this 100% of the time. Then again, Lion is no slouch, so my complaint is actually a compliment.

A – It pours nice and dark, but not black, with decent head and moderate retention.

S – Roasty. That is the main olfactory sensation. Burnt cocoa, dark roast coffee, charred grain and a bit of a malty sweetness to tie it all together.

T – The taste is roasty and stout, perfectly average. Forgive my lack of superlative and whimsy, but it is just a bit of a fence-sitter of a beer. It tastes quite good, but given the obvious quality, it seems just a risky tweak for something stunning, which it is not.

M – The feel is thinner, but viscous enough to overcome it.

D – As I said, good but not great.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours rich dark milky brown with near brown head, good retention with large stable bubbles, heavy lacing..dark dark dark.

Aroma heavy on malt, chocolate, with a smoky background and light alcohol presense.

Smoky malt profile, medium bitterness that increases in the finish. Rich but not overly sweet. Creamy mouthfeel verging on chunky, like drinking coffee with the grounds left in.

Overall too rich for continuous consumption. Maybe a tad heavy for my taste. Tasty, but not as complex as I was expecting.

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Bomber bottle, poured into a pint glass. Thick black color, lets no light through. A fluffy cafe au lait head emerges and disapates rather quickly, with no lacing, but a small ring around the top.

Aroma shows roasted barley, burnt espresso, and a hint of chocolate. Flavor is very similar, VERY roasty, tones of dark roasted coffee, even a slight hint of smoke.

Mouthfeel for me is kinda bad. Feels way over carbonated for the style, and feels a bit astringent.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a tall, thin, mug. Bottle states "ebony in color with a rich, creamy head, an earthy flavor that comes from oats and a mellow chocolate aftertaste." 15 degrees pPlato, 69 IBU, 77AA, 135.48 degrees L.

Appearance: Pours with a 2-3 inch medium to dark tan head. Falls slowly to a thin coat of foam with some lacing. Beer itself is black, nearly opaque.

Smell: Roasted barley is the predominant smell.

Taste: Hop bitterness upfront flavor vice in the finish as usual. Finishes with roasted barley.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation, decent body.

Drinkability: A good, drinkable stout, but not as rich and creamy as many stouts available.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, no bottled on date present. Finally getting around to reviewing this one from Rogue, acquired a single bottle of this stuff from the local bottle shop. Bottle doesn't really have much to say on this one - no abv listed either.

Poured into a Unibroue Maudite snifter.

A - Pours a thick dark inky blackish-brown body, super dark and close to opaque, especially for being an under 6.00% abv beer, the color is very impressive. One finger of thin bubbly mocha head that dies down to a bubbly ring quickly, leaving minor spotty lacing. Appears aptly carbonated. Looks very nice.

S - Aroma is rich, dark, bitter, & roasty. Huge notes of chocolate / cream / barley malt roastiness, lightly charred & ashy. Slight notes of mineral water, & dark pitted fruits.

T - Taste follows the nose: dark bitter, roasty, malty, chocolatey, with lots of burnt black coffee & ashy char in the taste. Again, slight notes of mineral watery & dried raisins / figs / dates. It's ok. Not particularly flavorful or interesting, for my liking.

M - Feel is smooth & creamy. Body is light & actually pretty watery for my liking. Lots of dark bitter burnt malts, black coffee, & raisins in the aftertaste.

Overall, it was okay. I thought it was average all around, and a bit too thin and bitter for my liking.

Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout -----3.5/5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very black in color with a foamy tan head. As expected, no light visible. It is not as thick and viscous as some other stouts as it pours. The head has good retention and the lacing is nice.

Aroma: Roasted malt is most dominant with a touch of hops. I can smell some chocolate and a bit of fruit. There is not the coffee aromas I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with tingly carbonation. Not as thick and creamy as I like and the carbonation is a tad heavy on my tongue.

Taste: The coffee I missed in the aroma is certainly present in the taste, even more so than the chocolate. Of course, the roasted malts is a dominant flavor as well. There is some bitterness, but it is nicely balanced. The flavors are complex, but not particularly strong. The bitterness sets in with the dry finish.

Overall impression: This is good stout, but not in my upper echelon.A

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Ebony with a pillowy clay colored head. Near unparalleled lace and retention. Near perfect.

Aroma is dark roast malt with an oaty smooth acidity. Tastes dark and roasty and fairly monotone. Good, but a one trick pony. Body is terribly watery, the Pacman yeast (which I usually like) just doesn't fit with this beer.

Good but unengaging due to lack of depth. The mouthfeel is as hearty as a Hawiian death metal band.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a nearly black color with minimal lacing.

Smells and tastes exactly like a strong coffee. Unfortunately, that's all it tastes like. I remember this beer being much more complex. But, after having it tonight, I feel as though it's a decent stout, but there are definitely better ones on the market.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours with no head and almost black color.

Smell- Nose is very weak but is mildly hoppy.

Taste- Suprisingly bitter, hops definitly take the lead role in the flavor department here, some light burnt flavors on the finish with a hint of overly done coffee. Not awful but not particularly my thing.

Mouthfeel- Decent palate coverage.

Drinkability- An ok brew, I found this one disappointing but Im not a big fan of hopped stouts'.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

VP debate night - I refuse to listen to that sneering, clueless woman, so let's have a beer instead.

A - Fairly strong pour into a pint glass. Creamy-looking head recedes, revealing a passable lace. Body the color of dark-roast coffee.

S - Sasparilla, carob, some roasted coffee, but not really a burnt smell. Mild aromatics but pleasant.

T - Sharp, drying, slightly smoky signature Rogue Pacman yeast character immediately evident. Chocolatey, but only hinted at, not overwhelmingly so at all. Quite assertive Cascade profile at 69 IBU, leaves a very bitter chocolate aftertaste. Some sips, I feel the Cascades fight a bit too much with the smooth, creamy malts, other sips seem more in balance. On the bitter, hoppy end of the style, but nothing wrong with that.

F - Stouts brewed with oatmeal always have a luxurious feel, and this gets the feel pretty well, though it doesn't come off as creamy as it could. I think the hops cut through some of that.

D - At 6%, rich and hoppy, one bomber is plenty. It is a complex example of the style, and bigger than its strength would indicate. Also noted, the bitterness of this stout really stays with you.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark, dark pour with a big handsome brown head. Looks quite delicious. Head settles to a film, gives up a small measure of lace.

Aroma is roast malt, chocolate. Not over powering but distinct.

Strong bitter malt, semi sweet chocolate flavours. Dry, chalky mouthfeel, long lingering bitterness.

Decent beer, quite tasty, but somewhat one dimensional. Worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a simple black with a good sized head. The aroma offers up chocolate, dark fruit, smoke, and sawdust. The flavor is lead by roasty malts, a fairly strong smokey quality, dark chocolate, plum, with a very dry finish. The mouthfeel is thin and light. Overall this is a decent beer. Maybe I am just not as into this style as I once was, but this doesn't do much for me. The is a lingering smokiness that never seems to integrate itself. Just never a huge fan of Rogue.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours black with an insubstantial tan head. Nose is dark-roasted malt, probably coffee and chocolate but too light to really discern many individual notes.

Tastes like it smells, only a little stronger. Chocolate is definitely evident, sweet up front with some of those hops they like in Oregon in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, light and inoffensive.

THIS is a stout? What I can smell and taste is good, but everything about this beer is just too weak and subdued for me. As nice as it is in theory, I think the 6% ABV is killing the mouthfeel.

On the upside, it's not hard to drink a lot of these. When the Rogue rep was trying to get rid of them at the end of the tasting, I put away my fair share with no problem at all.

But Rogue didn't have to sacrifice flavor and body to make a drinkable stout.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very good pour from a bomber, dark with a nice light amber head. Good smell not too strong like some stouts. Some earthy and coffee tones. Tastes good at first drink, and is smooth with not a lot of alcohol taste. Lacks the creaminess of a great stout. Also like the Rogue Chocolate stout, it almost has an over carbonated feel to it. Probably would not buy again.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

A: Could be the blackest beer I've ever seen. Definitely the darkest head I've ever seen--almost a maple color.
S: Stong roasted malt aroma.
T: On a blind taste test, I would almost guess this is a Porter, the roasted malt is so strong. Very astringent in the finish and dry as well. Some chocolate and coffee notes make an appearance, but this thing is roasted, bordering on charred.
M: Great body, very dry finish.
D: A little too roasty for me. It kind of overpowers everything else in the beer.

3.51/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a Rogue bomber at a poker game, right after drinking Stone Russian Imperial Stout. The Rogue seemed flavorless after the Stone.

It looked really good (pitch black with dark tan foam) but the aroma and flavor seemed weak. I tasted burnt malt, not strong enough to be offensive. I can't really see why this is highly rated by so many people. I probably won't get it again.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle.I`ve got to say that I was underwhelmed by this Oatmeal Stout.I have had better Oatmeal stouts that weren't rated near as high as this. Youngs Oatmeal was a lot better. That`s why i have to go with a low rating just wasn`t that good.Too much alcohol up front and not enough flavor.Motley out.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

I wanted to like this more than I did. Malty and bitter. My friend said she picked up chocolate, but I wasn't getting much of it. Maybe a hint of cocoa. I'm not getting the flavours I'd expect from this style. Maybe my taste buds are dead? Definitely no strong flavours. Finish slightly smokey.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Pours nicely, dark black with a one finger mocha head. Very little retention and no lacing.

S- Nothing special about the smell, slight hints of chocolate, mostly a strong burnt barley smell.

T- Very strong burnt barley taste. And I do mean burnt, seems like all the Stouts I've had from Rogue have some burnt barley.

M- Okay mouthfeel, medium body, a little light for a dark beer. Small, almost inconsequential bite at the end.

D- I wasn't impressed with this beer. I don't think I'll try another Rogue beer. Every one I've had has been unimpressive. This is another letdown.

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Typical black dark color of stouts, creamy taste, has an oatmeal smell to it, overall ok. I would say this is a good beer, but for the price I expected more. It's not better than a Guinness, but costs a lot more.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark...well really dark, just like a good stout should. I see a bit of lacing but not much. There's very little smell, could just be me. I do detect sort of a chocolatey smell with some burnt parts. Hmm, the taste is a little different than i was expecting. I'm very used to a heavy taste/texture from oatmeal stouts. This one, however, has a smoother taste noted by an earthy body and a sort of chocolate finish. I knew there was chocolate somewhere in here. A lot less of the actual oatmeal can be tasted in this one. I like the mouthfeel, although, i'm not entirely sure it fits the style, i.e. heavy almost like you ate a loaf of bread. Well, overall, i'm actually a little disappointed. I really was expecting to get a heavier offering like Oatis from Ninakasi or the Oatmeal Stout from Samuel Smith's (my favorite to date). I still think this one is worth checking out as it highlights differences in the style of the oatmeal stouts..

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Pint glass pour and I am met with a black ale with a big beige head that stays the entire session. Bitter chocolate aroma with some cocoa whiffs and roasted dark malts. Very bitter taste. I was expecting some sweet rush on the taste or at least the swallow based on the smell but there is none to be had. Black coffee, slight chocolate and malty. Bitter almost sour-like finish. The mouthfeel is too thin for an outmeal stout. Drinkability was ok. The bitter, bitter taste put me off a little. I may have had a bad bottle and therefore the review could be tainted. I recall drinking this fresher and getting a better session. Will look to re-review in the future.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales