Love Belgian Beer?

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,597 | Ratings: 3,385
3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

The beer pours a deep, solid black, completely opaque, topped with a thin film of beige head. The head dies out completely after about halfway through the pint.
The aroma is a strong, rich burnt coffee roastiness, with a rather assertive hopping. Slightly herbal, but mostly citric pacific northwest pungency. A bit of yeast hazelnut, with faint plum esters. Some light chocolate malt as it warms. Unusual and highly hopped for a stout, but it's certainly enjoyable.
The flavor starts with an intense burnt, bittersweet malt. Similar to charred toast, with a cup of week old black coffee. Pleasant, despite the description. Faint plum esters peek through timidly, maostly drowned out by the malt and an ominous storm cloud of oncoming hops. The clouds open up and release a rain of oily citric hop bitterness, intensified by the burnt malt. A very pleasant bitter finish, with bittersweet mocha and a beautifully citric hop bite. Ever so slight yeast in the finish, picking up a slight nutty breadiness in the aftertaste. Black coffee astringency lingers in the aftertaste for eons. Medium bodied, with moderate, unassuming carbonation that carries the flavor well.
Way overhopped for what I expect from a stout, but it's quite tasty. A challenging brew, bordering on imperial stout in it's intensity. Not something I'd want on a daily basis, but I think I'll keep a bottle in the fridge for those extra crappy days at work, when you're really jonesing for a powerfully flavored beer to relax with.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours black as tar with a moderate, creamy brown head that dissipates into a thin film -- no light shines through this brew. The aroma was malty and roasted, but not as "big" as I anticipated from the appearance. The mouthfeel was full and searching -- seeming to coat the entire palate. The taste was thick -- sweet malt and nuts with some hickory and chocolate insinuations, with a growing bitterness in the aftertaste. Highly drinkable even if it would get pretty heavy after a couple.

4.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It pours an inky ebony, an alomst absolute blackness, and seems to gobble up light, said light not to be seen again. A light cocoa brown head, thick and creamy, fluffs up and then settles slowly to a lush foam blanket. Delicate lacing seems plastered immovably to the sides of the glass.

The aroma braings a dark roasted malt bitterness combined with burnt sugar. A subdued espresso note vies with dusky earth tones for the middle ground. An underlaid vinous character fades to a dark chocolatey bitterness at the close.

With the first taste, burnt, roasted malt bitterness juts its chin daringly before surprising, almost vinegary astringence sucks the cheeks inward, though a sensation more than a taste. Malt sweetness lurks but never truly steps way forward, and that's just fine. At the outside, a slight, berry-ish sweetness quickly shifts to a dark coffee, earthy bitterness, before finally finishing with a slowly fading chocolate/hops duet.

It's thickly, slickly, densely heavy bodied, plopping as much as pouring. It lubricates the entire mouth, and leaves a glaze of bittersweet, down-to-earth flavor and glow.

As happy as I was when I unexpectedly found this on a local guy's shelf, I was even happier when I finally tasted it. The flavor has multiple tiers, all distinct, but still wonderful parts of an impressive whole. It's full in aroma, flavor, and feel, and has a biting edge that earns immediate respect. If you love stout, and I do, the substantial presence here will draw you in and demand attention and indulgence, and you'll give these things willingly. I may be no literary competition for The Bard, but this big beer makes me want to wax rhapsodic, and when a beer can do that, it's truly something special.

4.83/5  rDev +16.1%

I finally found this at the local Wild Oats, stashed inconspicuously behind a couple of Dead Guys. This rather thick, deep black beer produced a large yet transient head similar in color to milk chocolate. Intimidating and enticing.

A rindy bitterness accosts my nose on the first whiff. A closer smell reveals notes of molasses and crisp pear, a warm bready sweetness underlies the aroma throughout.

Hoppy! Such a nice hoppy stout. Certainly a PNW stout with less of a grainy sweetnes than I would expect. What sweetness there is comes first. It is slightly syrupy and refined. It doesn't remind me of anything in particular; kind of a generic malty sweetness. Then a barrage of bitter notes, first slightly creamy, then rindy like kumquats, then green and fresh like arugula. An espresso-like tang persists.

This feels smooth in my mouth, and Rogue (as usual) errs on the side of safety with the carbonation. Refreshing for a stout.

The drinkability is surprisingly high here. Perhaps this is a good session stout for those that eschew Guinness. Altogether though, when I want stout I'll pick up a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal or Rogue Chocolate Stout instead.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black with a huge 4 finger tan head due to an apparently aggressive pour. The foamy head looked very sticky with beautiful peaks and valleys. The aroma was malt with hops and chocolate at the end. The taste was malt initially, fading midway into a nice hop bitterness. This is very unique in the stouts I've tried and adds a wonderful complexity to the brew. As the hops faded, I was left with an impression of burnt roasted coffee. The hops make another appearance in the aftertaste, with a slight hint of bittersweet chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy with a medium to low level of carbonation. This beer feels the way a stout should in your mouth. Extremely drinkable...I absolutely love this beer.

I love this stout. It is truly a wonderfully complex beer considering it is not a "big" beer in terms of alcohol. I could drink a lot of this. My wife loves this stuff, which says a lot about its appeal. One of the best!

4.56/5  rDev +9.6%

$4.49, 22 oz.

Rogue's Shakespeare Stout pours a hot-asphalt black with a leathery, milk-chocolate head. I peer through the proclaimed "ebony" only to see the blackest night. No hints of ruby at all. Impressed already. Dirty white lacing is all I will soon have left.

There are dark chocolate and espresso tones on the nose, with a touch of rauchbier invoked. Everything about this beer is deep, dark and not at all shallow.

I might disagree with Rogue's proclamation that this beer has large chocolate tones upon taste - there is nearly no sweetness here.

The taste is offputting to some, down right shocking to most. I know now how I like my stouts. It makes smaller, more modest stouts like Anchor seem obsolete. I also didn't feel much of the large hop presence that I had anticipated.

This beer's mouthfeel is rich and so roasty that it stings the palate. I would've appreciated more of a rich oat character here, but I am happy with the consistency especially at 6% ABV.

I concur with another BA - this is Sierra Nevada Porter's big brother.
I did cringe at a little bit of an ashtray taste at the end - but that is consistent with the rauchbier hints I was getting on the nose.

Everything is huge and endless - pour out the last bit of the bottle and you are shocked at the stain in your sink. Often overlooked, this one is one to look for if you want a relatively low ABV beer that seems so much higher.

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%

I'm not impressed with this beer. It seems more like a bock than a stout. The thick, creamy head appeared promising, but fell flat within a minute or so.

Yes, there's subtle hints of chocolate and coffee. Yes, there is a deep dark color and rich head, but the taste is rather dry and bitter. Too light for a stout imo.

I will say that this would be a good session beer for all of the above observations.

3.97/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours nice and dark into the glass with a surprisingly large amount of head which quickly dissipates.

Nice aroma dominated by grain and coffee. Taste is very creamy with some chocolate undertones, and is smooth with a medium amount of bitterness which sticks around in your mouth for a while, but is a bit dry for my tastes.

Biggest disappointment with this is the mouthfeel, it's not atrocious by any measure, but I was expecting this stout to coat my mouth, and it didn't deliver on that at all, some thickness is definitely there, so it's not as though it's a complete bust, but it's enough to keep it from scoring better than good. The smoothness makes for high drinkability though, surprising for a stout with this much character to be high in that category, but it is.

Overall a high quality brew, I don't think it usurps my favourites by any stretch, but definitely something I'll revisit.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

"I will make it a felony to drink small beer"

-King Henry VI, part II (act iv, scene ii)

I thought I'd start this review off with a quote from 'Willy Shakes' himself. This is not a big beer in the same way that Dark Lord is big, but I think I'm safely on Henry's good side when drinking this stout.

Absolute jet black with nothing in the way of highlights, even with bright sunlight behind the glass. The head is the same medium brown that you'd see on a cola, with a fat one finger disk persisting for quite a long time. Very little lace is disappointing.

The first thing that hits my nose is hops, believe it or not. The other typical stout scents are present as well... coffee (primarily) and chocolate.

The taste is intense, as if the flavor knob has been turned up to '11'. Again, the hoppiness is surprising and isn't in the background at all, but is right up front. Even though I've never had it, I imagine that this is what espresso tastes like: strong, roasted and 'black'.

I was impressed with the body/mouthfeel the first time I had this brew, but it doesn't seem so incredible now that I have a few more stouts under my belt. It's definitely creamy, but it isn't head-and-shoulders above its peers.

Rouge Shakespeare Stout is very good beer and deserves all of the accolades thrown its way. However, even though I consider myself an IPA-loving' hophead, I don't like such intense hoppiness in my stouts. If you love hops, love good stouts and love combining them in one glass, then this is the beer that you've been looking for.

4.09/5  rDev -1.7%

cascading midnight black with a creamy dark brown head...awesome. grainy roasted oatmeal aroma. medium body with a relativley low amount of carbonation...seems to suit the brew. deep creamy dark roasted oat flavor with an earthy hop bitterness. extraodinarily balanced. absolutely the most drinkable stout i've come across. an essential brew and a must-try for anyone whose even slightly into stouts.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Jet black stout color, with a tan head. This is a much different stout than I am used too. Much more bitter, and less sweet than I have had before. I like it a lot better than most stouts. I think this may equal or even surpass Storm King, since I have gotten a craving/addiction to hops.

Update 4/2/04: Had it again, still think it is amazing. I had this at a colder temperature, and it still is bursting with hops, chocolate, coffee, and maybe a little raisin flavor.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the Dead Guy. I've had the Mocha Porter. I've had Hazlenut to YSB to Yellow Snow to Irish Ale to St. Rogue Red to Choco Stout. I've even had the fabled I Squared PA (wonderful by the way). But I've never had Shakespeare Stout. The BEST Rogue apparently. The BEST BEER IN THE WORLD as I've seen crowned in some questionable literature. The hype is almost overpowering. So, on to MY review.
22 ounce bomber. Pop top pours a black brown beer, no carbonation, with deep tan head. Reminds me of the King (Storm, that is). Smell is sweet and bitter, like an imperial. But this is just a meager stout. Well maybe not. Taste is very smooth, with just the right touch of bitter hop and roasty malt to make you say hmmm. If I had had this before SK, I'd say SK is a heavy Shakespeare. Since I've already had the King, I'd say this is a lighter guy, but fit to serve as his second in command. Good choco feel at the end. Interesting to note the oatmeal prescence in the malt (props to Rogue for listing all their ingredients--gentlemen among brewers). The oatmeal seems to have just turned to alcohol, and left little of its trace in the residual taste. I really love this beer, I guess my cynicism comes from the fact that Rogue is in Oregon, I am in PA, Victory is 1 hour from me, and Storm King is similar, and just a bit better. Rogue's Imperial should embolize this. I'm sold. I love it. But, at $6 a bomber, with $1.75 SK's in the cooler, I can't really bring myself to say I prefer this. Great beer.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

Shakespeare poured a shimmering obsidian black, with an cola-foam colored creamy head. The smell was powerful and was reminiscent of Expedition Stout, for those of you lucky enough to have that frame of reference...deeply roasty coffee malts with a nice floral bouquet of hops pinned to it. The taste started with a brief kick of nice smokey dark choclate, which then collapsed too quickly into the well done bitter finish with lingering cola undertones... a bit disappointing. Numerous assertive fruity esters were also present, and though I usually enjoy a robust ester component in most beers (esp. dark), these seemed out of place somehow. The mouthfeel was creamy and full however. It was quite drinkable for a stout, due to the lack of lingering monster stout flavors and a well-done sweetness level. Shakespeare is certainly a full-flavored and original stout, but the quick flavor drop-off and off-esters leave me unsatisfied.

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a jet black with some dark chestnut coming through on the edges. Thick, dense creamy brown head. Layers of perfect tiny bubbles. Nice lacing. Aromas of espresso, cocoa and dark roasted malt.
Big gutsy bittersweet flavor. Dark chocolate, espresso and sweet roasted/charred malt. There was a nice tangy, almost tart hop bitterness. Great balance.
Medium bodied with a rich full creamy mouthfeel and exceptional drinkability.

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Alright, I know my review is a little low compared to others reviews. This just didn't do it for me. I had this about a month ago and loved it but didn't review it and then revisited it for the purpose of reviewing it and then didn't like it as much as I did before. However, I did have a Gulden Draak before I had this one. Apparently in my drunken state I thought this would be a bigger beer and obviously I was wrong.

Anyway on to the review...

Poured damn near black with a thick light tan head. The head was dense and creamy but died to a thin layer and then to nothing. Very little lace left on the glass and a large amount of sediment on the bottom of the glass.

Not a lot to the aroma. Perhaps my nostils were fried after inhaling the fine aroma of the Gulden Draak. It sorta smelled like flowers with some light oat notes, suddle toffee and loads of chocolate.

Smooth and silky! Which is something I definately did like. Some maple notes, bitter chocolate, then coffee then spins and goes straight into hop bitterness. Heavy in the mouth but left a lingering after taste like I just took a huge bong hit. Odd.

I will revisit this soon.

4.63/5  rDev +11.3%

22 oz. (650 ml) bottle

Dense, light brown head.

Good, complex nose - hints of coffee, chocolate, and well-roasted malts.

Truly opaque, ebony body with a few bubbles.

Well-balanced, if a bit dry, with a whole range of notes in the aftertaste. Drinkability limited by its size - but that's not really a negative (quality over quantity, any day).

Overall, an excellent, drinkable stout - perhaps the best I've yet tried (and I've tried quite a few)!

4.26/5  rDev +2.4%

One of Santa's gifts this year. First, appearance was a definite 5.0 with a creamy light chocolate head that lasted forever. Smell was good witha hoppy presence with some malty undertones. Taste was excellent with a great balance between coffee and burnt malt. A slight bitterness was evident with a nice hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied with a somewhat chewy quality. A sipping brew...drinkability was above average for the style.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I've wanted to try this one out for awhile, and I got what I wanted. It pours out real dark brown, a bit of light on the sides. Real thick head that laced out very nicely, and lasted all the way down, turning from light tan to dark ambers. Two pours on the 22oz for me.

Tastes of chocolate, winding down to coffee, then to the hops characaterize this. It really goes from bittersweet to bitter, ever so gradually. I enjoyed this a lot.

This was a very smooth beer, I'm a big judge on carbonation and this was just right; not too much, not too little. Bold flavors that even out in the end make this a solid brew for any beer drinker.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

From a 22oz bomber.

Pours black with hints of dark ruby around the edges with a thin brown head. Smell is smoky burnt malt but also lightly sweet and creamy.

Taste is chocolatey, a bitter dark chocolate. Lightly nutty or oaty undertones. Big flavors here but still very smooth. A strong bitter coffee finish. Nice! Mouthfeel is full-bodied with a strong smoky and bitter aftertaste. Some hop flavors evident in the aftertaste as well. Incredibly smooth and drinkable for a big flavor stout like this one.

A beer that definitely lives up to the hype.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured a deep, dark black/brown with a dark tan head. Aroma is heavy milk chocolate with some roasted barley and maybe coffee hints. Taste is very chocolately and chewy with bitter hop and resin end. Mouthfell is excellent, all alcohol feeling is hidden by prepdonerence of malt.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Now thats a Stout.
22 oz. Bomber with no freshness label.
Poured ink black with a Thick creamy tan head 2 fingers tall that
hung around for the whole beer.
Smells of dark roast Coffee, Mocha and a hint of dark chocolate.
The taste of this beer is simply awsome. The roasted malt gives a
coffee/dark chocolate taste and is helped out by the slight hops
dryness as it finishes.It leaves a smokey toffee taste in your mouth.
I'd say of the stouts that I have had the pleaure of drinking, this one
tops them all. Done right the first time.
I will be buying more of this wonderfull liquid in the near future.

4.52/5  rDev +8.7%

Boy, this one was an unexpected treat. Buddy of mine had a 3 liter from I'd imagine 2000-1, just judging from the older Shakespeare Stout logo silk-screened on the swing topped jerobaom. The top part tasted really alcohol-laden. What I was drinking was like Shakespeare stout, I've had lots of it since it was released from Rogue, but it was different because it was smoky, almost hammy, wine-like, complex, lower carbonated; just an overall unique Shakespeare experience. Wicked; nice and thick. All the characteristics of this stout were in place, other than lack of any oatmeal, just rearranged in a way that my rating for this beer is so high. 3 liters are so much fun. My only gripe was the carbonation was sooo subtle that there was not really a head to accentuate the delicious aroma.

Wow, that's a dark head. Brown and doughy with spotty lacing. The beer is a black black with black highlights. Holding against a bright light reveals some black. The nose is sweetish with plenty of dark chocolate and some milk. A dark chocolate front, deep tangy chocolate middle and a bitter, hoppy finish. This beer is 100% bitter chocolate. Pure, dark, unsweetened chocolate with a slight tangy, sweetish overtone. Good.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

A fantastic stout. Rougue has always been a brewery that I could count on to make a quality beer. This was no exception. It poured a thick black color with a nice one inch head. The smell was a soft mocha scent. A little coffe and a little chocolate. This lead to a smooth drinking experience. Chocolate and coffe blended nicely for a wonderful tasting stout. Not as strong and over the top like some stouts. The mouthfeel was smooth as was the general body of the beer. Thank you once again, Rogue.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours black as night with a good brown head. Smell is nutty, bitter and malty. The taste is surprisingly smooth. Chocolate and coffee in a perfect blend. Just a shade below some of the other stouts I have had but very tasty. A little too bitter for me.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales