Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,460 |  Reviews: 1,616
4.42/5  rDev +6.3%

Mmmm. Served up with a nice brown creamy head, pours out dark brown-black. The smell is sweet of chocolate and roasted malts and maybe some caramel?. The taste is a little bit bitter up front, but then mainly of sweet malt - lots of lacing. Delicious. I think this is Rogue's best product.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours black with an insubstantial tan head. Nose is dark-roasted malt, probably coffee and chocolate but too light to really discern many individual notes.

Tastes like it smells, only a little stronger. Chocolate is definitely evident, sweet up front with some of those hops they like in Oregon in the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit creamy, light and inoffensive.

THIS is a stout? What I can smell and taste is good, but everything about this beer is just too weak and subdued for me. As nice as it is in theory, I think the 6% ABV is killing the mouthfeel.

On the upside, it's not hard to drink a lot of these. When the Rogue rep was trying to get rid of them at the end of the tasting, I put away my fair share with no problem at all.

But Rogue didn't have to sacrifice flavor and body to make a drinkable stout.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

This is one of my most favorite beers. Ebony in color with fairly small head. Wonderfully bitter after taste. Not a high gravity beer, but I must rate the "feeling" of this beer as exceptional. Just as drinkable as a Guiness yet much more complex and distinct. I am a huge Rogue fan, so I may be biased, but if you like Stouts, this is probably the best domestic you will find.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Dark, dark brown (no light peeking through). Creamy, chocolaty one finger head. Good retention and lacing.

Smell: Initially, it smells of espresso, dark chocolate, and malt. There's also some toasted nut and hints of toffee.

Taste: Chocolate and coffee tastes are surely the primary feature. It also has the toasted nut flavor which really adds something. Nice malty taste as well.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and goes down very easy for a stout. In my opinion, the ABV is perfect for this beer and makes if very drinkable. I'd be happy with a couple of bombers in a sitting. Overall, it's a very good stout. Highly recommended.

3.96/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber (around 50 degrees F) into a pint glass with two fingers of tan, leathery head. The beer itself is not quite black, but rather an exceedingly dark brown, with the faintest hint of red. The head retention is fairly good. Decent lacing. Certainly a very pretty beer.

Smells of malty sweetness and beery goodness. Maybe some raisins.

Taste is mellow malty sweetness, the faintest hint of molasses, some dry chocolate (but not as much as I had been led to believe), and maybe some raisins. Maybe. There is a very nice mid-palate dryness that lends itself well to this beer, balancing out the initial sweetness. Nice crisp, cascade-y finish. Yet for all this, the beer doesn't have either as much complexity, or as much oomph as I would have liked.

The mouthfeel is slick and creamy. This beer is well-carbonated, and swishing it around in my mouth is a tactile delight as more bubbles come into play.

I could put a few of these back. In fact, it is quite sessionable for a stout. The only thing hindering sessionablility is that it seems to be missing something in terms of taste, if only ever so slightly.

While not the best stout out there, this is still a solid, well-rounded, well-crafted beer, and worth a try.

4.12/5  rDev -1%

I know it’s not the quantity but the quality we rate here….but…..for my 200th beer, I noticed a Rogue glass in my cabinet and a Shakespeare Stout in my fridge….so I thought – what the hell!

What an interesting pour – thick and oily with a nice rocky head. The aroma is heavy of roasted malt. The flavors swirl on my tongue – heavy with roasted malt and sweetness for balance. The mouthfeel is definitely heavy – just shy of chewy. This beer has the character of something suitable of Shakespeare’s time.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz. bottle poured into Warsteiner pilsner.

A: Black pour with a huge, fluffy gray/tan, pillowy head. Good retention and terrific lacing.

S: Roasted malt, mocha/coffee, mild sweetness, chocolate.

T: Same as smell with a mild hop presence to balance out. Hint of smokiness also.

M: Super creamy thickness, ended by a mild carbonated hop tingle.

D: Super good stout, not too bitter or roasted. Good balance makes it very easy to drink.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Purchased a 22oz bomber at Sam’s chilled and poured into a nonic. Thick and creamy one finger of thick milk chocolate head with abundant lacing and good retention. The body is mahogany, jet black and completely opaque. Smell is of roasted barley, rolled oats, a tiny hint of vanilla, dry roast coffee, and a nutty mild chocolate character up against some slight grapefruit hop notes. The taste is much the same as the smell a real battle between rich roasted barley, dark malts and hop grape fruitiness.
The bitterness is balanced well, just one the boarder of being a little too present for me for the style. The bottle lists that only cascades where used, don’t get me wrong I love cascade hops, but I’m beginning to think that cascades used as bittering hops and boiled for a full 60 min. or more become a bit muddy. The mouth feel is pleasant on this could be a tad thicker, but nice just the same. This is a very tasty beer though I doubt I’ll buy it again, just the same absolutely worth the experience

4.48/5  rDev +7.7%

a: pours a jet black with about an inch or more of tan head that has good retention time and leaves a lot of sticky lacing, in short everything i look for in a good beer
s: wow, roasted sweet malts nice coffee like aroma very inviting very very nice
t: wow, nice creamy smooth taste, roasted malts light hop bitterness vrery nice
m: full bodied beer very smooth very nice, not overly carbonated very enjoyable

overall this is one of the top three beers taht i have ever had it is amazing

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a mug. Pours an incredibly dark color, closest to pure black I've ever seen, with just the barest hints of brown around the edges of the glass. A nice tan billowy head with a little lacing. Smell is strong mocha malt, with a hint of alcohol, some nuttiness, a little chocolate, sweet molasses. Fairly bitter flavor up front, although not particularly hoppy until the end. Coffee flavor in the middle, with strong roasted malts coming through. A little sweet at the end, before the aftertaste. Body is strong and full, creamy, with solid carbonation; an oddly 'crunchy' beer, although I'm not sure if that makes any sense. It's a good beer, with a distinct, interesting flavor. For me it's a little too extensively bitter (a sort of coffee-like hoppiness, if that's possible) in the aftertaste, which makes it a little less drinkable. But overall, a good beer, quite tasty.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into a 0.5L Duvel tulip.

A: Massive Fluffy coffee colored head fades slowly and leaves a thick lacing down the side but it doesn't stick. Body is black, as it should be. Enticing.

S: Powerful dark malts and sweetness. Roasty coffee and chocolate and almost a creamyness in the aroma.

T: Great complex roasty malts with a followed by slight hop flavor and bitterness. Really a benchmark for stouts.

M: Amazing smooth mouth-filling beer.

D: Long bitterness tires out my tounge. But otherwise it's a joy.

One of the first beers I discovered. It introduced me not only to real stouts, but also great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 22 into a snifter. Pitch black with a deep brown head with some definite red hues. Very pretty, but it doesn't stick around long enough the ogle at. Smells of fruits, berries, molasses and caramel with a light hoppy grass.

Taste is light, sweet and fruity. Tons of estery watermellon, mango and apple ride a backbone of milk chocolate, cherries, and rasberries. Moderately buttery, with a very subtle hop, and hints of lemon rind in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, drinkability is very high. An excellent counterpart to the Chocolate Sout- very impressive.

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

22oz into a pint glass.

Deep deep black with a beautiful beige head. Left lacing all over the glass right to the end.

Caramel, barley, fruits, and high hop nose makes this one of the best smelling beers out there.

Super smooth! Creamy malts and a nice crisp on the tip of the tongue. Balanced but heavy blend of the barely, malts, sweetness, bitterness, and a great finish in chocolate aftertastes with a hint of hops and sweetness.

A great beer and in my opinion one of the best stouts out there.

4.72/5  rDev +13.5%

22 oz. bomber with the ingredients listed on the side; 69 IBUs. It sits in my chalice deep black with a half-inch of orangey/brown head that halves in depth, yet retains, and leaves light lacing. The bouquet is exquisite, lightly sweet, with roasted, chocolate, and espresso malts, pine, cake/cookies, brownies, black/blueberry, green apple, strawberry?, pear?, vanilla?, and some green hops to bring it all together. It tastes of roasted/bitter/charred malts, chocolate, tobacco, leather, earth, charcoal/ashtray, green/piney hops, and a touch of oats. The body is medium, drying, with medium carbonation and a long, lingering finish. Just a touch too thin for me, but overall a wondrous stout that is highly recommended and well worth revisiting.

4.54/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Ah, the beer that really got me to fall in love with Rogue. Most of my reviews so far have been on beers I'm trying for the first time. This one is just the opposite. Shakespeare is an old standby and today it finally gets it's due.

APPEARANCE: Pours an opaque black with a small tan head. A very thin collar remains with just the smallest indications of the quickly disappearing head. A bit underwhelming.

SMELL: Roasted malts, coffee, and dark fruits all hit immediately and in unison. Citrusy cascades lurk in the background along with some licorice and bittersweet chocolate. Just what a stout should smell like.

TASTE: The taste filled with roasted coffee and sweet fruits. The hops don't shy away either, adding just enough bitterness as not to overshadow what the malt has going on. The finish is very roasted and bitter with a strong taste of burnt malts. Rogue's signature Pacman yeast is also very apparent in the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Wonderfully full bodied with an incredible smoothness that leaves just enough of a coating in your mouth so that you won't lose the taste. Not undercarbonated either, unlike some stouts.

DRINKABILITY: Quite possibly the most drinkable stout I've had to date. Sure the ABV is low at 6%, but it's still a stout just the same. And for me to consider having a second bomber when I'm done has to speak volumes for just how drinkable this beer is.

The most striking this about Shakespeare Stout is that despite how full bodied and full flavored it is, it goes down so damn easy. As long as Rogue is making this beer, I'll be buying it. Delicious!

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

poured from a 22oz. bomber. total black, or the darkest brown i have ever seen, with a caramel laced head. the smell is chocolate, dark fruit and coffee with slight hop prescence. the taste is amazing. the perfect balance of flavors. this beer compliments itself very well. definitly the best stout i've had to date. this beer perfect, or as close to perfect as i've seen so far.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a snifter. Full brown head that dissipates to the edges where it remains throughout.

Full musty sour and hoppy aroma. Very dry smelling.

Nice full-bodied taste with good up front hop bitter and taste. The hops and sourness outweigh the sweetness. Strong coffee and unsweetened coffee characteristics. The acidity of the strong carbonation ads a bit of bite.

A bit more carbonated than I would have liked but a great stout nonetheless. As I get to the bottom of the snifter the beer warms, the carbonation lessens, and enjoy the taste characteristics more.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Dark, but not quite black, this beer is more like the red-velvet cake of stouts, with oddly appealing ruby hues at the edges. The foam is milk-chocolate in color, and a manageable 1/4 inch or so. It's not a dense rocky foam like I have found other Rogues to be. It's not a persistent foam.

S: Is that chocolate aroma is more than the power of suggestion? This brew has chocolate malt, according to the ingredients panel (but not actual chocolate as per another Rogue brew). As the session continued, I became aware of the light aroma of the cascade hops.

T: There are many things going on in the taste/flavor department and my perceptions changed as I drank the brew. Initially, I found a slightly metallic/molasses note up front, a strong chocolate middle, and a finish that has both a coffe-like roast and a slight dry twang. There is a moderate caramel sweetness to this one, and no noticeable bitterness. Surprising, given the 69 IBUS the bottle claims. Mostly, the sweetness and chocolateness prevailed.

M: Creamy up front feel, (thanks to the oatmeal?) with a dry finish.

A 22oz bottle was great, but if they made 33 oz bottles, I'd have been happier. This is mighty close to exactly what I am looking for when I want a stout.

3.98/5  rDev -4.3%

It really is a shame Rogue puts no dates on their bottles.

A- Pours a nice black mass with a nice brown head that forms and settles to a splotchy thin sheet on the top. Not the darkest I have seen, but it does fight to keep the light out.

S- A very strong roasty character to this. Chocolate and coffee as well. Some vanilla. What is up with that metallic tinge to this? The hops maybe? Interesting.

T- The flavor is good on this. Good roasty backbone and some more chocolate and coffee to it. This seems to have a strange character to it with the hops.

M- This beer has a little bite to it with the hops and carbonation. A little dry. Does feel a bit heavier at the end.

D- I have had some other bottles of this I know to be a few months old and I recall them being much better than this. I wonder if a little more time in the fridge would have done this beer some good. Still worth a try.

4.73/5  rDev +13.7%

I really like Stouts, but I must say that this may be my favorite.

Beautiful dark, dark black brew with a glorious dark tan fluffy head. Except for the edges, the beer is completely opaque.

Smooth mouth feel. Maybe it could use even more smoothness but that's flyspecking there.

Glorious dark toasty aroma and flavor that is to die for. Coffee, dark chocolate, and lots of toasted malt. If you let the beer linger in your mouth you can pick up a fair bit of unexpected hops (well I say that, Rogue really is known for hops, but it is a bit unusual for a stout). However the hops are not overpowering (as some of the other Rogue offerings) and really fit well with the style.

A superb dry stout. Highly recommended. The best of the Rogue beers I've had to date, and probably the best Stout I've had (but I change my mind on that pretty often).

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours a pitch black. The head is very creamy with a nice light brown/tan color. The first smell I found was black olives. Not sure why, but it was surprising. It isn't exactly a bad thing. Other than that, there is roasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate. The taste has much more coffee to it than the smell. The roasted malt is a nice compliment as is the dark chocolate. Caramelized sugar and molasses show up as well. Some strange tastes I found were black olives and lake water.

The mouthfeel is lacking a body and true taste, it's kind of thin. It still coats the mouth with dark chocolate, which is nice, but the black olives and lake water linger on the palate. The drinkability is one of the better aspects of this beer. It seems light for a stout, so it goes down well. The chocolate and malt aren't too overwhelming or sweet, so I enjoyed the whole 22oz. bomber. I think I need to stop drinking so many Imperial Stouts, because they are making me think regular Stouts are too thin. I'll try this again because, even though everyone's tastes are different, I expected this to be much better. I'm assuming I had a bad bottle. The store I bought it from isn't the cleanest and is known for some older bottles.

3.91/5  rDev -6%

Dark chocolate in color with a light brown head. smell of roasted malts, baking cocoa and coffee, the same could be said for the taste with a slight tinge from the hops in the immediate aftertaste with a lingering bitterness. A good drinker with medium body and the right amount of carbonation to make a smooth stout.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

Bomber from Shoreline poured into a chalice. Thick tan lacing atop jet black body.

To the nose - roasted malts up front. Coffee beans and charred wood smoke. Slight hop aroma in the back.

In the mouth, the malts are tremendous. Sweet depth - molasses and maple candy. Slight hop character to back it up and lighten things up. Taste is layered and complex with sweetness.

The feel is thick and oily - heavy and strong on the tongue. The finish is dry - bringing you back for another.

Musings: A wonderful stout. Look, nose, taste and feel - everything top notch.

3.83/5  rDev -7.9%

An ebony -- the got it right in the bottle copy -- beer with hints of brown around the edges. Very thin, greasy, tiny-bubbled tan head. Smells like spiked espresso, with some fudge rolled in.

Sturdy taste of roasted malt, with baker's chocolate. Some cold, burned coffee and plenty of bitterness. Loose and fairly light mouthfeel. Just enough carbonation to notice.

This is a stout you can put away in quantity, but it tastes like a porter. Almost a stand-in for Great Lakes Edmund Fitz?

4.51/5  rDev +8.4%

Took bottle from the fridge and poured directly into my glass. Completely black even when held up to a bright light, with a big brown pillowy head. About 1/4 inch of head remained all the way to the bottom of the glass with nice lacing. Smell of hops coming through along with the roasted malt. I found that I liked the initial smell more than the smell as I took a drink, though. Taste was great with a very slight hop bite and really no sweet malts - only roasted malts. Light/medium carbonation gave this one a nice mouthfeel.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales