Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,461 |  Reviews: 1,616
4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Very dark, dark brown body where no light passes thru. Head is a deep, rich tan color...super thick and creamy. Very nice.

S: Dusty chocolate, oatmeal, spicy hops with herbal tendencies, roasted coffee and some vanilla.

T: Dark bakers chocolate right up front which blends rapidly with massive roasted coffee beans. Sour twang in there, sort of a mixture between grape juice and day old coffee. Bitterness takes shape, a profound amount of both bittering cascade hops and roasted barley. Hints of licorice balances with some creamy flavors can be found as well. Finishes with strong espresso abrassiveness.

M: Full body with a creamy mouthfeel. Very silky and nice.

D: Nice beer, quite aggresive. 22oz's is just about all I'd prefer to do. Not sure how well this beer would go with food.

Shakespeare Stout reminds me quite a bit of Guinness Extra Stout. Both of which I enjoy quite a bit.

This brew gives off aromas of the darkly roasted malt, giving off a coffee/cocoa aroma.

I served this to myself a little cooler than I should have, so the brew initially poured slowly and produced little head. After I let it warm up a tad, it produced a much better dark khaki head, which didn't last too long, and didn't leave much lacing.

This stout's taste is dominated by the sweet and better burnt malts, but a little citricy too. This also gives hints of semi-sweet chocolate. I'd say plain cheesecake would be a great desert to have with this brew.

I found this to be richly smooth at first, but a bit coarse after I let the brew warm up a bit.

TheSarge

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured an opaque black, with a 1 inch dark mocha head, that left decent lacing on the glass. The aroma is of chocolate and roasted malts. The taste is much like the aroma, roasted malts and light chocolate, being the most detectable. This is one of thee best stouts available IMO. The mouthfeel is thick, like a stout should be. A very drinkable beer!! This is what I picture a stout should taste like. Thankyou Rogue for making this brew available year round.

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a two finger espresso foam colored head that recedes to a foam ring at the edges, yet leaves some spotty lacing. Body is almost black, being the darkest possible brown. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - rich, hearty aroma of roasted malt, dark crusted malt bread, chocolate. Some smokiness, and hint of caramel. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the nose. Palate awash in smoky, roasted malt, malt bread with dark crusts, much chocolate, some caramel. Very rich, very hearty. Smoky, roasted malt lingers on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - very full bodied, chewy, some hop oil slickness (even though hops are not at all present on the palate, or even in the nose ) , and slightly dry at times.

Drinkability - this is excellent. It's very rich, hearty, tasty, and satisfying, and since it's only 6 % abv, it's also entirely sessionable.

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours out an opaque black, so dark that I pick up no hues of ruby when brought towards the light. Thick chocolate milk head reduces to 1/4" and leaves sheets of brown lacing on the glass. Smell is of chocolate covered espresso beans, cherries, dates, and a punch of alcohol. Flavor starts off with smooth dark chocolate which leads into a mildy fruity middle and finishes slightly astringent from the combination of hops and black malt. There's a little lactic twang in there towards the end as well. Hops give off a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel is not too heavy, but still has a chewiness to it. Smooth carbonation. This is ridiculously drinkable.

Too often do stouts just not hit home with me, but Rogue knows how to do them. This and their Chocolate Stout are standouts among American craft brews.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

If this beer was Muhammad Ali it would scream "ooh I'm so pretty" as it poured from bottle to glass.
Indeed. Pretty it is. Body is the color of onyx at midnight and the inch thick head is warm brown cappuccino. Aroma is chocolate and a hint of maple frosting.
The taste is where this really shines, baking chocolate, coffee, subtle nuttiness, and a caress of hops in the finish. Very nicely done.

4.39/5  rDev +5.5%

Serving Date: 12 December 2006

A deep black pour with a short, thick, dark-tan head. Slighty sour, but not particularly pungent aroma. Taste of enjoyable sour/bitter mix. Smooth in the mouth and rolls down the tongue from an initial sharpness on the tip of the tongue to a lingering slightly sour, bburnt coffee flavor in the back of the mouth.

Very enjoyable stout. At first, I was not overly impressed by it, but as I made my way through the first few swigs, it rounded out to be a very tasty pour.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

Rogue's Shakespeare Stout pours out with a rocky brown head over a black
brew. According to the Rogue website, "Victorian England recognized Oatmeal
Stouts nutritional value and it is traditionally the drink of choice for nursing mothers
and athletes". Nose is of molasses, roasted malt, and bitter chocolate. There is
no apparent carbonation, and the head collapses into lace. Flavor is of dark malt,
unsweetened chocolate, and hops. Mouthfeel is tingly, aftertaste is of chocolate
and hops. This is a pretty good example of the breed, not as overbearing as some
stouts, yet still worthy of your respect. For the contemplative drinker, preferably in the
dead of winter. It doesn't say on their website or on the bottle but I get the feeling that
this beer comes in at 4-5% alcohol by volume.

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Poured from a 22oz brown bottle into a tall, thin, mug. Bottle states "ebony in color with a rich, creamy head, an earthy flavor that comes from oats and a mellow chocolate aftertaste." 15 degrees pPlato, 69 IBU, 77AA, 135.48 degrees L.

Appearance: Pours with a 2-3 inch medium to dark tan head. Falls slowly to a thin coat of foam with some lacing. Beer itself is black, nearly opaque.

Smell: Roasted barley is the predominant smell.

Taste: Hop bitterness upfront flavor vice in the finish as usual. Finishes with roasted barley.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation, decent body.

Drinkability: A good, drinkable stout, but not as rich and creamy as many stouts available.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I forgot that I had this beer. I remembered today, and I'm glad. Holy shit. It has a nice licorice chocolate malt smell. It has a great head that just won't leave and retention that I can't get off. The mouthfeel is crisp and full. This is pretty easy to drink. A great cold weather brew.

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%

Apperance: Poured perfectly black into an imperial pint glass. This is the 1st beer that I've reviewed that is perfectly black, even when held up to a light. The head is a very dark tan, very creamy and tight, but does not last long. Some lacing, mostly at the original liquid-air interface after each drink.

Aroma-Smells mainly of roasted malts, coffee. Also something that smells yeasty to me in the beginning, but that smell quickly dissipates.

Taste- begins with lightly bitter coffee on the tip of the toungue and intensifies at the back. As I swish it around in my mouth, I get a different bitterness in every part. A nice complexity for a stout.

Mouthfeel is good. A nice, oily feel that lets you know you actually have some beer in your mouth. Carbonation level is perfect.

Drinkability-very good if you like stouts (I do). Not a beer I'd drink during the day, but a great beer for just sitting in front of the tube and vegging out after a tough day at work.

Caution...failry bitter and slightly acidic. If you have acid-reflux, make sure you have some Tums ready.

3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

A: Big citrus/piney hops up front with a roasty and caramel backbone. Some light fruitiness at the end.

App: Black, like thick coffee. Tan, long lasting head. Some lacing, but not incredible.

F: Roasted malts dominate, blending with a resinous hop bitterness. Some very mild sweetness peeks in at the back of the tongue, but is overwhelmed by the dry finish and roasted astringency. No real coffee flavor, but the finish carries an astringency that is reminiscent of coffee. Light fruit lingers in aftertaste.

M: Med-high carbonation leaves a prickly sensation on the tongue, and enhances dry finish. I was expecting a heavy, mouth-coating stout, but was pleasantly surprised by the medium-light (relatively light for style) body.

O: An orgy of roasted malts. Nothing is overly extreme about this brew, but I feel that the body doesn't support the strong roasted character. A subtle sweetness is present, and the body is a bit light but neither are enough to fully support the resinous/citrus hop and roasted malts. Still, I could drink the hell out of this. Thanks again, Rogue!

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a dark black with light brown creamy head. Head stays for a bit but eventually dissipates to just a fine coat ontop of the stout. Leaves a nice fine lacing around the glass.

Aroma smells roasted, with hints of coffe and citrus hop. Very nice aroma.

Tastes initially strongly of roasted malts, coffee-like flavor. Mellows a bit to chocolate and caramel flavors, with a nice, slightly bitter hop finish.

A solid stout that is surprisingly drinkable. One of the best stouts I have had to date.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the 22 oz bottle poured very black. Head was light brown and about two fingers tall and left a nice ring of lacing. They actually make it beautiful because of the great head.

Nose is a very distinct roasted malt with chocolate.

What makes this brew so interesting is the exceptional smooth mouthfeel, and balance between the hops and chocolate. Both sweet and bitter at the same time. I do not know how they do this but it works.

Excellent finish and great flavors make this a simply excellent stout

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

I've been drinking Shakespeare Stout for years but hadn't had one for awhile... I have to admit, while it's good, it's not the amazing experience that I remember. I think that I've gotten to enjoy stouts less and less over the years...

Poured with a medium brown stupendous head that lasted for quite awhile... pitch black in color.

Aroma is fairly non descript, with roasty and coffee notes predominant as well as a definite hop presence.

Taste is composed of a few elements, chiefly coffee and dark chocolate, with some very interesting spicy hop notes that taste a little of black pepper or chile pepper... hard to say exactly what it is that's in there but it adds a nice twist. It's also got some dark cherry to the flavor and I can definitely taste the oatmeal stout character from the oatmeal Rogue adds to it.

Mouthfeel's a bit thinner than I'd ask for... fairly drinkable.

I had this with a bit of gouda... didn't really add much to the flavor. I think this would be best enjoyed with a bit of sweet chocolate, or a steak.

Overall a good stout, but I find myself finding the standard stout less and less likeable over the years and finding imperial and Russian stouts much more interesting.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

pours a very deep black, not as thick/inky-looking as some stouts. thin chocolate brown head appears, and quickly gives way to a thin ring that lingers. smell is heavy in hops and roasted malts, with only faint hints of chocolate and coffee. the taste is surprisingly big compared to the smell. very sweet up front, with a big hops kick at the finish. sweet chocolate and coffee flavors are immediately apparent, with a heavy roasted taste lingering after the swallow. the hops content is a surprise here, as it seems to be significantly higher than i've come to expect in a stout. it's a wonderful addition, though, adding a slight citric refreshing quality to the beer. this is an absolutely wonderful stout.

4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

What can I say about this beer that has not already been said. For me this is the standard for stouts.
Pours pitch black. It's as black as a night coon hunting with out a moon to guide your way and your batteries in your flashlight have given thier final jolt of energy. 1/4" chocolate milk colored head that recedes to a thin ring. Small ring of lace at the crown.
Smells like a rich roasted hot chocolate.
The interplay between bitterness and sweetness in this beer is amazing. Very rich in flavor with out being over the top in alcohol. Acidic and slightly bitter at the beginning. Sweet mild milk chocolate in the finish and a subtle bitter aftertaste.
This is one smooth beer. Full yet very smooth in the mouthfeel.
The low abv and the incredible smoothness makes this a very drinkable beer. This is one that I do not want to stop drinking.
Overall I recommend it to the point that you are doing you tastebuds a disservice if you do not allow them the oppertunity to taste this.
I went to the Weinhouse in Asheville to look around. The kind salesman asked me what kind of beers I liked and I told him that I liked dark beers. He recommend Shakespeare Stout to me. After drinking it I liked it so much I decided to learn more about it on the internet. Some how I followed links to this website and the rest is history.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz silkscreened bottle, poured into an Imperial pint glass. Head starts off as a creamy, chocolate milk colored froth, but quickly finishes to thin ring. Body color is black, pure black that no light can penetrate.

Smell is of a roasted coffee, with notes of toffee and chocolate hinted. Taste starts off as a strong black coffee, but then shifts to a sweeter toffee/chocolate combo, and then finishes with a mild hops bitterness. The bitter/sweet/bitter combo is very interesting.

Mouthfeel is full bodied and slightly creamy. I think I would have liked it to be a bit creamier, but still very enjoyable with dessert. I have yet to go wrong with a Rogue beer. Good stuff.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

22oz. Bomber
$4.99
Binny's Orland

Poured jet black into an imperial pint glass. If I look hard enough and hold it to the light I can faintly see a mahogany shimmer. The head is amazing after the pour. Two fingers of billowy milk chocolatey goodness that makes itself very comfortable but eventually fades to a cap. Thin micro bubbled lacing after each sip.

Smells mainly of roasted malts. There's some cocoa powder in there as well along with the smallest amount of burnt malts. I can pick up a little cascade hoppiness at first but it fades to the malts rather quickly. As this beer warms I even pick up sweet tobacco. Smells like a perfect beer to drink on this cold evening.

Tastes begins with mellow bitter coffee beans and intensifies by mid-palate. On the swallow the coffee beans turn themselves in to a creamy cappucino with a touch of milk chocolate in the aftertaste that makes a nice accompaniment. The more I drink the more the bitterness lingers in the finish. Very nicely done.

Mouthfeel is good. I would like it better if it was a little more creamy in the mouth but it's still good. theres some carbonation that makes this beer feel lively and keeps it moving like it should. Finishes moderately dry and clean.

For a stout the drinkability is pretty high. Being cold like it is right now I could easily drink a couple of these bombers. If it was a warm day I don't think it would be as easy to put down.

This is a really clean well made stout. I am constantly finding myself impressed with each new Rogue I pick up.

Slainte!

4.58/5  rDev +10.1%

A-Black body with a thick brown head.Brown lacing on the glass.Lighter color head towards the center of the glass.

S-Burnt nuts,fruit and hints of coffee.

T-Roasted nuts and fruit.The fruit is maybe oranges.

M-Thick and creamy,goes down very smooth.Some minor carbonation on my tongue.

D-I like this stuff.I think im getting a taste for Stouts and this stuff in a great example.Very Good.Highly Recommended.This is a very easy stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a pint glass, the Shakespeare Stout pours a very, very dark brown with a tan head. Decent lacing with this beer. It smells like chocolate, roasted malt, coffee and a bit of hops. It tastes the same way to me, except that the coffee/bitter chocolate taste is strong, and it finishes with a bitter aftertaste. It's full bodied, and the mouthfeel is nice and creamy. The drinkability is high too, it's good and smooth. Another great beer from Rogue, I'd recommend it to any stout lovers out there.

4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

had this a while ago recovering my notes from last summer

pours black with very tan head that is thick smells of chocolate roasted coffees and malts also there tasted of chocolates with roasted coffee and one can detect the presence of some hops this all mixes together to make one great beer

ive had this beer many times and i definitely recommend it to anybody who loves stouts

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Love this beer, and was really excited to get it on site at Rogue for a taste. Creamy tan head won't go away--even on the second draft I had in a plastic cup. Chocolate on chocolate in the nose and taste, and smooth and creamy big malt makes it a very easy beer to drink for as good as it is. Maybe my favorite American stout after Storm King.

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

Got this one in a 22oz bottle. Poured a nice thick black color with a brown head, which stayed until the bottom. Smelled of chocolate and some spice. When it first hits your taste buds you immediately notice the sweetness and malt, some roastiness as well. The aftertaste is best noted with hops. Its a medium bodied brew with light carbonation, perfect for this style, could use a little more body though. Overall it’s a great stout with not too high ABV so not too difficult to drink.

Poured a nice black color with a tan colored head leaving pretty good lacing. Smell was roasty, chocolate-y, and hoppy as well. Taste was full of chocolate upfront, followed by a roasty and hoppy finish. Mouthfeel was a little less than full bodied, with medium carbonation. Certainly a good beer worth a visit once in a while, I just don't seem to pick it up that often. Pretty much a must try, and should be widely available enough, that this is no problem.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales