Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,610 | Ratings: 3,435
4.46/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured jet black with a small disappearing head that leaves an appealing tan head for the duration. A caramel aroma with some grapefruit hints seems ordinary. Shakespeare goes down very easy with a great roasted flavor. This bomber went very quickly, i'm disappointed the packy only had one cause i want more!

3.87/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a big 22 oz bottle.
This is about as attractive as a stout can be I suppose. Dark black with no light coming through. Dark tan head, it looked like a cup of strong coffee.
It smelled wonderful, lots of malty goodness and whatnot.
The taste was nice, but I've had stouts I've enjoyed more. The highlight here was the strong presence of roasted flavors, like charred toast and espresso. Otherwise this was a little tangy, a little sweet.
The mouthfeel was nice and thick, but I felt like it was over carbonated and that took away from the smooth quality this would otherwise have had.
Pretty nice stout, I'd buy it again.

3.94/5  rDev -5.3%

Served on tap at some Italian restaurant I visited while in North Carolina.

A: As a barista, the first thing that struck me about this beer was how much like espresso it looked. Black body that let almost no light through, creamy brown one finger head that dissipated slowly. Left moderate to heavy amounts of lacing. Really a beautiful beer, especially to someone like me who loves coffee.

S: Malty, coffee/espresso hints, chocolate.

T: Amazing. A lot of malts up front, some chocolate and coffee, followed by a slight hint of hops and coffee to finish. I feel like my years of being a coffee snob (no Starbucks for me) have led me to this beer.

M: Creamy, a little bit of carbonation, just the right amount. \

D: This is a sipper. It took me the whole meal to get through one, but it was worth it.

I will definitely seek this beer out again. One of the better beers I've had.

4.59/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is fantastic oatmeal stout - pours dark and creamy with a mocha-like head. Complex aroma of toasted malt, expresso, and dark chocolate. A profound taste combining rich toasted malt with a surprising infusion of almost citrus-like hops. Long lingering finish that reflects the taste of the beer. A must try for any stout lover.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

Well then, had a chance to have this on tap. A few subtle differences, but not much. Nice dark, dark brown with a very brown head. Malty, chocolaty, espresso smell, and loaded with about the same flavor. It seemed to me the hoppiness wasn't as predominate in the tap version. But this doesn't make it bad, just a little less exciting. Full bodied with only a little bite from the carbonation. As stated before, I will continue to drink these, over and over again.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

I'm in Medford, Oregon on business, and picked up a bomber of Shakespeare Stout to drink after a long day.

I first drank this beer years ago, and other than remembering that it was good, couldn't really remember why.

The stout poured beautifully, and left a rich, creamy head; reminiscent of a nitro delivered ale at a brewpub! The head dissipated a bit more quickly than I would have preferred, but left a nice lace on the glass as I drank.

My first impression was, "what a great nightcap, tastes like coffee!" The roasted coffee flavor hit my palate first, followed by chocolate and a tang of hops.

This is a great stout-- one I will not wait to revisit for so long again!

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

This is good, I like it. Unlike a lot of their other beers, this one isn't laced with chocolate or chipotle or ham, which turns me off to some of their offerings. This is a good, solid, well-balanced stout that fits a nice cool spring evening. Mouthfeel is better than normal with this one, something I'm usually indifferent about. The taste is solid, with a healthy amount of roasty hops carrying it from front to back. Overall a good stout. Probably not as complex as some people like. But it's very good in its simplicity.

3.9/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Pours a deep brown-based black with 2 fingers of brown, chunky head that dissipates quickly to a ring of brown foam that falls quickly.

S- A fairly fruity malt scent smells of raisins and other dried fruits. Very light hop scent.

T- Malty, slightly grainy with a light chocolate taste.

M- Moderate mouthfeel with light carbonation. Sweet aftertaste. Quite light -- pretty good.

D- Quite drinkable. Enjoyable and not too heavy.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottle poured into a chalice.

deep black in color with a pale caramel colored head that is frothy an very large for stout. Thick clumps of foam (can't really call that lace) cling to the glass.

Chocolate malt gives this stout a very smooth aroma. Smells pretty sweet, like date bread, with the Cascades adding to that a bit.

This is a very subtle brew in flavor but complex nonetheless. Bittered quite well, the citrus flavors of the Cascade is perfectly in tune with both the faint coffee notes and the dark chocolate that is present from start to finish. A bit of astringency and the end before a sweeter, choco-caramel aftertaste.

Nice and soft, a bit slippery but still dry finishing. The big head got me thinking overcarb but not the case at all as it turns out, just right in that department as well.

I found this stout to be one of the more drinkable stouts I've had. It's subtlety is more desirable with every sip.

A very solid stout in my opinion. A great interpretation of a classic English stout, bastardized by Rogue to produce another winner. Nicely done, I'll be buying more.

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

As black as night. With a nice tan cloud cover. Rogue's trademark hoppiness is present in the nose along with a nice toasty aroma. This is my favorite style of stout. Dry and hoppy. Not too rich, making it very drinkable in the long haul. A session stout if there ever was one. An after taste almost like burnt toast and I mean that in the most yummy sense of burnt toast (the die hards know what I mean). This might be my favorite stout ever, I have to think about it. While I finish my pint.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a very fine beer. It pours very dark, black brown, dark tan head. It has a very sweet smell to it, yet the taste is somewhat bitter. Very good flavors, its toasty, chocolaty, hoppy. Very drinkable. Tastes similar to Rogue's chocolate stout, but it is more bitter.

3.32/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: 650ml bottle no bottling date. Pours very dark, black. Fine bubbles that dissipate quickly, with a head that is 1 and a half fingers.

Smell: I found the smell to be very faint, but it was of coffee and cocoa with hints of apricots and seltzer water.

Taste: Sweet and like seltzer water on the tip of the tongue. Coffee and cocoa hints on the sides of the tongue, with a slight acidity. Mild hop finish

Mouthfeel: Like seltzer water from the carbonation, not thick or syrupy at all.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, more than I thought it would be. Does not kill the pallet with coffee or hops notes and could be sipped all night.

I was a little disappointed with this beer, I was hoping for the coffee and cocoa notes to be more present.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Very dark chocolate in color, looks almost like root beer with a minimal creamy tan head

Aroma: It smells amazing, like desert but in beer form. The aroma is deliciously malty with deep dark chocolate undertones that seem to fade into coffee and espresso scents after sitting at room temp for a few minutes. Delicious.

Taste: Malty and choclately, but not heavily or overpoweringly chocolately at all.... Just like a hint of chocolate mixed with the delicious malts and surprisingly - but refreshingly - bitter (in my opinion) hit of hops. On the back side, it is sweet and dry with tastes of oatmeal

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy in mouth, but not heavy

Drinkability: It is easy gong down and not too big or difficult to drink. It is sweet enough that I'm enjoying it as desert, and I think would be best enjoyed in this type of setting.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

What a wonderful stout. Not too harsh, smooth, nice creamy head that seemed to stay a while. Even a Bud Light drinker friend I was with enjoyed it. The bartender suggested it, and I found his suggestion admirable. Seemingly a typical stout, but as a typical stout, this one is still very memorable and I will ask for it again, if I can find it.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh shakesphere Stout, how I've missed thee.

For the first time in over three years, this nectar of the gods is available in my home town. They say that time changes things, that what you look back on fondly, won't always have that same magic after an extended period away. I can say with zero trepidation, that's not the case here. Yes this is every bit as great, as I remember it being.

Let's start with the look of the beer. Lovely to say the very least. Nearly jet black with a beautiful creamy head. This is the type of beer, that would scare lesser beer drinkers by the look alone and that's a definite shame... oh well more for me!

The smell: divine. A perfect cross between chocolate malts and citrusy cascade hops. A Stout-IPA hybrid of sorts from a scent perspective, It's almost like smelling two different beers, and I mean that in a good way.

The taste: again simply awesome.

Acidic... citrusy.... chocolate in the finish. This is truly one complex stout and makes the likes of Guinness pale in comparison (and this is coming from someone who still enjoys a Guinness from time to time)

This is a classic in every sense of the word and worthy of any and all accolades it recieves. If this isn't the world's best stout, it's no doubt in the top five.

Heavenly and boy am I ever glad to again have access to it!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer pours black with a small but frothy tan head. Smell of burnt malt, a touch of caramel, and those signature hops. Taste starts with roasted malt, which gives the taste a creamy mouth feel, the sweetness of the malt is balanced with hop bitterness, and it finishes with coffee and chocolate tastes, still with a lot of crisp hops sticking around.

The malt and the hops are balanced very well in this beer. I didn’t think I would like it, but the hops don’t overrun the malt.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

Appreance- Dark in color, much like regular stouts. Chocolate-colored head.

Smell- Roasted malts, coffee, oatmeal and a slight hint of brown sugar.

Taste- Incredibly easy to drink. Taste of coffee lingers on the tongue and coats the mouth. The taste of oatmeal also lingers in the smell.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth

Overall- Great stout. Easily my favorite at the moment. Has set the bar for my expectations in other stouts.

Serving type: 22oz bomber.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

I've just returned from a local restaurant/beer bar where I had the Shakespeare Stout (ok, well two of them) along with dinner. Very tasty (with a very agreeable finish) though a bit thinner than I would have expected. This is a minor quibble though as this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Highly recommended, esp in the big bottles.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

As for the beer's merits, I have nothing to add to the reviews of (e.g.) the Brothers Alstrom. For me, this beer had three drawbacks:

1) I know Oatmeal Stouts can be hoppy, and I probably should have expected as much from Rogue. But I prefer oatmeal stouts that aren't so hop-forward. The hops don't overpower by any means, but they are a little more pronounced than I'd prefer.

2) Even with the hops, the taste and mouthfeel were very good, but...this one left my throat feeling coated. And there was a slight burnt aftertaste that lingered. I know that oatmeal stouts aren't meant to be thirst quenchers, but this one's lingering viscosity got on my nerves.

3) The price. I probably should win a prize for being the 1,000,000th person to mention this, but I don't understand Rogue's inflated price point.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: jet black with a quickly diminishing coffee brown head. good lacing.

Aroma: Roasty aroma with some malt and a very faint alcoholic smell.

Taste: roasted coffee bean. nice and bitter. full with a nice malt with a minimal hop profile. Balanced and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: nice and full with a moderate body and moderate carbonation. wonderfully bitter, dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer that I loved having after dinner.

Notes: Oh yeah this is a great example of an American Stout. Nearly flawless.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard US tumbler

*side note* This is my first stout besides Guinness, so take this review with a grain of salt

A-This one one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Almost completly black with a medium thick brown head. Perfect lacing.

S- Roasted malts are the main scent.

T-Not as sweet as one might expect. The main flavor I got was of roasted malts. The finish is a weird battle; some sips there is a nice burnt chocolate finish, then the next will be very dry and hoppy.

MF-About the same thickness of a standard guinness, possibly thinner.

D-I think this is a nice beer to nurse at the end of a long day, but I can't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall, this is not quite what I was expecting from a craft stout, but that just shows me that there are many things to learn about beer. I look forward to reviewing more very soon.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice dark black with a dark tan head. Smells of alcohol with faint hop aroma. Burned wood aroma also mixed in there.

I was impressed with the excellent head retention. Creates rings on the glass as your drink it down...as a good Stout should.

Presentation is in typical Rouge fashion, in a 22oz. bottle with a nice little Rouge cap.

Inital flavor is of smoke and charred wood. Nice balance, not too overpowering. Sweet undertones, and excellent aftertaste.

Tasty drink. I'm a bigger fan of some of the other Rouge offerings, but this is definetly a winner.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

pours very dark and thick -very little carbonation - so far so good. smells of chocolate.
taste - hmmm its like coffee; a slight bit of maltyness and chocolate traces, and a bit of hops thrown in as well, giving it a brighter taste with a slight bitter aftertaste. overall though the coffee flavor dominates...
this one is a very good stout; all rogues seem so high quality, just a few ingredients and seems very natural and pure. good solid shit. problem with this one is its so rich and deep and heavy(despite low abv!) that although its a damn good beer in small doses its difficult to finish the bomber cause it becomes just too much after a while.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Saw this on tap at local pizza restaurant and had to try it!

A - Poured deep black with a small, tan head. Moved heavily in the glass and coated the sides as it moved. Looked creamy and delicious right off the bat.

S - roasted coffee, dark chocolate, with a hint of citrus coming through from the hops. A very complex flavor experience that changed with each sip and complemented my pizza wonderfully.

M - Exceptional! Creamy and velvety, felt luxurious with a nice weight to it.

D - Surprisingly drinkable, given its sheer weight and texture. I could have kept on going for 3 or 4 more.

Highly recommended - a fine stout.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

A solid stout with a near black appearance and a chocolate smell sure to please any chocoholic. It doesn't stop there: the taste of chocolate is prevelent in the taste (though not as strong as the beer's brother: Rogue chocolate stout) . There is a light coffee and slightly more noticeable caramel overtone. A rich, thick mouthfeel, it is a beer that you can drink as a session beer.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales