Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Reviews: 1,600 | Ratings: 3,407
4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

As black as night. With a nice tan cloud cover. Rogue's trademark hoppiness is present in the nose along with a nice toasty aroma. This is my favorite style of stout. Dry and hoppy. Not too rich, making it very drinkable in the long haul. A session stout if there ever was one. An after taste almost like burnt toast and I mean that in the most yummy sense of burnt toast (the die hards know what I mean). This might be my favorite stout ever, I have to think about it. While I finish my pint.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a very fine beer. It pours very dark, black brown, dark tan head. It has a very sweet smell to it, yet the taste is somewhat bitter. Very good flavors, its toasty, chocolaty, hoppy. Very drinkable. Tastes similar to Rogue's chocolate stout, but it is more bitter.

3.32/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance: 650ml bottle no bottling date. Pours very dark, black. Fine bubbles that dissipate quickly, with a head that is 1 and a half fingers.

Smell: I found the smell to be very faint, but it was of coffee and cocoa with hints of apricots and seltzer water.

Taste: Sweet and like seltzer water on the tip of the tongue. Coffee and cocoa hints on the sides of the tongue, with a slight acidity. Mild hop finish

Mouthfeel: Like seltzer water from the carbonation, not thick or syrupy at all.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, more than I thought it would be. Does not kill the pallet with coffee or hops notes and could be sipped all night.

I was a little disappointed with this beer, I was hoping for the coffee and cocoa notes to be more present.

4.53/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Very dark chocolate in color, looks almost like root beer with a minimal creamy tan head

Aroma: It smells amazing, like desert but in beer form. The aroma is deliciously malty with deep dark chocolate undertones that seem to fade into coffee and espresso scents after sitting at room temp for a few minutes. Delicious.

Taste: Malty and choclately, but not heavily or overpoweringly chocolately at all.... Just like a hint of chocolate mixed with the delicious malts and surprisingly - but refreshingly - bitter (in my opinion) hit of hops. On the back side, it is sweet and dry with tastes of oatmeal

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy in mouth, but not heavy

Drinkability: It is easy gong down and not too big or difficult to drink. It is sweet enough that I'm enjoying it as desert, and I think would be best enjoyed in this type of setting.

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

What a wonderful stout. Not too harsh, smooth, nice creamy head that seemed to stay a while. Even a Bud Light drinker friend I was with enjoyed it. The bartender suggested it, and I found his suggestion admirable. Seemingly a typical stout, but as a typical stout, this one is still very memorable and I will ask for it again, if I can find it.

4.7/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahh shakesphere Stout, how I've missed thee.

For the first time in over three years, this nectar of the gods is available in my home town. They say that time changes things, that what you look back on fondly, won't always have that same magic after an extended period away. I can say with zero trepidation, that's not the case here. Yes this is every bit as great, as I remember it being.

Let's start with the look of the beer. Lovely to say the very least. Nearly jet black with a beautiful creamy head. This is the type of beer, that would scare lesser beer drinkers by the look alone and that's a definite shame... oh well more for me!

The smell: divine. A perfect cross between chocolate malts and citrusy cascade hops. A Stout-IPA hybrid of sorts from a scent perspective, It's almost like smelling two different beers, and I mean that in a good way.

The taste: again simply awesome.

Acidic... citrusy.... chocolate in the finish. This is truly one complex stout and makes the likes of Guinness pale in comparison (and this is coming from someone who still enjoys a Guinness from time to time)

This is a classic in every sense of the word and worthy of any and all accolades it recieves. If this isn't the world's best stout, it's no doubt in the top five.

Heavenly and boy am I ever glad to again have access to it!

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer pours black with a small but frothy tan head. Smell of burnt malt, a touch of caramel, and those signature hops. Taste starts with roasted malt, which gives the taste a creamy mouth feel, the sweetness of the malt is balanced with hop bitterness, and it finishes with coffee and chocolate tastes, still with a lot of crisp hops sticking around.

The malt and the hops are balanced very well in this beer. I didn’t think I would like it, but the hops don’t overrun the malt.

4.27/5  rDev +2.6%

Appreance- Dark in color, much like regular stouts. Chocolate-colored head.

Smell- Roasted malts, coffee, oatmeal and a slight hint of brown sugar.

Taste- Incredibly easy to drink. Taste of coffee lingers on the tongue and coats the mouth. The taste of oatmeal also lingers in the smell.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth

Overall- Great stout. Easily my favorite at the moment. Has set the bar for my expectations in other stouts.

Serving type: 22oz bomber.

4.7/5  rDev +13%

I've just returned from a local restaurant/beer bar where I had the Shakespeare Stout (ok, well two of them) along with dinner. Very tasty (with a very agreeable finish) though a bit thinner than I would have expected. This is a minor quibble though as this is one of the best stouts I've ever had. Highly recommended, esp in the big bottles.

4.47/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: jet black with a quickly diminishing coffee brown head. good lacing.

Aroma: Roasty aroma with some malt and a very faint alcoholic smell.

Taste: roasted coffee bean. nice and bitter. full with a nice malt with a minimal hop profile. Balanced and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: nice and full with a moderate body and moderate carbonation. wonderfully bitter, dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: Very drinkable beer that I loved having after dinner.

Notes: Oh yeah this is a great example of an American Stout. Nearly flawless.

3.86/5  rDev -7.2%

As for the beer's merits, I have nothing to add to the reviews of (e.g.) the Brothers Alstrom. For me, this beer had three drawbacks:

1) I know Oatmeal Stouts can be hoppy, and I probably should have expected as much from Rogue. But I prefer oatmeal stouts that aren't so hop-forward. The hops don't overpower by any means, but they are a little more pronounced than I'd prefer.

2) Even with the hops, the taste and mouthfeel were very good, but...this one left my throat feeling coated. And there was a slight burnt aftertaste that lingered. I know that oatmeal stouts aren't meant to be thirst quenchers, but this one's lingering viscosity got on my nerves.

3) The price. I probably should win a prize for being the 1,000,000th person to mention this, but I don't understand Rogue's inflated price point.

3.49/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from the bottle into a standard US tumbler

*side note* This is my first stout besides Guinness, so take this review with a grain of salt

A-This one one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Almost completly black with a medium thick brown head. Perfect lacing.

S- Roasted malts are the main scent.

T-Not as sweet as one might expect. The main flavor I got was of roasted malts. The finish is a weird battle; some sips there is a nice burnt chocolate finish, then the next will be very dry and hoppy.

MF-About the same thickness of a standard guinness, possibly thinner.

D-I think this is a nice beer to nurse at the end of a long day, but I can't see myself drinking more than one.

Overall, this is not quite what I was expecting from a craft stout, but that just shows me that there are many things to learn about beer. I look forward to reviewing more very soon.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a nice dark black with a dark tan head. Smells of alcohol with faint hop aroma. Burned wood aroma also mixed in there.

I was impressed with the excellent head retention. Creates rings on the glass as your drink it down...as a good Stout should.

Presentation is in typical Rouge fashion, in a 22oz. bottle with a nice little Rouge cap.

Inital flavor is of smoke and charred wood. Nice balance, not too overpowering. Sweet undertones, and excellent aftertaste.

Tasty drink. I'm a bigger fan of some of the other Rouge offerings, but this is definetly a winner.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

pours very dark and thick -very little carbonation - so far so good. smells of chocolate.
taste - hmmm its like coffee; a slight bit of maltyness and chocolate traces, and a bit of hops thrown in as well, giving it a brighter taste with a slight bitter aftertaste. overall though the coffee flavor dominates...
this one is a very good stout; all rogues seem so high quality, just a few ingredients and seems very natural and pure. good solid shit. problem with this one is its so rich and deep and heavy(despite low abv!) that although its a damn good beer in small doses its difficult to finish the bomber cause it becomes just too much after a while.

4.43/5  rDev +6.5%

Saw this on tap at local pizza restaurant and had to try it!

A - Poured deep black with a small, tan head. Moved heavily in the glass and coated the sides as it moved. Looked creamy and delicious right off the bat.

S - roasted coffee, dark chocolate, with a hint of citrus coming through from the hops. A very complex flavor experience that changed with each sip and complemented my pizza wonderfully.

M - Exceptional! Creamy and velvety, felt luxurious with a nice weight to it.

D - Surprisingly drinkable, given its sheer weight and texture. I could have kept on going for 3 or 4 more.

Highly recommended - a fine stout.

4.77/5  rDev +14.7%

A solid stout with a near black appearance and a chocolate smell sure to please any chocoholic. It doesn't stop there: the taste of chocolate is prevelent in the taste (though not as strong as the beer's brother: Rogue chocolate stout) . There is a light coffee and slightly more noticeable caramel overtone. A rich, thick mouthfeel, it is a beer that you can drink as a session beer.

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours straight black with a nice full tan head that doesn't last as long as I wish. The head does leave nice lacing behind though. Smellsof dark roasted coffee and a touch of chocolate as well. This beer tastes of roasted coffee with some light hints of chocolate. Has a bit of sweet licoricy finish. Though it's not a favorite of mine, it's still a very solid stout.

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - Pours a dark brown with a tan head that sticks around for a while.

S - Not overpowering. Malty, with hints of coffee and caramel. Some smokiness.

T/M/D - Smooth and creamy but light (not as thick as say, Guinness), a slight burnt taste, slightly milky and very mildly sweet. Settles in nicely, and leaves a little bit of a lingering aftertaste. Pretty good stout.

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Into a Sam Adams BL glass it goes. Pours an opaque black with an enormous tan head with very good retention and lacing. A rich roasty and nutty aroma with strong charcoal and coffee notes and subtle chocolate malt notes not far behind. Not as much chocolate taste than I was expecting from the nose but more earthy, coffee and heavy charcoal. I'm getting a decent chocolate aroma in the nose after a good mouthfeel. Medium/moderate body leaves a bitter dry finish.
Overall: this is a very well made/considered stout that is a wonderful representation of the style. If someone asked me what and American Stout tastes like I would undoubtedly point them here.

4.28/5  rDev +2.9%

Dark mysterious black body with a dark tan head. No lacing but bubbles stick to the glass under the surface. Burnt malt nose with expected Rogue hoppiness present. Nice malty taste with some chocolate and hops. Coffee finish that is a bit dry from all of the hops, I presume. A nice smooth feel to it that is almost a bit watery. Enjoyable brew. A bit on the pricey side though, therefore hurting the drinkability for me.

Poured ink black with a nice brown head and good lacing and head retension. Absolutely no light coming through this brew. Nice chocolaty smell.

Some fruit up front with a nice chocolate presence and a mild bitter finish.

Creamy mouthfeel and I thought it had pretty good drinkability. I'm don't have a lot of experience with stouts, but I thougt this was very good, just not the best I've had.

4.84/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance: solid, impenetrably black. Thin head, low carbonation. A very understated looking stout. Not the special effect show of a nitro pour.

Smell: everything you have ever thought about in a stout is in here: chocolate, honey, toffee, roast beef, smoky wood, toasted grains, ripe fruit, coffee & much more. A knock your socks off kind of aroma, sold, rich, powerful & sweet.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: bitter & full flavor, sweet & nutty, oak & burgundy. A host of flavor swirls in your mouth, a powerhouse taste sensation. Yummy beer meal goodness finish.

Drinkability: is so good you will have no problems putting down several of these. Don’t expect to be hungry for some time, but you won’t be worrying about that. A stunningly good beer.

Ave

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

The beer is deep black with a medium tan head. The head has died down to a thin film and there is some spotty lacing on the glass.

I smell a bit of chocolate and coffee.

The main flavor is a rich roasted flavor reminiscent of dark chocolate and coffee. This dominant flavor is perfectly blended with a citrus hoppiness. An excellent balance leading to a very, very good beer.

The mouthfeel is very appropriate for the style—a bit thick with a medium level of carbonation.

This beer is a pleasure to drink, so full of flavor and rich—just wonderful.

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%

Appearance - Dark brown/black with a thick coffee-colored head. Lots of retention and sticking to the sides of the glass.

Smell - Lots of dark, toasted aroma. Mostly espresso, dark chocolate as well. Also some lighter fruit and pine coming through the darkness.

Taste - Like drinking melted bittersweet chocolate. While a little sweet, there's a sharp bitterness from all the hops that results in a dry finish. Fairly light mouthfeel, not overly thick.

Drinkability - While quite hoppy for a stout, the bitterness matches the dark chocolate perfectly. Drank this with a very rich chocolate/cherry dessert and the flavors were an amazing match. Fantastic.

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

I've been drinking Shakespeare Stout for years but hadn't had one for awhile... I have to admit, while it's good, it's not the amazing experience that I remember. I think that I've gotten to enjoy stouts less and less over the years...

Poured with a medium brown stupendous head that lasted for quite awhile... pitch black in color.

Aroma is fairly non descript, with roasty and coffee notes predominant as well as a definite hop presence.

Taste is composed of a few elements, chiefly coffee and dark chocolate, with some very interesting spicy hop notes that taste a little of black pepper or chile pepper... hard to say exactly what it is that's in there but it adds a nice twist. It's also got some dark cherry to the flavor and I can definitely taste the oatmeal stout character from the oatmeal Rogue adds to it.

Mouthfeel's a bit thinner than I'd ask for... fairly drinkable.

I had this with a bit of gouda... didn't really add much to the flavor. I think this would be best enjoyed with a bit of sweet chocolate, or a steak.

Overall a good stout, but I find myself finding the standard stout less and less likeable over the years and finding imperial and Russian stouts much more interesting.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales