Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,479 |  Reviews: 1,623
4.21/5  rDev +1.7%

I poured a 650 ml capped bottle, purchased at Yoke's in West Richland, WA, into a mug.

A: It poured as black as ink with a moderate one finger head consisting of massive bubbles that receded fast to a slight ring around the collar. There was little lacing.

S: It smelled of roasted malts, caramel and maple syrup, and black coffee. There are hints of ripe dark cherries, raisins, and smoked almonds.

T: It had flavors that followed the nose with the roasted malts dominating. There were clear flavors of coffee, raisins, caramel and a nice bite of flavoring hops.

M: It was medium to full-bodied with a pleasant sweet profile balanced by the bite of coffee and hops.

D: I am a fan of Rogue and this fine brew does not disappoint. It's aroma and taste, as well as moderate ABV make this a brew that can be a great session drink. Nothing blows you away but everything works well together to produce another fine Rogue product.

3.99/5  rDev -3.6%

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this on tap at Kelly's Olympian in Portland. As usual with Rogue brews, it came at a hefty premium (an extra 75c) over the other craft brews.

Dark as one would expect with a thick, light brown coloured head which made the feel luxurious for the first few sips.

Smells sweet and malty.

As I hinted above, the feel is wonderful. Early on I feel like I am draining a light mousse, but even as the head dissipates the beer still slides down very smoothly.

The taste in sequence: cream; brown bread; chocolate; coffee; hint of hops (nothing like the potency I am used to from Rogue); oatmeal.

Fortunately for me the coffee flavour is very faint, and is insignificant in comparison with the others.

Unusually for a stout I feel that I could down a few of these in a row, although I doubt I would want to. One is enough - a very pleasant stout, but more of curiosity than a session beer for me.

Poured a jet black with a dense, dark brown foamy head. Thick pour like one expects from a strong stout. The first smell I get is the burnt coffee followed by bitter chocolate. Roasted malt aroma is present throughout as well. I detect a faint hops smell as well that complements the rest of the aroma profile. I was prepared for a harsh, bitter taste upfront but this is not the case with this brew. The taste is very similar to the aroma. Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, burnt coffee beans and very slight hops. Unfortunately all these flavors meld together and there isn't one dominant flavor that presents itself but it is still an above average stout. Bitterness certainly appears at the end with a punch but it's on par with other great stouts and not too strong. From the pour I thought I was in a for a thick, sticky, syrupy mouth feel but this brew is quite smooth.

Overall, a solid stout from Rogue. It has all the traditional flavors and smells associated with other stouts. However, for this reason it is fairly forgettable. There are plenty of other stouts on the market you could get more for a cheaper price and you wouldn't be missing out on much from this brew. I probably wouldn't buy this again but only because I know of other stouts I prefer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

3.14/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: Shakespeare Stout pours out nearly black with a full 3 fingers of mocha colored head. Retention is very good, and lacing is very abundant.

Smell: Roasted malts, charcoal, and burned toast form the base of the smell of this beer. Coffee follows, with some pretty strong hop notes on the back end. Honestly, this beer just smells like burned....something. There's not any sweetness to it. Just a burned smell and some hops.

Taste: There's more of the smell in the taste. Roasted malts and burned toast with some coffee. Some noteworthy hops on the back end. Once again, that burned taste really hangs around on this beer. No sweetness from the oats in the beer or anything to balance it out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is between medium and full bodied, and fairly smooth drinking overall. This beer has been given pretty solid reviews by many people. I just don't find it that appealing.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Cloudy brownish black, opaque, single finger creamy head.

Coffee and dark chocolate.

Tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee, nuts as well. Bittersweet finish, not quite fruit but something along those lines. Might be the cascade hops, actually.

Very little carbonation, quite smooth.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a jet black color with no light penetration, and a large tan colored head that leaves nice lacing all the way down the glass, another beauty from rogue. The aroma is a complex blend of coffee, molasses, dark chocolate and maybe dark currants...incredible smell. The taste begins with a sweet blackstrap molasses taste, followed by a dark currant fruity taste as well as dark, bittersweet chocolate. Then you get a nice roasted coffee flavor and the beer finishes with a dry, roasted, hoppy bitterness that lingers on the tongue. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth and lightly carbonated which contrasts with the bitter finish of the beer quite nicely. Overall an exceptional stout, not the most drinkable but complex and extremely tasty. One of my favorite american stouts.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

3.85/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- 1in mocha colored head, head stays for a long time. Head is pretty thick in feel. Beer is black or VERY dark brown. VERY little light gets through when held up to a light. At same time however does look inviting and not murky. Can’t see any kind of carbonation besides for the head. As head goes down its almost like craters form slowly in head.

Smell- Chocolaty smell probably the malt and also sweet hops coming through.

Taste- Coffee flavor, also chocolaty (not so much though). Pretty bitter aftertaste. Has a sweet taste to it which I believe is from the hops that do come through. Doesn’t have a very good balance between the malts and hops (malts out weighing the hops), but I believe that there’s not supposed to be in this style.

Mouthfeel- It’s a medium body but more on the thin side. Light to medium carbonation.
Drink

Drinkability- The more I had the better it tasted. Could drink a couple if there was nothing else to drink. Didn’t mind it but not the best.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

3.59/5  rDev -13.3%

This is actually my first time having Shakespeare stout. I usually don't drink rogue stuff. Not a huge fan but got this one because it's in the top 100.

Pours an awesome deep black with a super sticky tan head and awesome lacing. Looks good.

Aroma is not as strong as I hoped but not bad. Roasty and a bit of coffee type aroma. Not much.

Taste is good. Nice roasty character but I feel it's missing something. Like more caramel malt or more oatmeal.

The mouthfeel is not what I expect from a good oatmeal stout. Needs to be more frothy. Needs more body. I need to chew and oatmeal stout.

Overall I probably won't buy this one again. Much better always avaliable stouts out there. Try it but it's not one I'll be keeping around. Doesn't live up to the top 100 IMO

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.56/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a deep black with a huge tan head. There is not a lot of lacing. The smell is grain and a small amount of bitterness. The taste is similar to a porter. There is a roasted flavor. The smootheness is not as good as I would like. The drinkability is ok but I think there are better options if I want a stout. Overall, a decent beer that is average for the style.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Black beer pours into my pint and nearly flies out the head develops so fast! Some foam spills over, this head is tan.
Smells of milk chocolate, coffee grinds. A hint of citrus fruit in there.
First taste is smooth and creamy and I get coffee right away, then a pleasant bitterness that lingers for a long time on my palate. The coffee is surely there, but not so much the chocolate (my way of saying this isn't real sweet). Hop bitterness.
This is great as far as enjoying a stout goes, and only my second beer tried from Rogue (the other being their chocolate stout). I recall more sweetness with their latter, and that's a quality I prefer in stouts. But all in all, surely try this if you haven't. I would again for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Rogue's Shakespeare Stout pours out with a rocky brown head over a black
brew. According to the Rogue website, "Victorian England recognized Oatmeal
Stouts nutritional value and it is traditionally the drink of choice for nursing mothers
and athletes". Nose is of molasses, roasted malt, and bitter chocolate. There is
no apparent carbonation, and the head collapses into lace. Flavor is of dark malt,
unsweetened chocolate, and hops. Mouthfeel is tingly, aftertaste is of chocolate
and hops. This is a pretty good example of the breed, not as overbearing as some
stouts, yet still worthy of your respect. For the contemplative drinker, preferably in the
dead of winter. It doesn't say on their website or on the bottle but I get the feeling that
this beer comes in at 4-5% alcohol by volume.

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales