Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

9 Ingredients:
Hops: Cascade.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

15º PLATO
77 AA
135º Lovibond

Added by Cyberkedi on 01-30-2001

Ratings: 3,470 |  Reviews: 1,618

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

Dark chocolate silk with just enough complexity to always be interesting yet not so intense so as to lose drinkability. This is THE session stout. Aroma is chocolate-covered black raspberries. The roastedness is strong but melds seamlessly with the other flavors of caramel and hops. Yes, the hops are there, just like we expect from Rogue, but they are not overly fruity. Their flavor adds earthiness and life to the aroma and a vinous depth to the flavor. Body is medium-thin, but the low carbonation stops it from feeling at all fizzy. Lingering bitterness and roasted acidity tantalize the taste buds for another sip. Oh yeah, this is nice.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

Originally sampled on 9 May 2002. Great chocolate/coffee flavor. Wonderful aroma. In my opinion, this is a great stout to use to introduce beer geek wannabees to some of the heavier artillery. The chocolaty taste & nice aroma will ease them into the world of better beer.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: nice tan head that disappears and rims, very opaque, strong appearance. S: burnt coffee, a little pine outdoorsy. T: really good, dark chocolate notes, coffee, barley. F: smooth, chewy oats, slight bite of alcohol/carbonation, awesome. O: probably one of the best oatmeal stouts, although Samuel Smith is really nice

3.06/5  rDev -26.1%

Presentation: 650ml bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep brown/black, completely opaque in appearance. Pours with plentiful brown/tan head, which fades slowly to but a thin coating.

S- A bit of earthy hopiness upon pouring. Some roasty, malty, chocolate, coffee notes develop as the brew warms.

T- Burned, acidic coffee is huge upon first sip, and largely prevails throughout consumption. Chocolate notes are vague and fleeting, and wet cardboard notes creep in during consumption.

M- Moderate/low carbonation....watery and thinner than I had hoped. I'm always disappointed to encounter a stout this watery.

D- Ok. This wasn't completely offensive to drink, but consuming all 22 ounces became a chore by the last 1/4 of the mug.

Future outlook: Especially considering the reviews here and my general fondness for stouts, I am somewhat disappointed in this one. With so many vastly superior stout options so readily available, I'm unlikely to feel compelled to revisit this one anytime soon.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

A: Pours a great black body with rolling black and brown bubbling head that forms into a three finger froth, but settles down way too soon to be anything perfect.

S: Lots of coffee and chocolate notes here with a bit of cooked grains.

T: Good, not great, the taste sort of falls flat. There's still some of the coffee and roasted flavors from the nose, but they don't seem to all jive together as well. Still impressive, but nothing out of this world.

M: WAAYY to this, no body whatsoever in my opinion. No velvety smoothness, no creamy textures. Just thisness.

D: Very drinkable, but the whole lack of appropriate body makes me question this being an oatmeal stout at all.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Very dark black with a tan head that lasts and lasts. The smell is malt, chocolate and coffee. The first thing that you notice about the taste is how smooth it is. Nothing is overpowering, the hops and malt blend together to make something that is very balanced. A very great stout but I can't stop comparing it to Storm King. I know that it isn't in the same style but I can't stop comparing it to Storm King. Truly one of the best that I will go back for.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

There's a story behind this one. Shakespeare Stout is, I believe, the first real 'craft beer' I ever had. Showing my age, the first time I had it was while working in Oregon back in the Winter/Spring of 2000. It was on tap, at some pub in Corvallis and... I hated it. I remember telling friends that I'd had this horrible beer that tasted like dirt and plants, and how nasty it was. Of course, my idea of 'beer' at the time was pretty much Molson Canadian. Period. After this experience, it was several years before I even attempted to drink a beer that wasn't available in every bar in Toronto.

So, while staying at a hotel in Princeton, NJ a few weeks ago, I grabbed a 650 mL bomber of this from a local liquor store. I drank it out of lousy old hotel glasses while watching ridiculously overpriced pay-per-view movies on the TV after a long day of work. And now, I'm about to give this beer that once turned me entirely off anything non-macro the best review I've given any beer on this site. Shows how tastes change, doesn't it?

Anyway, the bomber produced a black beer which looked great even in the hotel glass, with some brownish highlights and a great, thick, long-lasting tan head. Aroma is one of the most appealing of any beer I've had in the last year. Malt, grains, plants, earth, and a bit of chocolate and roasted malt -- the same taste as six years ago, I'm sure, but now I've learned to appreciate it and more.

Taste is just fantastic. The same earthy flavours, oats and grains, chocolate, coffee, some sweet malt and some well-hidden hops. Reminds me a lot of an oatmeal stout, and even though that's not what it's categorized here, I can see from the ingredients list on the label that it includes some oatmeal.

Perfect mouthfeel, and a nice mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers. Very easy to drink.

I wish this were available in Toronto -- the only Rogue I've ever seen up here is the chocolate stout (which is also a fantastic beer).

Anyway, here's to a wonderful brew. And, to proof that my time spent learning about and trying different craft beers was truly worthwhile, since without such an effort I'd never again have tried this beer or most of the others I've enjoyed.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch-dark black, very murky, thin tan head, still as night. The nose is a bit tough to detect; maybe some piney notes, barley, roasted malts. Dry, very dry up front. Dark roasted malts, coffee beans, espresso, all of them noted in the first few sips. A tender sweetness comes into play, barley and chocolate also noted. Just when you think you can't be taken, the Cascade hops come in to play, here to stay. Mix in the flavors mentioned early on with some hop-bite and you've got quite a stout. Summed up as big and bold, hearty, flavorful and enjoyable, the ratings are well-deserved; a great tasting 'hopped' up stout; my hat is tipped to the brewmasters who dreamed up this great wonder!

Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout from Rogue Ales