Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Availability: Spring

7 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western Pale, Crystal -15, Wheat & Acidulated Malts.
Hops: Sterling.
Yeast & Water: Czech Pils Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

12º PLATO
75 AA
9.8º Lovibond

Added by Jon on 09-28-2002

Reviews: 407 | Ratings: 708
3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a slightly hazy yellow with some yeast floating around. The white head was minimal with little lacing (could be due to my glass though). The smell was pleasent, hint of apples just like it says on the bottle. It tasted kinda fruity too with some notes of hops. It leaves a strong aftertaste, not the best to be honest. Initialy though, it tastes and feels quite good, dont think I would drink too many though.

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

One word: awesome.

The beer pours a light amber, similar to a really good filtered Apple juice. The scent is citrus, and very light, it smells pleasant. It pours a small head that dissipates as you drink the beer, not leaving any lace, but is quite bubbly, what you would expect out of a good lager.

Taste is excellent, very carbonated, with citrus hints and a crisp apple finish. Went very well with a chicken/rice dinner, and I enjoyed the second glass on it's own, which got better as it warmed up.

Once again, Rouge is proving that they are a great brewery.

A scally-capped, penny-whistle playing old man adorns the 22 oz. bottle of Rogue’s Irish Style Lager.

It pours a golden yellow, leaving a trail of sticky white lace. The aroma is spicy, full of herbal hops, with hints of yeast and tart fruits. And of course, that metallic and skunky lager smell that I love so much.

A mild malt sweetness provide a very even flavor. Slightly lemon-y and full of grassy hops; it is smooth and crisp, with a very clean feeling that surprisingly doesn’t remind me of drinking the dregs out of the bottom of a keg. The finish is dry and tart, followed by a bread-like graininess.

The light-medium body has a fairly high level of carbonation. Feels very spritzy. Overall, this seems a very drinkable and accessible beer. Some may say that it’s boring, especially with Rogue’s reputation, but boring doesn’t necessarily have to mean bad. It’s a simple yet well-done beer, and I can appreciate it for that.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. Picked it up specifically for St. Patty's Day.

A very pale gold, pretty clear but somewhat hazy. White head. Looks like a nice little lager.

Smells familiar... maybe the pale malt? Smells almost like a Miller Lite maybe, but perhaps a little less offensive. By now, most of the head has receded.

Very smooth, low carbonation... again, the only way I can describe it is to say it reminds me of Miller Lite, but not as offensive. No astringent taste or harsh carbonation. I guess I'm getting the pale malt, maybe a little something from the hops, and, as it warms, a little pleasant creaminess from somewhere, I think. Actually has a nice aftertaste that I can't quite place, but I enjoy it much more than the smell or upfront taste.

Not great, but easily drinkable. Goes down smooth. If it were offered at an open bar I could probably happily make a night off this one, but with the price tag of almost $8 for a bomber, I don't think I'd find myself reaching for this one again.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

22 oz bomber poured into a pilsner glass. Poured a beautiful golden color with slight haze and a huge pure white head. Tiny bubbles continue streaming from the bottom of the glass. Looks like a glass of champagne. Great smell, slight hop. Tastes clean and very refreshing, slightly hop bite, good malt character. Has a characteristic rogue sweet flavor present in all their lager styles. Very good, very tasty. If only Miller could get this recipe.

3.31/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz. Look, very thick light head with earthy golden color beer. Smell, rough and loud at first but softer after that. Taste, very good floral tasting. Feel, thin and lingering. Overall, would love it to feel and taste thicker but I liked it.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this on St. Pats this year.

Serving Type: 22 oz Bottle.

Golden color with white head. Aroma has some citrus hits with earthy hops. Sweet taste but not much going on . Decent grain and hop taste but not complex. Slight hop finish. Good beer for a hot day.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Appearance: Clear, yellow/blond color.

Smell: Very yeasty and slightly sweet. Almost cake-like aroma. Very subtle.

Taste: Very mellow. Slightly earthy taste, yet has a pleasant and subtle after taste. Barely fruity. Very crisp and clean finish.

Drinkability: Outstanding. Not only do you feel fantastic drinking it, the crisp bite makes you keep drinking!

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

A- Huge white head that looks like light whipped cream, golden cloudy yellow with little bubbles floating to the top, & a thick white lace that hugs the glass.

S- It has a very similar sent that most pilsners have, light hops, perhaps lemon sage, cloves, & granny smith apples.

T- Very smooth, light hoppy flavor with a twist of sweet malts, a pinch of fresh citrus lemon, & a hint of apple.

MF- Light carbonation, slight sour & bitterness that makes the cheeks pucker just a little which reminds me again of granny smith apples, very nice after taste, you can tell this
beer is of the freshes ingredients.

D- Very delicious & satisfying, I could drink this trough out the evening,

4.66/5  rDev +29.8%

Vintage:2013
Appearance: Transparent Gold, Honey, Straw, White Bubbly head, Great Lace
Smell: Honey Malt, Banana esters, Yeast, Green apples
Taste: Banana esters, Faint Honey, Apple tartness
Mouth-feel: Light body, crisp, Dry Finish
Overall: Best Lager I’ve had so far.
Comments: How Bud and Coors Should Taste

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

It poured golden in color with little to no head.

smell was kind of fruity, grassy, grainy. It smell of light citrus noble hops. Not a strong overpowering aroma but its followed by a light malt presence.

taste was pretty good if you like non adventurous Euro lagers.

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a slightly hazy, pale amber, with a fluffy head. Good head retention. Aside from appearance, I was pretty unimpressed with this beer. There was very little flavor. It gave me the impression of an American macro lager. I'll give it a nod for the drinkability and the clean finish, but I really expected more from Rogue.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stella Artois glass...

Head was minimal-lasting crystal white with a pebble-sandy looking texture. The scent was strong and lingering of old-forest pine.

Taste initial was of citrus tangerine and light perfume. Finished with a slight moldy feel in the mouthfeel. A slight hay taste from the malt as well... expresses itself more as the lager warms up. Despite buying it at the market sitting outside of the refridgerator, a green bottle skunk taste was un-apparent.

Pretty good beer, not quite what I expected. Just wished I had some better food prepared for it! ...

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%

Reviewed 4/4/10:

The Kells Irish Style Lager was a beautiful golden color. Upon pouring into the glass it presented a very strong floral aroma but the taste was surprisingly lacking in flavor. The lager had a smooth, light feel. It's a refreshing lager and wouldn't mind drinking this again but maybe needs some tweaking to get flavor just right.

3.77/5  rDev +5%

Purchased in 650 mL bottle, served in standard pint glass, 47*F.

Pours a transparent, light amber, reminiscent of butterscotch candy. Noticeable carbonation. Pure white head, featuring moderate stickiness and sub-par retention.

Unobtrusive aroma, featuring floral and apple notes. Hardly a punch in the face, but pleasing.

Medium bodied, featuring a biscuity malt flavor balanced by solid bitterness and faint apple and orange flavors. Finish is crisp and bready, with a mild apple aftertaste. Very satisfying.

For almost two years, I lived not 2 hours away from Newport, OR, the location of Rogue Headquarters. As one might expect, I was exposed to a plethora of over-the-top West Coast beers, and as a result experienced considerable surprise when tasting this beer for the first time. It certainly didn't strike me as a Rogue creation, but still proved to be quite enjoyable.

Whether or not it adheres to the style, I cannot say. No matter: I found this beer to be quite satisfying and very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Picked this up as soon as I saw it. We don't get to many American craft beer up in Canada so I'm glad to see more of it. Pour a nice golden yellow, good head retention smells rather sweet almost like a cider or apple juice. Almost bready smells coming off it yeasty. Kind of mellow flavours, not to much bitterness but just enough to enjoy it. Nothing over powers anything but nothing really stands out. All in all a pretty decent beer worth picking up again. Would be great on a summer day.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

This was the first beer that pulled me away from my staple of Bud. I was with a buddy of mine (tehankh) and we just decided to try something we had never had before. I cant honestly say this was the best beer every, but at the time with only Bud to compare to it was heaven. It has been only a few months since this happened but i can happily admit that both me and my friend have since affectionately taken on the title of beer geek.

Now the review. Trying to do this from memory so bare with me.

A. Poured a crystal clear golden with a nice white head.

S. A small amount of citrus and hops.

T. Taste like it smells, nothing crazy but well balanced.

M. Crisp light and refreshing.

D. Very drinkable, would love to get some more of this.

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

Had my 1st at my favorite spot today liked it so much I had my 2nd & 3rd!
Had a nice white head on it, with a earthy citrus aroma. then I took my 1st sip it had a rich creamy taste with a touch of lemon over all a great beer I could sit at the bar watching the game and drink these all day long! Would be a nice beer to sip in the backyard on a warm night! Have to thank Kim from East Ave Cafe for recommending this beer!

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

-Pretty much looks like your ordinary pale lager.
-Short head.
-Aroma has that crisp malt note and some very airy hops in the back.
-Taste is akin to a regular pale lager, but with much more malt in the finish and aftertaste. A bit of hop bitterness washes along the carbonation. Also a bit of bitterness peeping around in the aftertaste.

The main showcase is the malt backbone and the interesting notes of bitterness. Very drinkable.
Everything else is pretty much just like your run-of-the-mill pale lager.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Got this one on tap at Liberty Tap Room. This is probably the closest a Rogue beer will ever come to a domestic, but don't let that turn you off from it.
It pours a very clean golden color, the pint I got didn't have much of a head by the time it got to me.
The taste is very clean and crisp for a Rogue beer somewhat remeniscent of their pilsner. Definite taste of malt on this one with a hint of hops at the end.
All in all, a good selction for what it is, it's a good session beer and shouldn't disappoint lager fans.
It should be noted that this would be a good beer to transition someone off of domestic-macros to something a little more civilized

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

A- A light straw color, almost golden. A bit more honey colored than a pilsner. A very fine thing to look at indeed.

S- The first thing I get off this is spicy hop aroma, followed quickly by a nice natural lemon scent. A nice sweet malt smell lingers after the spicy hops vanish.

T- Personally, I smelled much more than I tasted. Perhaps I was drinking it a bit too cold but it seemed to lack a snap that I was expecting. I didn't get the hop bitterness that I smelled so profoundly in the nose. I also didn't get the apple finish advertised on the bottle, maybe my taste buds need a bit more developing. Overall, it was pleasant, but a bit underwhelming.

M- Very pleasant, not too carbonated, not too flat. For this type of beer, I was very happy.

D- The Kells is very drinkable. it's certainly not your crazy hop bomb that is common here out West, but it's a nice, smooth, highly drinkable beer that I think I may have to have again.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%

for a rogue beer i had huge hopes for this one, but it wasnt as strong or heavy as i thought it may be. but still a pretty good beer, i was surprised how easy it went down, and how much lighter it was then great lakes's conway irish ale, but in all fairness, i havent had many irish beers but so far i like what ive had.

3.08/5  rDev -14.2%

Like most people, I sat down to drink this beer with my expectations set very high. I have never been disappointed with a Rogue brew...until now.

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a pub style pint glass.

A: Straw/Golden yellow, with small white head. Carbonation appeared to be strong, judging from the amount of bubbles being produced.

S: Sweet malty, honey like. The small of apple at the end of the nose is rather overwhelming and might have even ruined the rest of my experience with this beer.

T: The taste is really clear to me with this beer...it's kind of all over the place. Its crisp, but sweet malt is a bit overwhelming. This is also where that apple comes into play as I almost can't help but think I'm drinking beer flavored apple juice that's been carbonated.

F: I expected more carbonation judging from the appearance. However, the feel is "thicker" than expected yet light towards the end...almost watery. Actually not 'almost'....definitely watery.

Overall I was very, very dissapointed with this beer.

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%

A- see through, very light yellow.
S- lagerish haha.
T- maybe its just because of the style of brew that it is, but i felt it was almost watery with a hint of citrus afterwards, almost like a wheat beer.
M- very light
D- goes down very easy and kinda grows on ya as you drink it.

OVerall i wasnt very impressed with the brew, it was too tame (like i said almost watery). but that may just be a personal bias becaouse i either like high hop IPAs or i like dark ass chocalate stouts n vanilla porters.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

smell: i think it smells very inviting. first whif reminds me of honey and you can notice the hops more here than in the actual flavor.

taste: yummy. no flavors are over the top here. it gets a bit frothy but i think its needed to add body to the over-all feel. its probably attributed to the bisquit notes from the famous yeast that rogue uses in there beers. its clean. you get a grassy fragrance toward the finish thats over almost before you notice it. the finish goes on and on and its leaves a good taste of fruits on the tongue.

Irish Style Lager from Rogue Ales