Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
Photo of
4.6/5  rDev +26.4%

From a 22 oz bottle. Pours a rather cloudy golden color with an orange tinge. Aroma is floral. Strong unmistakable flavor of juniper berries stopping just short of too much. The juniper adds a bitterness much sharper than the 34 IBUs would suggest but this actually makes the beer taste very clean ...almost refrshing. Strong malt presence balances this out nicely.

4.53/5  rDev +24.5%

Wow, I love this beer!

I'm watching the final between Spain and Germany and want a GOOD session beer to drink away while getting futbol'd.

This beer is CREAMY! I love IPA's but they can be a bit much one after the other IMO, this one is milder in flavor than say a DFA 90 minute, but what makes it get such high marks the the creamy texture and aftertaste.

Nice balance of bite, smooth, and aftertaste. One of my favorite everyday beers.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Big head, clearish orange-amber. Fresh and deep malt aroma, touch of evergreen. Malty flavor but a nice, light body without a lot of syrupy qualities. Very nice subtle bittering aided by the slight pine taste, non-assertive but gradual. Again Rogue shows an uncanny ability to balance its brew's flavor profiles. Malts are wonderfully combined, this Ale is inherently drinkable. I could drink this on tap all night on a cool evening. After the pour tasting, I took a pull right out of the bottle. This method concentrates the juniper flavors more.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a tightly-packed white head that has good retention and some lace. Smell was a piney malt with a lot of hops, more than most Rogue Ales. Taste was a very refreshing hops up front, with the piney-ness of juniper berries. Very long finish, with some maltiness finally arriving. Very crisp, yet full-bodied. I love this, I could drink this all winter, I had better stock up.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a cloudy orange-amber topped with a two finger pillowy white head. Leaves webs of lacing.
Great robust aroma, citrus, juniper, wood, herbs and toffee.
Fruity, grapefruit, herbs, very leafy, juniper, some caramel under all the hops, biscuit malt.
Medium to full bodied, just a great and interesting take on the APA.

4.5/5  rDev +23.6%

Slightly chill hazed golden straw yellow color with a magnificent, thickly based, crusty white head sitting atop. It slowly dwindles down to a never moving thick skim on top and the lacing in thickly strewn moth-holed sheets stick all over the place.

Pleasing aroma of lightly crisp malts, hinting at a load of other things; soft woods, earth, dust, citrus rinds, dried berry fruits, some leafy hop cones. Overall mildly light and refreshingly earthy crisp and fruity. Nice.

Wow, and the taste doesn't fall short on this either. Quite a nice little treat we have here. Hmmmm....crisp and fruity with little touches of the earthy/woody things floating around. Great hop balance and profile, slight citrus spice, berries and berry twigs and leaves thrown in too. Complexing with a favorable hoppy dryness from some Amarillo hop cones that finish it out with lightly mixes of fruity berry stuff.

Nice mouthfeel thats well rounded, crisp, drying for its finish, creamy middling, light grabbing texture of carbonation, and a nearly full body with more mediumness at the front and back. Remarkably yummy and drinkably fun.

This had been on my to-get list for sometime now and when I saw it I just had to grab it. The name alone is fancy,comically classy enough and I have pasted it up in the past til today and now I realize I shouldn't have done that. I'm rambling...good stuff! Get it, drink it, and enjoy...I did.

4.47/5  rDev +22.8%

On tap at New World Brewery, Ybor City, FL.

This is perhaps my favorite herb/spiced beer with high marks probably because of the IPA underpinnings (rather than a belgian style or some other malt dominant style.)

A nice citrus-tart hop aroma actually gave me pause: how would herbs go with citrus notes? I shouldn't have worried. I never expected such a mild "judicious" addition of spice to a dominating IPA. An addition of character, but not a competing flavor, the juniper falls into the nice blend of flavors. There's a swell dry finish that also contains some citrus and grassy notes. All beers should be this complex and yet so well blended.

Highly recommended.

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Quick review. This is an amazing pale, the juniper mostly gets lost (at least to me), but it's no problem. Everything else is right up my alley: dry, great carb, perfect amount of body & malt, just enough hop. I could drink this all day.

4.46/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: orange yellow colored with thick white head of foam

S: citrus, fruity, hop aroma, also I get a hint of honey from the smell

T: light, sweet, smooth, berries, honey, no bitterness

M: covers your palate with honey and fruit

O: It is a really enjoyable beer, reminds me of Spring time and has a great drink ability. I absolutely love this beer because it is surprisingly light, the experience I have with Rogue is usually a large big beer taste (which I typically favor). I like the strong fruit flavors from this beer.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales