Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
2.55/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours foggy yellow orange with quite a bit of head that recedes fairly quickly. Citrucy aroma that fades fairly quickly. Taste? Uhhmm... its bitter. A bit grainy and bready in the end before more bitterness puts a stop to all that. Mouthfeel is a bit weak, but not too bad.

3.54/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A: Pours an almost perfectly transparent golden color with a large off-white head with pretty good retention and a lot of rings of lacing.

S: Smells very weak, hoppy with floral notes.

T: Strong hops, or atleast the taste of strong hops, the juniper kick it up a notch. A strong herbal taste with a bitter floral finish.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated and pretty drinkable seeing as how light it was in taste. Not bad, not good.

3.37/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy apricot. White head.
Smell: Very light honey and fruit.
Taste: Refreshing. Light fruit. Hoppy.
Mouthfeel: Smooth.

This is a good tasting brew. There is nothing really outstanding about any one facet, except that it is all-around enjoyable; a great warm, summer day drink. I would get it again, but wouldn't go searching for it.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

4.2/5  rDev +16.3%

Appearance - Big lacing head. Orange cloudy pour. Good Lacing

Smell - Herbal and floral. Reminds me of fresh cut grass, flowers and pineapple juice.

Taste - Mild on the bitterness scale leaning towards sweet. Big hop character. Smooth.

Mouthfeel - Very well balanced on the mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. No astringincy.

Drinkability - Easily drinkable.

3.83/5  rDev +6.1%

22oz. bottle

Pretty mellow but very enjoyable.

Pours a dusty golden orange color. Not much head or lacing. The smell has spices with a touch of pepper. Some malt and pine. There is a mild unenjoyable tang scent.

Flavors are heavy spice and malt. The pine reappears but not as strong. The hops give it a nice bitter bite. Some fruit but not too bold. A very nice blend of spices. Pepper is very present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good. There is an oily quality to it that is a little unpleaseant. It drinks well with a dry finish. Finish lasts a bit too long. This is a very nice ale. It has some flaws but the good points more than make up for them.

3.8/5  rDev +5.3%

A: Pours a hazy golden color with a one finger layer of foam. Leaves some decent lacing.

S: Hops hit you up front in a moderate fashion with a hint of spiciness behind it. The malt is present as well foreshadowing a nice balance.

T: The hops are the key component to this again, yet they have a slightly different taste, most likely brought on by the addition of the juniper berries. A little citrus, a little floral, and a little spicy. Very nice overall. A solid malt backbone adds a bit of sweetness to it which creates a nice balance.

M: Smooth, a little thin, but good for the style.

D: This is a very drinkable beer. I don't know if it would be something I'd want to drink all the time, but it's a nice change of pace.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottle at the Mundelein beer tasting. Pours gold-amber with a foamy two-finger head. The aroma is surprisingly malty, with some light and slightly roasted malts. There is a considerable cascade hop presence. I like gin, so I was interested to try this, but I honestly can't smell any juniper.

Tastes like it smells, but a bit hoppier. Finishes with hop bitterness. The juniper is perceptible at the very end as a slight piney note that I would have mistaken for pacific northwest hops if my friend hadn't point it out.

The moutfeel is dry and a little slick, with mild carbonation. Pretty drinkable, but hardly a juniper beer.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

Rogue Juniper Pale Ale pours a slightly hazy golden color with a finger of white head that laces a little bit after fading to a thin cap.

A note of juniper is definitely in the aroma, but so are hops. rankly I was hoping for more of the juniper with this one.

Taste is good. This is a nice example of a northwest U.S. pale ale with a twist.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side.

Drinkability is decent with this beer. I'd drink it again if it were offered, but I doubt I'll seek it out.

3.27/5  rDev -9.4%

A: There is nothing wrong with the way this looks in a glass: Hazy light golden with a great looking head. Lacing is apparent and plentiful.

S: Mostly pale malts and spicy juniper with a slight amount of floral hops.

T: Orange blossoms and light caramel sweetness that transitions into juniper berry, cantaloupe rind, hop bitterness and green tea earthiness. There is a decent amount of bready malt and citrus notes as well.

M: Crisp and clean, medium bodied.

D: It's a decent beer. It didn't live up to what I anticipated it to taste like, but it's still a well-crafted beer.

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fine taste that makes me not want stop drinking it - keep coming back for more.

4.29/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

330ml bottle poured into a Troubadour tulip glass

Look: Pours a cloudy straw yellow (16-18 SRM) with a thin white head that diminishes to almost nothing. Not a massive amount of lacing in evidence. So far, so good.

Smell: Mostly hops - I've come to expect this from quite a few American beers, but it's not quite as in-yer-face as some. There's a certain bready maltiness in there too, which isn't surprising considering the grain bill. Not much in the way of juniper, though.

Taste: Ah, so *there's* the juniper - if you're expecting gin-flavoured beer then you're going to be disappointed, but it adds a nice, spicy edge to the hops and malt. Surprisingly, there's a fairly good balance between the two - hops up front with a malty, spicy finish. Not bad at all.

Feel: Surprisingly smooth, especially with the spiciness that the juniper imparts and it helps to take the edge off the hops somewhat. Fairly light carbonation with a clean, hop-laden finish.

Overall: Not half bad, although like others I'd be hard put to pick out the juniper if I didn't already know about it. A nice balance between hops and malt, in stark contrast to some of the hop-bombs I've had recently, and the juniper adds a nice twist. The rogue in me thanks you.

2.26/5  rDev -37.4%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.25/5  rDev -10%

3.97/5  rDev +10%

Kudos to Rogue for experimentation. Although this isn't a beer I'd drink with any regularity, it's a quality concoction and a pleasant change of pace.

It poured from a 650 mL bomber with a coppery body that possessed a slight amber hue — from the berries, I'm guessing. A bubbly white head topped a fragrant brew with an aroma that was a complex mix of tart berries, floral hops and sweet toffee malt.

That combination delivered a taste that left me pondering just what was happening every time I took a sip: Is that the berries I taste at the start? Bitterness in the middle? A hint of toffee before the bitterness returns for a clean finish?

No two sips were the same, though I liked this beer even more when I stopped trying to deconstruct it and just enjoyed the experience.

3.69/5  rDev +2.2%

Found a 22oz bomber of Yellow Snow Ale that is dated 2001 on the side just sitting unrefrigderated on a shelf. I half expected there to be some skunk but I thought I'd try it anyway and it seemed to be just fine and actually pretty damn good???

Pours a pale hazy copper with a thin splotchy top. The nose is of honey toffee malt sweetness, tropical fruits, and some hoppy florals. Mellow malt character and ripe fruit start but a bitter astringent hop character moves in that is metallic and then ends with some big pine flavor. As it warms the bitterness lays down and becomes a more apparent juniper spice and toffee malt, spruce, and tart fruit notes get bigger. The finish is dry and bitter with some hop tones and juniper providing a boozy gin effect. Medium high carbonation and an even mouthfeel that is crisp on the edges.

3.5/5  rDev -3%