Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
3.48/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a murky yellow with a brown, honey hue--or "saffron" accoring to the 22oz bomber. The white head doesn't stick around for very long.

The nose is hoppy, with some yeast and light citrus--and only a whisper of juniper, not as much as I was hoping for.

The flavor consists of orange, light spice, touch of nutmeg, berry, malt, yeast, somewhat strong hops, and juniper berries on the finish.

The mouth is light, and rather creamy for a pale ale. It is not really all that complex. The hops are pretty mellow, and the juniper only adds on a crips dryness on the back palate.

Drinkable and pleasant, would definitely drink this "out on the town," but not earth shattering. Also being a fan of gin, I was intrigued when I saw a juniper pale ale. However, I was kind of underwhelmed by the result.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Pours from 22oz. bottle into my Nimbus pint glass a pale clear goldish hue. Head is very nice and does not dissipate as the beer sits and is drank. Impressive. Smell is hoppy, earthy, spicy, citrusy. Not gin-y :) .

Smooth hop flavor here, slightly bitter, crisp, dare I say refreshing. There's the little bit of juniper spice in the finish.

Mouthfeel is fine, about right for an pale ale, and drinkability is very good.

3.28/5  rDev -9.9%

Thick, frothy head perched atop a deep, golden liquid when poured into a pint glass. Notable head retention through the first few minutes after pouring with a good deal of it left clinging to the glass. Nice.

Surprisingly malty in scent with only faint hint of juniper berries which, as a gin drinker, kind of disappoints me.

Well, OK, the juniper is there after all & it works better than I’d have thought. There are a ton of things going on with this beer & not all of them are good. A buttery/oily texture which, although technically a note on mouthfeel, is so closely-associated with the aforementioned foodstuff that they can’t possibly be ignored in the taste department. A sweet malt presence is welcome with a good mild hop bitterness to end.

The texture is really what gets me. As previously mentioned, there’s a slickness to this beverage which really can’t be welcome in this type of ale. Almost slimy on the tongue.

Although the taste is not at all bad (actually, almost restrained for being a Rogue product) the mouthfeel really makes this the type of beer than you’re happy to have once & be done with it.

2.9/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - pours a hazy pale peach color, two fingers of white foam form up (and recede) relatively quickly. Some dotted lace left behind. Nice beading action from below.

Aroma - the initial pour is a tad sloppy just to give me a nice aroma burst. I get a good orangey, tangerine citrus and, here's a first, an aroma that reminds me of Off bug repellent. Just briefly, then it disappears, leaving behind a more conventional hop and malt nose.

Taste - a light malt, biscuity base, moderate hopping coming out fairly quickly. The swallow brings out the dryer side of the hops and what I imagine must be the juniper. A somewhat tinny, (coppery?) flavor, again reminiscent of Off repellent. It's not unpleasant but not that great either. If I was more familiar with juniper it might make a difference.

Mouthfeel - very crisp, pretty light-bodied too.About right for the style.

Drinkability - not for me. The metallic bitterness isn't all that appealing.

3.47/5  rDev -4.7%

22 ounce bomber, one of the coolest beer bottles in the world like all other Rogue bottles. It pours a brilliant burnt orange color, with a HUGE creamy white head of frothiness. It's quite amazing to me actually as the head refuses the effects of gravity and dissipation for quite a while.
The aroma is all hops, zingy like a german pale ale can be. There's not much else to smell really, no juniper berries to smell here.
As far as flavor and mouthfeel, it's all dominated by hop characters. I'm not sure exactly what Juniper berries have to offer a beer, but in this case it seems like nothing more than an additional oily, grassy, dry finished flavor to combine with the hops already in there to make this a hoppy beer overall, and seem lacking. It's smooth though somehow, not super pungent like some IPA styles can be, and not really crisp like some american pale ales can be.
Overall it's still an enjoyable beer from Rogue who I enjoy every brew in their lineup to some extent. That being said, I won't be buying this brew again, but I'm also not disappointed either, merely a slightly above average satisfaction.

This beer was brewed for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Utah and is no longer made, so I feel fortunate to have found this bottle still on the shelf in September of '06. The 22 oz. brown bottle depicts a goggled man holding up a defiant fist with one hand, and holding his dog in the other and declaring "together we can do it". What that has to do with yellow snow I don't know, but I always enjoy the etched into the bottle artistry of all Rogue bottles. On the side of the bottle they list the 10 ingredients the beer is made with along with some other information, but no freshness date and no mention of the alcohol content.

The beer poured a nice peach/orange color and made a two-finger head with white fluffy foam that lasted awhile before retreating down the glass. It also left nice lacing on the glass after each sip.

The smell was a really powerful dose of floral hops coming from the combination of both Amarillo and Golding hops. I really enjoyed the aroma from this beer. There was no other smell that I could pick out so I was expecting a really hoppy beer.

As expected, the hops were the domonent taste, but the combination of 4 different malts mixed with whole juniper berries added a nice balance to the beer.

The carbonation is fairly low giving the beer a moderately creamy and mid to full bodied character. The malt flavors disappear at the end and the beer has a dry, spicy, and a bit alcoholic finish with the juniper berries dominating at the end.

This is a really good pale ale with plenty of character. Too bad it is no longer being made.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Pours a cloudy golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice small head, very nice lacing thoroughout the drink.

S - Scents of hops, malts, and slight citrus.

T - The taste is slightly hoppy/malty with a nice dry finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Drinkable. This is a nice brew from Rogue, but I would consider it a Pale Ale.

Photo of
2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

On tap at Brix in Jacksonville Beach. Slightly hazy, yellow orange in color, essentially no head. Aroma was non-existent, salt and lemon? The taste was a lemon hops primary with some malt balance. Juniper was AWOL. Aftertaste was unpleasant. Body was light and the carbonation was medium. Flavor, overall was good but nothing special. Aftertaste hurt my scoring of the flavor. I would not have another.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a golden clear color, quite pretty, with a few bubbles coruscating up. Head is initially thick and off-white; it fades fairly quickly leaving a thick sheet and decent lacing. Nose of (nobel?) hops out front and some definite sweet malt in the background. Taste is a tea-like blend of bitter hops and sweet malt… hard to distinguish which is dominant here. Very well balanced. Finishes on a bready note with no real bitterness. Not really sensing any “juniper” or other spices here; maybe the vaguest hint toward the back. The flavor just seems to fade away. Mouth is watery and slick, and only slightly substantial with very subtle carbonation. Very smooth. (I laugh when I hear macro breweries bragging about “smooth” beer; they haven’t the first idea—but neither do their customers.) Yes, this is a smooth, tasty, and therefore drinkable beer. 5.3% ABV allows it to be enjoyed for awhile.

Overall, a good to very good pale ale. Worth a try.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a hazy orangish yellow with a thin layer of white lace. Nose consists of a nice buttery malty aroma, citrus and hops. Taste is dominated by malt that finishes with a bitter hoppiness that is not overpowering. Overall, this is not a bad brew but not a brew I would go out of my way to get again. It kind of grew on me the more I drank it.

4.02/5  rDev +10.4%

22-0z bomber, no date.

Pours golden yellow, transparent, with thick foam with tiny bubbles. Pretty persistent, with fine lacing along my wine glass. By the time I poured the last of it, I was pouring yeast or other sediments, dark speckles that did not seem to affect flavor but made the beer less transparent.

This has the malt aroma that seems to be a signature in most Rogue brews, I’m not quite sure what it is. I'll need to double check the ingredients. Anyhow, it's a nice malt. There is also something like vanilla cream. Funny, cause it is made with Juniper. I can find the Juniper in the nose, but the spiciness has another dimension. Intriguing.

Taste is malt, but there is something of that vanilla-like spice. The hops are primarily there for bittering, and balance the malt without giving you a big hop pucker. Bottle says 45 IBUs, which is higher than I would have guessed. This is delicious.

The mouthfeel is a bit oily, pleasantly coating the mouth, but the finish seems dry. Interesting textures

Starting Gravity is listed as only 13 deg Plato, but seems strong, and over the course of 22 ounces, the maltyness began to cloy. Maybe it could be a little more balanced? I wouldn’t drink more than one of these bombers in an evening.

3.94/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy gold with a small off-white head. A small amount of lace sticks to the glass.
The aroma is full of citric hops along with some spiciness from the juniper. Bready malts round out the aroma.
It tastes much like it smells. The hops are evident but aren't too dominating, and the juniper adds a unique touch. It's earthy and peppery.
This is a well-balanced brew that I find highly drinkable. The juniper is enough to keep me intrigued the entire glass.

3.97/5  rDev +9.1%

Kudos to Rogue for experimentation. Although this isn't a beer I'd drink with any regularity, it's a quality concoction and a pleasant change of pace.

It poured from a 650 mL bomber with a coppery body that possessed a slight amber hue — from the berries, I'm guessing. A bubbly white head topped a fragrant brew with an aroma that was a complex mix of tart berries, floral hops and sweet toffee malt.

That combination delivered a taste that left me pondering just what was happening every time I took a sip: Is that the berries I taste at the start? Bitterness in the middle? A hint of toffee before the bitterness returns for a clean finish?

No two sips were the same, though I liked this beer even more when I stopped trying to deconstruct it and just enjoyed the experience.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

Semi transparent straw golden body with a touch of ruby. Low carbonation. The head is white and consists of tiny to small bubbles. Low retention and lace.
Scents of hay earth Juniper and slightly spiced hops.
The taste is pine and juniper. Hoppy somewhat harsh aftertaste with decent length. Some malts are detectable after the beer warms a little.
Medium body with a dry finish. Little coating which is to be expected.
Good drinkability and definitely an interesting and unique brew.

-Oelergud

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber Straw color, I guess you could say saffron. Pours up with a nice distinct head. A decent looking brew. I had expected a vibrant aroma from this one, with the name juniper pale ale and the greenery laden bottle. Instead I get a watery mix of mollases honey and....pennies...metallic in the back with some grains as well. The taste is decent light fruits in the front with some grainy notes and a lot of alchohol in the finish....more than is expected in a sub 6% easy drinking brew. The mouthfeel is a bit overcarbonated and not supported with enough body. Overall a drinkable brew...but I can drink better, more affordable bottles from Rouge and other outlets before this one.

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

8/19/2005 $4.65 22 oz. 5.30% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a crystal clear medium straw with over an inch of creamy white head.

Aroma:

Fragrantly hoppy, with citrus overtones coupled with a nice sweet backbone and a hint of flowers.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Hop profile is very similar to Dead Guy Ale, with a touch of anise as well as a subtle floral quality. Malt presence is quite prevalent, leading to a nice sweet midbody. Finish is a bit bitter, though with a nice aftertaste.

2.42/5  rDev -33.5%

$5.49 for a bomber. Brewed with Northwest Harrington, Crystal, Triumph, Maier Munich, C15 malts. Hopped with Styrian Goldings and Amarillo. Flavored with Juniper berries.

OG=13 plato. 34 IBU. 77 AA. 3.2 Lovibond.

Pours out to a chill-hazed peach, forming a rocky pale yellow head with very good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is odd...there is a definite soapiness imparted by the juniper, but aside from that, there is a definite ruddiness and very strong cardboard smell. Not impressed at all. The mouthfeel is lively, and thankfully not oxidized with a medium body. The taste starts off with some floral hops, then a brief flash of pale malts, then overpowered by a plain chemical bitterness and finishes with damp musty cardboard and dank forest soil. Bitterness is medium strong and somewhat harsh.

I'd be hard pressed to tell you this was made with juniper, which is a contrast to Rogue's otherwise genuine knack for bringing out the best flavors when using adjunctive ingredients (chocolate, chamomile, chipotle peppers). Ultimately, this beer is a total disappointment, just like the last few Rogue's I've had. Definitely not recommended.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

I was surprised by the light color of this beer. It was almost yellow in color, the bottle describes it as saffron, but I'd say that "straw" would be more accurate. The cloud-like head was not a surprise - Rogue knows what they are doing.

I didn't really notice the Juniper at first, but it became more apparent as I drank more. There's a very malty smell and taste, and the finish stands out as having a very sharp bite. It's good. Very good.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Sampled as "Yellow Snow Ale", so I don't know how old this bottle may be. Color is a hazy pale shade of copper. Carbonation is fairly high. Head is average-sized and barely off-white. Aroma is of that sweet earthy malt that I've noticed in quite a few Rogue beers. Not bad, but not too interesting. Taste is similar to the aroma, that "Rogue" malt is joined by a zesty hop. Bitterness is relatively high. A hint of something sweet near the finish may be juniper berries. This isn't one of my favorite Rogue beers, it seems plain by their standards, still it's a good drinker that offers a somewhat unique taste.

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance- ¼” whitish head that left quickly. Light cloudy. You could see medium carbonation and was a golden yellowish color. Very little lacing if at all.

Smell- Fruity hops with not much malt.

Taste- Fruity flavor. Light malt and just a full fruity flavor (fruity is probably juniper). Had a very big flavor to it.

Mouthfeel- med body with med carbonation

Drinkabilty- I really liked it. Nice aftertaste, nice smell, good all around beer.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%

I was really looking forward to this beer. I have had my eye on it for a couple of weeks and although I do like it, its not for the reasons I thought.

It pours great with a nice one finger head that starts to dissapate quickly but then stops at about a quarter inch and just sits there. I have been siting here for a half an hour now and its still there. It has a remarkably rich looking head. It looks like merangiue on top of a pie. Really shiny with very tightly laced bubbles.

The aroma is nice although not as strong as I would have anticipated. Definately pine and I am sure juniper but its pretty hard to distinguish as juniper smells like well, pine.

Flavor is nice and hoppy, but smooth from the malt, or maybe its the juniper. The one thing is that the juniper is not as prevalent as I was hoping for. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy as you would expect from looking at the head.

This is a beer that I have really enjoyed and would buy again although it is a little on the pricey side. Also I think this is a nice idea for a flavored beer that is subtley flavored and not overpowering and gimmickey. I might throw some juniper berries in my next batch of pale ale I am making and see if I can make something similar to this beer.

2.58/5  rDev -29.1%

A: Pours a hazy golden hue with a two-finger foamy head. A bit of lacing.

S: The bouquet is predominantly of garden vegetables.

T: Surprisingly malty and sweet for a "pale ale". There is very little hop presence in any form, and very slight piney flavor from the juniper, although I find that I have to search for it to find it, and I probabl;y wouldn't even notice if not for the name of the beer. The taste isn't bad, per se, but not what it should be.

M: Just under medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: I was looking foward to this one, hoping that the juniper would add a unique complexity to the beer. Nope. Lots of better pale ales, and lots of better beers.

4.15/5  rDev +14%

On tap from the Blues Brews and BBQ event in Charleston, WV last weekend.

Poured into a pint cup. Dark amber, slightly cloudy. No head b/c of the pour, but good lacing (even in the plastic cup).

Pine-y hops dominate (or is that pine-y juniper?). Malt was present as well. Pleasant.

Flavor is good, solidly hopped APA. Bitter the way it's supposed to be, without an overwhelming hoppiness. Malt backbone does its job supporting the hops and juniper.

Just like the bottled version, feels good going down and is very drinkable. I wnet back for seconds, and if there hadn't been a Widmer Bros. stand, may have drank this exclusively.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

I had a pint of this at the Rogue bar in Eugene, OR a few weeks ago and liked it enough to grab a bomber for home. The underlying style here is a pale ale; it's been flavored with juniper berries and, consequently, shows a clean fruity finish instead of the typical hop bitterness that characterizes APAs. It's a pale gold (the bottle says 'saffron') with a huge, dome of a head that is well-retained throughout the pint.

The bouquet shows little sign of juniper; rather, it's filled with strong bready and buttery aromas along with a light, estery fruitiness. The malts are clearest up front on the palate, where their toasty flavors really
come through. The finish is sweetish and clean, as the hops have been reduced in favor of juniper. Strangely, there's only a slight juniper presence flavor-wise in this beer. It's effects are clear in and limited to the overall mouthfeel.

I really enjoyed this beer, though I find it problematic style-wise, as it neither jives well as an APA nor as an herb/spice beer. The juniper flavors and aromas just aren't strong enough, but neither are the hops. In
a blind tasting, I could have been pretty easily convinced that this was an amber ale. Were Rogue able to keep the current appearance and overall texture of the brew while upping the juniper presence as part of the beer's aromas and flavors, this could be a classic brew.

Nonetheless, it remains a very refreshing brew from Rogue that pairs well with creamy pasta dishes.

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

I found this on-tap at The Shanachie

This beer came a mandarin orange and honey color with some cherry highlights with only a small collar of white head.

Smelled of honey and oats with a light piney hop that carried with it a much more sweet and gooey pine essence. Could it be juniper?

Tasted light and doughy with a sweet nectar of pine that is presumably the juniper. The juniper is really well blended into the light doughy malt and accentuate with a slight nip of hop dryness.

The mouth feel is light bodied and very creamy, working very well with the flavor.

This reminds me a lot of Alba Scotts Pine Ale, except with a little more hops. (more hops than a gruit you say…) I’ll definitely find a bottle or two of this to take up to the cabin on the 4th.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales