Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a big bottle into a huge frozen crystal stein. Good way to drink this one, I think.

A: Pale orangish-yellow with murky look, like unfiltered tea.

S: Floral hops with plenty of berry notes although I cannot distinguish; maybe raspberry? Honey too. Also a touch of nutmeg.

T: Spicy with hints of cinnamon and cloves going on. Pine needle presence that thankfully only lasts a second. Not sweet at all; dry and slighly bitter but ultra refreshing. Recommended on a hot day exactly the way I drank it.

D: Big time on a hot summer day.

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured a deep golden yellow into a Chimay chalice with around a finger of head that faded quickly. Little lacing throughout.

Light aroma with a moderate amount of carbonation. Taste was hoppy and fresh, but nothing overtly juniper-like. Very pleasant. Almost reminiscent of an amber such as Mac and Jack's. Very drinkable!

Poured a very hazy golden yellow into a pint glass with a thick white head, good retention and lacing. Smell is sweet and malty up front, then earthy and piney hops behind. Taste was similar, bready up front, then piney and spicey in the finish. Well balanced, a bit light body with medium carbonation, but quite good to pair with a meal.

3.62/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12oz into my arrogant bastard pint glass, pretty lively looking, nice finger and half of white foamy head which levels out to a thing layer kept going by the constant co2 rising up. Good lacing so far, looks like it's going to stick around. Hazy yellow golden color, reminds me of the inside of a mango.

Smells of herbs and fresh pine needles, not really too sure what a juniper berry is exactly, but there's something in here that gives off a nice spicey scent which invigorates the nostrils.

Taste is very well balanced although I must say I am much more in love with the smell. I do get the fresh pine forest feel from the hops, but really not much bittering to speak of as the malt really hits me more prominently in the flavor. Pale malt, and I'm thinking crystal malt as well because of the smooth semi-sweet flavor present here. It's more balancing between spices/pine and sweetness.

Mouthfeel ain't half bad, as pales go I'm quite happy with it. Smooth, refreshing, carbonation lightens it up and brings the flavoring home in this category.

Very drinkable, doesn't really draw me into it too much, the flavors are all there and everything but not blended too well to impart a great kind of drinkability I find in some other pale ales.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

From bottle to pint glass, aroma very weak. A bit malty and sweet but other than that I'm not picking up much.

One finger head dissipates rather rapidly. Lacing present but not prominent. Color a strong yellow-golden haze.

Given the rather un-impressive combination of appearance and aroma stated above, I was pleasantly surprised with the taste. This ale has a bitter bite of a nature not far from a hoppy IPA. Taste is of initial piney (juniper?) hops followed by a prominent earthy straw flavored background. Unfortunately, the strong background of earth & straw tones rapidly overwhelm the initial juniper-like piney flavor. In my opinion, it should be the other way around -- a strong juniper bite with mild earthy aftertones would be more appropriate. But I do like the fact that this beer has a definite bite for a pale ale, yet a light taste -- in fact, you might almost think of this one as a "light" IPA. And the bitter flavor lingers for a pleasantly surprising period of time!

Mouthfeel smooth and carbonation prominent but about right. This light and flavorful pale ale drinks well -- very refreshing.

Given the fact I like ales in general and enjoy chewing on pine needles whenever I get the opportunity, its not too surprising I do like this brew. Despite its drawbacks, definitely worth my time. I do think I'll have another...

3.53/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A: Pale yet somewhat dark golden colour. Hazy/cloudy, furious carbonation, with frothy and strong pure white head that leaves major lacing behind. And although its not about the beer itself, the bottle design deserves a mention. I just love the three colour simplicity of the art (incorporating the bottle's colour into it). Props to Rogue

S: Oh this smells so delicious. Very wheaty and yeasty, with strong yet balanced hoppiness. Maltiness is very sweet and a type I'm not sure I've smelled recently. Hint of yeastiness. Juniper is not present here.

T: Pretty light, heavy on the hops. Juniper is here, and as a gin drinker I do love my juniper, and it simply yields too much ground to the hops in my opinion. So much potential and not quite the delivery i was looking for. Slightly malty but almost a little hint of corn in there too. Still not a bad tasting beer IMO, but could be better if they toned down the hops and let other flavours come out more.

M: Average. Nothing great, but nothing bad either. A little bit of carbonation, but a lot of it comes out soon after the initial pour.

D: Light and good for a warm spring/summer day (especially the first warm day of spring!) Good, and low enough abv where it doesnt get you going too fast, but really not interesting enough to keep me wanting more. I really doubt I would want another one after the first one. Disappointing in general...I was definitely looking forward to more pine tree in my beer.

3.42/5  rDev -6%

A: Pale ale? Maybe a little haze, but this one is too golden and translucent to be called a pale ale in my book, so I got to take it down a notch. But I'd be lying to say this doesn't look crispy and delicious. Slight &
S: The slight gin flavor seems to broaden and deepen the hops while keeping everything somewhat muted.
T: You would expect a more interesting taste, but even so it's a nice, mellow flavor, even keeled and balanced.
M: Crispy, bubbly. Well-developed, but easily distinguished as an evolving flavor.
D: I drink a six pack of Sierra Nevada, and I'm feeling like I've eaten a big meal. These pale ales go down easy but leave your tongue wanting it bit more. Just to say it's not too heavy but has a somewhat satisfying taste.

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Snagged up a bottle at QFC to try... always have to try Rogues beers at least once!

- Cloudy straw yellow brew... minimal head... down to a little bit of floating fizz and a small ring.

- Rather bready and zesty scent... caramel malt, lemon zest... bready yeast.. and a spicy zing.

- Zesty citrus bread... light malt, spicy background and fresh pine-like hops... nice subtle burn. Interesting, and thankfully mild.

- Medium bodied, and rather malty for a pale... but must be to pack in all those flavors. Little chewy.

- Overall this isn't bad... and for a pale, it certainly has a whole world of flavors. Certainly worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

4.21/5  rDev +15.7%

You can't really smell the juniper on this rogue offering. But they make up for the lack in smell with flavor. The juniper comes out in the finish. Using juniper in brewing an IPA is damn innovative and scores major points for creativity. I usually go for dogfish head 60 when looking for an IPA but this is a step up in my book.

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

A- pours a hazy golden yellow with a firm white head that becomes nicely pitted as it settles down. as is expected from these guys, the foam has a very hoppy look to it, retains itself admirably, and leaves ample sticky lace.

S- fresh toasted malt sweetness, like a nice box of multi-grain cereal, bright citric hoppiness, some chardonnay aromas, but seemingly no juniper. ok, some piney hoppy stuff in the background that could be percieved as juniper, but it's an aroma that i've picked up in plenty of other beers. so to be direct, i would never have guessed the was juniper in here judging from the aroma. still smells good though.

T- and the taste is the same. it tastes like a quality pale ale, it tastes like a good brew from rogue, but it doesn't taste like juniper. or perhaps it's that the berries contain such similar citrus pine characteristics as the amarillo hops that the two become seamless. which may very well have been the brewer's intention. nice notes of pine and grapefruit, hoppy and bitter, could pass for an ipa. woodsy and spicy peppercorn, clean zesty bitterness sits on the tongue. finishes bitter with nice light malt flavor.

MF- slightly lighter than medium bodied, tight prickly medium carbonation keeps things lively. somewhat juicy and leaves a clean feeling on the cheeks.

D- nice crisp refreshing brew. good all around, but i still can't taste the juniper. thinking i might be crazy, i went and grabbed my little can of berries and crushed one between my fingers. side by side smelling the fingers of one hand and tasting this beer with the other... and still nothing. i dig a good martini and i keep these berries cuz i like the flavor with saurkraut so i'd like to think i could percieve the juniper in the beer. but i just can't. i know it's in there i just think it blends in too much with the hops to be noticed. great all-around pale ale though.

4.06/5  rDev +11.5%

I picked up a bottle to try something different, and...

Like Mikey, I liked it (if you don't get the reference your younger than me).

Appearance: Hazy dark straw yellow, Had a nice head which held for a while. Not too pretty, but not unpleasant

Smell: Very nice malts, hops, and juniper mixed together well. I liked the aroma. The Juniper is very subtle, you notice it but is was not overpowering like too many spiced beers.

Taste: Complex and interesting. I nice level of malt for a pale ale, and a moderate dose of western US hops, with a subtle hint of juniper. I slowly enjoyed the whole beer.

Mouthfeel: What you would expect from a quality pale ale. Light but with some substance.

Drinkability: I will pick up a six pack next time I have a chance, but this is a one at a time beer.

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a straw color with a 2-finger yellowish head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is made up of yeast, amarillo and crystal hops--piney and floral. The taste is piney and flowery hops with juniper berries. Quite bitter. Medicinal aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very carbonated, light to medium-bodied.

This is fair in the drinkability area. The aftertaste is a little medicinal and if you don't like juniper berries, it's not for you. The hops make it worthwhile.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I rather enjoyed this beer, though I didn't expect to. It's light, crisp, and airy, like a pine, but it was nice that the pine flavors were subdued and barely noticable. They weren't a main feature like the name and bottle suggest. Instead, you had to hunt for them. This beer reminded me of something like the ultimate bud light. Not in flavor, but in spirit. It's light with fairly crisp notes and no murky flavors and little maltiness. The carbonation seemed to match well. I like it more than the more carbonated Sam Noble Pils, which seems to be a beer for a similar occasion.

Now, I had this beer when I was in no particular mood to drink beer, due to snowboarding in the morning, but that's why I was so pleased with it. It suited my mood perfectly at the time. Two bottles gave me a nice tiny buzz and not a whole lot of powerful heavy beer flavor to reckon with and potentially make me thirsty.

It's probably a really good crowd pleaser (for company), much more so than say a Sierra Nevada Pale. There's nothing really bad to say about the beer, it seems to be achieving everything it wanted to achieve, and lends no unwanted flavors. Drinkability should be high for the majority; it was good for me. The only likely source of complaints will be from manly men who know their beer and want some ass kicking heavy stout, in which case they should have brought it.

Finally, I appreciate the brewers ability to incorporate a respectable amount of alcohol hp into a pretty unassuming package, like a geo metro with a v6.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

A: Pours a cloudy, golden orange color with a moderate head that dissipates into a thin layer of foam.

S: Subtle nose doesn't track with that of a typical pale ale. Perhaps the addition of juniper berries subjugates the aroma of hops.

T: Opens exceptionally dry and bitter, with a bright effervescence throughout. Finishes with a juniper beery bite that lingers. Lacks a noticeable malt foundation and any interplay with hops. Not entirely satisfying.

M: Well carbonated with an almost champagne-like mouthfeel.

D: Not familiar with the Herbed/Spiced Beer style, but certainly not representative of what I'm looking for in a Pale Ale. Mediocre at best.

4.44/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured this one and walked away, as such I can't rightly comment on the head though it appears to have been bone white in color. Speaking of color this ale is pale golden with a slight orange hue. This is a clear beer with just a slight haze.

Nose is very hoppy, floral and a bit piny or junipery if you will. The grain in this beer is tasty and not hidden behind the hops or juniper. There is a lot of nose there and it is pleasing.

Taste of this beer is like a well hopped Pale or a lighter IPA. There is a tang of citric hop, a bit of bite from the juniper and a overall great balance.

Body pf this beer is full and nearly creamy. Rogue kicks ass and this is another stellar beer. I love how they pull off a full body without having odd aftertaste and the like.

Drinkability is great and I will drink more. I only wish Rogue beers were back at the 8.99 they used to be...ah well.

Slainte

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Bottle poured into a glass

A: A golden amber with hints of orange in this clear body. A one-finger, off-white head with good retention.

S: This beer smells like a brewery: strong malts, and a great biscuity scent. No fruity esters, per se. The juniper berries don't add much to the nose, but are subtly present. No diacetyl or grassy notes.

T: Quite possibly the best proportion of hops and malt flavor in a pale ale. The hops are bold and distinct, but don't prevent the bready and biscuity malts from shining through. The finish is bitter, reminiscent of grass. The balance is towards the late hops and bitterness which linger. For me, this amount of bitterness prevents the experience of clean crispness.

M: Lighter bodied and moderately carbonated.

Notes: I reviewed this using the american pale ale as the style guide, with the understanding that the brewers believe that it is a Herbed/Spiced Beer. I don't extremely enjoy Rogue's offerings. But this beer tastes how it should.

3.87/5  rDev +6.3%

Cloudyish yellow orange colour with a weird sort of hazy yeast layer near the head. Head is soft and white but is not retained very well.

I quite like the smell actually. Crystal and amarillo make themselves quite apparent with the more shortbready kinda tones seeming to work with what i believe is juniper.

Lets itself down in the taste, I think. That being said, there is something about this I quite like. Pretty standard pale ale with some sourness from the fruit.

Watery but quite nice. Again, while I accept this is not by any means a world class beer, I quite like it and if it were cheaper I'd drink it quite often I think.

3.49/5  rDev -4.1%

3/4/10, poured from 22-oz bomber into tall lager glass.

Mostly clear yellow-orange color with a big full foamy head that stuck around and had decent lacing. Smell is interesting, some citrus hops and a little sour fruit from the berries. Balanced taste, but lacked a little something vs what I was expecting. Mouthfeel is a little watery. Not bad, but lots of other Rogues I like better.

2.69/5  rDev -26.1%

This is my first review. I'm not sure why I decided to start reviewing with a beer I didn't care for, but here you go.

A: Very slightly cloudy dark yellow. A moderate head out of the 22oz bomber, which dissipates into a thin foam film, soon dying altogether.

S: Almost none. Basically a light lager smell.

T: Not what I'd hoped for. Dry and rather bitter, on top of a serviceable pale ale. I got this because I like gin, but I get only a very small amount of the juniper berry bite that makes gin work. And that's really only on the finish. If I didn't know this was made with juniper berries, I'd never guess. I was looking for juniper and spice, but didn't get it. Warming did help a bit, so it might be worth letting this beer warm before even starting.

M: Not particularly thick, but solid. Good here. A fair bit of carbonation released on the way down.

D: Not liking bitter pale ales without a range of spice flavors, one bottle is more than I really wanted.

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a small head. Smell is mild, some berries. Taste is of sour berries with hops, not bad but nothing great. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a decent but unspectacular beer.

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Kind of golden colored, bubbly. Smells very strongly of berries. Taste begins sweet of a wild berry but finishes with a strong bitter taste that ends in hoppiness. Not a bad beer, I wasn't sure what to expect when I popped the top on this bottle. It would probably go very good with some boneless honey wings. It goes down easy enough to go back for seconds

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into my samuel smiths pint glass, this beer is a pale hazy gold color with a lot of carbonation. It left a very big creamy head, 3 1/2 fingers that left a lot of lacing. In the nose I get hops the easiest and then some berries and malt. The taste is hops up front followed by malt and berries at the finish. Slightly watery. Nice mouthfeel and very drinkable. I'd definitely recommend this beer, its very good and easy to drink.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Pours a light amber, very similar in color to a hefeweizen. Very little head.

S: Slight smell of berry with alittle sweetness. Smell resembles an IPA.

T: Lots of hops up front, with some sweetness. My first reaction was that it's a slightly sweet IPA. The berry comes through alittle, but is not overpowering. Bitter aftertastes lingers for quite a while.

M: Very heavily carbonated.

D: The heavy carbonation and bitter aftertaste make it a nice beer to sip, but not something I would want to drink as a session beer. Overall though, I like it quite a bit.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

1 Pt. 6 Fl. Oz. bottle poured into pint.
A: Golden brown. Pours frothy lacy half inch of head. High amounts of CO2 release from bottom of pint. Reatins about a quater inch of head. Thick frothy lace left around pint.
S: Malts and a little bit of hops.
T: Pale malts, resiny hops, and unique juniper berry taste. The berry is sweet and crisp. Berry compares to a diluted blackberry mixed with mint and spice.
D: A littler lighter on tongue than would be appreciated, but very smooth and refreshing. Flavor profile doesn't blow one away, rather more concentrated in a few well picked areas.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

12 oz bottle poured into glass mug

A: Pours a pale yellow with two fingers of white head that lingers for a few seconds then slowly dissipates, leaving a little lacing on the sides of the glass and some floating foam on the top

S: Very strong floral aroma, with some bitterness on the nose and some pale malts

T: Tastes of pine, with some malt and juniper berry flavor. Its bitter, but not from the hops as much as the juniper berries. This is a very unique pale ale. As it warms, the juniper begins to stand out a bit more

M: Not overly carbonated and a bit watery, but it works for this beer. Leaves a bit of an oily residue in the mouth after swallowing.

D: Not overbearingly heavy or bitter, I could drink a few of these in one sitting

Overall, this is a very good beer. This is both my first juniper beer, and my first Rogue ale, and I will definitely be seeking out more Rogue beers

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales