Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO

3.61/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
3.73/5  rDev +3.3%

Presentation: Poured from a brown bomber into a standard pint glass. Label is typical Rogue, this one with blue/green colors and a juniper plant behind the seated individual. No freshness date.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of white head. This settles to a thin coating, leaving decent lacing. The beer itself is yellow and cloudy.

Smell: Very little smell, just a mild sweetness.

Taste: Creamy malt upfront with a mild to medium bitterness in the finish. Maybe a slight sweetness or herbal note in the finish.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation. Very creamy body.

Drinkability: Good, but not sure about the juniper. If I didn't know I was drinking a juniper pale ale, I probably wouldn't have picked up the sweet/herbal notes. Still not entirely sure I wasn't reaching for it. I won't be revisiting this one, it is simply a decent cream ale, nothing more.

3.92/5  rDev +8.6%

Lighter color than I expected--yellow and a bit hazy. Head disappears quickly leaving a light ring around the edge. Smell is sweet and slightly alcoholic. Light and sweet with understated hops. The picture of the pine needles on the bottle had led me to expect a piney-hoppy exotic IPA-esque pale ale. This isn't that. It's subtler. Tastes just slightly reminiscent of a wheat beer. The juniper berries (I think that's what I'm tasting) brings a little funk twist. Works well paired with a flavorful meal, though it takes the role of a palate cleanser more than a standout.

4.03/5  rDev +11.6%

22oz bomber. near the bottom of the bottle, printed onto the glass is a very hard-to-see "sell by 0916", and the numbers themselves are a bit smudged.

tasted in early-mid march 2009

pale golden honey with amber tones. faint haze, especially on later pours. rocky head fades to thin wispy layer. thin lacing at first, with lots more further down the glass.

smells of light citrus and pine freshness, with a fruity, piney and spicy character from the juniper, but all of it is a bit subtle. bready toasted malt underneath. more subtle pine in the back.

taste: toasted bread and crackers is enveloped by fresh flavors of citrus rind and pine, with herbal fruitiness, probably from the juniper. light resins and a moderate to bold bitterness.

not too thin, smooth yet crisp, with a flash of mildly astringent resins in the finish. tight carbonation, fluffy at times.

i actually quite like the unique character imparted by the juniper.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottled poured into into a cloudy pale gold, with a thick head. Head evaporated after several seconds. No real noticeable scent. Tastes slightly bitter, with the hint of herbs. No noticeable aftertaste. Feels somewhat fizzy in the mouth, but overall, a mouthful goes down smoothly.

A decent beverage, but nothing that really stands out to set it apart.

3.66/5  rDev +1.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a large mug.

A: Light golden-orange hue and a bit cloudy (may be chill haze). Nice two fingers of white head that retained and laced with ease.

S: Aromas of caramel, Crystal malt, and a whiff of floral hops and juniper. For being advertised as a juniper ale, the namesake ingredient seems to take an aromatic back seat to a substantial malt character.

T: Starts off with a dry, bitter blast of hops and (finally!) juniper berries. The latter adds an interesting pine/woody character to the flavor that I enjoyed immensely. As the brew warms, the malt backbone becomes more apparent as a mild sweetness that balances the bitterness nicely.

M: Lighter side of medium-bodied and very smooth on the tongue. It's well-carbonated but not prickly. The finish is very dry.

D: I enjoyed this by itself, but it would be difficult to call this a stand-alone beer. However, it would go very nicely with a hearty or spicy meat dish.

At first I was worried that there wouldn't be enough juniper in this beer, but Rogue manages to use just enough to showcase the ingredient and make it tasty to boot. A very interesting concept and they managed to pull it off. This isn't one I would have regularly, but it would be nice to complement a meal every once in a while. Definitely worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

This is the Yellow Snow IPA version. Saw it so thought I would try it out.

A- Pours a golden yellow with large three finger head, nice lacing down the sides of the glass.

S- Smell is of hops, juniper, pine, caramel and some citrus, a bit of sweetness. The juniper really smells nice in this.

T- Freshly cut grass, nice hint of sweet juniper, fresh grapefruit and small amount of malt. Tastes really fresh. Bitter aftertaste like you get from fresh grapefruit.

M- Smooth, but feels a little flat. Not a lot of carbonation going on here. Lighter than medium bodied.

D- Pretty drinkable, but the strong grapefruit and juniper might get old after a couple of these. This would be refreshing on a hot summer day though. Recommend giving this a try!

3.54/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bomber to pint glass.

A: Pours an almost perfectly transparent golden color with a large off-white head with pretty good retention and a lot of rings of lacing.

S: Smells very weak, hoppy with floral notes.

T: Strong hops, or atleast the taste of strong hops, the juniper kick it up a notch. A strong herbal taste with a bitter floral finish.

Overall: Good mouthfeel, well carbonated and pretty drinkable seeing as how light it was in taste. Not bad, not good.

2.8/5  rDev -22.4%

I love Rogue Brewery and will always opt to taste something new if I see it. This one popped out so I had to give it a try.

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a golden blonde pale hue. No head whatsoever and not much lacing. On the nose it is a bit boring, yet shines with a dry sweetness. I am not getting much Juniper, which is disappointing to say the least. The flavor isn't giving much Juniper either due to an overwhelming sense of hop flavor. It is a bit of a full mouthfeel with not much balance through the palate. There is a bit of an earthy, dry finish with little or no resonance to the initial flavor.

For me, this beer is missing something... I can't put my finger on it. I'm glad I tried it, but will opt for the Yellow Snow when it comes to Rogue pale ales.

3.27/5  rDev -9.4%

When I first tried this beer, I thought that I had made a terrible mistake in buying it. The initial taste was hard to place, but reminded me of mint and medicine. After I let it set for a few minutes I did warm up to the flavor. Not too heavy, but the juniper taste seems to linger for a while (at least I'll guess it's juniper as I'm not sure when or where I last had anything with juniper in it). Light body, had a huge head when I poured it that stuck around for a pretty respectable amount of time. Was an interesting drink, glad I tried it, but no interest in having another.

Out of a bomber this "World Champion Pale" was hazy golden-orange color. The head was two fingers of off-white foam that displayed pretty good retention and very consistent bands of lacing. The aroma was a nice balance of citrus and herbal hops along with a notable spiciness and some sweet malt behind that. The flavors were similar, but nothing I was immediately stunned by. The balance was still excellent, but the hop profile, starting on an herbal note which was also reflecting the juniper they used, quickly gave way to more citrusy hops followed by the pale malt that was a little biscuity. It was, however, also sweet enough to offset the hops. Lightly spicy and rather dry but not too acidic. The finish was pleasantly bitter but not biting. The mouthfeel was smooth and clean, the body medium/full and the carbonation excellent. Very, very sessionable. I've got to be honest, though I could quaff this all night I found it unremarkable. It is nether a great APA nor a great Rogue beer, and the juniper berries were so understated you wouldn't know they were in there. Worth a try? Yes. Worth a repeat? No.

3.26/5  rDev -9.7%

I almost passed this beer over after reading that the Juniper Ale and Yellow Snow Ale were the same...then I realized I had had the Yellow Snow IPA. Damn blonde moments!!!

Seriously, this ale pours golden and hazy. An extremely fluffy white head forms and leaves a substantial amount of lacing behind. Although my description is short, it was a pretty impressive looking ale.

It has a pretty hoppy nose, but nothing overwhelming. A little yeasty with some caramel notes.

There is a hoppy bitterness that I was't expecting by smell alone. A little woodsy, piney I would say. I guess I should say juniper like. The piney flavors dominate the aftertaste.

This ale has a smooth and creamy delivery. Light to medium bodied pale ale with nice carbonation. A good bit of bittering but nothing close to being a hop bomb. Interesting to say the least. Somewhat of a drying finish.

Easy drinking and pretty enjoyable. Not one of my favorite beers but I can appreciate its character.

3.41/5  rDev -5.5%

650 mL bottle with no freshness date poured into pint glass.

Body is a slightly hazy yellow that turns to gold in the middle of the glass. Lots of carbonation visible. Head is a good size, sticky and rocky looking. A small cap retains for a good long while.

Aroma is surprisingly mild. There are some faint piney hops and a bit of bread.

Taste has a surprising amount of bread-like malts, with some mild peppery notes. Very light hop floral bitterness. Yeast and biscuit on the finish. Juniper is buried deep beneath the other flavours.

Mouthfeel is medium to light body, nice carbonation and a slightly astringent finish.

This is a decent pale ale, fairly quenching if perhaps a touch on the sweet side. Goes down easily enough.

3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sierra Nevada hops glass. There was a light haze in the golden body. Crisp white head of an inch left sheets of lace.

Smell was not surprisingly, pine. Very floral. Butter and pepper. Interesting.

Taste had a nice bitter bite. Aspirin linger. Buttery. Some noticeable malts presence but primarily in the bitter range.

Mouthfeel was zippy and medium bodied. Some slickness after the swallow. Interesting but not one I would really seek out again.

4.17/5  rDev +15.5%

Tasted under the Yellow Snow label.

Pours medium gold with a big two-finger head that sticks around. Big nose with hints of citrus and pine. Hits the tongue hard and stays that way through the finish. Mouthfeel is spot-on. Aggressively hopped and very dry. One of Rogue's better offerings.

3.71/5  rDev +2.8%

Hazy orange with a tint of green. Off white head. Juniper aroma for sure. Dry and bitter, nice. Effervescent mouthfeel. Kind of washes away, weird. No strong aftertaste, maybe gin though. Good for one bottle to split with a friend. The juniper started to wear on me, a bit too much for me.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

poured a very hazy straw color, nice one finger headf and lacing as well.
Smell was fairly innocent. Slight twinge of hops, no juniper berries noticed and very faint malt tones.
Taste was nondescript as well. Very mild, slight hoppiness and very little added from the juniper.
A bit dissapointed, but not terrible.

3.86/5  rDev +6.9%

This is my first review and I'm new to this so I hope it's okay :P

S - 22oz. Bomber bottle. Nice screened logo with pairing advice but no dates

A - Pours a nice slightly cloudy, coppery color with a nice and fluffy off-white head. Little over 2 fingers with a med. pour. Nice sticky head and great lacing.

S - I'm coming out of a cold so all I could smell are slight malts, but mostly floral hops, and a slight resinous pine smell. Can't smell the Juniper, but I'm not really sure what to look for.

T - Slight malt, the hops kind of overpower the malts a little bit. Florally citrus hops flavor leading into a piney resinous flavor. A bitter oily hop flavor lingers on the palette. Didn't care for it at first, but I began to like it. Slight Juniper flavor with the piney hop flavor.

M - Nice light-med body. Good feel and i like the amount of carbonation

D - Very drinkable in terms of the body, but I'm not sure I would want too many at one time. I might get burnt out on the flavor.

Overall - Very good, but not necessary my favorite

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber.

A-Slightly veiled golden color with a huge rocky head that does not fade, which I find pretty typical of Rogue.

S-Delicate floral hops, with only a hint of juniper...you have to look for it.

T-Not sure what they were going for here. Not a standout, just a good solid well balanced beer with a malt bias that has a bit of juniper flavor to it. Don't drink this thinking you are going to get a beer martini...it is very subtle. I understand that this is sold as a seasonal under the name "Yellow Snow". It would not be my pick for a winter's day, but as an ice cold summer cooler...sure.

M-Medium to light mouthfeel with balanced carbonation.

D-Drinkable? Absolutely, but there are so many other excellent choices, even from within the brewery that I think I'll be reaching for something else next.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

A - I like the bottle's label... it looks like a dude standing in front of a massively profitable "cash crop" if ya know what I mean. This is amber-orange with a big fluffy eggshell head that stands at about two fingers and doesn't show any signs of receding soon. Lots of really nice lace is smattered about the glass.

S - Hoppy as hell, I smell something that could be the pine-notes from the hop varetal used or it could be from the juniper berries.

T - Hoppy and almost minty. I've never actually had a juniper berry my itself, but I have had good gin made with juniper and I can't say that this tastes anything like that. But, there is a minty pine-y refreshingly green note that I think is a result of the addition of this odd berry.

M - Medium bodied and extremely bitter. There is an almost menthol type "fresh air" feeling when I inhale after swallowing this brew.

D - An excellent session brew, and quite unique. This is a great beer that I'm glad that I had the chance to enjoy.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours a hazy dark golden yellow with a white head that fades fast with some good lacing throughout. The smell is a usual rogue, with some malt, hop, and spice notes. The taste starts malty with some nice spicy notes, then stays malty throughout with a nice bitter and dry finish. The aftertaste stays somewhat bitter and a little hoppy. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth with a nice balance in flavor. This is an easy drinker, full of flavor that isn't overwhelming and has plenty of great attributes that contribute to a great beer. This beer, like all rogues, is worth drinking. Another great beer from Rogue.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

I had this on tap at my local pub, Kickbacks.

appearance: heavy golden amber

smell: slight herbal essence, mild hops

taste: slight juniper

mouthfeel: good carbonation and very tasty

drinkability: very very easy and smooth.

Highly recommended beer, would love to have it again.

3.23/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bomber poured into an imperial pint glass.

A-A slightly hazy golden beer, topped with a bright white, fluffy head, decent retention.

S-Subtle floral hoppiness with some spicy juniper character over a sweet maltiness.

T-A light, malty foundation is balanced by moderate hop bitterness and a bit of floral hop and juniper. Aftertaste is subtly of juniper berries.

M-Light body with a low carbonation, perhaps a bit too low for style.

D-The juniper is subtle enough that it melds enjoyably into the beer's flavor, instead of overwhelming and drowning out the beer character. Overall, a good, not great, brew.

3.17/5  rDev -12.2%

I tried this beer, because I've been looking at it for a while and I was having some wings and I thought it would be a great pair. I really enjoyed the little juniper bite in there! It was very drinkable and enjoyable. it went well with wings, but not sure what else I'd like it with. This is a beer I'll have once a year in the right situation! Not bad!

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%

22 ounce bottle from La Bodega inRiverside, CA., December 2008. Price not recorded.

Pours a slightly hazy orange gold with a nice fluffy head that has pretty good (but not great) retention. Lots of stickage.

Aroma is vaguely sweet, perfumy, and gentle. Citrus, wildflowers, and a bit of pine forest. The flavor, however, is much sharper, richer, and powerful- pine trees and juniper galore cancel out anything else that may be going on. Don't get me wrong- still tasty, but definitely a one-note beer.

Drinkability suffers- its tastes good, but I wouldn't want a lot of this at one sitting.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

I had Rogue's Yellow Snow on tap at the Brew Kettle on 12/23/2008. They served it to me in a standard pint glass.

Yellow Snow didn't pour a yellow color. It instead poured a lightly hazy golden amber color. On top of this gold amber brew was a good 1/2 an inch head of pure white foam. This head of foam had decent retention that left behind a string of foamy white rings, one single streak of lace, and a hand full of white spots of lace.

The aroma was mildly hoppy with candied tart grapefruit, a touch of bitter citrus hops, a quick splash of pine needles, a few citrus fruits, and then this aroma finishes up with a small touch of sweet candied yeast. It could have used a small dash of toasted malts, but it was fine where the aroma stood.

This IPA wasn't going to mess around. It started off with the bitter and dry citrus hops. The hops strength wasn't mild or strong. The hops were smack dab in the middle of being mild and strong. After the hops calm down, in comes some tart grapefruit, a few citrus fruits, a splash of lemon zest, and a subtle touch of toasted caramel malts. Don't expect for your taste buds to be assaulted by hops.

This was a medium bodied beer that contained a medium sized hoppy aftertaste of bitter and dry citrus hops, juicy citrus fruits, a hint of toasted malts, and a splash of lemon zest. These hops in the aftertaste will linger on for a few minutes.

This is one of Rogue's better beers. I didn't have problems with it. I might go for another one these. A growler of this might be too much for me. A draft pint or a 22 oz bomber bottle should be sufficient.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales