Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO

Ratings: 1,328 |  Reviews: 678
4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

2.68/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Cool orange glow to the beer, looks like a nice ipa, not unlike their brutal bitter ipa. Smell wasn't really all that persuasive as juniper. More pine-esque, which might be my confusion of trees, or more likely, the hop profile standing out a bit.

Taste, like an English pale ale with some funky adjuncts (and not horse blanket funky). Other than the Amarillo hops, I think the hopping is kind of less than helpful or 'good'. The bitterness on this one is just weird. Like a combination of copper and plastic, definitely not juniper.

What is most disappointing about the mouthfeel is that the beer neither tastes like juniper, nor a pale ale. Its just some weird amalgamation of a beer that doesn't know where it is going, where its been or what is inside of it. Ultimately, it is less than average for a pale ale, a Rogue beer, or an herb/spice beer. Pass. I think I like Rogue generally more than the average beeradvocate, but definitely not this one. Hand me a chocolate stout instead please.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.35/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium snifter. The beer pours out slightly hazy, orange gold in color with a finger of white frothy head that quickly dissipates. Nose has some sweet jammy notes, some fruit, hops, and a faint touch of lemon.

The beer has a medium body and fairly firm mouthfeel, helped by a decent level of carbonation which opens the palate nicely. The flavor is nicely balanced, but a little grassy at mid-palate. Nice hop bitterness lingers a bit on the finish. Quite refreshing, though the flavor is not very complex or intense. I'm not sure exactly what the juniper berries contribute to this. There is, however, a slight metallic sweetness at the front of the tongue that I assume is of their doing.

Overall, this is basically an average American Pale Ale. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me, but I don't think I will seek it out again in the future. Been there, done that, time to move on.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

2.26/5  rDev -37.4%

I am a big fan of Rogue… and I am sure this one will be good. The name of the beer has me excited, as I am just starting to get into gin. Gin is pretty much juniper… in a glass. From the nose to the flavor, juniper is what produces a good, drinkable and enjoyable gin. I am new to gin, but I know Rogue makes a gin. The gin they make is actually produced at the Newport brewery. Anyway, I am hoping this beer has a hint of juniper… because now I am craving gin!

In the Glass: It looks like an unfiltered wheat beer. I am hooked on the Fretzys unfiltered wheat. This is what it reminds me of. The head is decent, at best, and the lace is almost nonexistent. But it looks clean, crisp, and drinkable. I will tell you, since I am such a hop head, pale ales are not in my routine when it comes to drinking a beer. I prefer the deeper darker imperial IPAs over a pale any day of the week.

Nose: I want it to smell, and taste, like gin. I know that the beer simply uses the juniper berries, but still. Rogue makes gin, too. Maybe it will smell like gin. It doesn't. It smells like any typical pale ale. Not bad, but also not great. Maybe it will taste like gin!

Flavor: I was just talking to someone on Google+ about this beer. He said it was "piney". I am not getting that at all. Last night I had a bottle of the Alpine Super IPA… and THAT is piney. It was like sniffing and drinking a glass of pine needles. But this one is pretty much boring. There isn't much flavor here. For using the same berry as the gin, I am a little disappointed.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty bad. It has a ton of carbonation, and is an uncharacteristic pale ale. As soon as it hits your lips, the small bubbles attack your tongue. It reminds me of a brettanomyces. Anyone that knows me knows I can't stand a brett.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is there and gone again. Not much of an aftertaste. I wanted it to be longer, more piney… like the guy on Google+ said. But it just wasn't. Coming from Rogue, a typically incredible brewery, I am very disappointed in this bottle.

We brought quite a few bottles with us from Indiana… we have two left. Both of those beers are boring, but once we get through those, we can go shopping again!!! That is my favorite part. I like having the beer in our fridge staring at me saying, "Please drink me." OK… I will! Bottoms up, people!

Juniper Pale Ale - The bottle says: "NA"

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A - tranparent copper-amber with a huge, soft, white head that has good retention

S - bready and sweet, some faint caramel

T - caramel, bready, bitter, subtle juniper berries

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is a pretty decent beer. It's a bit malt forward and the juniper berries are faint, but it's easy to drink and enjoyable. I'm not sure I'll buy it again, but I'd never turn it down.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%