Juniper Pale Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Herb and Spice Beer

10 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Crystal,
Triumph, Maier Munich & C-15.
Hops: Styrian Golding & Amarillo.

13º PLATO
77 AA
3º Lovibond

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-27-2001

Ratings: 1,330 |  Reviews: 678
4.05/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, pale, golden color. Has a large, frothy head that dissipates slowly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells of citrusy hops backed by a juniper smell that reminds me of gin (my favorite liquor). Smells delightful...

Taste: The juniper and bitter hops hit you strong up front. As it develops, bready malts join the mix making for a well-balanced and interesting pale ale. Certainly unique...

Mouthfeel: Crisp with a nice carbonation bite to it.

Drinkability: A unique and fun-to-drink pale ale. The addition of the juniper gives this beer a nice kick to it that really sets it apart from your typical pale ale. I'd procrastinated in having this beer and am disappointed that I did. Say what you will about Rogue as a whole but this is a solid beer in my book.

3.11/5  rDev -13.9%

One finger white froth over transparent golden. Smells of grains and herbs. "Pale ale" doesn't much come to mind once I take a sip. There's a melding of spice, hay, grains, earth, and herbs. A little watery in the mouthfeel. Allowing the beer to sit for a while really brings out the junipers.

This is an interesting beer, but it's not something I really see myself buying again.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This beer poured a slightly orange, pale yellow color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aromas produced by this beer were citrus fruit hops, no berry smell whatsoever (I've never eaten a juniper berry, but I expect something)

T - The taste of this beer I wasn't too fond of, compared to other great APA's, this one was a little harsh. The overwhelming taste is an herbal bitterness is off putting, but there was enough of a citrus hoppiness to make it an ok beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a light to medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This was not a beer I would seek out again, to many other great APA's in the market

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz. Bomber.Hazy honey color with standard Rogue fluffly head. Good lacing. Aroma is of hops, juniper and pacman yeast.(gotta love that pacman). Medium bodied and smooth. A tad bitter and a slight watery taste. Maybe the least favorite I've had from Rogue. Nothing like any APA's I've had yet every Rogue is a new adventure.

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

A nice treat from Rogue, a little bit of variety. This nice pale ale has a good amber color, with a nice off white head. The smell is citrusy and piney, with some fruity notes that I imagine are the juniper berries. The malt also lends a creaminess and some caramel aromas. The taste offers the same notes as the smell, with more complexity, fruitiness, maltiness, creaminess, caramel, etc. The mouthfeel is medium and fairly full, and the drinkability is very good. This is easily sessionable. Recommended.

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Golden copper in color, with a nice transparency to it, has almost no head at all, and left just a tiny bit of lacing around the glass.

S: Strong hints of lemon zest and grapefruit, following with some pine notes as well, the hops were present on the nose, no juniper though.

T: The balance of the beer was not to bad, the lemon and citrus were present throughout, hints of pine on the tongue as well, slight breadyness also. Still no juniper, that I noticed at least.

M: Medium Bodied, good amount of carbonation.

O: Nothing great about this beer, easy drinker, but was expecting different flavors from the herbal notes but didnt find them.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Golden yellow color with minimal head, but what is there is bright white. Totally transparent. Lacing is somewhat present on the sides of the glass.

S- Sour hops. Also, some floral and citurs smells there, but not alot like most pale ales. Caramel is very light, but is also present.

T- Semi bitter hops. Citrus and florals are there as specified in the nose.

M- Low carbonation (possibly from the tap) and is oily.

D- Does not go one way or another. Just average to me.

Overall- Just Ok. Decent ale, but is somewhat watery to me. It may be because this was from the tap, but I will definitely give another try to distinguish if this is indeed true.

2.63/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured coppery, clear, obviously fizzy. Thick soapy head that persisted for some time. ARoma - didn't get much there. Very light citrus, no juniper, maybe a little malty. VERY bitter on the taste - not citrus, and no juniper initially. A little sweetness, some malty notes but extremely bitter. Very dry at the finish, and then get some juniper/gin flavor. It was an OK beer to try, but not one I would go out of the way to find.

3.59/5  rDev -0.6%

I had heard of Yellow Snow before...who hasn't with its infamous name, but when I saw Juniper Pale Ale on the shelf I thought it was a new offering from Rogue. Regardless I've always wanted to try a Juniper inspired beer and this was my chance...

Basically a crystal clear orange body with a very small head composed of rather large bubbles. Disappeared to almost nothing rather quickly. This aspect definately needs to be worked on.

Aroma indicates this to be a pretty balanced beer between the hops and malts. Hops come out with a citrus and earthy side while the malts present a caramel sweetness with some buttery notes. Deep within are the subtle hints of what I assume to be some juniper. We don't have junipers in the south so I wouldn't know, but I have my suspicions as to what they smell like.

Taste is light. This would be acceptable in my book if there was a lighter malt/hop taste and a more pronouced dose of the juniper which the beer intends to highlight. Taste which is there offers up some bitterness in the finish in the form of a floral flavor which goes into a resin hop finish. Malt comes in slightly bready. Some subtle cedar berry hints in the finish (cedar is what I'm more familiar with, haha). But the only reason I would recognize that is b/c of the beer's name. Some buttery notes are introduced as well.

Mouthfeel is okay. A bit thin. Coats the mouth well enough. Drinkability is only a bit above average. The taste is alright, but any more than the bomber and I'd call it quits.

Not what I was expecting. I think this beer should be simplified a bit and hit a little heavier with the juniper to really allow this unique ingredient to shine. I think that the flavor combinations work against each other and down play the key player in this one.

4.02/5  rDev +11.4%

22-0z bomber, no date.

Pours golden yellow, transparent, with thick foam with tiny bubbles. Pretty persistent, with fine lacing along my wine glass. By the time I poured the last of it, I was pouring yeast or other sediments, dark speckles that did not seem to affect flavor but made the beer less transparent.

This has the malt aroma that seems to be a signature in most Rogue brews, I’m not quite sure what it is. I'll need to double check the ingredients. Anyhow, it's a nice malt. There is also something like vanilla cream. Funny, cause it is made with Juniper. I can find the Juniper in the nose, but the spiciness has another dimension. Intriguing.

Taste is malt, but there is something of that vanilla-like spice. The hops are primarily there for bittering, and balance the malt without giving you a big hop pucker. Bottle says 45 IBUs, which is higher than I would have guessed. This is delicious.

The mouthfeel is a bit oily, pleasantly coating the mouth, but the finish seems dry. Interesting textures

Starting Gravity is listed as only 13 deg Plato, but seems strong, and over the course of 22 ounces, the maltyness began to cloy. Maybe it could be a little more balanced? I wouldn’t drink more than one of these bombers in an evening.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

2.74/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a brilliant burnt orange color that is hazed a bit and produced a modest white head that dissipates to a light layer covering the beer like a blanket. It has a very, very faint aroma with nearly no discernable aromas. This is a very unique characteristic, or lack there of from an awesome brewery. The taste reveals lightly sweet malt with a well-pronounced hop. It is light bodied and finishes with a slightly dry bitter. Not a great representation of the style, but it could be a great crossover beer to get a macro drinker familiar with hops without shocking their taste buds. Cheers!

22 oz. Bottle

Appearance: This beer poured a hazey, deep golden color. The light tan head rose up big and chunky. A thin layer stuck around and helped to deposit a decent amount of lace on the glass.

Smell: There was a sweet malt smell combined with a very floral hops aroma.

Mouthfeel: A medium-bodied brew that was smooth. After I swallowed the beer, there was an oily, slick feeling left in my mouth.

Taste: There were some mild malt flavors up front that gave way to a hoppy bitterness. The hops was not a clean bitterness; it tasted like it felt in the mouth: oily. There was a sharp, almost fruity flavor on the finish with the hops. It might have been due to the juniper berries, but I can't say for sure since I have no idea what a juniper berry tastes like.

Overall, this was a decent brew. I wish it was a little more balanced and had a cleaner, drier finish to it, though.

Juniper Pale Ale from Rogue Ales