Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale

From:
Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Poor
Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon AleVoodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale
Notes: 13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond
Reviews: 418 | Ratings: 1,692 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by milliCAN:
3.25/5  rDev +14.8%

3.77/5  rDev +33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

No label information. Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is brewed in the style of a Smoked Ale with natural flavors added. Available as the first release in the Voodoo series in 750 ml. bottles and on limited draft.

Poured from a 750 ml. bottle to a snifter glass. Served above 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a crisp frothy head of a caramel cream complexion over a moderately hazy medium copper body with little visible carbonation. Retention is above average and lacing is light and spotty. 3.5

(Smell) Smoky malts, considerable doses of maple syrup, some cereal wheat and candied sugars, not much discernible bacon flavor but I suppose the smoky flavor may give the illusion of bacon. Altogether the combination of malt character, sweetened additives and sugars make for a robust collection of aromas. It's a heavy meal for the nose, and frankly I find it appealing at this stage, about as appealing as a sizable stack of pancakes with maple syrup is... before diving in. 4

(Taste) Charred wood, lightly sweetened cereal malts, a touch of dry maple and an understated sweetness, finishing on a profoundly meaty smoke flavor, strongly suggesting country cured pork products, perhaps even fatty bacon. My biggest complaint here is the limitation of the malt sweetness as insufficient to balance the smokiness of the specialty malts, perhaps this beer has become too dried out with time, otherwise it is bizarrely enjoyable. I know I'm not in the majority by this opinion, but I could realistically enjoy this bottle alone. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, lightly syrupy, moderately clean, lightly dry. Carbonation is modest, generating a light frothiness and a medium crisp finish. Body is medium+ for the style, medium/heavy overall. Balance is slightly earthy and smoky bitter over sweet. Alcohol presence is low and there are no notable off characters. 3.5

(Overall) I feel incredibly lucky reviewing this beer by myself, as I can't help but admit I enjoy it very much. The malt profile was hardly as cloying or viscous as I had feared it might be, although the maple and smoked wood character was still very forward, generating lots of flavor. At times I felt that the malt sweetness was dialed too low, bt I assume that three years of bottle conditioning had something to do with it. I could see enjoying a glass of this beer with a hearty, perhaps incredibly unhealthy breakfast to pair, but altogether I enjoyed this beer. 3.75

Rogue Ales'
Voodoo Doughnut Bacon Maple Ale
/5.00

1.32/5  rDev -53.4%

I bought this tonight as a "what the hell why not" $12 mistake. This is the worst thing I have ever drank. You should buy it just to see how bad it is!! Should be called Rogue jock strap sweat sock poison ivy band aid ale. I feel victimized and violated had to crack open a Gandhi Bot quickly just to feel normal again. Why dear god why would they put this out there!! I don't know if I will ever get that taste and smell out of my brain , some things cannot be undone. Pray for me.

1.36/5  rDev -51.9%

Wow. Worst beer I've ever tried. A friend bought a bottle of this in Whitefish, Mont. The pink bottle sat unopened in the back of the fridge for two or three months. Being a vegetarian, I refused to drink it when my friend offered it to me.

One night, I found myself beer-less --- nary a PBR in the fridge, even.

I looked at the pink bottle. OK, I'll give it a try. Opened it, shared a glass with my friend. After a few sips I poured my glass out onto the grass in the back yard. My friend soon followed. The entire remainder of the bottle got dumped.

Let me be clear -- I don't waste beer, ever, on principle. I will happily drink even Milwaukee's Best.

But this beer ... oh man. It is an exceptional beer in that it is so bad.

It was pretty good beer.

4.84/5  rDev +71%

11 month old bottle.

A - A really nice looking beer. Bright nectarine amber body. Fine bubbled, off-white head with great retention and ok lace.

S - Wow, delicious crispy meaty bacon, real maple syrup, and waffles.

T - Stellar smokey salty bacon with touch of sweet maple over a blanket of malt. Think bacon waffle batter, slow cooked in a hickory wood smoker. Lingering maple finish lasts for freak'n ever.

M - Thick and creamy, with a low level of carbonation that works well for the flavor profile.

O - Best smoke beer I've ever had. If you're a fan of smoke beers, you need to find yourself one of these.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

The aroma offers woody smoke, maple, oxidation.

The beer is thin on the palate and smokey. Bacony with some meaty flavors along with a hint of maple flavor as well. However, not really balanced by much sweetness as the malts don't carry the flavors all that well with that light bready and toasted quality. A good amount of oxidation with the age. Falling on the palate quickly.

4.07/5  rDev +43.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Welp, here goes nothing

A- pours a very dark amber with a puffy, two finger offwhite head that quickly fades away. Lacing doesn't look too hot.

S- strong aroma of maple syrup, and I'm getting a little smoke in there too...it actually works out pretty nicely together

T- I'm drinking this expecting some sort of awful ashtray flavor that other reviewers have noted....and I'm not getting it. At all. Bottle variation, or Rogue bias? Regardless, what I AM getting is a slight hint of smoke in the finish, with some sweetness from the maple in the beginning. It's not really a powerful maple flavor, though...but it's there. And the smoke is fine, it's not anywhere near the level that people are claiming they're getting out of this.

M- medium bodied. Not much there

O- you know what? I really liked this. I think I'm going to order more. Thanks, Rogue

1.4/5  rDev -50.5%

3.62/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

ST: 750 into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber with a LOT of carbonation and a thin, slightly off-white head (leaves spotty lacing).

S:No denying its name sake, bacon and maple dominate. It has the dry burning wood aroma that you find in some German beers (I am blanking on the type right now, I think rauchbier). But behind the bacon is the maple and, actually, the smell of doughy sweet donuts. The aroma of this beer is unique.

T: Very boozy and hoppy up front kills most of the flavor except for a bit of burnt bacon. The burnt bacon flavor with some maple sweetness shows up in the finish along with some spiciness and alcohol. It is an interesting flavor, and the finish is better than the start.

M: Heavy

O: I am glad I tried this beer. It is not balanced well, and many of the unique flavors are pushed to the back, but the aroma is amazing and the fatty bacon flavor in the finish is enjoyable. It is something I was very interested in trying. I have to give thanks to one of my good friends who got this for me as a groomsmen gift.

4.5/5  rDev +59%

4.94/5  rDev +74.6%

Wow, the name just conjures the image of a drooling Homer Simpson.

A beautiful amber hue with a white head greets the eye. It does resemble a smoked beer after all. I wasn't expecting something darker so it fits.

Ohhhh, glazed maple donuts, wrapped in applewood smoked bacon. Wow. I love this. I don't care what everyone else says. This is unique. I need more bottles of it!

Beechwood, applewood, cherrywood, hickory and maple explode in my mouth. Oh my god. Ohhh. It's an orgasm in my mouth!

Dry finish too! Like the aftertaste of a finely smoked meat. Wow. Just wow.

This beer will probably not appeal to everyone. I am in love though and I will add that as a Vermonter, I have beers with maple added and this is an amazing effort.

Forgive me fellow BAs, for I have sinned....at the altar of the almighty bacon!

3.25/5  rDev +14.8%