Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Reviews: 414 | Ratings: 1,680
3.01/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml pink coated brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Wades Wines in Westlake Village, California for $12.99 plus tax and served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Expectations are low; it seems like a gimmicky beer with a proliferance of flavours that don't seem appealing when combined. I usually enjoy Rogue's beers, though, and I'm hoping it's good. I like the style.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, slight cream, below average thickness, and average retention considering the merely average ABV. Colour is a mundane semitransparent copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Doughnut is certainly recognizable, a feature I find intriguing if suspect. Applewood, maple, and smoke are all pungent. Rather fresh and appealing. I don't think anyone's doubting it's a unique aroma. Very bold and experimental. Bravo, rogue. I'm just hoping it's not too sugary. I'm rather impressed by the character of the aroma, which never feels artificial. I search for bacon but don't find it. The aroma is downright strong, to its credit.

T: Sweet applewood, brown sugar, maple wood, maple syrup, and a distinctive doughnut flavour are all noticeable. Bacon and smoke are notably absent. Cherry wood and appley crisp malts form the body. It's certainly full-bodied and well rounded. The malt layering is fantastic, and really lends the beer a central core that works incredibly well as a good foundation. Unfortunately, there is a syrupy artificial quality to the maple in particular, which brings the quality of the flavour profile down. These are bold, experimental flavours, and they're nicely balanced, This could easily beat you over the head but it restrains itself from doing so. That said, I wouldn't dare venture to call this subtle. For what the beer is trying to do, it's pretty decently built. Whether or not it's a good aim in the first place is up for debate. Complex and intricate with a perhaps undesirable end result. I like it in small quantities I guess. It feels boozier than it is, which is a problem. Very sweet and overburdened by sugars.

Mf: Entirely too thick and syrupy, but in a way that's what the brewers seem to be going for. I don't think anyone buys this thinking it will be thin. Smooth and wet, but lacking depth or fullness. Surprisingly light on the palate - to its discredit. Adequately carbonated. Actually somewhat watery on the finish.

Dr: The more I drink it, the less I like it. It's not at all drinkable; I don't know that I'm looking forward to consuming a full bottle of this. The scene in Super Troopers wherein they drink the syrup comes to mind. Doesn't hide its mere 5.6% ABV well. Where's the smoke and bacon? An interesting beer that everyone should try merely for its unique quality and impressive aroma, but not a fantastic beer by any margin. I applaud Rogue for the innovation, and I think there's a better beer to be made based on some of the better qualities of this one. But I won't be buying this one again. An oddity, but less of a gimmick than I anticipated.

A decent candidate for aging perchance. I'd be interested to see if the sugars receded over time.

Drinks fine out of a pint glass. I don't know that there's a better serving vessel.

Would pair well with diabetes medication. Okay, that was a cheap shot.

Priced highly.

C

2.52/5  rDev -19.7%

I had this at the pre Jackie O's release tasting at fluff. Poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a ring of white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, not sure how much of that comes from the bacon or not. Definitely picking up the sweetness from the maple syrup.

Taste: Think maple syrup poured into water and then smoked. Not a huge fan.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really weird beer. I'm really glad I was able to try it, but I wouldn't want more.

3.82/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Pours with two fingers of off-white foam on top of a slightly hazy, golden-brown body. the head settles fairly quickly and leaves light lace.

S - I can smell smoke and maple syrup before I even pick the glass up. A strongly smoky aroma of hickory, leather, and peat with hugely sweet maple sugar and some bacon. It smells like flavored pipe tobacco.

T - A shockingly mild (after that aroma) flavor of sweet, bready malt and smoke up front. Some maple sugar flavors come out in the middle and the smoke ramps up with hickory and bacon notes. The beer finishes with strong, now peaty, smoke and maple as well as a lingering leathery character.

M - Medium body, moderately high carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - Really weird, the odd flavorings really jump out in the aroma, but the flavor is relatively subdued. Based on the aroma I expected something huge and over the top smoky, but the flavor profile is much more in line with the modest alcohol content. I like smoky beers and this one work quite a bit better than I expected. It is, nonetheless, a novelty and certainly not something I would drink regularly and if you don't like smoke this isn't going to appeal to you at all.

3.92/5  rDev +24.8%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, no bottle dating. Pours hazy orange amber color with a nice 2 finger fluffy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of huge smoked ham, bacon, caramel, smoke, brown sugar, molasses, and maple syrup. Fantastic aromas with a ton of smoked meat flavors and nice balance. Taste of smoked ham, caramel, bacon, brown sugar, toast, maple syrup, smoke, molasses, and herbal spiciness. Lingering notes of smoked meat, caramel, brown sugar, toast, molasses, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a bit. Very nice balance of smokey and malty flavors; with zero cloying sweetness on the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with nearly zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very nice smoked beer. Nice balance of smokey and malty flavors; and very smooth to drink. I don’t get all the hate for this one, I really enjoyed it. I like rauchbiers a lot though.

2.43/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Large shared 2012(?) bottle that didn't get finished even with 5 people sharing it (although there was plenty of competition in the form of better beers).
Very smoky aroma and too much smoke in the flavor.
Overall: Sound good? ... look into Funky Buddha. This one is a smoky-sweet mess.

1.74/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way.

3.6/5  rDev +14.6%

A: Pours a hazy golden orange to ruby red in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation, primarily near the surface of the beer. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that slowly reduces to a thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a small thicker patch and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light amounts of hickory smoke with a much more significant amount of maple sweetness - very inviting. The smell becomes more balanced between the smoke and the maple as the beer warms.

T: The beer starts out with a moderate amount of smokiness - you can taste the different types of wood that were used to smoke the malts and bacon. There are some light to moderate notes of iodine, maple, and just the slightest bacon hint. There is a lingering smokiness from this beer.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. There is a light cottony/chalky coating feel left in your mouth - a light different kind of dryness than I have experienced in other beers.

O: This beer would pair perfectly with a breakfast of pancakes or french toast. The smoke smell from this beer reminds me of the smell of the wood smoke from a great BBQ joint - the hickory, beech, cherry, and applewood. I enjoyed this beer quite a bit but my expectations were not that it was going to be sweet. I would have this beer again - and I love the pink spray painted bottle.

2.41/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a murky brown color with a small off-white head that vanishes quickly. This smells like diabetes. Cloyingly sweet with a very smokey and meaty aroma to it. Maple syrup, sugar, brown sugar, and caramel are all very prominent. The flavor is just not enjoyable. Intense smoke, meat, and salt flavors washed down with several different varieties of sugar. No thanks.

3.19/5  rDev +1.6%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

This is the first beer my friends and I enjoyed in the then-brand new 2012. It pours a partly cloudy sunrise amber topped by about a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose is a blast of sweet doughnut (powdered sugar, bread, frosting, the works...I think I even got some sprinkles in there...), with a vague touch of beech smoke in the very back. Delicious. The taste, though, goes decently awry, with the smoke coming closer to the audience (and now wearing a bit of an oak mask), the sweetness faded almost completely, the bread taking a larger role than before, and some mild maple syrup randomly inserting itself into conversations at the most awkward moments. The combination just doesn't come together as it did in the smell; instead, it leaves a strange, mildly objectionable taste in my mouth. The body is a light-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a sorta slick feel, and a sorta/kinda dry finish. Overall, a laudable experiment, but one that falls short of true success. Now, if only I could make a candle from the aroma...

3.91/5  rDev +24.5%

Thanks to Cory for sending me this beer. Wanted to try it ever since Rogue announced it since I have been to Voodoo and had the Bacon Maple Doughnut.

A: Pours a hazy amber color with a small foamy head on top, white in color. Not much retention or lacing at all.

S: Tons going on here. Right away I get the maple syrup, its sweet and very strong. There is some bacon, a little bit of smoke, and a little bit of dough. Definitely reminds me of the doughnut.

T: Extremely sweet. There is some bready malt, some of the syrup shows up and a little bacon, but neither as much as the aroma. The smoke comes in really strong on the finish, almost like an aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with active carbonation. Not oily, but it coats my mouth. Pretty easy drinking for a smoke beer though.

O: Pleasantly surprised, based off the reviews. Looking at the goal of the brewer, and having had the doughnut, I think it was as close as a beer could get. Now, would I drink this all the time? No, but would I give it another go, probably, but would make sure to at least split it with someone else again.

3.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to Capone's. Sampled from a sampler glass.

A - Pours murky amber orange with a small half finger tall white head leaving light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of lots of smoke, a bit of maple sweetness and not much else. I like it for what it is but I really don't get a lot of maple or doughnut. More like a slightly sweet smoked porter.

T - Starts off with plenty of smoke slowly giving way to a mix of sweetness and even more smoke and that is about it. The nose are decent but the taste was a big let down. The finish is just like the beginning, smoke and sweetness, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Smokey, slightly sweet, feel that lingers through the finish.

O - Not bad but not great either. This is mostly just a glorified sweet smoked ale. If you have a good imagination you might like this one but just based off the beer it is just OK.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes. 750ml bottle shared at a recent tasting. It poured a brown orange color and had some reddish highlights to it in the light. A thin white lacing was scattered across the top and concentrated around the edges of the glass.

The aroma has a big smoky, bacon and brown sugar presence in it. I get some bready, dough like flavors and some candy like maple sweetness. I really liked the smokiness to it, but the candy, brown sugar sweetness was a little intense.

The taste has a lot of very powerful flavors going on. Brown sugar and smoky bacon up front with some maple coming out in the finish. It's very sweet and almost candy like. It's pretty smoky as well with some liquid smoke like properties. The candied, maple, brown sugar sweetness is just too much for me though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall it was a very interesting beer with some cool flavors at times, but it just didn't come together well. The sweet and smoky flavors were just too extreme and they didn't seem to have anything to help balance them. Being a smoked beer lover though I did enjoy the smoke to it at times. It was cool to try, but hard to have anything more then a small sample of.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%

From 05/31/12 notes. Been wanting to try this one for a while despite the reviews. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep murky amber color with two inches of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of maple, smoke, bacon, fruit, sugar, and sweet fruity malts.. Smoke and maple are very strong in the taste, and are pretty nice.

t - Tastes of smoke, bacon, maple, fruity malts, sweet molasses and sugar. Taste is similar to the nose, but less maple and not as sweet. A step down for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation, pretty smooth body.

o - Overall a decent smoked beer, though the smoke is very strong. Nose is exactly what I imagine they were going for, though the maple is faded in the taste. Interesting to try but wouldn't seek it out again, one to share for sure.

2.91/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer is hazy brown with an off white head. The smell offers sweet malts, fruit. More smoke emerges in the flavor. Thin and sweet with a strange finish. The doughnut aspect comes through to a certain degree, but this beer is a bit of a mess, as the sweet, smokey doughnut thing just isn't doing it for me.

3.61/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I could have sworn that I had transcribed these notes previously! It is indicative of why I am leaving the teaching profession - time burns away for nine-plus months in return for the summers off. Bah! It was early-to-mid September 2013 and fellow beer writer, Beer Island, had stopped by. I had been sitting on this bomber for a while and I figured that since I had help, I would finally open it. That, and it had not been an inexpensive purchase to begin with!

From the bottle: "Dedicated to Tres & Cat Daddy, th Rogues of Voodoo Doughnuts."

I popped off the "oxygen fixing cap" and gave us each a nice pour, producing two fingers of deep-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep-amber (they note it as 30 Lovibond) with NE-quality clarity. I usually look at others' reviews and i quickly realized that the nose had mellowed since its initial release, becoming much less maple-sweet and more like a bacon smokiness. It suddenly hit me - it smelled like dark rum! Mouthfeel was kind of thin and watery, but by closing my eyes, I could have sworn that I had rum in my glass. Finish was smoky-sweet and from what I could gather from previous reviews, much better than it had been, initially.

4.07/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from the bottle into a snifter glass. I've avoided you for so long now, and after one chance encounter in Delaware, the die has been cast.

A cloudy somewhat pale orange amber body, maybe even red, thin bubbled pinhead rising yellow carbonation, sitting with an off white/yellow two finger and fluffy to creamy head. Kind of interesting, very nice color.

Nose brings as the label promises. Bacon smoke and meat, sweet maple syrup, it's like breakfast pancakes and sausage on the side. The sweetness and savory bacon feels really nicely balanced. Fun. Inviting. If at a little scary maybe. Not sure where this is going.

Surprisingly not as sweet as expected. Quite mellow actually. Incredible amounts of smoke on this, but luckily not very phenolic or band aid tasting like many poor Rauchbiers. Palate is just a hint of wet, and a very faint maple without the sweetness. There's a hint of some mild bitterness from maybe old hop on the finish too, even with sweet cream maple hiding. Lots of char and carbon and smoke but strongly tolerable amazingly.

I've had some big smokey beers but they were just so phenolic. This is managed well, even if it is old and from the first original batch. A smoke meat bomb, with just a touch of light sweetness.

3.35/5  rDev +6.7%

Hazy, crimson appearance, under a lush, looming, booming, slightly off-white head, sparkling and lace-leaving.

Aroma: screams out from first pour, the maple and the bacon, together as one. Let's go in further…Smoke hits first, and you can feel the fire below, plenty of char above the maple and bacon, like walking into a freshly burned building. I think I liked it better before I went in for a closer sniff.

Taste: Big, fresh smoked malt right away, matched with mild hoppiness, and then in roars the maple, then the bacon. Malt is lighter than I imagined. Did I expect a porter? Perhaps I anticipated a breadier mouthfeel, for a more "doughnutty" taste?
Maybe because I've never had a Voodoo Maple Bacon Doughnut, I can't compare this against it's true inspiration?

Somewhat thinnish mouthfeel, uninspiring flavor, beyond the gimmicky additions. Doesn't make me think of a doughnut in the least.

This should only be sampled among a large group of friends so that everyone gets a smallish taste, and can all agree on how sad this brew is…don't make my mistake and try to tackle it on your own.

4.84/5  rDev +54.1%

11 month old bottle.

A - A really nice looking beer. Bright nectarine amber body. Fine bubbled, off-white head with great retention and ok lace.

S - Wow, delicious crispy meaty bacon, real maple syrup, and waffles.

T - Stellar smokey salty bacon with touch of sweet maple over a blanket of malt. Think bacon waffle batter, slow cooked in a hickory wood smoker. Lingering maple finish lasts for freak'n ever.

M - Thick and creamy, with a low level of carbonation that works well for the flavor profile.

O - Best smoke beer I've ever had. If you're a fan of smoke beers, you need to find yourself one of these.

3.32/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a slightly hazed, copper-orange coloring with a thin, light, small bubbled, off-white head that sits a slim profile on the surface. Aromas of smoke, maple sweetness, and a meaty quality. Heavy on the nose. The flavors are smokey initially, which dissipates quickly, leaving a pepper-smoked meaty character with a maple sweet highlight. This almost tastes like a birch beer at this point. Very strong flavor profile, all riding a subtle, smooth maple sweet backbone. The aftertaste is sweet and smokey, leading into a quick, clean, somewhat underwhelming finish. Flavor profiles on this one end up somewhat jumbled, and the body felt a little too light to support what was going on.

3.47/5  rDev +10.5%

750 ml pepto pink bottle straight from the brewery. A collectors bottle, it's pretty awesome looking. Poured into two tulip glasses for purposes of a video review. Notes transcribed from the footage.

A: Clear copper/amber colored body with a decent white bubbly head that didn't stick around for too long. Really active carbonation, lots of bubbles clinging to the glass. A bit of lace and a thin retention ring is all that's left after the initial dissipation.

S: Wow, holy mother of all things that are applewood smoked bacon and maple syrup. Loads of sweet maple syrup and a smokey, meaty back end. In the middle, you honestly can smell a sugared doughy doughnut scent. It sort of smells like those deep fried, crystallized sugar covered doughnuts at the Chinese restaurants.

T: Now this is an interesting one. Starts off with sweet maple syrup that leads into a sugary plain doughnut. Let it settle on the palate after you swallow and tons of smoked bacon come through. It's smokey, meaty and salty but still retains some of that residual sugary flavor from the front of the palate. Complex, crazy, and strangely good. If you're trying to tell me this beer lacks flavor, please stop reviewing beers; your palate is terrible.

M: Bubbly, highly active carbonation but it doesn't ever feel thin or watery. Medium body not thick or sticky, just very easy drinking for a smoked beer.

This is insanity in a glass. And no doubt this will certainly be a polarizing beer. You absolutely need to be comfortable with smoked beers, sweet beers and have an open palate to appreciate all the complexities in this beer. I mean, what did you expect for a beer called "Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale" - it's exactly what it's made out to be. Rogue took a huge chance on this beer and I think it paid off, they achieved what they set out to do. In closing, split this damn bottle, you'll get tired of even 12 ounces of it.

3.16/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and good lacing. Smells of strong maple syrup, sugar, hint of bacon, hint of smoke, hint of sweet malt, and a hint of roasted malt. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. The syrup and bacon flavors combine to make a very strong and un[pleasant cloying sensation Does not seem to fit the style of a Smoked Beer, but I'm at a loss as to what category this might fall into (Herbed/Spiced Beer ?). Tastes of strong syrup, slight bacon, hint of sweet malt, sugar, a hint of smoke, and a hint of pale malt.

3.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Production date of March 17, 2012. Poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Medium yellow/amber colour with 2 fingers of bubbly cream coloured head.

S - Massive smoke/bacon aroma up front with a touch of maple and some sweet grainy/bready notes in the background that do have a donut-y character to them.

T - Massive smoke and bacon flavours up front. A touch of sweet maple is present in the middle. The finish highlights the bready donut-like flavour before the smoke returns in the finish.

M - Medium body; somewhat creamy. Light to moderate carbonation.

O - The beer it self was not outstanding but they pulled off the flavours very well. Everything was there - the bacon, the maple and the donut. Definitely a bottle to share.

3.89/5  rDev +23.9%

small white head on an amber body

Smells like pancakes! Maple syrup.

More pancakes. Slight smokiness. Very different, like nothing I've ever had before.

Medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

"In small doses this stuff is fantastic." -TATURBO. Agreed. Wouldn't want anymore than a few ounces but did enjoy my portion of a bottle split 8 ways. I recommend the doing the same.

2.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A brown pour from a pink bottle. Who says the eyes have no influence over appetite?

smell was sweet maple and some runny bacon. That's really about it. The aromas fluctuate between interesting and off-putting.

never had any Voodoo Donuts (lines were always too long), but I hope they don't taste like this. Not that the flavor is bad...just waaay too sweet and complicated. Doughy, maple, bacon, and several tons of sugar. Maybe salt? Lotta smoke.
This beer is almost, or maybe is, too complicated. the carbonation is thrown aside by the smoke and sugar gladiators, which is too bad. Something needs to signify the end to each gulp, instead it just whimpers away

3.77/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Maple is good, and bacon is better. I could see putting one or the other in a batch of beer, but putting both in the same beer? There's a possibily that this would either be to delicious, or too strange. Nonetheless, I'm already committed, and sharing the bottle with a friend was a good way to dispose of it. On to the beer:

Brown with a touch of amber. That head forms up an inch thick and retains reasonably well. The smell has been nailed. Sweet and smokey. Full on maple glaze, and enough smoked bacon to provide an excellent contrast to the sweetness. I want a donut right now, but unfortunately all the shops are closed.

It takes some time to get the maple and bacon, after expecting so much based off its great aroma. The maple seems to be more dominant here, but relatively speaking, it's very mild. The bacon is even more mild than the maple. I was glad to catch these modest notes, otehrwise this might have been a brown ale with nothing to it.

Not a bad attempt by Rogue. For the price, one would expect more (including myself). But if you love to taste experimental ales, you may want to check this out.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales