Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Ratings: 1,687 |  Reviews: 416
2.14/5  rDev -23.6%

My wife bought two bottles of this because she liked the color (pink) of the bottle and we'd been by Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland. We took a bottle to two different parties with craft/micro beer aficionados and could not get people to finish a bottle at either party. Just too strange of a taste or smell for folks. More smoke than bacon.

However, I did use the beer in a recipe for honey glazed chicken (from Cooking Light) and the rich maple smokey flavor of the beer made a for a superior chicken dinner.

4.19/5  rDev +49.6%

Poured from bottle into a pint glass.

A- Hazy/cloudy light amber body, decent off white head, with little retention. Not much lacing at all. Looks nice though.

S- Smokey maple... Lots of smokiness! Can't seem to get the bacon out of there, but it smelled great, not very complex, just inviting.

T- Your palate follows the nose! Smokey maple, applewood bacon, you can't really get all the malts or hop flavor out of this, but I still enjoyed it very much.

MF- medium body, medium-sharp carbonation. flavor hangs around a lot.

O- As much ingredients that were added into this beer, you really just get hit head on with the smoked maple malts. If you like that smokiness it's a great beer to try, and I liked it a lot. I definitely want to give it another go. This isn't an overly complex beer, though you would think it is. It all depends on your taste if you want this ale in your mouth. Not bad at all though.

2.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.74/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber shared with my girlfriend. Much anticipated by her. Threw it in a pint glass.

Hazy pond water brown... strike that. Cloudy pond water brown with some orange tones. That's the color. Sudsy head with mottled bubble formations. Retaining well.

Wowsers! It smells like a maple doughnut to the max. Light smokiness doesn't necessarily imply bacon. Just a touch of smoked malts seeping through sweet doughiness. Raised doughnuts, maple icing, burning kindling, sugary sweetness. Aroma fits the name and intention to a tee.

Back to the smoked beer kingdom. Deliciously smoky with a salty meat quality. Planty hop character pecks at you a bit behind a veil of smoked malts and lingering cereal sweetness. The maple note is lighter now, and appropriately so. Picking up some caramel. Not too much going on, complexity-wise. Attenuated flavor. Needs tuned-up. Light alcohol.

I like a smoked beer to be lower in carbonation, so this is a tad prickly on the palate. Body is just around medium with some drinkability salvaged. Not a bad glass to imbibe.

I've read some other reviews, and while I get that the beer disappoints upon first sip, I wouldn't kick this brew out of bed. Partial to the style, I'm fond of the big smoky notes and the implication of bacon. The aroma on this thing really sets the beer on fire. It could've only gone downhill from there, it was so good.

3.21/5  rDev +14.6%

A: A thin pumpkin-ruby color. Little head.

S: Poured this into a snifter hoping to bring out a bit of everything... Bam: hits you with bacon and maple which I was honestly surprised of. Very sweet. Some pancake in there... bacon pancakes makin' bacon pancakes take some bacon and I put it in a pancake...

But seriously this smells killer.

T: The taste is like watery smoke. Some really interesting things going on with hints of maple and bacon but it's really overpowered by like a bitter wet log flavor. Very dull I would have to say. Those very sharp flavors that hit so well in the smell are not very present in the taste. I mean this is really watery.

M: Very carbonated, but the carbonation is smooth. Sits light with little flavor development other than that wet log taste.

Overall this is pretty poor. That smell had me thinking that this was going to be killer and that these reviews were wrong. But.... after getting a taste I was very dissapointed. The smoke is great and certainly this is the most smoky beer I've ever had but then the rest of the taste is super dull and it doesn't demonstrate all the same things as the smell. I can probably finish the bottle, but it's not putting a smile on my face.

1.74/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA

Yeah, finally broke down and decided to try this one, despite the mixed to negative reviews and reports. And after one serving, I'm going to have to side with the naysayers on this one.

Decanted into an East End stem glass, a hazy, amber liquid, a somewhat aggressive pour producing about three fingers of rocky beige head; nice retention and lacing. Looked fine enough, but unfortunately, that's about where the beauty ended for this beer. A heavy hit of smoke in the nose, which I guess could be vaguely construed as bacon, but is more like spent cigarette ash and heavily salted pork jerky. With time, the aroma improved a bit, with the sweet maple coming out more as the beer warmed. A quick taste of sweet malts and maple greeted me up front, but within hmm probably less than a second, the gritty ash taste took over, accompanied by rock salt and rubber, making it feel like I just chain-smoked half a pack of cigarettes while changing a tire on a snow- and saline-covered roadway, instead of eating a side of bacon with my doughnut. Mouthfeel was pretty off-putting as would be imagined, about medium bodied. Maybe as a stout or porter this concept for a beer would would better, but as a thinned out pale ale, it's just not happening. Two half pours among the wife and I, and the rest of this was a drain pour. I don't know why an otherwise great brewery like Rogue keeps making this stuff, but someone must be buying it in bulk quantities to keep it in production.

A good beer in theory, but not in reality. Pure novelty here, and not in a good way.

1.59/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance - Pours a solid looking 2-3 finger head that looks like it might stay around a while. The body has a nice dark amber color.

Smell - a bit of bacon, a hint of maple, a dash of hops in there . . . and a lot of - what is that? - liquid smoke? interesting, let's see how it tastes.

Taste - Oh. My. God. Smoke. Smoke like I licked the sole of an arsonist's shoe. My brain won't let this past my tongue. Ok, this is different . . . really different. I gave it another test, a bit more ready for the intense flavor. a bit of swirl over the tongue, let it settle a bit in my mouth, let my brain process the flavors, and . . . nope, i cannot drink this.

Overall - Appearances can be deceiving. I thought it poured well, look good in the glass, but, though I expected it to be different, this was just . . . plain . . . awful. Up until now I've never poured a bomber down the sink before, but now i have. I now have a very cool looking bottle, one that used to contain a beer I will never try again.

3.5/5  rDev +25%

3.14/5  rDev +12.1%

A- pours a clear amber with a fair amount of white head. nothing special.

S- strong maple scent with aslight toasty maltiness tied together by smoke. This really does smell like breakfast, easily the strong suite of this beer.

T- liquid smoke upfront. I guess thats what fermented bacon tastes like... The smoke fades slightly and makes way for maple and malts. The finish is slight hops and maple. Does kind of remind me of a doughnut in the finish... not unpleasant, but nothing mind blowing either.

M- this is far too thin for beer with this flavor profile. I think it woul do better to be be more full bodied and less carbonated.

O- This is unique but doesn't really do it for me, especially for the price. I think a porter with a little bit more alcohol would be an improvement on this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +60.7%

3.13/5  rDev +11.8%

Hazy amber brown with a thick, sticky, oily head.

If I had smelled fermented pork before I would say..."Oh yeah, fermented pork!" Smokey X5, sweet from the maple and very strong.

I just con not believe how smokey it is... Slightly sweet on the nose, then a steep drop into thoroughly smoked pork thats crazy powerful... Bets had with intense BBQ.

Light fizz that goes quickly unlike the flavor of the smoke. Feels surprisingly thin.

2.69/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Poured out a dark cloudy copper color with a thick light khaki colored head with minimal retention and almost no lacing on the glass.

S: The smell is exactly as advertised on the bottle. There is a very distinct sweet maple smell with smaller notes of bacon and barbecue smoke. It is an interesting smell to say the least - makes me want breakfast.

T: Deep down, the beer reminds me of an American amber which would normally be a good thing - but not in this case. The promise of the smell quickly fades and you are left with an overpowering smoke taste that downs out most of everything else.

M: A light bodied beer with fairly low carbonation.

O: Imagine taking a drink of the liquid smoke while you are cooking a brisket. That is exactly what this beer tastes like - drinking liquid smoke. I bought the beer for the same reason as probably most - the intrigue of the bacon maple advertising. Unfortunately i was just left with a taste in my mouth like I just licked a camp fire.

1.5/5  rDev -46.4%

2.42/5  rDev -13.6%

The Pepto-Bismo pink caught my attention at the store. Seeing the words doughnut, bacon, maple and ale on one label was too much to pass up. Unfortunately, the taste wasn't there. I could smell the maple, but the bacon was simply a smoky flavor. I spent $15 on the bottle and ended up pouring about $11 of it down the drain.

3.35/5  rDev +19.6%

Been sitting on this bottle for about 4 months now. 22oz bomber.

Appearance- An aggressive pour yielded a 1-finger cream-colored head, which quickly evaporated from the chill-hazed orange-amber body. No visible signs of carbonation from the sides of the glass.

Aroma- Quite an interesting nose. It actually smells like a maple frosted donut (no bacon on the nose)! Don't know how else to describe it! As the beer warms, a mild smoke aroma begins to emerge as well... just an accent to the preceding doughy, maple characteristics.

Flavor- The flavor falls very short of expectations. Up front, I get a very weak pale malt backbone with a mild quinine-like bitterness. The midpalate is a is reminiscent of a watered-down marzen and the quinine flavor carries through. The finish exhibits a strong quinine-like bitterness more than anything else, followed by a brief echo of smoke (presumably from the bacon). No esters to be found anywhere to allude to top fermentation. Certainly nothing that jumps out to me as bacon, maple or donut. As the beer warmed, more smoke came-through on the palate, and the flavor components seemed to coalesce.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied. Reasonably soft carbonation. Mild astringency. A bit thinner than I would have expected from the description of the beer.

Overall- I had high hopes for this beer. The concept is fantastic. The end product just didn't meet what I had in my head. I highly recommend letting this thing get to 60 degrees F before making up your mind about it...

3.25/5  rDev +16.1%