Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 416

2.87/5  rDev -8.3%

App: Offwhite head, quickly dissipates. Slight lacing. Dirty copper in color.

Nose: Toasted bbq maple, oaky, I honestly smell pork.

Taste: Pork, mesquite, crispy bacon with a sweet finish. Toasted or smoked malts are really nice in this beer.

Notes: Very interesting. I wish there were more doughnut than bacon on the palate. Give it a try, but have someone else buy it.

3.23/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: The best thing you can say about this beer is that it is a real looker; three or four fingers of foam stack the clear amber liquid; the retention is great as is the lacing

Smell: Just as advertised, smells like a bacon maple doughnut - not sure what a Voodoo smells like, however

Taste: What smells rather interesting just tastes bizarre, with the bacon, smoke, doughnut and maple and maple flavors all interspersed; I take that back - it is interesting for a few sips and then it becomes bizarre; of all the flavors, it is the doughnut that lingers on the tongue in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: This one belongs in the category of "Just because you can make it doesn't mean you should."

2.04/5  rDev -34.8%

From notes.

4oz (more or less) sample poured from a pepto-pink bomber(The color of this bottle should have given me pause) that Tom at Jones Radiator decided to pour samples of to a bar lined with regulars. He had previously told us that it was not good and I guess some of us had voiced some doubt, so he pulled out the other bomber he had purchased so we could taste for ourselves.

Poured a fairly clear amber color with some off-white foam that didn't hang around too long.

WHOA! Big maple syrup and smoke scent that seemed way too overpowering.

Taste was even worse than the smell, with sugary maple syrup, BURNED maple syrup, and a smoky, ashy flavor that I can only assume was trying to approximate bacon.

Mouthfeel and carbonation, along with the appearance of this beer, are the least objectionable aspects of this beer, but who really cares at this point?

There's a word for this beer, and that word is "YARF!", spoken while one's head is poised over a toilet. Tasting this beer was regretted by all who partook. Sometimes the gimmick factor isn't enough. This was one of those times.

2.15/5  rDev -31.3%

22oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - It is tea colored with an inch of two of beige head.

S - It has a strong maple aroma. It actually smells a little like a glazed doughnut.

T - Um. Not good. It is sickeningly sweet. It is loaded with maple and I get a horrible aftertaste.

M - Thin

O - I have wanted to try this beer for a while now. Now I am wishing that I would not have tried it. This is about as close to a drain pour as I can imagine. I would never dump a beer but if I did it would be this one.

3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale pours a nice looking copper color. It’s very hazy. Backlighting gives it more of an orange look. I like the color. An off-white head caps it and stands roughly a finger or so tall. It’s rather quick to recede to a surface covering, but holds there for a bit. Lacing was very light and spotty.

The nose is pretty good. It kicks off with a very sweet, sugary smell. It’s definitely maple. No doubt about it. It’s definitely the focal point in this one. There are some smoky notes that follow. I wouldn’t say it really smells like bacon, but it’s not bad. Light yeasty and hoppy notes are present on the tail. The hops smell a little grassy. They’re subtle though. Alcohol is pretty well buried. I’m not getting any. Smells pretty good. It’s not all that deep, but it’s alright.

The flavor is likewise pretty good. Better than I expected. It has a strong, sweet maple flavor on the first sip and it lingers throughout. It is the most prominent flavor…easily. It does have a slight maple doughnut flavor to it. There’s smoky flavor that follows. It’s not bacon, but it works pretty well with the sweet flavors. You really have to experience it to appreciate it. Light grassy hops and yeast round things out. Alcohol is buried. Finishes with a mix of sweet maple and smoke. It’s pretty good. Not great, but pretty darn good.

The body is on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation seems active, but it’s relatively soft. It definitely goes down easy. Given its size and the flavor, I won’t have any problem polishing off the 750.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale is surprisingly pretty good stuff. The mix of smoky and sweet flavors works better than you might expect. Just grab a bottle and try it out. Now if only I could get to Oregon to try one of these doughnuts….

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

3.33/5  rDev +6.4%

750 ML poured into a snifter

Pours hazy orange red with a one finger off white head. This beer smells like a campfire. There is a ton of smoked malts of all different kinds. There is a also a lot of maple in here. This beer smells exactly like waffles and nice smokey bacon on the side. There is not a ton of bacon flavor but theres a lot of smokeyness and I can definitely imagine it. This beer is petty heavy for 5.6 and is honestly a challenge to drink a lot of. This beer is certainly one of a kind and though I have tried it, I really don't see the need to try again. This is ther perfect beer to split among a few friends and get a laugh out of how strange it is.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.87/5  rDev +23.6%

750 ml bottle. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy orange/amber color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. I like the aroma of this brew a lot, it smells pretty much just like it's named. Maple, bacon/smoked meat, and sugary doughnuts. Taste is mostly like the aroma, but not as strong. I think the maple flavor is strongest, along with some smoked meat/bacon. There's also a slight bitterness noticeable too. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a little bit sticky and has moderate carbonation. It's a pretty interesting brew, I liked it.

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

2.02/5  rDev -35.5%

Had this at a party in a sample glass. I could not get the smell and taste washed out, so I had to utilize another tasting glass for the remainder of the evening.

The first sip was kind of fun when you think "Hey, this is a beer!"...After that, it's "why can't I get this taste out of my mouth?"

The maple and bacon over power beyond anything anyone should want no matter what the medium.

After all that, I am surprised to see this returned a year later. Some things are better off retired for good.

2.58/5  rDev -17.6%

750mL into a tulip. Pours a clear amber w/ a thick beige head, moderate carb. For some reason I expected this to look like a stout.

Aroma is fresh maple bars right off the bat, backed up by a medicinal, smoky quality. Unique smell vacillates between enticing and offensive. Hard to give it a score because sometimes it's a 4.5 and sometimes it's a 2.

Taste is god-awful. Was afraid of this. The smoky medicinal aroma is amplified in the taste, along with sour cherries and a vaguely rancid flavor. Smokiness is overdone and masks the maple and anything else. Acrid and overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium-bodied. Hard to really distinguish mouthfeel from taste though.

Overall, I couldn't do it. Drainpour. I guess I have to give credit to Rogue for attempting this, but I might have given them more credit for scrapping this beer when they tasted it. Just can't imagine they thought this actually tastes good.

2.82/5  rDev -9.9%

Average pour yields close to a half a glass of foam, settle initially around two fingers, bigger bubbles give it airiness which gets it to then settle around a finger plus before resuming dissolve down to the surface and just a few islands of foam left, creates close to no lacing. Cloudy bronzed colored liquid, like is was tanning with Bain de Soleil on, fades to yellow at the rims, bubbles close to visibly absent. The nose has a rubber scent, like a new car mat or something, then maple and cinnamon, caraway seeds, spiced oranges, pancake batter, very light hint of bacon fat or sweet smokiness, no noticeable fruit presence, trails off quickly without much length. Medium-bodied, lack of carbonation helps it seem heavier and thicker on the tongue. More baked ham and pork than true bacon, the molasses and maple obvious. Orange rind, baking spices, pecans, minor pine and floral accents. The smokiness lacks concentration and thus it’s missing lift. Likewise, kind of expected it to be sweeter with more depth to the maple flavoring. Not horrible but uninspired and uninspiring.

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

It pours a hazy amber, 1 finger head of foam, very good lacing.

The darn thing smells like a doughnut, some strong bacon notes there as well. Oh yeah, maple in abundance. How's this all going to taste??

Like it smell, you big dummy! Bacon, some smoke, maple, doughnut...did I miss anything? I don't think so.

Fairly light bodied, good level of carbonation, I keep sipping and saying to myself, really?

I'd much prefer a smaller bottle, not because of its strong abv, which it hasn't, but because it's starting to wear on my tastebuds and I haven't finished my first glass yet. Still, it won't be a drain pour.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales