Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Smoked Beer

13 Ingredients:
Briess Cherrywood Smoked Malt, Weyermann Beechwood Smoked Malt, House-smoked Hickory Malt, Great Western 2 Row, Munich, C15, C75 Malts; Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Pure Maple Flavoring, Rogue Micro Hopyard Revolution & Independent Hops, Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast

Specs:
14º PLATO
76 AA
30º Lovibond

Added by msubulldog25 on 09-01-2011

Ratings: 1,684 |  Reviews: 416

3.17/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a one finger off-white head that vanishes leaving no lace. Hazy amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Strong maple syrup nose and flavor is smoked maple flavor and bacon that makes for a strange tasting beer. Smokey finish. $12.95 for a 750ml pink bottle from Made in Oregon Portland, Or.

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

2.59/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

24oz bomber into a straight mug!

pours a simple brownish color thats lightens up when it reaches the foamy head. minimal lace

maple maple maple and thats about it. no bacon whatsoever.

ummm, where did the maple go? where did anything go? wheres the beef man? this beers falls flat. i guess if you take a pirate swig you get some maple but its mostly the aftertaste

light bodied almost like a light beer

do not buy seriously...i paid 14.99 for this and not only do i feel ripped off i feel like pressing rape charges against the store i bought this from. its not a bad beer just misleading

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.47/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours murky brown with a white head quickly receding. No lacing.

TONS of maple in the aroma. Maple and a bready sweetness. Smoke is present, but very much in the background.

Smoke flavor is much more pronounced in the taste, but the maple is still strong. The closest comp I can find is this taste like a McGriddle in liquid form. Loads of maple and smoked meats with a bready blanket. Sort of an extreme version of maple sausage.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

I was scared to try this one, but it wasn't too bad. Granted, it's not great either and not something I'll likely try again. It got a little tiring by the end of my pour as the smoke flavors were so dominant. Still interested and worth a try.

1.43/5  rDev -54.3%

Pours a murky almost dingy brown. The smell was of smoky burnt maple bacon which i did not find that pleasant. It tasted much the same..with the burnt smoky flavors dominating. Mouthfeel was thin but the beer left my mouth feeling coated in bacon grease. I struggled with this beer though it did seem to improve as i smoked a cigarette which was the only time i detected any sweetness. the beer does deliver on the smoky meaty flavor but it just didnt work for me.

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

2.78/5  rDev -11.2%

A: light maple brown with blonde head.

S: Very strong maple with salty pork and malty finish.

T: The sweet maple hit strong as it rolled into the bacon then a crisp ale finish. A little too sweet overall for my taste.

M: Light but thick are the only words that comes to mind. Very different.

O: The bottle is awesome, that's a plus. For being a maple/bacon ale I got what was expected. Voodoo doughnuts and Rogue have made a baby. It might be an ugly one, but I can't help but like it just because it's so different.
I almost had to think of this as something other than beer.

4.62/5  rDev +47.6%

A-Amber colored with a thick dark cream colored head.

S-okay this smells like a maple bacon donut. Definitely smoked bacon. Smells like something I want to eat.

T-comes in with an awesome sweet smokiness. It sorta resembles bacon but I definitely get some maple. It tastes like smoked applewood. It's awesome actually. The after-taste is awesome flavor of sweet smoke. The flavors are clean and clear.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a creamy finish

O-okay, I love this. It tastes better than any other smoke beer I've ever had. I admittedly love the style though. This is wonderful. The flavors are strong and goes down so well!

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

1.4/5  rDev -55.3%

One word sums it up for me: ghastly. Up front is an unbearably sweet maple syrup onslaught. Closely behind is a hardwood smoked pork fat note of unsurpassing unpleasantness, sliding the beer into a off-key bittersweet realm. Sweetness rises again, with the smokey note clinging for dear life. The combination of flavors held great promise, but the final product went horribly wrong. Undrinkable and resides among my bottom ten beers of all time.

2.91/5  rDev -7%

The beer is hazy brown with an off white head. The smell offers sweet malts, fruit. More smoke emerges in the flavor. Thin and sweet with a strange finish. The doughnut aspect comes through to a certain degree, but this beer is a bit of a mess, as the sweet, smokey doughnut thing just isn't doing it for me.

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Served chilled in a Sierra Nevada pint glass

A - pours a murky brown-orange, brown tinged white head that clears quickly to leave a thin layer of head

S - certainly the high point of the beer for me, smells strongly of maple and breadiness, not much of the smoke comes through here

T - smoke flavor is huge up front, in the middle, and at the end. Some bitterness in the end, but overall, it left me thinking I had just woken up from a hard night out at Mondays in Madison circa 1999, post a few g&t's and a pack of parliament lights. To put it differently, they could have been more subtle with the smoke

M - thinner than expected, but hard to notice much else than the smoke

O - I was not sure what to expect with this one, and I really tried to judge on the style, but man, that was not something I could even drink a half glass of. I really tried, but it was a bit too much for me. I could see liking this more if I were really into smoked beers, but I couldn't really get past that. Glad I tried it, but I won't be picking up this one again.

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

1.85/5  rDev -40.9%

S: When I first opened it and took a sip of it, it smelled exactly as you would expect, maple and bacon, although not very strongly.

T: The beer tastes like a pale ale that has been mixed with maple in an ash tray. What I was hoping would be a nice bacon flavor to offset the maple instead was closer to bacon that had been left until it was blackened. When it hit the middle of my mouth it made me gag.

O: I bought it because it seemed so insane it had to be at least mildly interesting. I was wrong.

Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale from Rogue Ales